The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Unhappy? Then pack your damn bags and move...

Mikeyyy

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Sep 17, 2022
Just like MJ, @NeoDialectic and I (along with a few others) made the move early in our 20s from cold, overcast, snowy midwest to sunny Arizona and we also attribute it to being one of the best moves of our lives.

Great post ...

Just like MJ, @NeoDialectic and I (along with a few others) made the move early in our 20s from cold, overcast, snowy midwest to sunny Arizona and we also attribute it to being one of the best moves of our lives.

While it did take away from family / friends at the time ---> it gave us tons of freedom, space and autonomy to help figure out our next steps in life, focus on building a business (s), and not have to suffer through another winter.

We left a lot of slowlaning buddies and influences behind (including family). Not to worry, I still got grief 2000 miles away constantly, but perseverance and mindset tops all.

Going on 15+ years here already, and it's tough to find a suitable alternative yet, but the mind always keeps wondering!

Awesome reminder to all!
Yea I feel like when you move to a new city or country it's a fresh start and a clean slate. You leave all of your old bad memories behind. And you have the power to fill your new location with only good and happy ones.
Great post @fastlane_dad. glad to know that I'm never to young to take on big goals and challenges like this

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Djo

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Oct 31, 2022
Moving to a different country is the single best decision I have ever made

I could have done nothing business wise after making that choice and still been way better off in terms of income and quality of life due to the opportunities, people, weather and incomes where I moved

I could have stayed where I was and done everything right business wise and I’d probably still be broke and my life would still suck

Even if I somehow made a more successful business there than I have here my life still wouldn’t be as good due to the people and the weather and the general poverty of the country

Also if you are going to move, you may as well move somewhere where it’s warm year round, there’s a whole thread about that already though

And if you’re moving city or state, you may as well just move country if you think it’s going to work out better for you

You’ll still go back home just as much, or as little, as you would if you were closer

Don’t pick a place that’s close, pick the best place for you
Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply
Would you mind if I talk to you privately for more details if you have time please ?

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply
Would you mind if I talk to you privately for more details if you have time please ?
You can dm me

Heaps of people messaged me from my post in the hotter climate thread too so you won’t be the first

I’m honestly not sure why though

Albert KOUADJA

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Mar 13, 2022
I pulled this quote out from another thread on doing something that you wish you would have done sooner...

If you haven’t yet considered it, I highly recommend moving to a new city and a new culture on the other side of your country. Or hell, even expating to a new country if that is an option.

If you live in a shit country where emigrating is difficult, make LEAVING your priority. Forget the business stuff. What do you need to do to leave? Do you need a skill?

Don’t let “sacred cows” keep you immobile and planted like a tree.

A “sacred cow” keeps you planted with lame excuses like, “oh I grew up here, I can’t move.” Or, “my family is here,” or “My favorite football club is here.”

While family is important, most families are dysfunctional and many of them simply aren’t supportive of an Unscripted existence.

Moving to Arizona from Chicago was one the best decisions in my life.

If you have negative or uninspired history in a particular city, it can add significant mental baggage to your progress. Living in a place where you have struggled, failed, and lived unhappily is a mental burden, no matter how you want to frame it.

...Oh there's my old high school where I was bullied...
...Oh there's the intersection where I got into an accident...
...Oh there's my old best friend's house before he cheated with my girlfriend...
...Oh this is the route to my old job that I hated...
…Oh there’s the McDonalds I used to work at…
…Oh here’s the shitty weather that I can’t stand…
…Oh there’s my old neighborhood where my parents were divorced…
...Oh I hate shopping at that grocery story where I always run into my X-girlfriend...
...Oh there's that local park where the neighborhood bully beat me up...

Folks, STOP KIDDING YOURSELF.

There is nothing stopping you from moving. I moved to Arizona with $900 in my bank account. I realize that those with family, things are more complicated, but it's not rocket science. It's a matter of importance and prioritization.

Do you want to own a business? Or do you want a safe and secure job that keeps you mildly entertained for 50 years?

Making big decisions like this is on par with the big decision to become an entrepreneur.

You only live once. Yes, happiness is largely a choice. However, you can make choices that make the choice to be happy, much easier.

Make happiness a priority. Make choices that make happiness more likely.

