The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

To go all in or to not go all in?

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

AvocadoMan

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Apr 14, 2017
Australia
26/8/18

CNC machined prototypes have arrived. Very good quality and can finally start to see something close to the end product. It works very well and only a few minor changes need to be made just to make it easier to use and improve the overall quality.

Beginning revisions with the engineer shortly and moving forward towards the second CNC machined prototype.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
Good thread.
if you have any questions with cnc prototyping and or manufacturing concerns please feel free to PM me. I specailize in this realm.

AvocadoMan

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Apr 14, 2017
Australia
18/9/18

~ A major design problem has popped up that I completely overlooked. Without solving it the product will not work as needed. This could have been avoided by closer examination when testing the earlier prototypes. Everything is perfect except the one thing that makes the product unique is also what is stopping it from working. I have found a new engineer and am trying to find a solution but no luck yet.

Yesterday I reached the breaking point mentally from a combination of many things. Being so far from home with no friends or family. Having an absolute miserable time at this new job due to the people there taking a dislike to me. I have not felt alive for months. Never excited or happy or anything. I've lost my spirit and that inner energy that made me feel alive. Now it's just the same shit everyday with people I don't like.

I've just been walking forwards hoping it got better but it hasn't. This is the worst my life has ever been and I've never felt so alone and am F*cking over it.

So I decided last night that what I'm doing isn't working and that I need to change my path before something bad happens or I lose it completely. Sure by societies standards I'm doing great. I'm getting a trade and working full time and following the rules.

But my life is shit, I don't enjoy what I spend my days doing and I've had it - I refuse to spend another day feeling like I did yesterday so I am done. I've been trying to keep other people happy - I have not been listening to myself and doing what I feel is best for me.

Tomorrow I go back home to my family where I will be talking with a close mentor and doing some serious thinking about what comes next and just spending time with people who are close to me and understand me. I've been alone for almost a year and cannot do it anymore.

I have no idea what is gonna happen when I walk away from everything here and go back to my roots to try and figure myself out. I have no idea where I will end up going or what I will end up doing. But I know I have to because my gut is telling me to. I'm supposed to be doing something else. So even if things don't work out for a while I know I will find my way eventually. I've been betraying who I really am and trying to fit into something that isn't me. Spending my days with people who are completely different and I cannot relate to in any way. Who I hate being around.

Why continue when I don't have to? It's just the pressure to conform and do what you're supposed to do. Turn up at the job. Deal with it. Go home. Repeat for two more years.

No.

AvocadoMan

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Apr 14, 2017
Australia
3/10/18

May have found a solution to the design issue by moving changing some measurements.

I am back home with family and feel so much better. Having those close to me around again instead of nobody at all has grounded me much more. Currently making italian pizza part time with my little brother at night. It's lots of fun and gives me the day to read and think about everything I learn't this year and it is so good not having to work with shitty people anymore.

I will not be returning to where I was. Only to visit a mentor I found every now and then.

The plan is to spend a few months reflecting and learning from all the mistakes I made this year, while doing my best to work out the design issues with my product. Next year I will start fresh in a coastal town where I have close family.

AvocadoMan

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Apr 14, 2017
Australia
24/10/18

Due to my mistake in not testing the product early on I missed a major design problem that cannot be designed around without severely reducing the strength and function of the product. I have ceased work on this venture after concluding that a solution cannot be made without removing the entire thing that makes my product different than the old product.

Have moved to the coastal town where I have family just recently and am working around the clock on my next potential venture which I stumbled into. It is a start-up brand with an established product selling in low volumes currently. My analysis is the brand has massive potential, the product within the brand is very good quality and has been designed exceptionally well and is in a growing market. I will be working full time on this for the next month to assess the opportunity, put sweat equity into the business and determine whether or not I will become a partner and invest.

A new thread will be started for that and in the coming days I will outline all of the lessons I learnt from this venture just ending so that anyone interested may find some value in them.

