The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Vegan / Vegetarians Only (Chat about lifestyle, opportunities, food, whatever...)

Boogie

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Nov 27, 2014
Midwest, USA
Vegans who are not eating a highly varied diet should also take calcium, zinc, and iron. There's no risk to taking too much zinc so you might as well take it anyway. Iron supplements I'd say are mandatory for women of reproductive age, as they lose a significant amount of blood every month, and calcium supplements might be beneficial for women of menopausal age: vegan or not.

From what I've read, you don't want too much zinc. You can over-do it and cause other issues like copper insufficiency. My friend's son has little ability to taste or smell anything anymore because of zinc. He was taking them in college. He's very frustrated that he can't enjoy food as much anymore. I tried zinc lozenges for colds but I started to get a persistent metallic taste and quit using them.

I supplement with B12, D3, and some sort of iodized salt. It can also be from nori, sea weed. I don't use much salt in food. Without B12, you can get severe memory and neurological issues. It is not worth taking the risk of not supplementing.

Generally when someone tells me they want to lose weight and are interested in vegan foods, I send them this link. The video is all about calorie density and if you understand it, you can figure out how to lose weight with a vegan diet and how to have the feeling of being full.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CdwWliv7Hg&ab_channel=JeffNovick%2CMS%2CRDN

When I went whole food plant based, I lost 2.5 lbs per week for a 1.5-2 months before I added in any exercise. I ate a lot of homemade oil free hummus and I dipped carrots or peppers into it. I also ate other things. I lost a lot of belly fat and gained a lot of endurance. For the first time in years, I was able to start taking flights of stairs and start running.

Some things I learned from the whole food plant based journey:
If you lose weight and don't want to lose weight, it's because you aren't eating enough calories.
If you don't feel full, then you likely aren't stretching your stomach. Just eat more food. People tend to hold back on vegetables for some reason. Eat something bulky with water weight like potatoes.
It's not the potato or corn carb source that's the problem, it's all the crap we have on them. Eat them natural and you will lose weight.
If you get tired or run out of energy on a whole food plant based, you aren't eating enough or it's too sugary and not starchy.

I keep a chart of Dr. Greger's daily dozen checklist on the fridge. It shows how many servings of each kind of food to get a good mix of things to get a wide variety of nutrients. Here's a good intro:
It's not religion. It's a guideline.

I never juice. That to me is the wrong approach. That's just a big sugar rush. Then the pulp gets thrown out. Useless. It's the exact opposite of whole food plant based eating. Way too many calories and no bulk.

The Physicians Committee has a lot of good videos. This one is good. People have this obsession with this idea that vegans don't get enough protein or that you need supplements for protein. Every time someone finds out that I don't eat meat, I invariably get the question, where do you get your protein. There is no lack of protein in vegetables, eg. broccoli is full of it, beans, corn. This video addresses that and supplementation in general.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5DBXQZUfvA&ab_channel=PhysiciansCommittee

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLasU_5RmRA&ab_channel=PhysiciansCommittee

My doctor cautioned me that a lot of people adopt a vegan lifestyle to lose weight but end up gaining weight instead. The thing is that they often just eat a lot of fat, tons of avocadoes, nut butters, fried potatoes, etc and drive their caloric intake up.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
From what I've read, you don't want too much zinc. You can over-do it and cause other issues like copper insufficiency. My friend's son has little ability to taste or smell anything anymore because of zinc. He was taking them in college. He's very frustrated that he can't enjoy food as much anymore. I tried zinc lozenges for colds but I started to get a persistent metallic taste and quit using them.

Interesting, I had no idea.

Great videos & sources. I love the Daily Dozen checklist because it makes it easy.
If you lose weight and don't want to lose weight, it's because you aren't eating enough calories.
If you don't feel full, then you likely aren't stretching your stomach. Just eat more food. People tend to hold back on vegetables for some reason. Eat something bulky with water weight like potatoes.
It's not the potato or corn carb source that's the problem, it's all the crap we have on them. Eat them natural and you will lose weight.
If you get tired or run out of energy on a whole food plant based, you aren't eating enough or it's too sugary and not starchy.

