The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Update on the Mentor Group & Free Real Estate Book

CashFlowDepot

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
May 16, 2009
Central America
I read someplace that people generally fall in to two categories.

95% have an employee mentality. They need someone to tell them what to do, when to do it, how to do it, and when to start and stop. They are willing to accept the trade- off of the security of a weekly paycheck for the robot life they lead. These people expect someone to hold their hand and are NOT likely to think for themselves. These are people who live paycheck to paycheck. And they usually retire at 65 with little if any savings and will try to live on Social Security(if it is still available)

5% are innovators. They are constantly coming up with new ideas to make life better and to make more money and create more cash flow. They feel like they are in jail in the environment that the 95%ers thrive in. They don’t just “think” about it, they are DOERS! You can point these people in the general direction and they will find a way to make it work. They make things happen and will not settle for living in a box. They re-invest their profits to make their money work for them. They get excited to see cash flow increase or a HUD-1 statement showing their profit. They don’t rely on anyone for their success or their future and realize that the only person you can depend on is yourself.

About a month ago, before I got very sick, I agreed to help 4 people get started in a real estate business.

I gave then my book which is a step-by-step guide for getting started with a wholesale real estate business. Wholesaling means you find old, run down houses, track down the owner, get a below market contract, then either sell your contract or sell the house to an investor who wants to fix it up for resell or to keep as a rental.

The book gives specific instructions about how to do wholesale deals.

Wholesale deals do not require any money, you don’t buy the house, you don’t need good credit, you don’t get loans, you don’t need to hire contractors or deal with any fix up… YET you can make thousands of dollars per deal.

The book has detailed instructions to complete step 1 before you move to step 2. Then complete step 2 before you move to step 3, etc. There are only 7 steps to get to your first deal.

This book has helped many thousands of people get started in their real estate business. The instructions are detailed enough that someone with a true desire to succeed can follow the information and do their first deal within a month or two.

I also gave these 4 people my “secret sauce” for getting a flood of leads coming in right away.

And I set them up for leads to automatically be delivered to their email box daily.

Sadly, not a single person even finished Step 1. Or at least I never heard about it.

Not a single person used the “secret sauce”! I would have seen the leads come in and there were none.

That old saying is true, you can lead a horse to water but you can’t make them drink.

Perhaps they are in the 95% and expect someone to hold their hand and do everything for them.

But to not even get past Step 1?

To not use the ‘secret sauce” when it is given to you on a silver platter to make it easier to succeed?

So, what’s the solution?

If you want something bad enough, then you will be willing to do whatever it takes to succeed. You’ll take action to get the steps completed as fast as possible and not wait for someone to do it for you or tell you what to do and when to do it

Something I’ve discovered over the years is that people have to get to a point in their life where they say THAT’S IT! ENOUGH IS ENOUGH I’m ready to take control of my own financial future instead of relying on a job, the government, my husband/wife’s income to support myself.

Until you get to that point, you won’t put in the time, energy and effort to MAKE THINGS HAPPEN.

Perhaps the 4 people are not at that point yet.

Perhaps they didn’t like the idea of wholesale deals and decided to go a different direction even if it meant taking on more risks. Maybe they posted results on the forum and I have not seen them because I've been away from the forum for a month

When you are ready for success...

When, and if you get to the point where you’ve had enough of the 95% life, you must realize that to finally take control of your life and your financial future, it will require drastic changes in your day-to-day life. If you aren’t willing to make then, you will not succeed.

You’ll need to free up time to DO DEALS and take action. You need to turn off the TV, get off the computer and forums so you have time to network, look for deals, talk to sellers, meet more buyers, network, and spend time learning how to make a living without a job.

Some people think they want to succeed. And they think if they pay someone $5,000 to be their coach or mentor it will be magically make it easier. This is still a crutch. It’s like having a boss tell you want to do and when to do it.

Unless, and until, you are willing to take action ON YOUR OWN, you will not succeed.

There are many books, home study courses and online training to help you get started but only YOU can take action. You'll get the basic training then, after doing deals, you'll come up with your own ideas to do more.

When you switch to the 5% kind of thinking, it will be hard to turn off the flood of ideas.

I’m glad to give my book away for free to the people who are READY to take control of your life. But I don’t want to get 100’s of emails or PM’s asking for it. That’s too time consuming.

MJ, If there is some way to post the book on the forum so I can give it away?

The book was too big to add as an attachment to the site

HERE IS A LINK TO THE BOOK

(Moderators, if I need to remove the link, no problem. )

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
MJ, If there is some way to post the book on the forum so I can give it away?

If your book is in pdf form, you can just go to the Advanced posting screen, and click the little paperclip icon, then click Add Files and select it from your computer.

It will upload and be available for anyone to download via a link in your post.

