The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

To the software developer entrepreneurs: today's painful lesson

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Figured I'd throw this up here in case it helps anyone in the future, and possibly might be of interest to people who like software and want to hear about endless loops and how they can be caused. (Plus it allows me to rant about my own stupidity)

Today, I threw my software into an endless death loop for over 4 hours, and it cost me some good money. I use a texting service called TWILIO, as well as my email, to report errors back to my phone/email respectively.

My genius logic was this: email myself up to 10 times a day, and if I go over - text myself the message. However, if I hit 15 texts a day, my backup was to email myself the message. So basically, my text method hits a limit and tries to email me, but the email is at a limit and tries to text me, and back and forth it goes at 200 times a minute for 4 hours. I still have yet to figure out how the texting request actually was received by TWILIO, as it shouldn't have gone through after my limit was hit, but my credit card was charged over $800 as well, my software went down for 4 hours and I may have lost a customer over it, or otherwise will be paying extensive downtime fees.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
Figured I'd throw this up here in case it helps anyone in the future, and possibly might be of interest to people who like software and want to hear about endless loops and how they can be caused. (Plus it allows me to rant about my own stupidity)

Today, I threw my software into an endless death loop for over 4 hours, and it cost me some good money. I use a texting service called TWILIO, as well as my email, to report errors back to my phone/email respectively.

My genius logic was this: email myself up to 10 times a day, and if I go over - text myself the message. However, if I hit 15 texts a day, my backup was to email myself the message. So basically, my text method hits a limit and tries to email me, but the email is at a limit and tries to text me, and back and forth it goes at 200 times a minute for 4 hours. I still have yet to figure out how the texting request actually was received by TWILIO, as it shouldn't have gone through after my limit was hit, but my credit card was charged over $800 as well, my software went down for 4 hours and I may have lost a customer over it, or otherwise will be paying extensive downtime fees.
Why not just use slack webhooks?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.