The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

TOPIC you will speak on at the B&P GT

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Oh yeah, just a fair warning. Making fun of my Texas accent is off limits!

Y'alls need to expect some ribbin' when y'all talk like that. :tiphat:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
OK ya'll can make fun of me just leave my dawg alone.:rofl:

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
I am going to throw my 1/2 cent in here also. Yves, I am not a public speaker and have only dealing in RE for 1 year. I can talk all day in front of 10 year olds but not their parents. I have severe problems with nerves, butterflies, and losing my train of thought when on stage. All I can share is my experience and what I have learned. I do hope that is enough to bring to the table. I do know that there are people with far more knowledge and authority than I have but I will give it my best shot. I do look forward to hearing what each of everyone has to say, including you, if you're up to it. As has been said, your experience in cabins could prove invaluable to someone else. The sharing of experiences and ideas and learning is what this meeting is all about, right?

Oh yeah, just a fair warning. Making fun of my Texas accent is off limits! :rofl:

Greg
I used to be deathly afraid of public speaking. In general, I just appeared very unconfident, and it had a profound effect on my presenting skills. When I used to present in school, I hated it. I've come to realize that nobody really cares about the little mistakes. Most people struggle with public speaking; they will empathize with your perceived struggles and nobody will worry. Just go in with the mindset that you know what you're doing, and basically just tell yourself that you're better than all of them. It may not be what you believe, but you can trick your mind every once in a while.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I'm just not to a point where I feel I am knowledgable enough to speak about what I am doing.

Request Denied :D

I am all prepared to hear your presentation about cabins (I think no one else here has any clue about that business), or what's going on with the RE market in NM, especially for vacation spots like what you are doing.

I remember last year this presentation from a young 20-something that showed us a lot about trailer parks.. I had no clue about it, but others also gave him input and at the end it became a session of exchange of ideas. The same happen with my presentation. Just start the conversation and I am sure we will all get something out of it.

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
Endicott, New York, United States
I remember last year this presentation from a young 20-something that showed us a lot about trailer parks.

Hey! I remember that kid too!:idx:
Unfortunately, he won't be there this year.
He's away at studying at the police academy.:coolgleamA:

(I'm bringing his wife out with me this year though.)

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
WOW. Thanks for really caring about my little corner of the world. Knowing that you guys actually want to hear what I have to say makes me feel really, really good. I'm getting a little vaclempt here (church lady reference here).

My motivation for not speaking, was because I felt I am in first gear and there isn't much anyone can learn from- as I am still learning. I am all about sharing what I have learned so far and my aha moments- those might be useful for someone who is wanting to get into this niche. I would also love to share our website idea (does tie into cabins) and get some feedback.

I will come prepared. How long are the presentations and are we doing power point? :)

You guys are the best.

Legacy Dad

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Sep 3, 2007
Worldwide, depending on the month.
Overcoming Fear and Obstacles

I figure jumping out of planes and racing into firefights in Baghdad for a measly $70k qualifies me!

No seriously, I gave a commencement speech a few years back on this and now have an even better knowledge.

Overcoming Fear, Facing Adversity and Obstacles. = Getting off your a$$ and doing something.

I'll even throw in some of Russ's "Bucket List/Stephen Covey" at the end of your life do you want to be a regretful wimp stuff.

Being a gadfly today I am :pissed:

Lance

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Yves/Bobbo said:
How long are the presentations and are we doing power point?
"10-15 minutes or so . . Russ...3 hours."

You have my word on this: If my presentation goes over 20 minutes, you can start removing my appendages.

Q&A doesn't count, if I get a lot of follow-up questions.

And just so you know-- I don't plan on parting with my appendages.

I've become very attached to them. ;)

-Russ H.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Legacy Dad said:
Being a gadfly today I am

Talking like yoda you are. Hmph!

"Do, or do not. There is no try." Yoda

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Doing a spreadsheet on this right now.

-Russ H.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
Okay, I'm late to the game... a month in Mexico could do that to a person.

