The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Web 3.0 (Ethereum) is happening, and most people have no idea what it even is.

ZeroTo100

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Feb 2, 2016
New York City / New Jersey

TheNewRich

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
May 17, 2017
usa
2 articles I wanted to share on Ether and also ICO's that I read in Forbes this month.

The Emperor's New Coins: How Initial Coin Offerings Fueled A $100 Billion Crypto Bubble

I'd also like to share this to the forum that I found very interesting

Celebrity Investor Mark Cuban is About to Participate in His First ICO - CoinDesk

Disclosure: I hold no positions in ether, bitcoin, or any other cryptocurrency.
I like that one on Unikrn, I found it very interesting as well.

terrabyte

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Nov 16, 2013
IA
As a software developer, as soon as I read about Ethereum, I knew it was going to be a big hit. The idea of having one's code in the blockchain (Smart Contracts) opens a whole new paradigm in software solutions.

I tried to invest in mining it back when Ether was 9 cents each. I kept running into problems with my cards accepting the purchases. If I had been successful, that Ether would be work $400K today. Instead of having yet another time-travel regret moment, I am just spending all of my nights learning how to program Smart Contracts in Solidity and the related software stack, running private nodes, etc. I will earn my riches the the old fashioned way: building something of value.

FYI, the Semantic Web was the first attempt to grab the "Web 3.0" moniker.

Hyrum

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
359%
Jul 5, 2016
Nebraska
It actually costs merchants about $16B a year to accept debit cards, I don't consider it's *very little* to be honest.

Yeah, but compared to the 2.3 trillion in debit card transactions, it works out to be 0.6 cents per dollar. I know with my merchant account I don't get charged swipe fees and pay 0% on all Pin-based debit card transactions. It's the credit card fees that get you.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Danny Duong

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 1, 2017
Bethesda, MD
Yeah, but compared to the 2.3 trillion in debit card transactions, it works out to be 0.6 cents per dollar. I know with my merchant account I don't get charged swipe fees and pay 0% on all Pin-based debit card transactions. It's the credit card fees that get you.
My point is that it's not trivial, especially in micropayment. If you have a charge of $10, the average fee is a little more than 2% (don't forget the fixed flat fee).

What are the Interchange Fees on a $10 Visa Debit Card Sale?

TheNewRich

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
May 17, 2017
usa
Is MEW still a reliable place to keep my XRP?

Just read a couple articles one stating

"It is best to keep your XRP on a hardware wallet for maximum security. It should be noted that every Ripple wallet must initially be funded with a 20 XRP reserve in order to protect against low level spam attacks.

Ledger Nano S is currently the only reliable hardware wallets for storing XRP and a number of other cryptocurrencies. You can read our review about it here. "

Or is this just some AM scheme to get me to D/L Ledger Nano?

Billythekid

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Oct 20, 2016
Poland
I ve read your posts and maybe you writing about this. But i See you trading this ETH and others ones in market buy/sell. Does anyone thinkig about own miners (few computers with a lot of graphic cards) i think its , better way than buy preorder and sell.

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
I ve read your posts and maybe you writing about this. But i See you trading this ETH and others ones in market buy/sell. Does anyone thinkig about own miners (few computers with a lot of graphic cards) i think its , better way than buy preorder and sell.

If I'm reading your post correctly which is a little hard (sorry I'm just saying), then it all depends on what you want to mine.

If you're thinking about mining Ethereum, sure you can do it! But the difficulty increases constantly. Your hardware which you spend however much on buying + power costs + increased difficulty can sometimes render mining a useless endeavour.

If you can got the machinery put together for a reasonable price and your energy costs are not too high? Sure you can make a profit.
But it all depends on the price of Ethereum too. If it goes up, the difficulty tends too also. You might be better off just buying some and holding it.

Check out CoinWarz and other mining calculators (like WhatToMine - Crypto coins mining profit calculator compared to Ethereum) before buying any hardware.

Also worth noting; Ethereum is supposed to be moving away from mining at some point in the future, meaning if your main focus is Ethereum then your hardware will be useless at some point in the future. (You can mine other stuff with it of course).

ZeroTo100

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Feb 2, 2016
New York City / New Jersey
So...I know this thread had been focused on investing in ETH, but what entrepreneurs should really be focusing on is how we can serve the the crypto market?

What makes it a decent market? It's new and a lot of people don't know much about it - check! It also has its problems - check! There's a possibility that the future of this market could be HUGE - check!

Now, where does the real opportunity exist. I can tell you that for guys like me that take educated risk, it's probably isn't in trading the stuff. No doubt, there are some people getting wealthy (oh weeeee) but it's more likely that people are getting burned big time trading it.