AvocadoMan

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Apr 14, 2017
Australia
20181029_204836 (1).jpg
29/10/18 - Lessons and Final Thoughts

1. Right back when I started I was so overwhelmed by the whole idea of developing a new product and selling it that it would paralyse me and cause me to take no action. So I procrastinated on my idea for a while out of both fear and lack of knowledge on what to do.

What really helped me get past this stage was to treat it as an experiment and a game. I would simply do one thing each day and move myself just a little bit at a time. I used logic and common sense to break down what needed to be done and I slowly moved forward in that manner. Each day I made a little progress. Things started to fall into place and make sense.

I applied this strategy all the way through this venture. When I reached a stage where I had no idea what to do next, I simply used common sense to find a solution.

And I asked lots of questions. Questions are how you will fill in the missing links and learn the process. You must write down everything you want to know and you must work on finding answers to those questions. In this way, you will slowly begin to see how it works, you will begin to see how the process works.

And you will see that IT IS ALL SO MUCH SIMPLER THAN YOU ORIGINALLY THOUGHT IT WAS.

It's just walking into the unknown and finding answers that get's most us. We don't push on to find out what we need to know to move forward. We simply give up before we even start.

Once you do start and you make progress - things will fall into place as you move forward.

Doors will open up and answers will reveal themselves AS YOU MOVE FORWARD.

You will not find the answers and fill in the gaps if you are doing nothing.

When I decided to ditch licensing and make it myself - I was so afraid of the idea of manufacturing it myself.

I thought "Wow that must be all so hard and complicated I'll never be able to figure it all out"

I destroyed that illogical thought by simply considering that literally everything around was made that way. Someone manufactured it and is selling it and making money. If someone can manufacture and sell computers, I can make and sell a tiny plastic bracket.

So I googled plastics manufacturers, I called them - and I asked how everything works.

So I googled packaging manufacturers, I called them - and I went there and got a tour of their factory and then picked the brain of the manager for an hour - and I learned how the entire process of making and packaging and selling works.

AND IT WAS ALL EXTREMELY SIMPLE BECAUSE IT IS ALL EXTREMELY SIMPLE.

Now because of that I have a basic understanding of how to manufacture, package, distribute and sell stuff - and when I started I thought you had to be a genius to do it.

Not true. You just need to THINK better and ASK BETTER QUESTIONS.

2. Patents are a waste of time unless you have something truly remarkable and you can raise the capital to secure a patent and then fund the lawyers you will need to fight off the companies who try to steal your amazing idea. Which won't work because in court, for this particular matter, whoever has the most money wins, from what I learned talking to lawyers within the field.

In reality that amazing idea rarely happens. Only once every now and then does somebody make a groundbreaking discovery.

You are far better off getting a provisional patent and putting PATENT PENDING on all your designs. It's worth jack shit but looks better than nothing.

Now instead of obsessing over everyone stealing your idea you should actually focus on getting it into the market fast and establishing a solid position. Very rarely will someone steal your idea. They might try, then they will realize that it isn't a 5 step process that just goes 1,2,3,4,5. It's actually a 200 step process with constant problems, setbacks, design issues, errors and obstacles that need to be overcome. They'll give up at the first problem. I promise. That's why the people who make this happen are a very small statistic. It's hard and takes "going from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm"

Just do not tell the wrong person - most people are lazy and have no clue what goes into making it happen. But there are a few that do and if you tell them then they will compete to make it happen. So

3. Test your damn product as soon as you can.

This was my ruin.

If I simply tested the prototypes early on I would have seen the simple and obvious issue that prevented it from working properly. It still worked, but this little issue effected how it worked.

But I refused to face the reality that something could not work with my idea and I just kept going instead.

So test early on and fail early on. You will save time and money.

4. A good mechanical engineer or designer is a valuable asset. Try to find one with over 10 years of experience and with knowledge on the in's and out's of manufacturing.

Often if you simply asks manufacturers to refer you to one, they will have a few solid contacts.

Do not outsource to someone who charges $10 per hour in India.