Bushi23

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Nov 26, 2012
Cash Flow Depot, I think it would be fantastic if you posted your book. Many may read it but only those who are ready will act. As someone who has a chunk of cash saved up, I feel that your book may be the push I need to be able to find better deals. Instead of flipping these deals to investors I could purchase them myself. Looking forward to an update to this thread.

InLikeFlint

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Nov 19, 2012
Michigan, USA
I read your book CashFlow, and for a while I was completely intrigued by the concept and the money that could be made from it. I established a list of investors, found bird doggers, printed off contracts, found a few other wholesalers, and even got a few prospectable houses, but it requires A LOT of time out and about and on the phone, and as a student my free time is really late at night where going out and making calls aren't an option... so I decided to put things on hold for this industry.

For anyone with time to invest into this, GET THE BOOK! It is wonderfully written and really easy to understand, and be sure to follow exactly what she says, she outlines it in a clear and concise way.

Hope you are feeling better CashFlow, and thank you for offering the books and mentorships!

Gsuz

If you want the crown, you gotta take it
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Jul 3, 2012
I would love to read your book, sounds really good, tho I'm based in Europe, but I think the basics still apply. Also hoping you're feeling better now.

Regarding the sharing sign up on Free Online Storage - MediaFire and upload it there. Takes a few seconds and is really easy and definitely worth it.

danoodle

Freedom Seeker
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 1, 2011
Kansas, toto
I was one of the 4 chosen for this. I just wanted to clarify the "mentorship" in which I received one single email with instructions and her books attached. Besides a few emails I sent with a couple questions, that was it for communication. While I don't necessarily expect a mentor to "hold my hand" and "do everything for me" I don't consider one email to count as a mentorship. I realize that getting sick may have affected communication, but I do have several irl "mentors", and they do at least check in with me from time to time. One email is not a mentorship.

I have a list of buyers, not quite 10 still. I won't go into the reasons/excuses for not finishing step one. I did find one house during this time which I purchased for MYSELF to not just get a small cut of the profit potential.

I have been involved in RE for just under two years now and have acquired full and partial interest in 9 properties. I applied to the group because I figured the information received would have additional tactics I could use in my RE endeavors. While I may do some wholesaling in the future, if I have the funds/credit, I would just acquire the deals for myself.

Just wanted to give my perspective on this "mentorship". I do appreciate the resources, Jackie, and if I end up doing any wholesale deals or a highest bidder sale, I will definitely give credit where credit is due.

5hpstickers

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Dec 12, 2012
New York
I added a link from Amazon S3

hopefully that won't get the moderators too upset
if it does, I;ll take it down

the link to the book is in the original post on this topic

Enjoy!

If you have questions, post them here

My bad, I was getting an error before

D

DeletedUser2

I was one of the 4 chosen for this. I just wanted to clarify the "mentorship" in which I received one single email with instructions and her books attached. Besides a few emails I sent with a couple questions, that was it for communication. While I don't necessarily expect a mentor to "hold my hand" and "do everything for me" I don't consider one email to count as a mentorship. I realize that getting sick may have affected communication, but I do have several irl "mentors", and they do at least check in with me from time to time. One email is not a mentorship.

this one guy drew on a napkin, in a bar, and handed it to me.

I went and started a company. the same one I later took public. using that exact model.

for some, 1 email would be enough

for others, a year of emails, phone calls, and in person meetings would not be enough.

Cashflow has it in 1.

look to yourself, and ask. am I an employee?

you might be surprised at the real answer

Z

danoodle

Freedom Seeker
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 1, 2011
Kansas, toto
I admit I am not some business guru badass who started a company and one year later cashed out for multimillions. I buy houses, fix them up and do all the work myself, and rent/sell them. I suppose I am an employee to myself and am taking the "safe" way out to pursue my fastlane success only once I am "stable". But that's also why I joined this forum.

To learn from the best. To take risks. To acquire mentors and connections. To achieve fastlane success.

Maybe I will read that one post and strike gold. Or that one book. Or have that one conversation. Or that one email. Or get that one napkin.

But as MJ says, it is a process. A process I am trying to learn. While i didn't find immediate success with this particular "mentorship" (although I did find and close on one house using the methods in the book and will retain 100% of the profits myself), I did learn quite a bit more about making creative RE deals. And am slowly adding more pieces to the puzzle.

To be honest I would also say 2 months is not very long to establish oneself. I received that first email 2 months and 5 days ago exactly. I think Jackie is being a bit harsh to judge so quickly that we are epic failures. Can you read a book and do your first deal in 10 days? Sure. Is that the norm? You tell me. I found that house and closed on Jan 10th, one month and 9 days after the email was sent. Like I said not some super badass doing 10 deals a month. Epic failure? I hope not.

