The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

We are taught to be slaves

G

GuestUser8117

I think we, the human beings have created a society of slaves. Yes go to school and get a good job. Work all your life until the boss doesn't need you anymore. The structure of the society is made like that. You go to college and they prepare you to be a good little slave. It makes no sense to me. We are meant to live in heaven, this beautiful earth. I wish I was born in heaven. Not slave city. And The government owns you. You make x income and they take you whatever amount they want.

At least we have a choice. Work our !@#$%^&* off to get out of the shitty rat race. And it's not easy of course. Something in the system went wrong. We spend all our life working to survive, not to live. Often or mosty doing jobs that we hate and that are destructive to our health. Lots of us are dead inside. Why would I want to have children so they can live like slaves all their life. This is sad, unless you teach them to live in the Fastlane. And we can't refuse to work because no money = in the street.

You don't have to agree with me but this is how I see things. What do you think?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BeingChewsie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
What do you think?

I think you put yourself in chains. You can step out of them any time you want.
I think these types of threads accomplish nothing.
It provides no value other than to represent the type of mindset you do not want to have.

Sue

jackwilder94

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Oct 7, 2012
I agree with this message, BUT, you should know that this is why we are here, on this forum.

We all aknowledge that, there are countless threads on this, but this kind of threads don't produce any resources, be it more money,time, or anything precious. Seems to be like an "approve me" post.

I'm writing this cause i already spent enough time for my business and wish to relax. Good luck.

MMatt

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Nov 14, 2011
I think we all know this and it is why we are her. We are not blinded by acceptance of society, rather we see that our culture has recently evolved into a society of jobs and employees. It is to be used as drive to succeed, do not let it hold it you down. That's my .02. I share all of the same emotional dissatisfaction as you, but emotion itself will not produce change, the emotion must be used as fuel to not become a "slave".

Sponge

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Apr 6, 2012
Washington DC
Thats the good part about life! If you can make it out the rat race the benefits are well worth it because so many people can drule while you pull up at starbucks in your lambo in some pjs and slippers. Just make sure you are making a persistent effort to get out and not just cool with the chit chatter of it all

million$$$smile

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
703%
Dec 25, 2012
Midwest
Tell that to Zuckenberg,Kawasaki, or any of these

Don't fall for victim mentality.
Beat them at their own game.
Free choice, Free thinking, Free to design your own life.
Look at all the immigrants that are coming into North America with the desire to build a better life. Tell them that your a slave!

Don't be a victim.

Randall

Lights

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Apr 13, 2011
On the Internet
It's the best time to live now than ever before, and be young too. And it's the worst of times as well.

preaching and complaining doesn't get anyone anywhere. And not everyone is meant for the fastlane either, since we need people to work too.

awkwardgenius

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jul 28, 2012
Southern California

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
I think you mean employee, not slaves.

Like it's been said, its a free world, take control of your life, don't let anyone make you do something you don't want to! :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world. The unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. All progress, therefore, depends upon the unreasonable man."

Be unreasonable my friend!
:icon_super:Yeah Yeah Yeah!:coolgleamA:

Ginger

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
May 19, 2012
Tell this to people like Hannibal, Frederick Douglass, and Harriett Tubman! Yeah, we have to slave our asses off to reach the 'promise land,' but you can pretty much live on cruise control once you reap the rewards of all your hard work...

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
What do you think?
I think you need to take ownership over the outcome of YOUR life. It is yours, isn't it? You are not society, you are an individual, with choices. You were born with an advantage (I'm assuming you were born in Canada). If you think most Americans/Canadians/Western Europeans work to simply survive you should take a look at the rest of the world my friend.

Life is what you make it. Look inside, not outside, the world is a reflection of your thoughts and actions.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
G

GuestUser8117

I think you need to take ownership over the outcome of YOUR life. It is yours, isn't it? You are not society, you are an individual, with choices. You were born with an advantage (I'm assuming you were born in Canada). If you think most Americans/Canadians/Western Europeans work to simply survive you should take a look at the rest of the world my friend.

Life is what you make it. Look inside, not outside, the world is a reflection of your thoughts and actions.

Fair enough.

danoodle

Freedom Seeker
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 1, 2011
Kansas, toto
We have access to all of human knowledge in our pockets, yet people choose to watch LOLcats instead. We are living in the greatest era of human history. Sanitation, anesthesia, modern heath care, the miracle of flight. Even the "poor" live better than kings did. Opportunity is everywhere if you are willing to take action and get to work. :)

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Love it. Our smartphones make us way smarter than Einstein for instance.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
F*ck Einstein

FiveOone

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jan 16, 2013
Australia
Speed BeingChewsie, not just for your post here but for all of your wisdom scattered throughout this forum, your insights are great! :thumbsup:
(I hope i did it right!)

tido

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Feb 11, 2013
Houston
Awesome post!! I totally agree, the industrial/information age has produced more slaves to the workforce than any period in history. We're chained to our desk, jailed in our little 8x8 cubicles. Society as a whole, we have seen more and more of the whiners and blamers due to the spread of the endemic of "excuse-itus". The "slaves" or the 99% think that they are entitled to the same privilage of the 1% but refuse to put in the same effort (or any effort at all). I refuse to join them.