Another way of looking at it... if you grew up in a home with a lot of bad memories, what the hell would you choose to stay there? Why do you want to be reminded of bad times? And if your city/home does a good job at reminding you of unhappiness, PACK YOUR DAMN BAGS and MOVE.
Thanks very much dad MJ for this post.

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
I pulled this quote out from another thread on doing something that you wish you would have done sooner...

If you haven’t yet considered it, I highly recommend moving to a new city and a new culture on the other side of your country. Or hell, even expating to a new country if that is an option.

If you live in a shit country where emigrating is difficult, make LEAVING your priority. Forget the business stuff. What do you need to do to leave? Do you need a skill?

Don’t let “sacred cows” keep you immobile and planted like a tree.

A “sacred cow” keeps you planted with lame excuses like, “oh I grew up here, I can’t move.” Or, “my family is here,” or “My favorite football club is here.”

While family is important, most families are dysfunctional and many of them simply aren’t supportive of an Unscripted existence.

Moving to Arizona from Chicago was one the best decisions in my life.

If you have negative or uninspired history in a particular city, it can add significant mental baggage to your progress. Living in a place where you have struggled, failed, and lived unhappily is a mental burden, no matter how you want to frame it.

...Oh there's my old high school where I was bullied...
...Oh there's the intersection where I got into an accident...
...Oh there's my old best friend's house before he cheated with my girlfriend...
...Oh this is the route to my old job that I hated...
…Oh there’s the McDonalds I used to work at…
…Oh here’s the shitty weather that I can’t stand…
…Oh there’s my old neighborhood where my parents were divorced…
...Oh I hate shopping at that grocery story where I always run into my X-girlfriend...
...Oh there's that local park where the neighborhood bully beat me up...

Folks, STOP KIDDING YOURSELF.

There is nothing stopping you from moving. I moved to Arizona with $900 in my bank account. I realize that those with family, things are more complicated, but it's not rocket science. It's a matter of importance and prioritization.

Do you want to own a business? Or do you want a safe and secure job that keeps you mildly entertained for 50 years?

Making big decisions like this is on par with the big decision to become an entrepreneur.

You only live once. Yes, happiness is largely a choice. However, you can make choices that make the choice to be happy, much easier.

Make happiness a priority. Make choices that make happiness more likely.

Another way of looking at it... if you grew up in a home with a lot of bad memories, what the hell would you choose to stay there? Why do you want to be reminded of bad times? And if your city/home does a good job at reminding you of unhappiness, PACK YOUR DAMN BAGS and MOVE.

I've ignored this advice for far too long, I know my actions haven't been perfect as of late either and I will admit that. But I will no longer ignore this advice. I will be moving next year or at the end of my lease.

I recently spoke with my therapist last week and she stated that I don't feel like my environment was safe, that there was not safety in terms how I was earning a living and with my friendship/family relationships.

I recently had a friend do a betrayal. He spoke behind my back when I was there for him trying to get over an ex-girlfriend he dated for exactly 1 year. She did something of course, I had a opinion. But I would have never stepped over the boundaries and just speak what I thought of what she did a year ago. I told him do you really think I would have done that? He said no, but included a but in the sentence. He said you never knew. He was not confident in our friendship. I can no longer stand the fakeness, so I left him behind when we hung out together and just walked out. He was a brother to me, I have always supported him and was always there when he was down or motivated him for things he wanted to do.

The betrayal hit's very hard.

Dallas-Fort Worth isn't a bad city, but the memories here is what kills me. Sometimes you must know your value and when it's time to restart. To find a better community and friends who do have confidence in your friendship.

Ismail941

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
May 7, 2019
Damn! I will read this again!
It's scary to move to a new location but it's worthy of a chance/shot as ONCE in a Lifetime!
Thanks Demarco! You are the best!

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
Damn! I will read this again!
It's scary to move to a new location but it's worthy of a chance/shot as ONCE in a Lifetime!
Thanks Demarco! You are the best!
I think it will be the most invoirating, yet exciting adventure one person could ever go one. We have been so conditioned to stay/stick in our current environment that one person never thinks about behind the means of their area.

There's so much to explore, so much to do, so much to see, so much to experience. I find it very exciting actually. To see other cultures, different people.

I love meeting new people, I get to see the world from a different perspective.