It is far easier to just pay the money for someone who really knows their shit and can not only do what you need but teach you also.

5. Good communication is absolutely essential. Without it, do not even bother.

One of my mentors who is 75 has been in business since has was 18.

His first lesson to me was do not even bother with business unless you can communicate well.

This is such a simple yet crucial factor. Whether you are writing an email or speaking on the phone - DO IT SO PEOPLE UNDERSTAND YOU.

Use simple language and be very clear. And confirm that they get what you are saying.

It prevents errors and move's things along faster also.

I hope this is of some value to you dear reader. Don't make the same mistake I did or you're actually an idiot.

As for me. Time for round two.

Last edited:

Marigold

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Nov 15, 2018
Glasgow & Malaga
View attachment 22300
29/10/18 - Lessons and Final Thoughts

1. Right back when I started I was so overwhelmed by the whole idea of developing a new product and selling it that it would paralyse me and cause me to take no action. So I procrastinated on my idea for a while out of both fear and lack of knowledge on what to do.

What really helped me get past this stage was to treat it as an experiment and a game. I would simply do one thing each day and move myself just a little bit at a time. I used logic and common sense to break down what needed to be done and I slowly moved forward in that manner. Each day I made a little progress. Things started to fall into place and make sense.

I applied this strategy all the way through this venture. When I reached a stage where I had no idea what to do next, I simply used common sense to find a solution.

And I asked lots of questions. Questions are how you will fill in the missing links and learn the process. You must write down everything you want to know and you must work on finding answers to those questions. In this way, you will slowly begin to see how it works, you will begin to see how the process works.

And you will see that IT IS ALL SO MUCH SIMPLER THAN YOU ORIGINALLY THOUGHT IT WAS.

It's just walking into the unknown and finding answers that get's most us. We don't push on to find out what we need to know to move forward. We simply give up before we even start.

Once you do start and you make progress - things will fall into place as you move forward.

Doors will open up and answers will reveal themselves AS YOU MOVE FORWARD.

You will not find the answers and fill in the gaps if you are doing nothing.

When I decided to ditch licensing and make it myself - I was so afraid of the idea of manufacturing it myself.

I thought "Wow that must be all so hard and complicated I'll never be able to figure it all out"

I destroyed that illogical thought by simply considering that literally everything around was made that way. Someone manufactured it and is selling it and making money. If someone can manufacture and sell computers, I can make and sell a tiny plastic bracket.

So I googled plastics manufacturers, I called them - and I asked how everything works.

So I googled packaging manufacturers, I called them - and I went there and got a tour of their factory and then picked the brain of the manager for an hour - and I learned how the entire process of making and packaging and selling works.

AND IT WAS ALL EXTREMELY SIMPLE BECAUSE IT IS ALL EXTREMELY SIMPLE.

Now because of that I have a basic understanding of how to manufacture, package, distribute and sell stuff - and when I started I thought you had to be a genius to do it.

Not true. You just need to THINK better and ASK BETTER QUESTIONS.

2. Patents are a waste of time unless you have something truly remarkable and you can raise the capital to secure a patent and then fund the lawyers you will need to fight off the companies who try to steal your amazing idea. Which won't work because in court, for this particular matter, whoever has the most money wins, from what I learned talking to lawyers within the field.

In reality that amazing idea rarely happens. Only once every now and then does somebody make a groundbreaking discovery.

You are far better off getting a provisional patent and putting PATENT PENDING on all your designs. It's worth jack sh*t but looks better than nothing.

Now instead of obsessing over everyone stealing your idea you should actually focus on getting it into the market fast and establishing a solid position. Very rarely will someone steal your idea. They might try, then they will realize that it isn't a 5 step process that just goes 1,2,3,4,5. It's actually a 200 step process with constant problems, setbacks, design issues, errors and obstacles that need to be overcome. They'll give up at the first problem. I promise. That's why the people who make this happen are a very small statistic. It's hard and takes "going from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm"

Just do not tell the wrong person - most people are lazy and have no clue what goes into making it happen. But there are a few that do and if you tell them then they will compete to make it happen. So

3. Test your damn product as soon as you can.

This was my ruin.

