The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

TMF vs Doing something you enjoy doing the rest of your life

Wiezel

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Oct 15, 2018
The Netherlands
Do something you enjoy doing the rest of your life
vs
Scaling a business and enjoy your freedom when you are financial independent

First one: you'll do something you really enjoy doing so it won't feel like work. Downside is that you might still need to 'work' till you're 70 years old.
Second one: you'll do something you might not enjoy but is neccesary (solving a need) but you'll be 'free' in a shorter period of time with financial benefits.

Thoughts?
I believe both can be a great decision, it's depending what you want out of life.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

100ToOne

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Jul 1, 2018
Do you mean do something you enjoy till 70 years old as a job that you enjoy?

The problem with that is you can't control your job. One day the company goes bankrupt and you'll need to find another job. One day your "good" boss is fired and you get a boss that will kill you by making you do stuff that you don't enjoy.

Another thing is what if you stop enjoying what you do in 10 years time?

On the other side, having a fastlane business will free you financially, therefore you're now open to doing whatever you feel like. Even if you do it free of charge and you're enjoying it, you don't care, unlike that job you enjoy.

Duane

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Jul 23, 2015
Lakeland FL
I don't know about you, but creating a system that enhances the quality of many people's lives and deposits dollars in my bank account all the time without me having to do much is quite enjoyable.

Vitaly the Winne

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jun 4, 2019
California
Why not both?

Create a fastlane system, and then enjoy doing whatever you like. If you want to work a job, work a job, and if you end up not enjoying it you're not obligated to work. The freedom of choice sounds like the most logical option, because it will open up other freedoms.

ShamanKing

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Aug 30, 2018
California
I thought they compliment each other? Create a system where you generate wealth without being there physically hence you can do things you enjoy/love.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I don't know about you, but creating a system that enhances the quality of many people's lives and deposits dollars in my bank account all the time without me having to do much is quite enjoyable.

People who have yet to experience this connected feedback loop of value don't understand this. (Although "without having to do much" takes considerable time).

That's why "follow your passion" and "do what you love" continues to persist.

People simply want to avoid transformative pain.

They believe starting and running a business is not enjoyable.

This question sounds either/or when you can have both - you can enjoy your work while also make a huge financial impact.

Bearcorp

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
In my experience people that work for someone else but say they love what they do are kidding themselves so they don't have to face the reality, that really they wish they had freedom.

Vitaly the Winne

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jun 4, 2019
California
People who have yet to experience this connected feedback loop of value don't understand this. (Although "without having to do much" takes considerable time).

That's why "follow your passion" and "do what you love" continues to persist.

People simply want to avoid transformative pain.

They believe starting and running a business is not enjoyable.

This question sounds either/or when you can have both - you can enjoy your work while also make a huge financial impact.
I was just literally listening to TMF and got to the part about following passion, it makes sense why sometimes we don't need to focus in getting paid to do what we love because we aren't great at it, and the marketplace rewards exceptionalism and greatness.

Would you hire a great or an average band to play at a wedding? And would the catering company be just okay, or have a proven track record?

Although we love some things, it doesn't always translate to value in the marketplace, and understandably consumers won't vote for our business with value vouchers because there are better options.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
I'm going to echo that this is a false dichotomy. Free yourself, have fun doing it, and then have even more fun as a more self reliant person. It's not a bad formula. What makes you think that employment, or a business you can't scale past basic ends meeting, will make it easier to enjoy whatever it is you enjoy? Why is this the choice?

Matt Hunt

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
May 9, 2019
My problem is that in my life I've had like 5 or 6 different passions. They come and go. I discover something new, I go all in, then I end up losing interest. So what happens if I'm doing something I love, but not making much money, then I stop loving it? Now I'm doing something I don't love... and not making much money.

TMF opened my eyes to this and changed my course. I've really never loved any job I've had. I tend to change every 2 years. I had been pursuing what I love to try to make a living out of that, but hadn't gotten anywhere in the last 2 years.

So for me, the better course is to get to financial freedom. Then I can do whatever I want, and if whatever I want changes, no big deal.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.