The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Leveraging IoT in the construction and renewable energy industries - online business / blog idea

Idea threads

brianF16

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Aug 28, 2016
Dublin, Ireland
Taking my interests online: construction, renewables, and tech combined.

I am looking at setting up an online business. I have deliberated over many different avenues for quite some time now and believe that this is my best approach for getting started because I have plenty of experience and knowledge in these areas.

I would like to create a content based online business that related to construction / renewable energy and how the internet of things benefits these industries. Initially this is a blog (I have some articles written but haven't laughed yet) and eventually I will look to start monitising the blog and turn it into an online business.

I have a particular interest in how tech and IoT can be leveraged in these industries and how to capatilise on this instead of being the human that is turfed to the side once the robots take the jobs.

The main aim of this business is to provide unique value to like minded people and to eventually create enough income to support me so that I can venture into more elaborate business ventures that I am eager to pursue.

I have plenty of ideas for income generation, however, I am not sure it will work or if this is worth pursuing.

My questions for you are:
- is a content based online business / blog still a viable way to break away from a 9-5 or set up a second income stream?
- has any of you brought your construction or tech relate experience online through means of a consultancy or content based business? If so, I would love to hear from you.
- any thoughts on the subjects or the combination of them are welcomed.

Should you have any other tips or questions then leave a comment and I'll be sure to respond.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Thanks for all the responses and insight. I have a better grasp of the 'fastlane' mindset now and the value of an 'idea.'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia
Is it fastlane?

It all depends on what you will do and how you will do it.
There are millions of people who are interested in pretty much anything, your goal is to reach them.

1. What product will you sell with your blog? (blogging without having a product to sell to your audience is a penny-mining)
2. Who are you and what's your value? What exactly can you bring to your potential audience?
3. How much money are you willing to invest? (pm me with exact numbers and I'll genuinely will point you the least expensive way to get there)
4. Where are you from? Do you know people in your local area, who are interested in your subject? (advertising and partnership possibilities)

If you're serious about it, share details right here and people will help you. The more we know the better we can help.

brianF16

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Aug 28, 2016
Dublin, Ireland
@devine

Thanks for the response.

I'm a civil engineer, involved in renewable energy projects. Mainly project management and construction management experiences.

I'm trying to break away from the slow lane and capitalise on the introduction of IoT into these industries.

I've a keen interest in tech and IoT and am looking to set up my blog to represent myself online and to become an industry influencer.

I'll PM you with digits. Thanks for the offer.

I recently relocated to Dublin. I knew people who had similar interests in the previous city I lived in and I hope to create a network here too.

Overall, I'm interested in combining the industries and technology mentioned above. However, I'm open to suggestions on better ways to get into the fastlane instead of a blog.

Thanks.

I don't have any ebook/product idea yet but I'm constantly trying to find a need in this space and the intention is to create products to fill it.

brianF16

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Aug 28, 2016
Dublin, Ireland
Is it fastlane?

It all depends on what you will do and how you will do it.
There are millions of people who are interested in pretty much anything, your goal is to reach them.

1. What product will you sell with your blog? (blogging without having a product to sell to your audience is a penny-mining)
2. Who are you and what's your value? What exactly can you bring to your potential audience?
3. How much money are you willing to invest? (pm me with exact numbers and I'll genuinely will point you the least expensive way to get there)
4. Where are you from? Do you know people in your local area, who are interested in your subject? (advertising and partnership possibilities)

If you're serious about it, share details right here and people will help you. The more we know the better we can help.

@devine

Thanks for the response.

I'm a civil engineer, involved in renewable energy projects. Mainly project management and construction management experiences.

I'm trying to break away from the slow lane and capitalise on the introduction of IoT into these industries.

I've a keen interest in tech and IoT and am looking to set up my blog to represent myself online and to become an industry influencer.

I'll PM you with digits. How do you PM on this? I searched but couldn't find any option. Thanks for the offer.

I recently relocated to Dublin. I knew people who had similar interests in the previous city I lived in and I hope to create a network here too.

Overall, I'm interested in combining the industries and technology mentioned above. However, I'm open to suggestions on better ways to get into the fastlane instead of a blog.

Thanks.

I don't have any ebook/product idea yet but I'm constantly trying to find a need in this space and the intention is to create products to fill it.

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia
@devine
Thanks for the response.
I'll PM you with digits. How do you PM on this? I searched but couldn't find any option. Thanks for the offer.

Thanks.

