The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Unconventional ways of finding a Job

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Thanks @Runum , I think a website will be great idea, especially in the modern world where an online prescence in itself can mean so much. Hey I Think the hawaiian shirts are great will certainly say I will never ever forget your videos because of them!

@Jon L Wow thats definately a brave decision, I will try it recruitement agencies first to improve my technique then start moving onto companies directly. However as now strangely I have had two interviews already using the rubbish conventional approach which is Ironic. They are both short term contract roles so in the background will keep looking for other roles using your method once I approach the end of them if im successful in the next round of interviews.
Just show up to a company. Its really not as scary as you think. I did this when I was still pretty shy.

"I'm here to apply for the ____ position"

They'll respond a few different ways:

"Here, fill out this application and leave your resume." (this was 10-12 places ... basically saying, 'why are you here, leave your stuff and get lost')
or
"you have to fill out this stuff online" (1 or 2 places... basically, 'seriously, get lost.')
or
'since you're here, let me see if I can track down someone for you' (happened 1 time, ended up taking this job)
or
'I'm the boss, you seem eager, let's interview you' (happened 1 time, turned down this job ... actually should have taken this job instead, but that's a different story)

I was NOT AT ALL polished when I did this. All I did was show up and say I was applying for a particular job they advertised.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Analyticz

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 24, 2016
Like what @Jon L is saying. It takes hustle. If you know what industry you want to be in.
Why not research companies in the industry, send out cold emails to speak with people in that industry(or employees). If they can get you an interview that is great. I know the easiest jobs I have gotten were from people that have forwarded my email on to a manager who then interviewed me.

If you can and I know Ramit Sethi advises to do the briefcase technique, its to pitch them a three month plan of how you will solve any of the companies pains or challenges could be before the interview or duing. It shows that you have initiative and are willing to go the extra mile.

It is all about value. If they think that you will be valuable, its no brainer to hire somebody who wants to go above and beyond.
Goodluck

Singh

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Feb 27, 2016
UK
Thanks for your input guys, as of last week I finally got the sort of job I was looking for nearer to home. I will bookmark this thread and keep your ideas in mind when its time for me to move on

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas