The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Trouble finding suppliers for luxury brand

Tweeve11

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Sep 23, 2015
Hey all,

Im having trouble finding a supplier for mens fashion accesories. I am creating a luxury brand focused mainly on men and I cant seem to find a supplier for all of the things im looking for in one place versus multiple suppliers supplying multiple different items.

I have read Walter Hay's book and followed those steps, but I am still not having much luck.

If anyone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it

Thanks

Marshall

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
1. Order 5-10 samples of product 'X' even though it isn't listed as luxury, see if any of the samples are up to the standards you require.

2. Look to manufacture in the US (or wherever you are). You will commonly see premium/luxury products be manufactured internally as this allows more control of quality, and control of the whole process. It also becomes a bonus for your customer.

Phones

Break your boundaries
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Aug 13, 2011
Praia da Areia Branca, Portugal
Im having trouble finding a supplier for mens fashion accesories. I am creating a luxury brand focused mainly on men and I cant seem to find a supplier for all of the things im looking for in one place versus multiple suppliers supplying multiple different items.

High quality requires specialization, that's why you'll never find a factory that achieves quality doing multiple product types at once.

That and the chance of a "supplier" being actually a middleman when they advertise multiple different product types being close to 100%.

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok

Kind of difficult when you don't say what you're looking for..

I cant seem to find a supplier for all of the things im looking for in one place versus multiple suppliers supplying multiple different items.
I'd say that's a good thing. It's your job to piece things together. If you get it all from 1 location your competition can too.

Vincent_Vega

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Dec 1, 2015
High quality requires specialization, that's why you'll never find a factory that achieves quality doing multiple product types at once.

True. Most of the time it's a NoGo if a supplier is producing your product and many other, unrelated products, too.

IGP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 24, 2015
You're trying to find "luxury" products made for dirt cheap in China? That seems to be a bit of an oxymoron.

If you already have an audience, maybe you should try drop shipping? Your margins are lower, but it's possible you could find multiple suppliers that meet the demands of your demographic.

Tweeve11

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Sep 23, 2015
So the brand will be selling Men's fashion accessories (watches, sunglasses, belts, wallets, etc...). I guess what i meant was sold products that are of a high enough quality that they can be marketed as luxury...

Drop shipping is something I am interested in, but I need my products to be private labelled. I'm creating a brand, so i cant be selling the same watches as someone else....

Because I'm selling multiple accessories, I want to be able to get all the accessories from as few suppliers as possible (most favorably, 1)

Oscar Toro

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
May 27, 2015
Hey all,

I have read Walter Hay's book and followed those steps, but I am still not having much luck.

Thanks

Marshall
Here in Perú we've got tons of those. But it's hard to get access to them, and also you need a lot of specifications and quality standards to be determined.
What kind of accesories are you looking for?

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
You're trying to find "luxury" products made for dirt cheap in China? That seems to be a bit of an oxymoron.

If you already have an audience, maybe you should try drop shipping? Your margins are lower, but it's possible you could find multiple suppliers that meet the demands of your demographic.
I have posted "Likes" for most of the posts on this thread because generally they contain sound advice.

I can understand why @IGP refers to luxury and dirt cheap in China as an oxymoron, but I think that needs some clarification.

There are many luxury goods produced in China, often for some of the world's big brand names. They might not be dirt cheap but the reason they are sourced in China by those big brands is that they can buy them there at much lower prices than they can in Western countries.

Quality ex China is usually a result of buyers' demands. If you want lowest prices you will generally get lowest quality. I should qualify that by adding that sometimes you can drive a price down and still get decent quality but as often as not the price will go up, or the manufacturer will not supply repeat orders.

If you want real luxury, or at least high quality and innovative design without huge prices it might pay to look at countries other than China. Little by little I seem to be convincing my readers to do this, and I have had some responses describing their delight at what they have found. Think outside the square.

Walter

Last edited by a moderator:

BlakeIC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 9, 2014
Not Washington

That and the chance of a "supplier" being actually a middleman when they advertise multiple different product types being close to 100%.
I am also in the markets for starting a luxoric brand, i totally forgot about the made in china vs other places in terms of quality

Save me some money there, thank you!

BlakeIC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 9, 2014
Not Washington
So the brand will be selling Men's fashion accessories (watches, sunglasses, belts, wallets, etc...). I guess what i meant was sold products that are of a high enough quality that they can be marketed as luxury...

Drop shipping is something I am interested in, but I need my products to be private labelled. I'm creating a brand, so i cant be selling the same watches as someone else....

Because I'm selling multiple accessories, I want to be able to get all the accessories from as few suppliers as possible (most favorably, 1)
avoid drop shipping, it will be the death of your company eventually

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

So you are looking for a factory that specializes in making luxury watches, sunglasses and belts? Do you see the problem here?

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
So you are looking for a factory that specializes in making luxury watches, sunglasses and belts? Do you see the problem here?
The top end brands use numerous manufacturers to supply the numerous different products they sell under their brand.

Sometimes one manufacturing company will sub-contract manufacture of products for which they don't have manufacturing capabilities or expertise, but I am yet to see one such company in what I would call luxury products.

Walter

Tweeve11

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Sep 23, 2015
I figured the leather maker would supply both wallets and belts, but no I didnt see a problem thinking one business would supply all of those things.

Im also not necessarily looking for factories in china...

Ive found a few places that do what i am asking, but specifically for womens clothes and accessories...

ChrisJTurner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Mar 13, 2015
UK
Most of the manufacturers in China supply both cheap and luxury items.

Most of the fashion brands you see are made in the same factory as the cheap "non-brand" items.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Most of the manufacturers in China supply both cheap and luxury items.

Most of the fashion brands you see are made in the same factory as the cheap "non-brand" items.
Exactly right. Most people seem to think that China = cheap and nasty, but almost every big brand now has at least some manufacturing done in China.

A major factor in my decision to start importing from China back in 1987 was that I could get superb quality, far better than what I could get locally. As an added benefit I got faster delivery, lower prices and great service.

I would not have dealt with suppliers who could not or would not provide all of that.

Walter

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.