The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Voluntary Slavery, Is This The Best Business Concept Ever?

Idea threads

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
I have just been made aware (by my 11 year old no less), of a business that utilises a labour force which pays it to work!

We all (hopefully) agree that slavery is wrong, forcing someone to work for you for no money so that you may profit is immoral right? Well how about getting someone to work for you and then getting that person to pay you for the privilege, and what's more, they're more than willing to do so and even thank you for the opportunity, or rather "experience".

I'm talking about truffle hunting. A business whereby you invite people along to come and hunt truffles, they pay you a couple of hundred pounds or dollars depending on your location, they find your product for you, which you sell (mainly to them) and then they go away with a tiny sample and a huge smile on their faces.

It's incredible, you get people to work for you, dress it up as an experience and they pay you!!!

Of course the problem with starting a business like this, is you'll need some land, so it got me thinking; are there any other areas we could apply this "voluntary slavery" model?

Let the brainstorm begin!

1659891097514.png

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
I knew a farmer who got paid to pick up natural waste byproducts (like lawn clippings or food that won't sell) from restaurants, food factories, landscapers, etc. He turns it into high grade compost and sells that to the landscapers. Sometimes, he didn't even have to pick it up, people drop off waste to him and he charges them (a discounted price) for the privilege.

It's not quite "slave" labor, but its the same principle. Make money on your inputs and simply add profit to the bottom line.

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
Well how about getting someone to work for you and then getting that person to pay you for the privilege,
This is the norm in many asian countries. Especially in india.. Getting a job is bloody insane and tenders for highest bidders meaning you pay for your job up front. Many times you pay just to interview!
Obviously this model exists due to othrr reasons but its commonplace unfortunately due to competition

Now on the other hand truffles is another story haha. Not too big of a fan

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Growing up, my sister paid to join a club called 4-H where she would spend multiple hours a week literally shoveling cow shit and taking care of "her cow."

Granted, this paid off for her as she is now one year from being a veterinarian.

Myself, I went to school to become a physical therapist. I paid my school ~$10,000(x4) to work 40 hours a week for 6-8 weeks at a clinic where I made the company a bunch of money. Some of the physical therapy clinics required money from the school(my money) so they could "allow me" to make them money.

I know. I know. I'm an idiot. I was pissed off every waking moment. Huge scam, but this is another example.

Kirk84

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Jun 9, 2020
Munich, Germany
I was thinking: Why not have a paid school for html, css and other web dev stuff and have the participants develop web pages for paying customers (local businesses for example).

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
I knew a farmer who got paid to pick up natural waste byproducts (like lawn clippings or food that won't sell) from restaurants, food factories, landscapers, etc. He turns it into high grade compost and sells that to the landscapers. Sometimes, he didn't even have to pick it up, people drop off waste to him and he charges them (a discounted price) for the privilege.

It's not quite "slave" labor, but its the same principle. Make money on your inputs and simply add profit to the bottom line.

I've heard of a few of these waste product businesses over the years, I do love that idea. It is a similar concept, people paying you and giving you your main product for free. Love it.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
Growing up, my sister paid to join a club called 4-H where she would spend multiple hours a week literally shoveling cow shit and taking care of "her cow."

Granted, this paid off for her as she is now one year from being a veterinarian.

Myself, I went to school to become a physical therapist. I paid my school ~$10,000(x4) to work 40 hours a week for 6-8 weeks at a clinic where I made the company a bunch of money. Some of the physical therapy clinics required money from the school(my money) so they could "allow me" to make them money.

I know. I know. I'm an idiot. I was pissed off every waking moment. Huge scam, but this is another example.

Yeah that's one, but at least you came away with something at the end right? Did you ever make money being a physical therapist after that? Was it a well recognised qualification?

Still though, paying someone to work sucks.

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Yeah that's one, but at least you came away with something at the end right? Did you ever make money being a physical therapist after that? Was it a well recognised qualification?
Ya. I make decent money, but I hate the job. I got a Doctorate of Physical Therapy, but it is just an expensive piece of paper. My diploma says I am a doctor, the cost of my education is that of a doctor, and I get paid far less than a doctor.

I only found MJ's book mid-college. I could either drop out of college with serious debt and no degree or take on more debt and get a degree. I chose the latter.

I'll be switching lanes soon, currently working on a Fastlane business. Hoping to throw that diploma away.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
553%
Apr 17, 2022
Jesus Christ.

Slavery means forcing people to work and threatening them with violence. And it's not just "wrong", it's a crime against humanity.

People pay for labor intensive hobbies all the time: fishing, hunting, skiing, hiking, alpinism etc. That doesn't make them slaves in any shape or form.

Business is all about solving problems, helping people, and providing value. It's not about finding "voluntary slaves" or tricking people into working for you. Having this view is not only counterproductive, but it's also a very psychopathic approach to business and life.

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
I got a good one for you.

Get people excited to learn building techniques, how to use tools, how to work with concrete, pipes, house wiring etc.

Then organize a "workshop" where they get to put said skills into practice, all the while buying their own materials and fixing your own property while paying you.

If thats not a killer deal, I dont know what is.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.