Ismail941

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
May 7, 2019
Exactly, If we keep staying in the same place, its costing and taxing time, money, energy, and so on. Not to mention - The misery would be double and triple in mind and thus - it will create a prison

As Morpheus said in the The Matrix 1999 - Free Your Mind aka Take Action.

The Psychological Conditions will be never perfect. We have to go through of it.

We are not getting younger!
Once the best possible math and other factors are possibly in my favor as odds not against the stack, its worthy of taking action/work.
I think it will be the most invoirating, yet exciting adventure one person could ever go one. We have been so conditioned to stay/stick in our current environment that one person never thinks about behind the means of their area.

There's so much to explore, so much to do, so much to see, so much to experience. I find it very exciting actually. To see other cultures, different people.

I love meeting new people, I get to see the world from a different perspective.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I think it will be the most invoirating, yet exciting adventure one person could ever go one.

Yes, and to make new friends, it will require you to exit your comfort zone. I always find it exciting to move somewhere, and not know a damn soul (personally speaking, not professionally).

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
Yes, and to make new friends, it will require you to exit your comfort zone. I always find it exciting to move somewhere, and not know a damn soul (personally speaking, not professionally).
I found it liberating when I moved and was very successful when I moved not even 30 minutes away from my parents when i was with my ex.

But personally speaking, I am scared right now to move by myself not gonna lie. But I have lost so much here, that I think it's the right thing to do.

I was speaking on the phone with my friend who was in Tampa, Florida the other day to see a potential partner and I noticed I was very excited to see Tampa as he described. He and I both agreed that we sometimes limit our exposure just to the place we live in when as we are young we should travel/move to different places.

Florida as been on my list because of a few things, people say move where the entrepreneurs are, plus the economy is booming.

I do want to surround myself with people are ahead of me, I would like to learn from them. But the average rent in most cities such as Seattle, Denver, Miami, Tampa, Austin. Are around $2,000 if not lower.

Personally speaking, I think it will be very liberating to not know any psst soul or old friends/family. You get a fresh start, a relief to know that no one know's your history, mistakes, or where you come from. Now that I think about it. It sounds very peaceful.

Jadus

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Jul 21, 2020
Thailand
I totally agree. I made my escape almost 8 years ago and never looked back. I was working an average of 10 hours a day, often 6 days a week, sometimes 7. I made good money but it was high-stress and it affected my health.

I had one colleague and friend who died of a heart attack on his way to work. My boss's x-husband, who worked for the same company, died in the same way. I later found out that someone who I worked with occasionally, died one morning in his car in the garage. It wasn't clear if it was a heart attack or suicide. I had heart palpitations on my way to work one day and had to go to the hospital to get checked out. I decided I needed to do something or possibly face the same consequences.

I always wanted to have my own online business, which I tried to start in the little spare time that I had. But every time I dedicated myself to working on a project, the overtime requirements would go up. It's hard to stay motivated when all you want to do at the end of a long day is eat and sleep, before waking up at 5am again the next day.

I thought about retiring early but figured it would take forever to save up enough to do it in the states. But I had been to Thailand a couple of times on vacation and knew how inexpensive it is. (I'm writing this from an ocean view condo on the 20th floor. I'm sure it would be around $500 - $1000 per night in the USA. I'm paying around$35.

So one day I had an epiphany. I didn't need to save enough to retire early in the USA. I could retire early from the job and live on much less in Thailand. So, I saved up a nest egg for 2 years and moved to Thailand with my 401K and pension. Here, I was able to live inexpensively and build the online business that I wanted.

Not only that, but I experience another culture here (which has its good and bad points). I've made more friends here than I ever had in the USA, because I have more time freedom and it's common to seek out other expats, from the USA as well as other countries. Travel opportunities are plentiful and relatively cheap. It really was the best decision of my life.

Ross_102

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Oct 29, 2022
I totally agree. I made my escape almost 8 years ago and never looked back. I was working an average of 10 hours a day, often 6 days a week, sometimes 7. I made good money but it was high-stress and it affected my health.

I had one colleague and friend who died of a heart attack on his way to work. My boss's x-husband, who worked for the same company, died in the same way. I later found out that someone who I worked with occasionally, died one morning in his car in the garage. It wasn't clear if it was a heart attack or suicide. I had heart palpitations on my way to work one day and had to go to the hospital to get checked out. I decided I needed to do something or possibly face the same consequences.