If I simply tested the prototypes early on I would have seen the simple and obvious issue that prevented it from working properly. It still worked, but this little issue effected how it worked.

But I refused to face the reality that something could not work with my idea and I just kept going instead.

So test early on and fail early on. You will save time and money.

4. A good mechanical engineer or designer is a valuable asset. Try to find one with over 10 years of experience and with knowledge on the in's and out's of manufacturing.

Often if you simply asks manufacturers to refer you to one, they will have a few solid contacts.

Do not outsource to someone who charges $10 per hour in India.

It is far easier to just pay the money for someone who really knows their sh*t and can not only do what you need but teach you also.

5. Good communication is absolutely essential. Without it, do not even bother.

One of my mentors who is 75 has been in business since has was 18.

His first lesson to me was do not even bother with business unless you can communicate well.

This is such a simple yet crucial factor. Whether you are writing an email or speaking on the phone - DO IT SO PEOPLE UNDERSTAND YOU.

Use simple language and be very clear. And confirm that they get what you are saying.

It prevents errors and move's things along faster also.

I hope this is of some value to you dear reader. Don't make the same mistake I did or you're actually an idiot.

As for me. Time for round two.
This post has just helped me considerably and probably cut hours of wasted time researching patents. Thank you!!!

AvocadoMan

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Apr 14, 2017
Australia
This post has just helped me considerably and probably cut hours of wasted time researching patents. Thank you!!!
You're very welcome.

Researching patents isn't a complete waste of time but most people waste a lot of time doing it because they're paranoid idiots.

Being somewhat paranoid when it comes to your ideas is ok - but most take it way too far. To the point where they can't communicate to their designers or their people because they are so paranoid.

This is dumb and it will annoy everyone you deal with. They just want to do their job and they cannot do their job if you cannot tell them exactly what you are doing and exactly what you want.

If they want to steal your idea then let them do it. Who cares.

If by some miracle they actually are smart, willing to do the work and they pull it off - good for them, they deserve it.

Chances are they won't and can't be bothered anyway.

In my opinion you are better off focusing completely on what gets your idea out of your head and into the market a fast as possible.

What took me two years could have taken less than one.

This is because I wasted time doing things that had no return on my time yet made me think I was making progress.

All the best.

AvocadoMan

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Apr 14, 2017
Australia
1/06/2019 - 2:30am

After giving up and having more than 6 months away from my venture, I picked up my old prototype this morning and found a way that it may still work - a way that I completely missed the first time because I was so focused on it working another way.

For the past several months I have been working part time and spending time with family after I fell apart at the end of last year.

In this time I healed my body of all the injuries I developed, wrote an adventure novel and got back on my feet, ready to try again.

Sometimes, when nothing is going right and you just can't overcome what is in front of you, the best thing to do is give up, trust the universe and take a big step back.

Then rest.

And gain perspective.

It won't fix your problems and it won't change your life situation.

But.

It will clear your mind.

It will allow you to see what you could not see before.

And so now we will see if I can finish what I started almost three years ago.

Sadik

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
Jan 26, 2017
Kolkata, India
1/06/2019 - 2:30am

After giving up and having more than 6 months away from my venture, I picked up my old prototype this morning and found a way that it may still work - a way that I completely missed the first time because I was so focused on it working another way.

For the past several months I have been working part time and spending time with family after I fell apart at the end of last year.

In this time I healed my body of all the injuries I developed, wrote an adventure novel and got back on my feet, ready to try again.

Sometimes, when nothing is going right and you just can't overcome what is in front of you, the best thing to do is give up, trust the universe and take a big step back.

Then rest.

And gain perspective.

It won't fix your problems and it won't change your life situation.

But.

It will clear your mind.

It will allow you to see what you could not see before.

And so now we will see if I can finish what I started almost three years ago.
Please do let us know...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.