The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Using LinkedIn for product/service promotion

Social media marketing, advertising, and growth

Olimac21

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 3, 2015
Belo Horizonte, Brasil
I was wondering what is your experience using LinkedIn for finding new customers/ business development. I know this platform is more popular in some countries than another and I am curious to see success/failure cases around this one since is not as massive as Facebook or Instagram but pretty much 100% of the people are business oriented there.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TheSmokey1

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Jul 11, 2017
The World
I don't have an answer for you, but have wondered the same thing.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
LinkedIn is a networking tool. It can be used for networking to prospects, but it is not a good place to do product promotion in hopes of attracting any sort of an audience. If people perceive you as posting spam/ads, you will find yourself with zero connections there. It's not generally used for that, other than updates amongst connections about business milestones.

Azure

Perpetual Motion
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Mar 12, 2016
It can be very effective if your b2b service or product actually provides value to the person you message or reach out to.

Gary

Elevatin' the Celebratin'
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Mar 18, 2011
San Diego
LinkedIn is a networking tool. It can be used for networking to prospects, but it is not a good place to do product promotion in hopes of attracting any sort of an audience. If people perceive you as posting spam/ads, you will find yourself with zero connections there. It's not generally used for that, other than updates amongst connections about business milestones.

@Vigilante

Great meeting you this weekend. And definitely appreciate the opportunity to join you at lunch on Saturday.

From what you've stated above, you're frowning on using LinkedIn's sponsored InMail to reach B2B targets?
Do you feel the same for Ads on LinkedIn?

I'm marketing my outdoor event space to decision makers in San Diego.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
@Vigilante

Great meeting you this weekend. And definitely appreciate the opportunity to join you at lunch on Saturday.

From what you've stated above, you're frowning on using LinkedIn's sponsored InMail to reach B2B targets?
Do you feel the same for Ads on LinkedIn?

I'm marketing my outdoor event space to decision makers in San Diego.

It was great to meet you also!

I get a bazillion inmails and never usually respond to them. However, I very much might be in the minority and I haven't experimented myself with advertising on LinkedIn. However, I bet your unique value prop might be of specific interest. I was thinking more about how people self promote products within their linkedin feeds. Like, I would never post an AD for "buy some of my products" on my LinkedIn feed, because that is absolutely NOT why people are connected with me on LinkedIn. I see that as kind of a betrayal of my connections. I don't spam my connections with solicitations. I don't see that as the same though as using InMail or Advertising to reach prospects, and I hope my overly wordy and poorly described distinction is clear to you. Inmail? Yes, although I don't respond. Advertising? Yes. Posting spam shit in your linkedin feed or message groups? No.

Gary

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Mar 18, 2011
San Diego
It was great to meet you also!

I get a bazillion inmails and never usually respond to them. However, I very much might be in the minority and I haven't experimented myself with advertising on LinkedIn. However, I bet your unique value prop might be of specific interest. I was thinking more about how people self promote products within their linkedin feeds. Like, I would never post an AD for "buy some of my products" on my LinkedIn feed, because that is absolutely NOT why people are connected with me on LinkedIn. I see that as kind of a betrayal of my connections. I don't spam my connections with solicitations. I don't see that as the same though as using InMail or Advertising to reach prospects, and I hope my overly wordy and poorly described distinction is clear to you. Inmail? Yes, although I don't respond. Advertising? Yes. Posting spam sh*t in your linkedin feed or message groups? No.

I do understand; not too wordy at all. To date, within LinkedIn I've only posted an update on my feed that I completed the construction phase. I am very sensitive to intrusions as well. It amazes me that someone thinks I'm going to buy insurance based on a cold email. But my service is very much a one-off transaction that can benefit many, i.e, the guests of the event host. So that will be my tact: be a hero and book your next event here.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I find LinkedIn such a spam fest that I login even less than I do on Facebook.

I’ve got decent work from it, purely from sending connection requests and people reading my profile.

I’m sure there’s smarter ways to use LinkedIn, but I prefer inbound to outbound and just don’t like LinkedIn for inbound.

Dunkafelics

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Jun 12, 2015
Vancouver, Canada
In my brief experience, Linkedin is an effective tool IF it is used properly.

As @Vigilante has said, if you treat your profile page with professionalism and a high standard, it can be used as an effective marketing tool.

I have gotten multiple contracts and job offers through LinkedIn and my profile page is not completed yet.

A good strategy for utilizing LinkedIn is one where if you are looking up the structure of a specific business, you can directly see the CEO, marketing director, secretary, etc.

Again, don't abuse this strategy and be professional on LinkedIn.

While on that topic, just be professional on all platforms you use.

Gary

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Mar 18, 2011
San Diego
I’ve got decent work from it, purely from sending connection requests and people reading my profile.

That's a big nugget for me right there, Andy. Specifically, updating my profile to reflect what I want people to focus on, and then adding more connection requests.

Thank you...

BigRomeDawg

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jan 22, 2014
Canada/USA
To be honest I had no success on LinkedIn for my B2B services

I almost hired a bookkeeper after he cold messaged me on LinkedIn. His message was something like:

Hey, my name is <NAME> and I do bookkeeping specifically for tech support companies like yours. blah blah blah..

So I took the message and put all my info in it and messaged over 100 decision makers of ideal customers. 90 ignored me and 10 said not interested

Didn't look too far into it but I'd like to try again one day, seems like it could be effective

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
There’s a few LinkedIn threads in here.

A friend uses a tool to send a customized connection request. Something very short and simple that doesn’t look like a mail-merge.

It starts conversations with a few people that he continues by hand.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.