What I find fascinating about cryptos is, aside from the ups and downs of the market and even if you were comfortable with making an investment, you still have to be comfortable with knowing how to actually execute that investment. Like, you can't just go to fidelity and put a purchase order in. You have to know how to use wallets safely or trust that exchanges like kraken are in your best interest (which I don't).

Opportunity 1. Teach people how to do this stuff. Guides, Courses, Ebooks, Groups.

There's also got to be thousands of people out there that probably want to make an investment but want to spread there investment out. Or, maybe they're concerned with using exchanges to execute their orders. I expect to see a lot of holding companies forming with multiple coins/currencies reducing the risk of executing an odder and spreading out the risk for the investor similar to the way mutual funds work.

Opportunity 2. If you're already successful trading this stuff, a holding company might be a good idea.

I also think there is going to be a opportunity for cyber security here - there already is. It's funny, cryptos are supposed to be super secure but yet all you hear about is hacking and money lost.

Opportunity 3. Crypto security firms

Look at the startup world. ICO's are happening. Again, I'm not talking about trading this stuff but if that's you fine. I'm talking about helping startups, businesses raise money with their ICO's.

Opportunity 4. Helping companies market their ICO's, create their own coins, etc.

Just trying to spur some creative thinking outside the realm of trading this stuff and where the real opportunities are.

I hold zero investments in crypto currency.

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
So...I know this thread had been focused on investing in ETH, but what entrepreneurs should really be focusing on is how we can serve the the crypto market?

It hasn't really been focused on investing in it, lots of people have mentioned blockchain technology and creating DAPPS.

What makes it a decent market? It's new and a lot of people don't know much about it - check! It also has its problems - check! There's a possibility that the future of this market could be HUGE - check!

Now, where does the real opportunity exist. I can tell you that for guys like me that take educated risk, it's probably isn't in trading the stuff. No doubt, there are some people getting wealthy (oh weeeee) but it's more likely that people are getting burned big time trading it.

Great points.

What I find fascinating about cryptos is, aside from the ups and downs of the market and even if you were comfortable with making an investment, you still have to be comfortable with knowing how to actually execute that investment. Like, you can't just go to fidelity and put a purchase order in. You have to know how to use wallets safely or trust that exchanges like kraken are in your best interest (which I don't).

Opportunity 1. Teach people how to do this stuff. Guides, Courses, Ebooks, Groups.

You can buy Bitcoin, Ethereum, and Litecoin as easy as you can buy a book from Amazon. Keeping it on the places where you can buy it that easily isn't very safe though.

Guides, Courses, Ebook, Groups, yes they're out there all already, mostly free too. Add forums, reddit subs, discord channels, telegram groups etc. etc. etc. and guides, courses etc are very well covered.

The biggest opportunity in that area is selling a trade recommendation based newsletter. I know of 3 that must be making decent returns.

Prices: $39 per month, $69 per year, and $99 for a report. But if you don't trade? Good luck making a product in that area.

There's also got to be thousands of people out there that probably want to make an investment but want to spread there investment out. Or, maybe they're concerned with using exchanges to execute their orders. I expect to see a lot of holding companies forming with multiple coins/currencies reducing the risk of executing an odder and spreading out the risk for the investor similar to the way mutual funds work.

Opportunity 2. If you're already successful trading this stuff, a holding company might be a good idea.

ETFs and Mutual Funds are coming, some may already exist as far as I know. I'll have to look that up. (Lots of Scam and MLMs to be careful of too).

I also think there is going to be a opportunity for cyber security here - there already is. It's funny, cryptos are supposed to be super secure but yet all you hear about is hacking and money lost.

Opportunity 3. Crypto security firms

"Cryptos are supposed to be secure" this again? Try and hack a hardware wallet. Or steal the tokens from a paper wallet.

The problem isn't that crypto isn't secure, it's that centralised places that store crypto are prone to attack.

If everyone using it stored it correctly you would hardly ever hear of a single hack taking places.

Cyber security is a great business area to focus on no doubt, but the problem area is generally the web based side of things and not the blockchain side of things.

Look at the startup world. ICO's are happening. Again, I'm not talking about trading this stuff but if that's you fine. I'm talking about helping startups, businesses raise money with their ICO's.

Opportunity 4. Helping companies market their ICO's, create their own coins, etc.

This could be a great area to focus on, but remember that a lot of ICOs have built in referral systems and the buzz they generate is typically huge.

Creating tokens is pretty easy from what I can tell, but I haven't looked into this much yet.

I know you can create your own tokens for whatever purpose on certain platforms that allow you to.

Just trying to spur some creative thinking outside the realm of trading this stuff and where the real opportunities are.

I hold zero investments in crypto currency.

All good ideas, but the market is already past a lot of these points, or moving towards them rapidly. Sure you can do something within these realms, but developing a blockchain solution to a problem, or creating a DAPP is probably where the real opportunity lies.