I always wanted to have my own online business, which I tried to start in the little spare time that I had. But every time I dedicated myself to working on a project, the overtime requirements would go up. It's hard to stay motivated when all you want to do at the end of a long day is eat and sleep, before waking up at 5am again the next day.

I thought about retiring early but figured it would take forever to save up enough to do it in the states. But I had been to Thailand a couple of times on vacation and knew how inexpensive it is. (I'm writing this from an ocean view condo on the 20th floor. I'm sure it would be around $500 - $1000 per night in the USA. I'm paying around$35.

So one day I had an epiphany. I didn't need to save enough to retire early in the USA. I could retire early from the job and live on much less in Thailand. So, I saved up a nest egg for 2 years and moved to Thailand with my 401K and pension. Here, I was able to live inexpensively and build the online business that I wanted.

Not only that, but I experience another culture here (which has its good and bad points). I've made more friends here than I ever had in the USA, because I have more time freedom and it's common to seek out other expats, from the USA as well as other countries. Travel opportunities are plentiful and relatively cheap. It really was the best decision of my life.
Very interesting story, @Jadus !

The way you described what happened at your old work, it was a matter of time until you had a heart attack too.

Great job relocating to Thailand. I'm also considering moving there, maybe not year round, but at least during the winter months.

Enjoy the life you have created for yourself.

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
Great post. My biggest regret is not moving out of the UK years ago before we had children.

You're lucky in the USA that you can move to a completely different climate but remain in the same country.

Over here it means moving countries and with that comes a lot of more hurdles to jump, like visas, language barriers etc.

Kids are 12 and 14 so we're staying put for now.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Great post. My biggest regret is not moving out of the UK years ago before we had children.

You're lucky in the USA that you can move to a completely different climate but remain in the same country.

Over here it means moving countries and with that comes a lot of more hurdles to jump, like visas, language barriers etc.

Kids are 12 and 14 so we're staying put for now.

Could moving to southern England help? It won't be a completely different climate but at least you'd have slightly warmer and sunnier weather. Same for a place with better nature and more beautiful surroundings like Cornwall.

As for the kids, in Spain as well as Portugal there are many great international schools that would most likely be way better for your kids than the UK ones.

Also, Gibraltar could be an option, too. No visa and language barriers. Just tricky to live in such a small place.

Albert KOUADJA

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Mar 13, 2022

Ici, cela signifie changer de pays et avec cela vient beaucoup plus d'obstacles à franchir, comme les visas, les barrières linguistiques, etc.
Yes, it is everywhere.

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
Could moving to southern England help? It won't be a completely different climate but at least you'd have slightly warmer and sunnier weather. Same for a place with better nature and more beautiful surroundings like Cornwall.

As for the kids, in Spain as well as Portugal there are many great international schools that would most likely be way better for your kids than the UK ones.

Also, Gibraltar could be an option, too. No visa and language barriers. Just tricky to live in such a small place.

I wouldn’t move anywhere else in U.K. Yes it’s slightly warmer down south but not by much. It wouldn’t make much difference to our lifestyle plus we’d be moving away from our family and friends without a real upside.

Yes there are some good schools in Spain, and I know footballers children move a lot as do other families but I’ve done some research and a lot of people say it’s not ideal to move with teenagers. Plus International schools are like private ones here in U.K. where we’d have to pay for it.

I did look at Gibraltar also then I realised how small it was. Something like 4 sq miles.

Xavier X

Gold Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Jan 1, 2016
These United States
Yup! Get your stuff and move!

In my case, I donated and gave away nearly everything in my apartment, and sold some at ridiculous giveaway prices. Like my $3000ish leather Safavieh sectional I sold to a family on Craigslist, for 50 bucks! They were so excited.
The $50 was more symbolic than anything, as I just didn't want to list it as "free."

My initial plan was to travel for 1 year, but I've just crossed 5 years. My life wasn't bad in the US, and I didn't have any "toxic" situations I had to run from. However, it was beginning to get dull, mundane and repetitive.

Especially since I had resigned my 9-5 in 2013, to focus solely on my own business. I was working from home, day in and day out, long before the pandemic made working from home mainstream.

In the last 5 years, I've lived in and visited nearly 40 countries, on 5 continents. Would've been 6, if I didn't miss a flight and decide to cancel that trip to Australia. I've met lots of great people (including my now fiancee, whom I've been with going on 4 years now). I am definitely happier today than I was before I left. Every single aspect of my life is better than it was.

