The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

This is INSANITY!

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I'm taking it more at my own pace instead of trying to keep up with Shaun T. The very first time I did the fit test last year, I had to stop because I started to feel sick. This time around, I take breaks when I need them and then I jump back in when I'm ready.
Exactly my situation. I tried it months ago and was dead after week one.

This time I am taking it slowly and still is a challenge.

Now the problem has been making sure I get to it as many times as possible. Always something seems to show up and screw with the planned activities, so it is a challenge. Sometime I skip it cause I don't seem to find the time to do it.

My question to you Andviv, is what are your plans after you complete the program? Will you restart it?
No clue yet... I first need to finish it before I even worry about that.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I just came back from vacations. Gained a lot of weight cause I ate like a pig. Will restart my routine probably tomorrow.

Last edited:

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Robert, that is pretty cool. How do you feel? Do you notice any positive changes? levels of energy? hunger?

I am down with a flu so I have not done anything since coming back from vacations. I know I am going to 'pay' for it when I resume and I will probably just start again from week 1 routine as I stopped now for more than three weeks. I do miss it as I notice the difference.

Roberteking78

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Nov 16, 2012
Feel pretty good. Muscles are toned and my energy and flexibility are through the roof.

Working out while shaking off a flu is difficult. Hope you get through it all without a ton of trouble.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Working out while shaking off a flu is difficult. Hope you get through it all without a ton of trouble.
Thanks. Taking it easy this week. I won't kid myself... the holidays beat me, lol.

Getting back to it when I get back to my regular schedule.

tchandy

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Aug 16, 2007
Kansas, for now
Not to be a buzz kill, but you guys would be much better off just getting on a solid lifting routine and watching your nutrition closely. May not be as exciting, but you'll see results MUCH faster and are MUCH less likely to get injured.

I've only been lifting for a year 5x/week and I've gotten some pretty insane results. I also (luckily :thumbsup:) haven't suffered any injuries. Check out leangains.com, seriously changed my life.

That's great your on a good routine. I used to do the same and then changed it up every so often from 3 to 5 to 6 days a week lifting. The younger you are, your body responds a lot quicker and recovers just as fast. The older you get, your body changes, slows down for recovery days, more injury prone, etc. My two cents. :)

tchandy

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Aug 16, 2007
Kansas, for now
I just completed the first day if Insanity.

OMG this was just the fitness test. I almost puked. Tomorrow will be interesting.

Who else has done it?

I did it this past summer while traveling through five states when I moved and completed it in late August. I may have missed one workout but made up for it with a double workout one day. On a few off days I added the ab workout routine or the P90X ab routine (16 minutes long).

It was brutal the first week and then brutal when week six started (part 2). Also the final weeks of Insanity you just want to quit since it really takes a pounding on your body.

I normally prefer working out at the gym so didn't continue with Insanity. I do pop in a DVD every once in a while.

Keep going.

Tom

Last edited:

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
On a few off days I added the ab workout routine or the P90X ab routine (16 minutes long).
I've done this too. Those are probably the longest 16 minutes of my life, especially when you do that after completing 45 minutes of an Insanity routine. I still can't do some of the abs exercises correctly.

Also the final weeks of Insanity you just want to quit since it really takes a pounding on your body.
You are correct about this. The first week was easier as my body was not that sore. The second week things got nastier as I could barely keep up. I learned my lesson and I try now to go at a slower pace and not even attempt to match the instructor's speed. I am not 20 anymore and I do notice the toll it takes on my body.

I normally prefer working out at the gym so didn't continue with Insanity.
Yesterday I stopped by my gym and canceled my membership. This is the time of the year when the resolutions people fill the place so I won't be there anyway, and I am doing more stuff at home, so paying for it did not make sense anymore.

JSY

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Dec 23, 2012
Not to be a buzz kill, but you guys would be much better off just getting on a solid lifting routine and watching your nutrition closely. May not be as exciting, but you'll see results MUCH faster and are MUCH less likely to get injured.

I've only been lifting for a year 5x/week and I've gotten some pretty insane results. I also (luckily ) haven't suffered any injuries. Check out leangains.com, seriously changed my life.

I think you would be surprised just how big of a transformation P90X can create. I've gained 15lbs+ while dropping BF% in a little less than 5months. Also take a look at wayne wyatt's original 90day transformation. It's pretty crazy how much strength can be gained in 90days considering it consists of about 70% body weight exercises. And I totally agree about nutrition. I've been following the lean gains protocol for a little over a month and I really like it.