BeingChewsie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I refuse to join them.

Then don't ever say the below again, EVER.:

We're chained to our desk, jailed in our little 8x8 cubicles.

No, Nobody is chained to a desk, nobody is jailed in a little cubicle.

It is a lie you tell yourself to make yourself feel better about the choices you are choosing to make. Make different choices.

I don't mean to pick on you tido or on Omerta, but you have to lose the above mindset. It is just -not- true.

People choose the life they live and because they do they can choose a different life. Any time they want.

I say this as someone who used to say the same things. They were not true when I said them either. They are nothing but lies people tell themselves so they don't have to do uncomfortable or hard things.

Sue

D

DeletedUser394

Who cares what I think or what anyone else thinks/does?

You've found the road that appeals most to you, the fastlane, so what are you doing to actually make it? You can criticize a group of people all you want, but you really got to get moving and attack that goal. If that's what you really want, you should be so dedicated and focused that nobody and nothing else matters.

You're in complete control of your own life.

Get rich, make the rules.

tido

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Feb 11, 2013
Houston
Then don't ever say the below again, EVER.:

No, Nobody is chained to a desk, nobody is jailed in a little cubicle.

It is a lie you tell yourself to make yourself feel better about the choices you are choosing to make. Make different choices.

I don't mean to pick on you tido or on Omerta, but you have to lose the above mindset. It is just -not- true.

People choose the life they live and because they do they can choose a different life. Any time they want.

I say this as someone who used to say the same things. They were not true when I said them either. They are nothing but lies people tell themselves so they don't have to do uncomfortable or hard things.

Sue

It is true that we are free to choose our path. However, I did not even realize there was a different path before reading MJ's, Tim Ferris or Seth Godin's books.
From my self intro, I once thought I had everything going for me. A great corporate job for me and my wife, we maxed out our 401Ks and started a 529 plan for my 1 year old kid. I thought that spending 6 days at work was because of my passion for my job.
But reading MJ's book opened my eyes, I was trading 6 for 1. I get to spend 1 day a week playing with my kid:smxE:. My health, my marriage and happiness was deteriating:smxD:. I saw what my colleagues don't see, that we are a just a cog in the big bad corporate world. We were begging for a raise during a 2 year salary freeze, then we found out that our CEO and the likes are getting over $25 mills in bonuses. We're making them rich. AND this is the path that I was "supposed" to be on for another 25-30 years before my "golden years"??? That's is why I now feel like my cube is my jail cell.
I look forward to a brighter future now, I know what I need to do from reading what others have done here to get out of their "jail". I have a lot to learn from this forum, I hope I can write my own get out of jail card (e-commerce stores, mobile apps and many others options here) soon.

G

GuestUser8117

Who cares what I think or what anyone else thinks/does?

You've found the road that appeals most to you, the fastlane, so what are you doing to actually make it? You can criticize a group of people all you want, but you really got to get moving and attack that goal. If that's what you really want, you should be so dedicated and focused that nobody and nothing else matters.

You're in complete control of your own life.

Get rich, make the rules.

Good point. "They" will never understand anyway. I am just saying that society has been so brainwashed that they are blind to the beauty that life has to offer. For me it's not doing mindless repetitive work for 40 years. I think we have a need to change others behaviors, it's in human nature. I like to persuate others. Anyway I'm working on my fastlane business and I learn as much as I can. I have surrender many times but I've learned that we are responsible for what we do, no matter how we feel.

Entourage

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Sep 12, 2012
I disagree completely. We are all born with the same eyes, ears and lungs as any other person. At birth we're all completely the same. It's the choices you make (often from childhood) that determine how you will see through your eyes, what you want to hear (who you surround yourself with, and their ideas) and how much you appreciate breathing through those lungs.

fsna.hartley

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Jan 15, 2013
I wasn't born with business minded parents so for a couple of years my mindset was find a stable job but thank God that I was able to find forums like these and make my own decision not to work again for a regular day job. What we are today is what we have chosen in the past and it is not too late to make a change.