Not everyone needs to travel the world, but if you find that one place that works for you, don't hesitate to move there. You don't need to save a million bucks to pull the trigger. Even just 2-3 months of runway cash is fine, provided you have somewhat stable income.

daptor-do-it-daptor.gif

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
I wouldn’t move anywhere else in U.K. Yes it’s slightly warmer down south but not by much. It wouldn’t make much difference to our lifestyle plus we’d be moving away from our family and friends without a real upside.

Yeah that's a fair point, I get it.

Yes there are some good schools in Spain, and I know footballers children move a lot as do other families but I’ve done some research and a lot of people say it’s not ideal to move with teenagers. Plus International schools are like private ones here in U.K. where we’d have to pay for it.

What do your children think about it? Have you ever asked them if they'd like to live in a sunny, warm climate?

My sister and her husband wanted to live in the countryside. Despite having four kids, they moved to the countryside from the city and the kids are super happy about it. Obviously not the same as moving to another country but just shows that happy parents = happy kids.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
My initial plan was to travel for 1 year, but I've just crossed 5 years. My life wasn't bad in the US, and I didn't have any "toxic" situations I had to run from. However, it was beginning to get dull, mundane and repetitive.

What was the thought process when you decided to travel for 1 year? As in, what sparked it other than you felt your life was mundane? Did you just wake up one day and decided to do it or was it a longer process?

In the last 5 years, I've lived in and visited nearly 40 countries, on 5 continents. Would've been 6, if I didn't miss a flight and decide to cancel that trip to Australia. I've met lots of great people (including my now fiancee, whom I've been with going on 4 years now). I am definitely happier today than I was before I left. Every single aspect of my life is better than it was.

What are your favorite countries and why? Did you meet your fiancée when traveling? Is she a digital nomad, too?

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
What do your children think about it? Have you ever asked them if they'd like to live in a sunny, warm climate?
They say they'd love to live somewhere like that, however they're young children and haven't thought about how big a change it's going to be. They're used to just being on holiday in those places.

Xavier X

Gold Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Jan 1, 2016
These United States
What was the thought process when you decided to travel for 1 year? As in, what sparked it other than you felt your life was mundane? Did you just wake up one day and decided to do it or was it a longer process? What are your favorite countries and why?

It was a longer process. I always wanted to do it, but was always waiting for "the right time." AKA when I had a ton of cash saved up. After resigning my 9-5, I spent 3.5 years at home, focusing on getting my remote income to a better place.

While I was happy to be out of the 9-5 rat race, being at home working all day started to take a toll. Especially since I had significantly cut down on social activities, in order to fully focus. I realized I could do the same thing I was doing anywhere, and be fine. As my income was good enough to be anywhere. So I waited till my lease was up, and headed out.

Favorite countries:

Brazil: I've always loved Brazilian people, and enjoyed my time in Brazil. Nearly a year.
Only spent time in Rio and Sao Paulo, but it was great. The USD was also at its highest against the BRL when I was there, so that worked well for me.

Colombia
: I love Colombia and Colombians too, and have spent lots of time there. Good value place to stay.

South Korea: I liked the months spent in Seoul, South Korea and Ulsan. Nice cities and decent food.

Argentina
: I have a love-hate relationship with Argentina. Buenos Aires is such a beautiful and relatively safe city, and certainly my favorite city in LatAm. Great historic architecture. However, I am not a fan of the people.. at all. They have been the least personable people I've met in Latin America. And probably in the world.

On the bright side, Buenos Aires might be the best value place in LatAm. Good quality infrastructure, low cost of everyday living. Especially because there's an official exchange rate, and a parallel one which effectively makes everything in the country 50% off for me.

Other worthy mentions are Portugal (Lisbon), Ethiopia (Addis Ababa), Indonesia (Bali), Hong Kong.

Did you meet your fiancée when traveling? Is she a digital nomad, too?
Yes, I met her while traveling. She was not a "digital nomad" in that sense, when I met her. She had a regular job in the medical field and was only visiting some countries, for some time. She had to return to her job in her country a few times, at the onset of our relationship.