So to recap a "mentor" sends a single email to her students and 2 months later publicly says we are all failures and suck at life because we haven't done a deal yet. A hell of a "mentorship" I signed up for. I just wanted to show the forum my side of it. Take it however you want.

Edit: Also the reason I am putting this much into this post is because success is NOT easy. You DON'T read one book or one napkin and boom, become a millionaire. There is a PROCESS behind it. Give zen******* a napkin and he turns it into a million dollars. Give someone else the same napkin, and they wipe their mouth with it. This shit ain't easy and you rarely see what goes on behind the scenes. I'd love to hear that napkin story in its entirety and learn from it. Instead of reading a post and feeling bad for being a "failure" who lives paycheck to paycheck. I guarantee you it took years to get to the point where you could turn an idea into millions.

MikeC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Dec 4, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
this one guy drew on a napkin, in a bar, and handed it to me.

I went and started a company. the same one I later took public. using that exact model.

for some, 1 email would be enough

for others, a year of emails, phone calls, and in person meetings would not be enough.

Cashflow has it in 1.

look to yourself, and ask. am I an employee?

you might be surprised at the real answer

Z

what?

5hpstickers

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Dec 12, 2012
New York

CashFlowDepot

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
May 16, 2009
Central America
InLikeFlint

You have the knowledge now... when the timing is right, you will make a lot of money with wholesale deals.

Timing is everything. Sometimes people are ready. Sometimes they are not.

CashFlowDepot

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
May 16, 2009
Central America
Danoodle

CONGRATULATIONS! on buying the house for yourself.

You didn't just get one email. You also get a step-by-step guide for doing wholesale deals, the secret sauce for getting a flood of leads, and an automated system for getting the leads delivered to you.

Were you expecting me to email daily/weekly asking "what have you done?? or "do you have any questions?"

Would that have made a difference in your progress?

CashFlowDepot

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
May 16, 2009
Central America
Danoodle

I never implied that anyone was a failure.

Some people are just not READY yet. Some will never be ready.

Until you get to the point that ENOUGH IS ENOUGH, no one will put in the time, energy or effort to CROSS the line to the 5%

When you're ready... REALLY ready... you have in the book I gave you and the secret sauce... all the information you need to create a $5k - $10k+ per month business.

You have the tools to succeed.

If you have questions, post them here

CashFlowDepot

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
May 16, 2009
Central America
5hpstickers

Those people who are advertising "need to sell your house fast" are all potential buyers for your wholesale deals. Follow the instructions in the book. Contact each one of them and use the script I provided. Find out where they prefer to buy, then only look for houses in that area.

You can get 10 buyers on your list in ONE DAY if you go to the foreclosure auction.

CashFlowDepot

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
May 16, 2009
Central America
zen*******

EXCELLENT POINT!

When someone is REALLY ready to cross over to the 5%, then 1 email is enough. They don't need 10 emails, or weekly coaching, or phone consultation. They will SEEK out the answers to their questions and take a proactive approach to get any additional information they need to make success happen. There will be an urgency in getting to the finish line, and the next and the next and the next

Until someone gets to the point where you are ready to cross over to the 5% , no amount of emails, coaching, mentoring, or consultation will do any good. If you have a question, you ask it. You don't wait for someone to send you the next lesson or ask how your progress is.

The 95% and the 5% have two completely different mindsets. (that was the point of my original post)

95%ers can become 5%ers but not until they are totally ready.

5hpstickers

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Dec 12, 2012
New York
5hpstickers

Those people who are advertising "need to sell your house fast" are all potential buyers for your wholesale deals. Follow the instructions in the book. Contact each one of them and use the script I provided. Find out where they prefer to buy, then only look for houses in that area.

You can get 10 buyers on your list in ONE DAY if you go to the foreclosure auction.

Thanks for the response, I will begin contacting all the potentials tomorrow morning as I made a folder with links and phone numbers.

And I will also look up foreclosure auctions and give that a go when I get the chance.

I travel to NYC everyday for school so I will be working on this during my breaks and weekends if possible.

MikeC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Dec 4, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
Why would you take a group of people claiming to offer mentorship, then turn around and just give them an email and a copy of your books, THEN, when nothing happens, post all about it publicly on this forum?

In one glance, it seems like you're trying to establish yourself as the "5%" (whatever the hell that is) on this forum, and you're willing to throw people under the bus just so you have an example of the "95%".

It's unbelievable to me that you could advertise a mentorship, then post something like this after all is said and done. Why would you do that? It makes no sense other than to promote your own personal brand on this forum. "Look where I am, and look where these 'other' people are."

One single email with books attached? That's your mentorship?

Unbelievable.

And then to come on the forum and post that the people who didn't "follow through" have an "employee mentality", and this nonsense about a business idea on a napkin?

It seems pretty clear to me what happened. The people who got involved were expecting what you advertised: a mentorship. Instead you gave them an email, which—while that email could be very valuable—is completely different from what (I suspect) they were expecting.