WheelsRCool

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Aug 12, 2007
If you study the history of the public education system, it was originally designed to brainwash people to be obedient employees. It was based off of the Prussian system of education, which was very good at producing soldiers and employees. This is what was originally wanted by industry and big business. Companies did not want people who are well-educated and capable of critical thinking, they wanted obedient types who would just work the assembly line. Nor did politicians. Dumbed-down populations that don't engage in much critical thinking are much easier to win elections with and to sell all sorts of products to in comparison to a population of people where even the lowly assembly-line worker is capable of some serious critical thinking skills.

T. Boone Pickens inadverdently spoke about this in his book "The First Billion Is the Hardest" when he writes about going to work for a large oil company in the 1950s. He said it was just like public school. You'd arrive at work and just like at school, you'd have a short period of time before work/school started, then the bell would ring and you had about five minutes to be at your desk, where you'd work, then the bell would ring again for lunch time and so forth. You had been conditioned by the public school system for this type of industrial work, so you didn't think much about it.

This is why public schools have the different classrooms with the bell that rings and so forth, for social conditioning purposes. Catholic schools and private schools, by contrast, do not have the bell system, as they do not teach in that same manner. The type of education given also was rather stifling. It stifles creativity and individual thought and was purposely meant to stifle this, to stifle the development of adulthood. Human beings arrive at adulthood much earlier in life then modern society lets on. In the old days when humans lived shorter lifespans, there was no concept of the teenage years. A boy became a man at around fourteen to fifteen and a girl became a woman. People took on responsibility early in life and became self-reliant. This was very bad for industry who wanted obedient workers. Also note how back in the 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, the average person didn't go to college. The whole everyone going to college bit didn't start until later on. Back then, most people only at most received a high-school education.

In the Prussian system, a classical education, in which people were taught critical thinking skills and so forth, was reserved for the elite. Now in writing all of this, I am not saying that the American system was centrally-planned from the get-go to brainwash all Americans or that it is designed so today, but a lot of the people involved in setting up our public education system in its early years had this mindset, from educators to businessmen involved. If you look behind-the-scenes even, it is believed that big business played a sizeable role in ending child labor, because one major thing that will develop a child into an adult very quickly is putting the child into the workforce early.

Now today's modern public education system is just the leftover remnants of the original system setup. It retains features like the bell system and so forth, but since then, the world has changed. With the onset of the Space Race in the 1960s, suddenly the education system was changed. All-of-a-sudden, we no longer wanted people to just be trained to be employees, we wanted them to study math and science and engineering and to go through university, as we had to beat the Soviet Union.

In my opinion, modern times has since dumbed-down society in certain ways. Literacy is much greater I believe than the 19th century (though even here it is debatable if literacy was really very low in 19th century America), but if you look at the English used back then, a modern person can barely read it, it is so incredibly wordy. But I'd bet that if you brought into modern times a person from the 19th century and showed them how we write English nowadays, they'd reason we had dumbed-down the English language. In addition, while people became adults much earlier in life back then, in modern times, you have many people retaining the maturity levels of children well into their 20s. I am also not encouraged by seeing how once educational channels such as The Learning Channel (now "TLC") and Discovery Channel have morphed into reality TV networks. Court TV, once a rather intellectual-leaning law-based channel, has become "Tru TV" with all sorts of reality-TV stuff. And even National Geographic has picked up on the reality TV bit.

I believe that the public school system the way it is currently designed, in many ways, does brainwash people to be employees. A lot of people do not even consider trying to become an entrepreneur at all because it never occurs to them. I know I didn't until I started learning about it and my whole entire mindset was changed around. It's like a whole completely different way of seeing the world.

There are some very good books on this subject by John Taylor Gatto, who taught in the New York City public school system for over twenty-five years and was a New York City Teacher of the Year and New York State Teacher of the Year in his career. His most famous is, "The Underground History of American Education: An Intimate Investigation Into the Problem of Modern Schooling." He has also written other works on the subject.

CEBenz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Apr 16, 2011
Tacoma, Wa
While agree with some that there are choices made, how do you know if you have a choice if you've never been exposed to the other options?

As has been mentioned, I'm convinced the public school system is brainwashing people on more than one level.

I'm reminded of a story.
A little boy and his father are at the circus and the little boy sees an elephant held by a tiny chain. He asks his father,"how can they hold such a big powerful animal with so small a chain?"
His dad replies,"you see son, when the elephant is a baby, they attach the chain to keep the baby from wandering off. At that point, they're too small to break it. No matter how much they struggle, it's too strong. So they get used to it being there. As they get bigger, they've stopped struggling and just accept it. That why they can now hold such a large animal with such a large chain."

Astute

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jun 19, 2012
London, UK
Most people are 'slaves' because they know nothing better. Their parents have lived their life in a certain way, their grandparents, their friends. So they cannot see what is around them. They have blinkers on.

If 99% of the public are drones then I see that as something which could be very profitable for myself or any other person smart enough to manipulate that.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.