So I suggested she learn a specific online business, and told her what it entailed. She did, and once she had a few ongoing clients months later, she quit the job and hasn't had to go back to it. Now, she makes about 5x more at the business than she did at that job. Years later, she still wakes up being thankful she isn't waking up to run to work in the snow. And we can step outside and be in an interesting relatively new place, each time.

Jadus

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Jul 21, 2020
Thailand
Argentina: I have a love-hate relationship with Argentina. Buenos Aires is such a beautiful and relatively safe city, and certainly my favorite city in LatAm. Great historic architecture. However, I am not a fan of the people.. at all. They have been the least personable people I've met in Latin America. And probably in the world.
I'm surprised to see you didn't like the people there. I used to work with an Argentinian. He was one of the nicest, friendliest guys I've known. It's good to hear another perspective though.

Xavier X

Gold Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Jan 1, 2016
These United States
I'm surprised to see you didn't like the people there. I used to work with an Argentinian. He was one of the nicest, friendliest guys I've known. It's good to hear another perspective though.

That's only a sample of 1, outside their natural habitat.

I didn't say there are no friendly and nice Argentinians. Of course, there are. However, the overarching character in Buenos Aires specifically is aloof and cold. And even worse, but I won't get into that. This character is something known all over Latin America. I was aware of it before going, but I prefer to experience places and cultures for myself, not what I heard from wherever.

Even less than an hour ferry ride across the water, in Uruguay, people are significantly nicer, in general. They are of a similar demographic and ethnic origin (largely European).

Bohemi

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Oct 28, 2022
Roskilde, Denmark
I find this thread fascinating on how often the idea of moving becomes leaving the state or Even the country…. Personally I only had to move about 30 minute drive away from my hometown to get the fresh Start I had been longing for, and this way I am still close enough to my family for them be okay with my move (Not that it would have changed my mind if they did, but being the constant troublemaker in my family it is nice to do something important for myself without being labeled as the one who mess everything up ;) )

the big difference is that now I have the control on how, when and where I meet with my family . Big difference. Big.

sometimes it’s the smallest steps that end up being the biggest of our lives :D

ALC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Jul 19, 2017
France
There's definitely a big motivation to move from where i am personnally although i have some responsabilities for the couple months to come until i sell my physical business.

The lack of Sun & decently warm temperatures is trully a mood killer, no matter how focused you are on your activities at some point you feel the need to move and see something else.

At some point you want to see new environment, a total reset of what you always known ; you just hit the 'F** That Event' right ;)

Currently busy building something on the side that is already making me some online incomes and hopefully more by next year, i'm definitely thinking of moving in different places, i would love to stay in France and move to the warm South of France but the taxes are killing my profits and i need these be reinvested to grow bigger.

So a mix of friendly taxes & decently warm country i'll be happy to move temporary being quite young i dont plan on buying a house anytime soon or having a family so its prime time.

UAE's being an option or totally different & closer to France...Budapest.
Maybe Thailand can be an option but i have never been there.

RayanMargham

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Aug 14, 2022
This really resonated with me, I live in an abusive household at the moment and everytime I come back from my mothers house I automatically feel depressed and sad and empty when I arrive at my dads

The moment I finally pull a fastlane success and start earning more income then my father I'm straight outta that house

sai@fast

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Sep 18, 2022
I love this thread. I have been sitting on the fence with my 9to5 job, thinking of moving to a less expensive city which is warmer then where i currently live as my wife suffers severe pains during winters and havent been able to decide how to make the transition. Starting a business looks overwhelming while remote work might just give me location independence. It’s Amazing to read experiences of folks who have done it. Thank you everyone for this thread and for sharing your experiences

EngineerThis

Accelerate your New Product Launch!
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Nov 26, 2014
Traverse City, MI
Always hated Michigan.. You get 3 months of a very humid and hot summer, only 1 month of a beautiful fall, and the remaining is 8 months of depressing grey skies, rain, snow, and freezing temps... Not to mention the high taxes, horrible government, and THE ROADS AND SALT that destroy cars almost immediately off the lot. So! Finally, my wife and I finished building our motorhome, and headed south! We love it down here in TN, the weather is so nice as are the people. You get way more land for the $, Gas is almost half the price for some reason, love the scenery, and we are loving it!!! We left the comfort of my parent's driveway, but we've grown so much closer, and we've been so much more optimistic about the future since we finally took the leap! (Also riding the motorcycle in December with sunny days kicks a$$)

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.