We are comin to the get together and can talk about Self Storage if there is an interest.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Sounds good, Sonya.

You're on the list.

-Russ H.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Russ is there a way to PM or email you? Let me know I'd like your opinion on my topic.

RE Taipan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Aug 28, 2007
Balboa Island, CA
Russ...Hello...I could talk on about prob the only thing that I know anything about (and that is questionable too)....corporations, setting up divisions, liability reduction that is afforded, etc...

...would that be of interest to anyone?

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
RE taipan-

YES YES YES!

(is that a subtle enough answer for you?)

The post I recall reading from you on this was amazing-- having a flowchart type handout with an outline of how to do it would be most helpful, for everyone.

We can talk details if you'd like.

I'll try to send you and Rawr my personal email addy tomorrow.

-Russ H.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Snowbank-

Could you do a 15 min presentation on how you can use poker as an investment skill, or how to use with a PLAN?

I know you've thought about this stuff-- is this something you'd be willing to discuss?

(not so much *how* to play poker, but how to use it to fund a retirement)

-Russ H.

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX
Snowbank-

Could you do a 15 min presentation on how you can use poker as an investment skill, or how to use with a PLAN?

I know you've thought about this stuff-- is this something you'd be willing to discuss?

(not so much *how* to play poker, but how to use it to fund a retirement)

-Russ H.

Russ,

Ya, I could do something like that. I'd just have to figure out how I can present it so people would be interested in it. I'll put some ideas together and let you know what I come up with.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Cool. :)

-Russ H.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
OK I'm throwing it out there:

I can talk about current trends/lifestyles of college students and what we like to do (aka where $ and time goes) based on sample data I can get if I need it.

Beyond that, what specific things would you like to know about that 18-23 college demographic? What would you like input on? Feel free to PM or post here.

Thank you

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
OK guys and gals, here's your chance to tell us what you know.

Think of a fastlane topic that you can talk about for 15 minutes.

Or 5-10 minutes, with the remaining time being Q & A.

I've got to be honest with you guys, this presentation thing is the biggest thing holding me back from making the trip out to Phoenix, and the reason why I haven't registered yet.

My situation is I just started my business in December and am still trying to put everything together to get it off the ground. And at this point I certainly don't have enough experience to make a presentation on a fastlane topic - I barely have enough experience to make a "slowlane" presentation. :smx4:

I know that Yveskleinsky has already expressed similar concerns, but at least she has some experience to talk about, where I lack even that.

I wouldn't mind attending with my wife, but I think I'd be wasting everyone's time trying to BS my way through a 15 minute presentation on topics that I truly know nothing about.

I hope you guys can understand...

If not, let the flaming begin...

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
kwerner I'd be interested to hear about what your business is about and where you're going with it. You could also talk about the steps you had to take to get it off the ground and what hurdles you are experiencing or see in the future. If you provided a group of people that information you may be surprised at all the different ideas you get in return.

I'm really a newbie at this as well but I've got to tell ya, no one in this group has ever said anything negative to me about my efforts so far. Every time I've asked for advice I've gotten more than I expected. I think that is an important part for anyone who has been successful, to help show the way to others.

I've also got to say this, sometimes when I think about this trip, I'm as intimidated as he--. I see all these high net worth icons and I don't know if what I've got is going to be good enough. Then I think of this as a growing experience for me. Since I began this business I scare myself sometimes. Every time I've scared myself I've grown.

Count me as one who would be very interested in hearing what you have to say. Good luck either way.:cheers:

Greg

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
so talking for 10 minutes to 20 people prevent you from moving forward?
what do you have to lose? what could you gain from this experience?
I am sure that you do have something interesting to provide for the group, and I also know that you could find any excuse to not make it to the get together.

Runum's advice is great. You could present your business idea and what you have done so far, that, I'm sure, will be more than enough. But it is up to you. What's the worst that could happen? that we 'laugh' at you? and if we do, so what? What if one of the participants gives you a great advice that could make your business growth more than you ever imagined? what if, instead of just one, ten people give you feedback? But like I said, it is up to you.