It's like saying, "come over to my house and I'll teach you how to cook a delicious meal", then when people show up, give them the instructions on the back of a frozen pizza. Then get angry that no one wants to cook.

If you spend the time and effort into providing a real mentorship with actual value (this isn't charity... you aren't "helping the 95%" – you get very real benefits from this), you will see the people you mentor reach success.

Might be worth noting that would do a hell of a lot more for your forum reputation too.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Just downloaded the book, reading it now.

I was about to drop $20 for Lonnie's book which I'll probably still end up doing but there are no mobile homes in my city.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
There is a PROCESS behind it.

And everyone's process is different -- some may take months, others years. The important part of it is continual progress and growth by continual action.

Give zen******* a napkin and he turns it into a million dollars. Give someone else the same napkin, and they wipe their mouth with it.

Sorry man that's good shit; I gotta steal this. :)

danoodle

Freedom Seeker
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 1, 2011
Kansas, toto
Danoodle

You didn't just get one email. You also get a step-by-step guide for doing wholesale deals, the secret sauce for getting a flood of leads, and an automated system for getting the leads delivered to you.

Were you expecting me to email daily/weekly asking "what have you done?? or "do you have any questions?"

Would that have made a difference in your progress?

I want to reiterate that what we received through a SINGLE EMAIL is NOT a mentorship. If that were true, then everyone in this thread who has access to your book is now being personally mentored by you. Hey, I read MJ's book, he must be my mentor too. Robert Kiyosaki, Seth Goden, Guy Kawasaki, Josh Kaufman, are all my personal mentors now since I read their books! Yeah right.

Yes I was expecting more than a single email. I was expecting a personal, mentor-type relationship. One where the mentor cares about the success of his/her students, does give them accountability, and is invested in them, at least a little. Especially one that does not publicly shame their students for failure. Would accountability and more communication have contributed to our success? Perhaps. But definitely more than a single email and subsequent public shaming a mere 2 months later. Saying "get to work" and "you aren't motivated enough to take action" yet not motivating or supporting us in any way is quite a confusing message.

I am NOT arguing that your book isn't valuable. I am arguing that you did not give us a mentorship. The title of this thread is incorrect. We were not a "Mentor Group". We were a group that received a single email with your book, period. And apparently not even your respect when after a mere 2 months you call us out on how we can't even "think for ourselves", need someone to "hold our hand" and "do everything for us".

Here is the original post where she offers "free training". Right there it is already misleading. Is sending 4 people a book "free training"? Should have read "I will send 4 people my book for free. If they fail by not making a deal in 2 months, I will publicly make an example of them on what success isn't." Like I said earlier, if I had only known what I was getting myself into!

The mere fact that I'm even writing this much about this whole ordeal shows how dysfunctional this "mentor relationship" is. I am not trying to attack anyone, but I do feel as if I am defending myself quite strongly. With all the facts now known in this thread, does this look like a "mentor group" to you? I seriously hope I am not being delusional in my observations...

Last edited by a moderator:

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
I'm glad to offer free training. But not for one. I'd like to train 3 people at the same time.

It's clear to me that Jackie's idea and the groups idea of "free training" is quite different. I think this should be a learning point for Jackie (and everyone else). Clearly define your offer and set appropriate expectations.

From comments, I'm sure the book is of value and I agree with Jackie's comments in her original post here. However, expect some backlash if you don't provide what you promised and then "call out" the group for not meeting your expectations. Free training or mentorship is much more involved than providing a book and an email or two.

D

DeletedUser2

I'd love to hear that napkin story in its entirety and learn from it. Instead of reading a post and feeling bad for being a "failure" who lives paycheck to paycheck. I guarantee you it took years to get to the point where you could turn an idea into millions.

it took 5 yrs for that napkin to make me big money but only 2 weeks after I got it to get started. happy to share the whole story someday.

:)

Z

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
People expect the wealthy to handhold them. Wealthy people don't have the time for that and even if they had the time they wouldn't want to spend time doing that.

Since so few will actually be able to become wealthy, helping people become wealthy isn't about getting them wealthy but more about selling them a product or service that will soothe their personality so they can take 10 years taking that one baby step to go where a driven wealthy individual would go in a month.

When I wanted to make money investing in Phoenix RE, I knew nothing about Phoenix. I lived in Toronto for god sakes. I had no mentor. I spent weeks reading everything from sales data, tax data, crime data, forums, CRA/IRS, and looked at thousands of properties and just did it. When I was doing all this (often until 3am) people would ask me how to do the same, but they were crazy lazy and couldn't even be bothered to spend an hour doing their own research. Forget it.

When people ask me how to make money, it's really just a waste of my time to answer. I just crack a joke about playing the lottery.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.