The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

looking to get some thoughts and feedback on a concept

Puppy

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Aug 21, 2017
new york
sometimes i come up with a crazy idea that surpasses all other crazy ideas. only, just because its a crazy idea doesnt mean its stupid. does it?

anyways this is the one ive been kicking around. id like to get some first impressions on what you guys think of it.

its a book. a book that will sell for $500 a copy. a book that doesnt have a single word written it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Sounds good, my friend (also from NYC) made good money from a book with his photography portfolio in it :p

mo3

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Sep 6, 2017
UK
So, a notebook??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xavier X

Gold Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Jan 1, 2016
These United States
What makes me want the book?

Human inclination to be part of occasional viral meaninglessness like these.

Think:

- The pet rock

s-l300.jpg

- The $30 Supreme brick (has no actual use)

youtube-supreme-brick-00.jpg

- Buying plots of land on different planets etc

Once in a while someone comes up with one of these things and makes a killing, because people are sheep.

In some cases they hope it will become a collector's item they can cash in on down the line.

mo3

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Sep 6, 2017
UK
I'm very new, but this sounds a lot like chasing money rather than working to give something valuable to lots of people (that would then end up attracting money).

Xavier X

Gold Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Jan 1, 2016
These United States
I'm very new, but this sounds a lot like chasing money rather than working to give something valuable to lots of people (that would then end up attracting money).

It doesn't just "sound like." It is the textbook definition of it.

Aaron T

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
345%
Aug 27, 2017
sometimes i come up with a crazy idea that surpasses all other crazy ideas. only, just because its a crazy idea doesnt mean its stupid. does it?

anyways this is the one ive been kicking around. id like to get some first impressions on what you guys think of it.

its a book. a book that will sell for $500 a copy. a book that doesnt have a single word written it.

I am inclined to go all Wolf of Wallstreet on ya here..
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftFAbPnNYrg

If you can sell me this book. If you can, then you probably have something. For the record I have many books in my collection I paid far more than $500 for that often have very few if any words in them. But they all have value.

Philip Marlowe

Every Day On, No Days Off
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Apr 28, 2017
NE
For the record I have many books in my collection I paid far more than $500 for that often have very few if any words in them
This reminded me of Anchorman...

focusedlife

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 16, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Probably need more to go on here in order for anyone to give you anything remotely valuable.

What does the book do?

Why should anyone buy the book?

What's the value?

I mean, even the pet rock came with some sort of 32-page official training manual titled The Care and Training of Your Pet Rock included.

That stuff adds pedigree, and, perhaps some degree of exclusivity.

What does your noteless notebook do?

ExcelGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Aug 11, 2016
Waterloo, Ontario
It's been done already. I forget what it's called but read about it just a little while ago.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

mo3

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Sep 6, 2017
UK
It's been done already. I forget what it's called but read about it just a little while ago.

Ah, but nothing to stop it being done bettter, right? [emoji6]

Personally I wouldn't go for it as it doesn't really help anyone, but we can't rule out something just because it's been done before or most of us would have to start over!

scott wisniewsk

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
263%
Aug 23, 2007
wisconsin

Ive always had in the back of my mind placing an ad in certain magazines send me $1 and I will show you how to make a million guaranteed. Then I just tell them to do what Im doing until you get a million dollars

mo3

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Sep 6, 2017
UK
Ive always had in the back of my mind placing an ad in certain magazines send me $1 and I will show you how to make a million guaranteed. Then I just tell them to do what Im doing until you get a million dollars

Hahahaha! [emoji23]

Puppy

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Aug 21, 2017
new york
Good concept. Does it bring value?
yes. for the people its intended for. tho it is a small and exclusive group. the idea can also be branched out into the more mainstream market.

What makes me want the book?
if you are a part of the niche im trying to provide value to you will reconize the value of the book right away as it is an outlet to fulfill your needs and desires.

i see what your saying but i can say its really not. its a personal project to benefit only a very small niche and it provides high value to those people and no value to most people. but then i only want to bring it to the people who have a need for it.

I am inclined to go all Wolf of Wallstreet on ya here..
If you can sell me this book. If you can, then you probably have something. For the record I have many books in my collection I paid far more than $500 for that often have very few if any words in them. But they all have value.
Great! now i know my price point is realistic for its value. not sure if you are in the target audience tho.

Probably need more to go on here in order for anyone to give you anything remotely valuable.
What does the book do?
Why should anyone buy the book?
What's the value?
I mean, even the pet rock came with some sort of 32-page official training manual titled The Care and Training of Your Pet Rock included.
That stuff adds pedigree, and, perhaps some degree of exclusivity.
What does your noteless notebook do?
important questions. im not sure how well i can answer without going into too much detail.
the book will satisfy a specific need/desire that a small percentage of the population has
no one but the target market will have an interest in the book except for maybe as a oddity/wtf product
the value is a book that is exclusively designed to to provide for a specfic need/desire

not by me and my version. ill have to look up who else has done it and see what i can learn from them.

Ah, but nothing to stop it being done bettter, right? [emoji6] Personally I wouldn't go for it as it doesn't really help anyone, but we can't rule out something just because it's been done before or most of us would have to start over!
THIS. everything has been done already in some form. the book i want to do will help those its ment for. once ive done it, someone else can use it in other forms to help other people.

always wanted to do this as a kid. just to see what would happen.

Puppy

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Aug 21, 2017
new york
thank you to everyone who chimed in on this idea.

the price point is acceptable if it can deliver value. i will keep this as something that needs to be made available to the people its ment for and not just another silly idea

TheOwl8

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
308%
Dec 5, 2013
thank you to everyone who chimed in on this idea.

the price point is acceptable if it can deliver value. i will keep this as something that needs to be made available to the people its ment for and not just another silly idea

Is it going to have an amazing cover and binding? An empty book could be a work of art sitting on someone's bookshelf.

Puppy

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Aug 21, 2017
new york
in thinking about what i really want in the future i realized that one of things i would really want to have in my life is cows/beef. 20+ years ago it was something i was heavily involved in and tho i have since left it far behind it is something i want to go back to. someday.
*note - have finally identified the white calf in pic as a white galloway.

i dont know if cattle can ever really fall into 'fastlane' however i do think i could produce a solid income providing value doing something i enjoy, and thats fastlane enough for me. it will be years, prob a decade before im able to go down that path. i would still like to be able to have a loose idea of how i can shape it as part of my future.

some things i have considered.
  1. working with mini breeds/lesser known breeds
  2. education on different types of beef
  3. organic, grass fed, hormone free, ethicly raised beef
  4. changing the way consumers buy beef (number one, STOP buying from the grocery store!)
im not sure where i could take this just yet and since its a far future project i dont want to spend too much time on it right now. i know the beef landscape has changed dramaticaly in the last 20 years and will change more in the next 10. so i guess this is more of a curiosity at this point than anything but im hoping maybe some of you will weigh in on whats lacking in the industry, what changes might be in store, or of possible directions i could look into.

all of those 4 points are being covered in various ways currently.
there are a number of mini breeders and it looks to be a growing segment in the cattle market. i have come across a fair amount of blogs that focus on the types of beef (and god knows writing is NOT my strong point), there is a strong demand for #3 already. i think it is leading to change in the way consumers buy beef but this area still needs a lot of work.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.