PS: Runum, you kidding, right? you a newbie? you have multiple units already... that is a great accomplishment and I am looking forward to hear what you have to say.

Last edited:

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
kwerner:

I've gotta put in my $.02 here.

If there was one thing I could convince everyone on this forum to do, it would be this...
...come to Arizona!

For the cost of attending, which is a heck of a deal on it's own, you'll gain one valuable thing -- BELIEF.

When I went to my first Rich Dad gathering two years ago, I went with dreams, and came home with BELIEF.

Dreams are, well, just dreams.
But beliefs are attainable...you can do them, and you know you can do them.

SteveO made me believe in multi-families.
Russ made me believe in win-win.
Sonya made me believe in perseverence.
And my son (who also attended) made me believe it was time.

Six months later, we bought our first multi-family.

It cost us $98,000 and 15 minutes sharing what we knew.
The $98,000 seemed like it was the cheaper half of the purchase.
Talking in front of a group is not many people's favorite thing.
Think of this as "telling your friends a story" and you'll find it much easier.

Remember, just starting a company is something most people have never done.

Tell us how you selected your company.
Tell us about your favorite charity.
Tell us how you financed your company.
Tell us what makes your company unique.

But more importantly, show up, and BELIEVE.

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
so talking for 10 minutes to 20 people prevent you from moving forward?
what do you have to lose? what could you gain from this experience?
I am sure that you do have something interesting to provide for the group, and I also know that you could find any excuse to not make it to the get together.

PS: Runum, you kidding, right? you a newbie? you have multiple units already... that is a great accomplishment and I am looking forward to hear what you have to say.

Andres:

Rep++ for all you do here and over on Rich Dad.
It is REALLY appreciated when you "cross over to the dark side".:thankyousign:

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
I could also talk about alternative education for kids...Waldorf. I think this really helps you to think differently from the start.

I think its very interesting, but I'm not sure others will.

-Cynthia

Cynthia - are you a Waldorf teacher?

kwerner:

I've gotta put in my $.02 here.

If there was one thing I could convince everyone on this forum to do, it would be this...
...come to Arizona!

For the cost of attending, which is a heck of a deal on it's own, you'll gain one valuable thing -- BELIEF.

Bob - - how interesting to hear the "one" thing you walked away from that weekend with. I too walked away with one thing..

The BELIEF that MONEY IS ONLY AN IDEA. And if it is only idea - then I can CREATE any idea I want to create about money, how to bring it into my life, and how to use it to improve the world.

And yes... it is so much fun to meet different people. Each and every one of us has something to offer. At the first get together, I really did notice that each and every person there had something to teach - - - to give - - - or to inspire with.

The power of the CAP rate from SteveO
The power of expanding your thinking from Russ
The power of living outside the box from Kenric
The power of ambition and drive from Charmed Angel
The power of sharing the process with family from Bob and son
and on and on.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I've got to be honest with you guys, this presentation thing is the biggest thing holding me back from making the trip out to Phoenix, and the reason why I haven't registered yet.

My situation is I just started my business in December and am still trying to put everything together to get it off the ground. And at this point I certainly don't have enough experience to make a presentation on a fastlane topic - I barely have enough experience to make a "slowlane" presentation. :smx4:

Wait till you hear me talk about my ebiz then.

I started it on November 1st. I didn't know anything about ebiz. My biz make $800/mo and that's what I'm gonna talk about. You know why? Because "how you got started talks" are very interesting and informative to everyone. If you know nothing about ebiz, my little knowledge will probably be the first things you learn about ebiz. If I have been in ebiz for 10 years, I may be inclined to skip the simple first steps because I probably wouldn't remember them or think that they are relevant.

I understand real estate, but in the past years it's the non-real estate talks that I've learned the most from.

You will have 3 months of business startup behind you. You'll easily have 15 minutes of data. Even just talking about the field that your business is in would be very informative.

The topics can be anything business.

I'm looking forward to Snowbank's talk on poker as a business.:hurray:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!