The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Thoughts and feedback on 'startup' idea

Idea threads

Simon Olesen

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Jun 18, 2020
Danmark
Hi TFF

First post after my introduction , where i said i've pretty much just been driving down the road of fake action. But after reading a lot of threads on the forum, i realised that after almost a year of trying to come up the perfect business idea/way of helping people, it's alsmost impossible coming up with something that makes CENTS and so on from the very start (at least that's what i've felt so far). So i figured it's better doing something rather than nothing.

I'm a dairy trainee and i feel good working in the industry atm, but i know don't wanna work that way my entire life (7-15, 15-23, 23-07, 06-18 or whatever ramdom working hours there may be sometimes), and people literally arguing with each other about getting extra shifts, cause of the extreme bonuses you get for working on weekends. Greedy and lots of negative people working in an industry getting more and more bureaucratic by the years.

However, i like the science and other general stuff about dairy. Therefore i considered making a kind of blog/forum going into the depth of the products and the industry, as you can find a lot of information about the topic in general, but not i depth. Whereas i have a lot of knowledge that can barely be found on google or anywhere else, by being a dairy student and working in the industry.
I know this probably won't be scaleable at the start and may never will be and won't follow the commandments of CENTS and won't be very fastlane. But i consider doing it to learn more about setting up websites, SEO, a little bit of affilliate, better my english by writing etc. To just do something that's not reading about selfhelp, faking action and not procrastinate all the time. Maybe it would get clicks and readers or maybe not at all. Maybe it could devolop into something bigger and completely different, inspire me, or give me other ideas.

So i wanted to hear you out, if you have any advice on this. Would this be completely nuts and waste of time - maybe just a silly way of hiding procrastination? Have any of you tried doing similar stuff in other industries and even made a little dime on it? Can it be monetized besides banner ads and maybe a few affiliate links, as there won't be lots in this exact business etc.
Any knowledge, advice and feedback would be great :)

Thanks for spending your valuable time reading my post - have a great weekend, whether you lay on the couch drinking wine or work hard on your business

-Simon

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
Hi

I might be wrong but I can't see that many people would be looking for further information about dairy or the dairy industry.

Most people are brought up consuming all food categories and therefore don't think about them.

However when someone decides to follow a diet that is not the norm - if I can say it like that - it makes sense that they would look for further information.

Some of your reasons given above for doing a blog is to learn about websites, SEO, practice English. So might I suggest another norm for you that is not a norm for almost everyone else.

Denmark.

Anyone from another country looking to go to Denmark on holiday or a business trip will seek information about it because it is not their norm.

And you are an expert!

You can throw some Danish Red facts into that. Plus Danish Bacon and Danish Pastries and burning witches on the 23rd June. Got your matches ready? :)

Dan

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Maybe a Youtube channel that's educational would be a neat idea. I'm not sure how you would monetize something like that though but am guessing alot of people would watch that (I'm drinking chocolate milk right now and would watch a video on it)

biophase posted a thread on here somewhere, someone made a chanel about ants....yes ants, and had millions of views.

FierceRacoon

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jun 1, 2019
Can you make a podcast about it, or will there be legal liability if you start filming the farm? I imagine, if you interviewed a lot of people in the dairy industry — and then other industries — you can help young people choose a career that inspires them.

Simon Olesen

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Jun 18, 2020
Danmark
Hi

I might be wrong but I can't see that many people would be looking for further information about dairy or the dairy industry.

Most people are brought up consuming all food categories and therefore don't think about them.

However when someone decides to follow a diet that is not the norm - if I can say it like that - it makes sense that they would look for further information.

Some of your reasons given above for doing a blog is to learn about websites, SEO, practice English. So might I suggest another norm for you that is not a norm for almost everyone else.

Denmark.

Anyone from another country looking to go to Denmark on holiday or a business trip will seek information about it because it is not their norm.

And you are an expert!

You can throw some Danish Red facts into that. Plus Danish Bacon and Danish Pastries and burning witches on the 23rd June. Got your matches ready? :)

Dan
I had the same thought - is it adding value for anyone? Why should anyone want to get a deeper understanding of the topic?
I made a couple searches on Google Trends, and not a surprise; not many searching for regular dairy, but a lot of searches on the newer trends like oat- soy- coconut- and almondmilk and other stuff like lactose-free products thats coming to the market in new variations all the time.
I guess more and more people wanna get a deeper understanding for what they are eating and drinking, when get to care more about their health and turn vegans etc.