No problem, you're always welcome Brian.
Recently @Fox came up with a great validation tool to evaluate one's approach. Look at highlighted parts of your message:
I hope to create a network here too.
Overall, I'm interested in combining the industries and technology mentioned above.
Now, neither I or anyone else is here to critique, just look at how you put it, how much emphasis is on you and not on your potential audience.
You can have a top-notch website, @Andy Black and @The-J will make your ads effective and your content actually convert, but first you need something of substance. You need good content that fulfills people's needs. No intention or "I want" has ever created value, value is created by effort and at this moment you don't have anything ready yet. You might want to start with writing a single article, post it here and see how it goes first.

Also, don't try, just do things.

Pm by clicking on username and push "start conversation".
Have a good day.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Last edited by a moderator:

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
@Fox[/USER] came up with a great validation tool to evaluate one's approach. Look at highlighted parts of your message:

Thanks for the rep. Ya I use this sometimes when I write about business. If I am writing "I", "me", "I want", "I need" a lot then I need to go back and change my approach. No one cares about you, they care about themselves.

brianF16

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Aug 28, 2016
Dublin, Ireland
No problem, you're always welcome Brian.
Recently @Fox came up with a great validation tool to evaluate one's approach. Look at highlighted parts of your message:

Now, neither I or anyone else is here to critique, just look at how you put it, how much emphasis is on you and not on your potential audience.
You can have a top-notch website, @Andy Black and @The-J will make your ads effective and your content actually convert, but first you need something of substance. You need good content that fulfills people's needs. No intention or "I want" has ever created value, value is created by effort and at this moment you don't have anything ready yet. You might want to start with writing a single article, post it here and see how it goes first.

Also, don't try, just do things.

Pm by clicking on username and push "start conversation".
Have a good day.

Thanks @devine

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
@devine

Thanks for the response.

Thanks.

Dublin Ireland?

Based on what @devine picked up from the way you worded your first few posts, you may want to listen to the radio interview linked to in my signature.

ArcherCarmic

Action, Reflection, Repeat
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Jul 27, 2016
Canada
@devine

... I'm a civil engineer, involved in renewable energy projects. Mainly project management and construction management experiences.

I'll PM you with digits. Thanks for the offer...

Hey Brian,

With experience in those industries, do you think you would be better served to solve a problem using existing/emerging tech instead of blogging about it? There's nothing wrong with blogging about it, and I think it's a good idea, but I get a sense that it feels more like a mandatory stepping stone to you than something you truly want to do.

The IoT ("Internet of things" for those wondering) in these arenas will largely come about using mesh networks and boatloads of sensors capturing all sorts of data previously uncollected. What you do with said data is what matters. What could you improve? Safety? Logistics? Speed of Implementation? I don't know, I can only guess because I have no solid experience in that industry, but here's the thing: you do. These older brick and mortar businesses are ripe for disruption, but there is a balance to be met where adoption/educating users needs to be as easy or easier than what they are doing now; or better yet they do nothing different but get more useful information and/or performance from your solution.

What are the biggest pain points for those in your role, your industry? Can you think of a better solution that leverages technology?

(Bonus points for following Peter Diamandis, he publishes cool shit on the regular about disruption of industry and emerging tech.)

Justin Gesso

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Jun 4, 2014
Colorado
Taking my interests online: construction, renewables, and tech combined.

I am looking at setting up an online business. I have deliberated over many different avenues for quite some time now and believe that this is my best approach for getting started because I have plenty of experience and knowledge in these areas.

I would like to create a content based online business that related to construction / renewable energy and how the internet of things benefits these industries. Initially this is a blog (I have some articles written but haven't laughed yet) and eventually I will look to start monitising the blog and turn it into an online business.

I have a particular interest in how tech and IoT can be leveraged in these industries and how to capatilise on this instead of being the human that is turfed to the side once the robots take the jobs.

The main aim of this business is to provide unique value to like minded people and to eventually create enough income to support me so that I can venture into more elaborate business ventures that I am eager to pursue.

I have plenty of ideas for income generation, however, I am not sure it will work or if this is worth pursuing.

My questions for you are:
- is a content based online business / blog still a viable way to break away from a 9-5 or set up a second income stream? Is it fast lane?
- has any of you brought your construction or tech relate experience online through means of a consultancy or content based business? If so, I would love to hear from you.
- any thoughts on the subjects or the combination of them are welcomed.

Should you have any other tips or questions then leave a comment and I'll be sure to respond.

Thanks in advance.

I also think this is a fascinating area with massive market potential that is set to grow faster than smartphones did.

However, a content-based business in this area might be tough to monetize. This is a B2B arena with established players. PTC, in particular, is gobbling up competitors and starting contracts with companies at 80% below list price just so they can grab market share. They have consultants that go onsite, learn the needs of particular businesses, and then execute on a plan.