Agreed. A whole-food plant-based diet is not very calorie dense, so people (myself included) end up eating the same volume of food they were eating before and they wonder why they can't keep weight on.

The key phrase is WHOLE FOOD. That is, the less processed, the better. People can choose what level of processing is acceptable for them (whole grains vs. whole grain flours vs. bleached flours; olives vs. EV olive oil vs. EV olive oil spread) but in general, less processed is better.

Why? Two reasons: 1) you lose a great deal of nutrients by processing, and 2) you're extracting the water and fiber from the foods which give the food necessary bulk. The result? High caloric density and low nutrient density. That's what processing food does. And don't get me started on what hydrogenating vegetable oils does to the fats!

The way you cook food matters greatly. Like you said, it's the crap you put on the food. French fries are not the same as a baked potato. A baked potato is downright good for you: packed with nutrients and it's a very satiating food. French fries are, well, french fries. Nuff said.

Another thing: people don't need to eat very frequently on a whole food plant based diet. Some people often think that because they're hungry in between meals that they should eat more meals. It's not necessary: you can eat larger meals! A big bowl of rice, beans, and veg (I'm talking like a liter bowl) has much fewer calories than you think.

For lunch today, I'm going to have a big bowl of rice and red thai curry w/ tofu.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Regarding the nutrition topic...

I put these on everything. They look like Parmesan flakes but have zero taste. They are a nutritional bonanza, including protein.

IMG_1618.JPG

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Hope it's fine to mention this here...

I recently launched a free curated newsletter for vegan athletes. If you're vegan into fitness (or if you're into fitness thinking about switching to veganism), you'll find it valuable. I link to useful articles, videos, tips, recipes, inspirational examples, etc.

You can check the first issues on the site and sign up for the future ones:

I'll be posting 3 more issues in the next few days before switching to a weekly newsletter sent out each Thursday.

Boogie

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Nov 27, 2014
Midwest, USA
Nice job on the site. One of my side projects is a whole food plant based recipe book not in the athletics niche. There's a lot of competition, but we make stuff up so why not.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
I recently started weighing food and counting macros again. This super simple meal provides 50 grams of protein:

lb.jpg

That's 120 grams (4 ounces) of beluga lentils, 240 grams (8 ounces) of red kidney beans out of a jar (I try to avoid canned stuff), and 270 grams (9 ounces) of broccoli.

I wanted to eat it plain like this. If I added a tablespoon or two of nutritional yeast and maybe some sesame seeds, I could even hit 55-60 grams of protein.

With this one meal, you get a non-athlete's recommended daily intake of protein and tons of nutrients. Plus it's super filling, has 41 grams of fiber (more than the recommended daily amount) and provides just 673 calories.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Yikes, keep the windows open or hope for good ventilation! :rofl:

Hahaha thankfully I'm over the adaptation phase and such amounts in one sitting are now fine.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
I'm still killing it in the gym... energy levels are great, and I'm honestly doing a horrible job at eating perfectly.

Pretty good so far :praise: Did some heavy weight today, excited for the next gym session to see how the strength is! Few days ago biked from top to bottom of the Vancouver area aswell, hallelujah for carbs

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
New Unscripted goal...

Have my own garden with fresh veggies, fruits etc.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011

When masculinity means you'd rather die 10 years earlier rather than give up meat.

Also, this is incredible, too:

How do they call it when you'd rather go to jail or die early than give something up?

Abduction? Affliction? Abstriction?

Addiction?

YanC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Sep 18, 2017
France
How do they call it when you'd rather go to jail or die early than give something up?

Addiction?
I'd probably call it stupidity.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)

When masculinity means you'd rather die 10 years earlier rather than give up meat.

Also, this is incredible, too:

Addiction?