About being an expert. I never thouht of it like that, but i guess youre right; and maybe i could turn that into something

Gonna eat some danish bacon and pastries later today and light up the witch on the 24th*;)

Thanks for the great feedback

-Simon

Simon Olesen

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Jun 18, 2020
Danmark
Maybe a Youtube channel that's educational would be a neat idea. I'm not sure how you would monetize something like that though but am guessing alot of people would watch that (I'm drinking chocolate milk right now and would watch a video on it)

biophase posted a thread on here somewhere, someone made a chanel about ants....yes ants, and had millions of views.
Makes sense, i’d actually also prefer wathing rather reading about it myself.
Ants.. People post and watch some crazy stuff these days. But why not. I often catch myself watching some weird videos
Appreciate the comment

-Simon

Simon Olesen

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Jun 18, 2020
Danmark
Can you make a podcast about it, or will there be legal liability if you start filming the farm? I imagine, if you interviewed a lot of people in the dairy industry — and then other industries — you can help young people choose a career that inspires them.
It’s hard getting to shoot videos of it, as there’s many business secrets on the inside so to speak, as new tecniques and ways to produce is under development all the time.
But a way to help people choose their career path could be great, as that’s a problem i’ve had myself and know many other struggling with the same problem
Thanks

-Simon

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
Would this be completely nuts and waste of time - maybe just a silly way of hiding procrastination?

Yes.

I like your inclination to start with what you know: The dairy industry.

But focus your efforts on developing a product or service that solves a problem that can be sold for money.

Every industry has problems.

Simon Olesen

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Jun 18, 2020
Danmark
Yes.

But focus your efforts on developing a product or service that solves a problem that can be sold for money.

Thank you for the honest answer

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
Thank you for the honest answer

You're welcome. Just my 2 cents. Feel free to ignore it.

I don't believe in starting anything that doesn't have an end goal in mind.

Examples:

Idea: Come up with an a chemical additive that improves digestion of a dairy product
End goal: Produce and supply the big dairy manufactures with this product, lactose intolerant people rejoice worldwide.

Idea: Come up with a cattle feed that is reduces livestock methane emission by 10%.
End goal: Supply to farms and reduce global c02 emissions.

Your Idea: "Make a kind of blog/forum going into the depth of the products and the industry"
Your End Goal: Provide knowledge about the science of the dairy industry that can't easily be found anywhere else and maybe it will develop into something bigger or completely different.

If you are going to go forward with the content idea... dig deeper into the why, and the ultimate purpose of it. What's the "something bigger"? Where could you see this going in 5 years? Is it actually providing value or not? Are there people who want this information and why? Is this information that people would pay or subscribe for? What difference is it making in the world? Is the lack of available knowledge a HUGE pain point in the industry, or a small one? Or is it even a pain point at all?

You need that long-term goal, that purpose, to keep you going, once your initial enthusiasm burns out.

Simon Olesen

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Jun 18, 2020
Danmark
You're welcome. Just my 2 cents. Feel free to ignore it.

I don't believe in starting anything that doesn't have an end goal in mind.

Examples:

Idea: Come up with an a chemical additive that improves digestion of a dairy product
End goal: Produce and supply the big dairy manufactures with this product, lactose intolerant people rejoice worldwide.

Idea: Come up with a cattle feed that is reduces livestock methane emission by 10%.
End goal: Supply to farms and reduce global c02 emissions.

Your Idea: "Make a kind of blog/forum going into the depth of the products and the industry"
Your End Goal: Provide knowledge about the science of the dairy industry that can't easily be found anywhere else and maybe it will develop into something bigger or completely different.

If you are going to go forward with the content idea... dig deeper into the why, and the ultimate purpose of it. What's the "something bigger"? Where could you see this going in 5 years? Is it actually providing value or not? Are there people who want this information and why? Is this information that people would pay or subscribe for? What difference is it making in the world? Is the lack of available knowledge a HUGE pain point in the industry, or a small one? Or is it even a pain point at all?

You need that long-term goal, that purpose, to keep you going, once your initial enthusiasm burns out.
I agree to what you say, and great idea examples. Guess it isn't a huge pain at all, and the end goal, purpose and the why aren't very clear at all. Answers like these gives me new ways of generating ideas and seeing them from different perspectives all the time, so it's highly appreciated. That's a reason for posting this thread too - to get more critical eyes on; not just to get my idea completely trashed, but to see it from different perspectives
:)
-Simon

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
Answers like these gives me new ways of generating ideas and seeing them from different perspectives all the time, so it's highly appreciated.

Glad you found it helpful.

G

Guest1413tpa

Yes.

One problem happening right now (or rather recently in the US), what to do with excess product? Has to be a better solution than taking an insurance hit on it, as we have unemployed and food insecure individuals. There are massive market opportunities to do good and also create some value you get paid on.

Just an idea. There are probably many more in the Dairy industry.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
Great line of thinking @MrTrash757 .

Opportunity abounds in every industry right now. Covid has changed the game.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.