The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

This simple rule of success from Jeff Bezos can change your life

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

S.Y.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 4, 2017
Canada
I stumbled upon an interview of Bezos on Youtube earlier today and I allowed myself to watch it.

During the interview he said something interesting:
...when somebody congratulates me/Amazon for a good quarter... I say thank you. But what am thinking to myself - those quarterly results were actually pretty much fully baked about three years ago. And so today, I'm working on a quarter that is going to happen in 2020 [3 years from interview date]... Not next quarter. Next quarter for all practical purposes is done already. And it's probably been done for a couple of years. And if you start to think that way, it changes how you spend your time, how you plan where you put your energy

It was a snippet from the actual interview. What he was doing was advising people to do a very unnatural thing: to think long term.

But it resonated with me. How we feel right now physically/mentally/emotionally and the things that are happening in our lives are results of some actions we took a week/a month/3 months ago.

As I was thinking about it and looking back to see how true it is in my life ( taking a much shorter timeframe), it connected to another rule I read in Fanatical Prospecting (by Jeb Blount):
The 30-Day Rule: the prospecting you do in this 30-day period will pay off for the next 90 days

Wow.

I have incorporated mobility training and focused more on my flexibility 2 weeks ago. And that is paying off this week. My workout are much better.
I have started waking up at 4 to work on my projects before going to work. Looking at it now, I have made more progress than I did in the few weeks before that.
I have started focusing on my relationships a bit more 2 weeks ago. And I can feel the results this week.

In my case, it seems that the action I am taking in a 7-day period pay off for the next 2 weeks (and counting).

I turn the table to you:
  • If there is something not going well right now, look back at your actions 2 weeks, 1 month, 3 months... ago
    • What were you doing?
    • What can you change now and going forward?
  • Look at your actions right now. A month from today:
    • will you reap positive or negative benefits?
    • What can you change, what can you do differently to get better results?
For those who need accountability, @458 has a thread here.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

flower_girl

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jul 9, 2019
I really like what you're saying here - thank you.

I am a farmer/gardener and have a small seed company. I think it provides another good example of what you're saying. We have to save the seeds over the summer and autumn or there will be nothing to plant in the spring or to sell. We have to keep the cycle going and that means looking ahead, sometimes quite a long way ahead.

That means being really organized, knowledgeable and on your game. It means learning from your failures and seeing them not really as mistakes but lessons. Sometimes it means taking a risk, for example planting seeds earlier than they really should be planted (when maybe there will still be a frost which will kill frost sensitive plants for example) but I find most of the time you get away with it. And what's the worst that can happen? Maybe you lose a little seed. On the other hand maybe you gain a lot of time.

I'm a long time admirer of the late Jim Rohn and have listened to him over the years many times over. He says most people face the future with trepidation because they don't have it well planned. That's always a good lesson to remember.

Brian Suh

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
May 19, 2018
I really like what you're saying here - thank you.

I am a farmer/gardener and have a small seed company. I think it provides another good example of what you're saying. We have to save the seeds over the summer and autumn or there will be nothing to plant in the spring or to sell. We have to keep the cycle going and that means looking ahead, sometimes quite a long way ahead.

That means being really organized, knowledgeable and on your game. It means learning from your failures and seeing them not really as mistakes but lessons. Sometimes it means taking a risk, for example planting seeds earlier than they really should be planted (when maybe there will still be a frost which will kill frost sensitive plants for example) but I find most of the time you get away with it. And what's the worst that can happen? Maybe you lose a little seed. On the other hand maybe you gain a lot of time.

I'm a long time admirer of the late Jim Rohn and have listened to him over the years many times over. He says most people face the future with trepidation because they don't have it well planned. That's always a good lesson to remember.
Agree but don’t let it take you away from enjoying the moment. If you can balance between TRULY living in the moment while creating the future you’ve always dreamed with security you’ve won life.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.