I would say it's a little bit of an addiction, food IS addictive.

Fried chicken, bacon and eggs are very tasty foods. And since they are fairly cheap it's alot more accessible to get, especially those 99 cent chicken wings at the bar when you are 10 beers deep.

Speaking for myself, despite knowing how bad Coca Cola or Redbull is, in the past I've indulged, a just a touch to much. Definitely an addiction on my end, when that sugar and caffeine hits oh boy! I'm not into drugs or drinking so gladly can accept a soft drink as a vice for me :rofl:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Thought I'd get some treats and pickup some popcorn, read the ingredients..contains dairy ^_- (and milk) not sure how you put milk in that but anyways...

Bread had dairy in it aswell & some eggs... had to pickup a different brand.

Looked at some protein bars and got fully triggered :rofl:

''Plant based bar''

Reading the ingredients........ contains dairy. Ok!

Even the potato chips I was going to buy had dairy in it, I'm amazed at how much dairy is used in common foods that you wouldn't expect it to be in. Seriously as an entrepreneur if you own a bread factory what is even the point of adding dairy and increasing costs?

Last edited:

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Any pop fans here?

Or is it soda? Who knows, give Jones cane sugar soda a try in watermelon flavor, thank me later, and don't forget to look inside the cap!

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
To mark the 10-year anniversary of the debut of the famous Forks Over Knives documentary, the movie is now streaming for free (you need to enter your email address).

The movie examines the idea of food (and more specifically, plants) as medicine. It follows everyday Americans with chronic conditions (and accompanying medications) as they learn how to use a whole-food, plant-based diet to regain control over their health and their lives.

Speaking of Forks Over Knives, I've been working through their 90-day cooking course. At 34.1% of the course finished, I've already learned many new things. While as a fan of simplicity I don't like all recipes (they often require many different ingredients I never have at home), I'm still glad I enrolled.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Even the potato chips I was going to buy had dairy in it, I'm amazed at how much dairy is used in common foods that you wouldn't expect it to be in.

And now you know why the dairy lobby is one of the largest rackets in North America.

There are 100% successful (tasty) dairy alternatives now available, from butter, to milk, to cheese. Anything Myokos makes rocks.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
I can't add too much more to this thread except my personal experiences and what I do with my whole food plant-based diet.

I made the switch over 4 years ago. Results:
  • Best bloodwork I've ever had.
  • Energy to spare every day.
  • Laser focus(I'm A.D.D. and off my medication for 2 years now).
  • Crushing workouts.
  • I downsized to about 190lbs from a top end of 239lbs. Yea it was muscle, but it was too much.
  • The only medication I take is Humira for psoriasis. This still pisses me off as I've spent 6 years trying different supplements, creams, diet tweaks, and more. I never stop trying though. I still want to stop this naturally.

Supplements:
  • B12: 3,000mcg/1 x wk.
  • Vit C: 500mg/day.
  • Zinc: 30mg/day
  • Vit D3: 2,000 IU/day
  • Fish Oil: 1,400mg/3 x wk
  • Creatine and protein post-workout
  • Melatonin nightly.
All my vitamins are USP verified.
I check my macros periodically to make sure I'm in my preferred ballpark.

I also take supplements specifically for A.D.D. This was a 3yr process and I finally have a great combination, but that's a different topic.

I also supplement for Longevity. Again, another topic.

Tip: Vitamix. This one of the best purchases I've ever made. It allows me to get 2 more servings of greens/veggies/fruits daily. Costco.com usually has the best deal.

I have my bloodwork done every 3 months. No guesswork. There are labs that will do blood work for a reasonable price for whatever you want without a script. I use Sonora Quest Laboratories | Arizona's Leader in Lab Testing but there are others.

I recently saw one of my doctors and she was so happy with my health. She said, "Sadly, your blood work is probably the best I'll see all week." She said most people my age are winding down and getting ready to die. Me...I'm just winding up!

