The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Tips for writing a textbook

DanInSyd

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Nov 7, 2016
Hi all,

I started out writing a guide for new colleagues coming in to our business (think trainees, and assistant level staff) explaining some of the intricacies of the job, an overview of the industry, and where we sit within it etc. This was drafted off my own back really, as I was having to regurgitate the same information to new and junior members who I was mentoring, and I thought it would be helpful.

After noticing a difference in the qualities of my subordinates after reading through and using the guide, this got me thinking about expanding it to make it a textbook/proper guide.

Has anyone been through this process before, and if so what advice would you give?

I have a rough list of 11 main topics that would become chapters, and these have a variety of sub and sub-sub topics which can be expanded on much more than the guide. (Naturally at the moment I can answer questions that they have in person, which could be expanded in the book).

I see a need, as despite being reasonably experienced in my field, I only graduated from University last year (at 31), so I know the level of people coming in at the bottom of the industry, and the gaps in the education system that doesn't particularly help them for the post graduation world. (Plus this role is a slight variation from that which is taught at universities and colleges around the world, but every Construction company will probably have at least one of these people on their books). Target market is undergrad level, or anyone coming in to the industry.

There is only one other book in this particular area that I have ever seen, and it has differences to the way I would lay out my own ideas, but it is good to see what else has been done already, and I don't want to copy the exact format.

Anyway, the main question is just about textbook writing and tips that others may have adopted when writing their own? I'm happy to go down the self publish etc route at present as this is still for my benefit, and will worry about potentially publishing if it ends up any good!

Thanks,

Dan

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.