Larger businesses tend to operate in this model.

Overall, your content may grab the interest of an executive somewhere, but it may just trigger them to start an engagement with a company like PTC.

There's ton of money to be made in this area, I would just think hard about how you could monetize what you're doing. And it would probably have to fit in the traditional big B2B buying models (executive relationships, procurement departments, approved vendors, etc...).

One possible route is to create the content, then have an up-and-coming company buy that content from you for their marketing purposes. Probably a long shot, though.

Justin Gesso

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Jun 4, 2014
Colorado
PS - Tell me your web address once the content is up. I can always use good IoT resources and would be happy to provide feedback.

brianF16

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Aug 28, 2016
Dublin, Ireland
I also think this is a fascinating area with massive market potential that is set to grow faster than smartphones did.

However, a content-based business in this area might be tough to monetize. This is a B2B arena with established players. PTC, in particular, is gobbling up competitors and starting contracts with companies at 80% below list price just so they can grab market share. They have consultants that go onsite, learn the needs of particular businesses, and then execute on a plan.

Larger businesses tend to operate in this model.

Overall, your content may grab the interest of an executive somewhere, but it may just trigger them to start an engagement with a company like PTC.

There's ton of money to be made in this area, I would just think hard about how you could monetize what you're doing. And it would probably have to fit in the traditional big B2B buying models (executive relationships, procurement departments, approved vendors, etc...).

One possible route is to create the content, then have an up-and-coming company buy that content from you for their marketing purposes. Probably a long shot, though.

Thanks @Justin Gesso

The overall consensus to date is that a content based website isn't the best approach here and it may be a futile effort. Therefore, I may be better focusing on what I know about these industries and where I can create a product or service to fill a significant need.

I am in the process of setting up a website as a landing page / personal portal and I'll share that link when it is live.

brianF16

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Aug 28, 2016
Dublin, Ireland
Dublin Ireland?

Based on what @devine picked up from the way you worded your first few posts, you may want to listen to the radio interview linked to in my signature.

Yes, I've read the book and am currently listening to the audio now, and I'll probably re-read the book again soon.

Thanks for the links - great insight.

Yes, Dublin Ireland. Any good meetups in the area that you are aware of?

Last edited by a moderator:

brianF16

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Aug 28, 2016
Dublin, Ireland
Hey Brian,

With experience in those industries, do you think you would be better served to solve a problem using existing/emerging tech instead of blogging about it? There's nothing wrong with blogging about it, and I think it's a good idea, but I get a sense that it feels more like a mandatory stepping stone to you than something you truly want to do.

The IoT ("Internet of things" for those wondering) in these arenas will largely come about using mesh networks and boatloads of sensors capturing all sorts of data previously uncollected. What you do with said data is what matters. What could you improve? Safety? Logistics? Speed of Implementation? I don't know, I can only guess because I have no solid experience in that industry, but here's the thing: you do. These older brick and mortar businesses are ripe for disruption, but there is a balance to be met where adoption/educating users needs to be as easy or easier than what they are doing now; or better yet they do nothing different but get more useful information and/or performance from your solution.

What are the biggest pain points for those in your role, your industry? Can you think of a better solution that leverages technology?

(Bonus points for following Peter Diamandis, he publishes cool shit on the regular about disruption of industry and emerging tech.)

Hi @ArcherCarmic

Yes, you're right and the intention of the blog was to act as s spring board towards a business that provides a product like this.

You offer interesting and valuable points above on what the product should offer. Thanks.

'Following Peter Diamandis:' on this forum or in general?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Yes, I've read the book and am currently listening to the audio now, and I'll probably re-read the book again soon.

Thanks for the links - great insight.

Yes, Dublin Ireland. Any good meetups in the area that you are aware of?
I'm sure there's good meetups in Dublin but I don't venture in that often, and I'm not a meetup kind of guy tbh. I prefer one-to-one chats.

There's a few other TFLF members in Ireland. I don't know whether they ever met up. There's a meetup thread somewhere.

I'm out in Co Kildare so PM me if you're ever passing through and we can meet for a coffee.

brianF16

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Aug 28, 2016
Dublin, Ireland
I'm sure there's good meetups in Dublin but I don't venture in that often, and I'm not a meetup kind of guy tbh. I prefer one-to-one chats.

There's a few other TFLF members in Ireland. I don't know whether they ever met up. There's a meetup thread somewhere.

I'm out in Co Kildare so PM me if you're ever passing through and we can meet for a coffee.

I will for sure. Looking forward to it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.