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I recently saw one of my doctors and she was so happy with my health. She said, "Sadly, your blood work is probably the best I'll see all week." She said most people my age are winding down and getting ready to die. Me...I'm just winding up!

Believe me, my wife is a nurse and she comes home with stories daily about people "my age" who are in absolute dog shit condition -- from the obesity, to the medications, to the blood pressure numbers and pre-diabetic blood glucose -- Americans as a whole are a sorry group of people.

And the best rebuttal they got to my vegan food choices is, "Uh, where do you get your protein?" Let me worry about my protein intake, how about you worry about the extra 90 lbs your carrying, your 320 cholesterol, your 150 blood glucose, and your 160 diastolic blood pressure.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Believe me, my wife is a nurse and she comes home with stories daily about people "my age" who are in absolute dog shit condition -- from the obesity, to the medications, to the blood pressure numbers and pre-diabetic blood glucose -- Americans as a whole are a sorry group of people. And the best rebuttal they got to my vegan food choices is, "Uh, where do you get your protein?"

Let me worry about my protein intake, how about you worry about the extra 90 lbs your carrying, your 320 cholesterol, your 150 blood glucose, and your 160 diastolic blood pressure?
Man, I see people like this daily and I feel terrible for them. They've gotten sucked into the advertising from the corps that sell shit they call food.

This comes up in conversations with my customers. I've had so many people say "I couldn't give up meat." In my head, I think "If someone put a gun to your head, would you give up meat?" I even ask people "Why don't you drop some weight?"

Ok. I've gotta stop. I could go on and on. And the protein thing....all day long.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Submitted for 5000 shares on the Oatly IPO. This time I wasn't going to miss it like I did Beyond.

Got accepted for acquisition at 17. My broker only gave me 5 hours to confirm my interest.

And I missed the email, again, just like I missed Beyond Burger. After IPO, Oatly promptly went to 22. $25,000 lost.

0VO

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jun 8, 2016
Ontario
And the best rebuttal they got to my vegan food choices is, "Uh, where do you get your protein?"

Dr Neil Bernard has a great answer for that! I did see him in a conference video where he gave the best example but of course I can't find it... but this still proves the same point more or less.

Zenden

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Oct 14, 2020
I remember seeing Earthlings back in 2012 and afterwards stating to the whole world online how I'm never going to eat meat again. I went to Burger King three days later.

Anyway, a bit over two months ago I revisited the idea and started researching if there was any valid reason not to live on a vegetarian diet. I've been going to the gym since 2009 and recently built a home gym so I didn't want anything to mess up with my training. After coming to the conclusion that there is no reason forcing me to stick with meat-based diet, I replaced the whole kitchen food supply with vegetarian alternatives.

Beans for breakfast, beans for lunch, beans for dinner. When my girlfriend was looking to sue me for methane intoxication I realized there was some more research to be done. I've now tried plain soy, tofu, seitan, tempeh, chickpeas, edamame, oats and finally lentils. Lentils and oats seem to be the best sources of protein for me and I've been positively surprised how painless (at least from my perspective) it was to make the switch once I put my mind into it. There are no cravings, my legs didn't suddenly wither into Chicken McNuggets and on average I'm feeling far more energetic than before!

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Just learned that the aging 36 year old Chris Paul who just carried the Phoenix Suns to an NBA Finals is vegan.

First Tom Brady, and now CP3 -- old guys at the top of their game playing against much younger competition.

But the vegan diet is deficient and also makes vegans mentally and physically deficient. LOL.

Ronak

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
317%
Sep 13, 2013
I've never tasted a meat based hamburger before. I've tried the Impossible Whopper and felt like I haven't really been missing much. It was completely flavorless, especially after all the hullabaloo about how it tastes like "the real thing". Are hamburgers just that tasteless, or did I choose a bad example? I do like the occasional veggie burger, but just not a fan of impossible or even beyond without a lot of extra stuff added for flavor.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.