The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Time to Billionaire status

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

gabrielpark

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Sep 21, 2011
Reisterstown, MD
Speed To Wealth: Clocking how long it takes to hit a billion.
(I saw this awesome graphic in a Forbes magazine. The link to the article does not have the graphic, it's just the following text...)
"In July 1999 Jay Walker set a DiMaggian record by passing $1 billion in net worth (liquid or illiquid assets) within one year of founding Priceline. He broke a mark set a year earlier by Global Crossing's Gary Winnick. Neither man is on the 400 today. That's a good reminder for the speedsters of our time, Groupon's Eric Lefkofsky and the Facebook mafia, to set some cash aside."
Jay Walker: 1 year
Gary Winnick: 1.5 years
Eric Lefkofsky: 2.5 years
Jeff Bezos: 4 years
Mark Zuckerberg: 4 years
Sean Park: 6.5 years
Sergey Brin: 8 years
Larry Page: 8 years
Bill Gates: 12 years
Daniel Och: 13 years
Warren Buffet: 19 years
Henry Ford: 23 years
John D. Rockefeller: 25 years
Ray Dolby: 40 years

I've added the below information. All links lead to Wikipedia pages.
Jay Walker: 1 year . Founded Priceline. No longer a billionaire.
Gary Winnick: 1.5 years. Founded Global Crossing.
Eric Lefkofsky: 2.5 years. Serial entrepreneur, Groupon.
Jeff Bezos: 4 years, Amazon.com
Mark Zuckerberg: 4 years
Sean Park: 6.5 years
Sergey Brin: 8 years
Larry Page: 8 years
Bill Gates: 12 years
Daniel Och: 13 years
Warren Buffet: 19 years
Henry Ford: 23 years
John D. Rockefeller: 25 years
Ray Dolby: 40 years

Edit: Finally able to edit posts, but I've replied further down in this thread already. That post has all the links I intended to put in this post.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

vangorilla

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Aug 15, 2011
South Florida
Jeff Bezos was living in a 500 sq ft apartment and in less than 5 years he was worth $10B...all because he spotting a massive trend and capitalized on it. Definitely a "Fastlaner".

gabrielpark

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Sep 21, 2011
Reisterstown, MD
I think half of them are fastlaners. I'm finding that it's hard not to slip back into the "slowlaner" mentality, myself. I'll try to repost all of the links later, since I didn't finish. Right now I can't edit my post and can only access the forum from my mobile.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Darkside

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 4, 2010
San Diego
Wonder what Rockefeller and Ford's time to billionaire status would have been if you converted their money to today's dollars? Or did they do that already in the calculations?

In the age of the internet, it takes much less time to become a billionaire. Rockefeller had to do a lot more grunt work to get his business going, but when it did get going it really took off. In today's money he'd be worth over 200 billion dollars.

adiakritos

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
May 30, 2011
sorry man but most of those people spent more than 1-2 years working on initial projects.

Jay Walker

Walker Digital is a privately-held "innovation and development" lab founded in 1994 and based in Stamford, Connecticut..... In 2000, Forbes estimated his net worth at $1.6 billion.[2] By October 2000, his estimated worth was down to $333 million.[3]

that's a 16 year time difference.

The same is true for a each of the other people I researched on wikipedia.

Either way having this list of names is great because it keeps me grounded in the reality of what is possible and what it takes to become filthy rich. =D

gabrielpark

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Sep 21, 2011
Reisterstown, MD
sorry man but most of those people spent more than 1-2 years working on initial projects.

Jay Walker

Walker Digital is a privately-held "innovation and development" lab founded in 1994 and based in Stamford, Connecticut..... In 2000, Forbes estimated his net worth at $1.6 billion.[2] By October 2000, his estimated worth was down to $333 million.[3]
that's a 16 year time difference.
The same is true for a each of the other people I researched on wikipedia.

Either way having this list of names is great because it keeps me grounded in the reality of what is possible and what it takes to become filthy rich. =D

That's exactly why I posted it and was trying to post all links to wiki. It's very motivating to see what is possible on a set timeline. When I am at a PC I will try to finish the job.

gabrielpark

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Sep 21, 2011
Reisterstown, MD
Actually that's true when you appreciate that this is time to BILLIONaire status. They likely achieved millionaire status relatively fast. Unlike most people on most forums who are shooting for millionaire status, I am not. I'm aiming for billionaire and have a solid plan but I don't have a timeline and I'm lost in the gap between making "hundreds of millions" and making billions. I think my mental issue is with thinking and executing on a global scale.

gabrielpark

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Sep 21, 2011
Reisterstown, MD
This is the link to the original article: Speed To Wealth: Clocking how long it takes to hit a billion.

I've added links to the below information. All links lead to Wikipedia pages. The point of me posting this is to show that the fastlane does not only lead to millions of dollars of income, but also billions. If these guys were able to get to Billionaire status this quickly then I am sure that most of them either became millionaires much faster than these numbers show, or they started as millionaires. It would be even more enlightening to see how quickly each of them became millionaires and then explore how much their lives changed as they transitioned from being a "garden variety millionaire" to billionaire status...

Jay Walker: 1 year . Founded Priceline. No longer a billionaire.
Gary Winnick: 1.5 years. Founded Global Crossing No longer a billionaire.
Eric Lefkofsky: 2.5 years. Serial entrepreneur, Groupon.
Jeff Bezos: 4 years, Amazon.com
Mark Zuckerberg: 4 years, Facebook
Sean Park: 6.5 years (Who is this guy? Did they mean Sean Parker, founder of Plaxo and ex-president of Facebook? They have a massive write up on Sean Parker in this issue.)
Sergey Brin: 8 years, Google
Larry Page: 8 years, Google
Bill Gates: 12 years, Microsoft
Daniel Och: 13 years via Hedge Funds
Warren Buffet: 19 years, Value Investing
Henry Ford: 23 years, refined/popularized Assembly line manufacturing
John D. Rockefeller: 25 years, integrated oil producing, transporting, refining, and manufacturing via Standard Oil
Ray Dolby: 40 years, inventor of Dolby Noise Reduction

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.