Alxander

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Mar 5, 2015
I'm all in(to) NEO currently, there is just a article posted on Forbes even
They call it the "Chinese Ethereum", the smart contracts can be developed in C#, what enables much more developers to build on it.

I bought it at 7 dollars, 2 weeks ago, it just hit 33,40 a second ago and it isn't stopping. Holding it long term :D

baemes

Problem Solver
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
May 26, 2017
I'm all in(to) NEO currently, there is just a article posted on Forbes even
They call it the "Chinese Ethereum", the smart contracts can be developed in C#, what enables much more developers to build on it.

I bought it at 7 dollars, 2 weeks ago, it just hit 33,40 a second ago and it isn't stopping. Holding it long term :D
what exchange can you get it on

Alxander

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Mar 5, 2015
what exchange can you get it on
You need to buy BTC or ETH on a site like coinbase (there are better ones tho, I used litebit.eu but they got hacked once lol).
Transfer the BTC to Bittrex or Binance (Binance has 0 transaction costs for this month and you can keep the GAS you generate by holding NEO, Bittrex has more coins but they don't give you the generated GAS yet, GAS is just another coin, you won't get much of it anyway)

Then just buy NEO with BTC or ETH, and you got it!

I keep my NEO for now in the official NEO wallet, it's little bit safer than on the exchange.
NEO is at just above 30$ now, it could go a bit lower but it could also shoot to 70$ in a week so take your guess :)

Hyrum

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
359%
Jul 5, 2016
Nebraska
Cryptocurrency trading is for chumps, apparently.

Investors-poured-millions-into-a-storage-network-that-doesnt-exist

$53 million raised on a white paper alone. Nothing is built yet. The ICO hasn't happened yet (the money raised is basically an IOU for the ICO). This is shaping up to be a bigger craze then the initial .COM frenzy in the late 90's. Anyone with a half-baked idea that incorporates blockchain is raising big bucks. I'm tempted to float an idea or two out there myself.

Alxander

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Mar 5, 2015

$53 million raised on a white paper alone. Nothing is built yet. The ICO hasn't happened yet (the money raised is basically an IOU for the ICO). This is shaping up to be a bigger craze then the initial .COM frenzy in the late 90's. Anyone with a half-baked idea that incorporates blockchain is raising big bucks. I'm tempted to float an idea or two out there myself.
It's true, there is a lot of speculation right now, if you just know how to profit of it you can make good $ :p

I've thrown a few 100 bucks into Agrello, they want to create smart contracts for legal documents. It's pure speculation whether they succeed or not. The technology will succeed probably, adoption is the question.

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015

Oh yes there's some crazy shit happening with certain ICOs, and some of them are just outright scams.

But, some of them are well worth investing in too...

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
A VERY interesting note I've just picked up on from a book I am reading is this:

Although the Ethereum network is operational today, it is not scheduled to be completed until 2019.

Think you've missed the boat? They've not even cast off yet.

(It could also hit the wall on the way out the harbour yet too I guess :playful:).

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I know almost nothing about this stuff but I needed some crypto coins for a test I was conducting so I put $100 into it a week or so back. Did my thing and left it alone.

Took a look today and that $100 I put in is worth about $126 now.

I accidentally made 26% return on investment.

Still not really planning to get into this game in any real way but as my first trade of anything ever, I think that's pretty cool, haha.

Coalission

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jan 8, 2014
I'm the first person to say that I believe blockchain (and cryptocurrency, in general) is here for the long haul and will revolutionize the world over the next decade.

Not sure where you got that from, but it's certainly not the case.

EDIT: Nevermind, I understand what you mean now. "While I'm the first person to say that blah blah blah...there are short term trading opportunities..."

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Not sure where you got that from, but it's certainly not the case.

He's using a colloquialism.

As in "look, i'll be the first to say that frank herbert is an excellent writer, however some of his later works..."

He doesn't literally mean he's the first person ever to utter that phrase.

VDon

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Jul 27, 2016
I don't get why everybody is talking about "investing" in cryptocurrencies. To me it's pure gambling...

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

coreydean

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Apr 6, 2016
willing to do a little research and take some risk, there is a ton of opportunity.

Where would you recommend we start this research. Cryptocurrency amazes me, and i would love to start trading but it seems like a really complex thing to learn and grasp. I know the basics like buying off of coinbase and adding to bittrex, binance etc but where does one begin to research different ico's and to just gain more knowledge of the market?

Mosfet

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Jan 30, 2016
@JScott Have you done any research on IOTA? It looks to me that it could be that next technology that makes all blockchains irrelevant. But really I am too dumb to understand whether their white paper actually says something or not.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.