I don't dispute that a well designed lifting routine is more effective than P90X at adding mass. But P90X is kind of built on the goal of gaining functional fitness which is why there is lots of synergistic exercises and not much spot training. Many people including myself like it because we don't have to travel back and forth from the gym everyday, pay a monthly fee, find / build a routine that fits our goals, and teach ourselves about nutrition (although learning more and more about nutrition is key and I really enjoy it, but the point is that all of Beachbody's programs come with a nutrition guide so that people at least have a great starting place and some basic knowledge). I know a another pro of P90X, Insanity, etc is being able to exercise in private that way there isn't any pressure. You can learn the correct movements and not be afraid the mess up.

nzerinto

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Aug 1, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Is P90x and Insanity mostly for people who are (somewhat) fit, or can any level of fitness do it? I keep hearing about it, and it sounds like a great challenge to do (well, apart from the bit about feeling like puking), except I'm about as fit as a doorknob right now...

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
or can any level of fitness do it?
When I started I was over 25% body fat, more than 15 pounds over the ideal weight (I don't agree with that 'ideal weight' thing, but hey, that is where I started).
I was trying to catch up my breath after taking the stairs.
I started playing soccer again and had to ask for a sub 7 minutes into the match cause I was out of breath.

So, all in all, I started from a bad shape.

My biggest mistake?

Tried to go hard from the beginning.

If I were to start again, I would still do the whole thing but will work at a more reasonable pace.

See, by going all out from the get go I got tired too quickly and my body took a beating.

You can start slower and week after week you will improve. The best part was, in my case, I noticed the change by the end of week 1.

Of course I am not a physician, don't play one on TV, and did not sleep in a make-me-starter hotel last night, so maybe it is time to have a checkup with your doctor anyway, no?

JSY

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Dec 23, 2012
Is P90x and Insanity mostly for people who are (somewhat) fit, or can any level of fitness do it? I keep hearing about it, and it sounds like a great challenge to do (well, apart from the bit about feeling like puking), except I'm about as fit as a doorknob right now...
The original idea for the program (P90X) was indeed for people who were already moderately fit. However people have defied this over and over again. Richard Neil began doing P90X at 426lbs and 18 months later he was at 184lbs. The reason really unfit people can succeed with P90X is because there are modifications for nearly every single exercise that are less challenging but still make sure that you are working hard.

If you feel like P90X still might be too intense or you don't have enough time every day to commit to doing it there are lots of alternatives. There is 10 minute trainer (kind of self explanatory, just a 10 minute circuit routine every day), Power Half Hour (30mins), Power 90 (the precursor to P90X, quite similar but just less intense).

I totally agree with andviv in that you have to start at a reasonable intensity level, you really don't want to kill yourself on day 1.

If this is something you would really like to commit to I'd be glad to help you out along the way. Feel free to contact me through PM or email: josh@lastingmotivation.com

deepestblue

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Jun 11, 2011
Arizona
Cool. On the topic of fitness I had the mild revelation today to type into the big G, "youtube exercise routines" :)

nzerinto

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Aug 1, 2012
Toronto, Canada
When I started I was over 25% body fat, more than 15 pounds over the ideal weight (I don't agree with that 'ideal weight' thing, but hey, that is where I started).
I was trying to catch up my breath after taking the stairs.
I started playing soccer again and had to ask for a sub 7 minutes into the match cause I was out of breath.

So, all in all, I started from a bad shape.

My biggest mistake?

Tried to go hard from the beginning.

If I were to start again, I would still do the whole thing but will work at a more reasonable pace.

See, by going all out from the get go I got tired too quickly and my body took a beating.

You can start slower and week after week you will improve. The best part was, in my case, I noticed the change by the end of week 1.

Of course I am not a physician, don't play one on TV, and did not sleep in a make-me-starter hotel last night, so maybe it is time to have a checkup with your doctor anyway, no?

Cool, thanks for the insight Andviv, glad to know I'm not the only one who isn't (or should I say "wasn't"!) super fit on this forum!

nzerinto

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Aug 1, 2012
Toronto, Canada
If this is something you would really like to commit to I'd be glad to help you out along the way. Feel free to contact me through PM or email: josh@lastingmotivation.com

Thanks, may take you up on the offer, although wont be anytime soon, need to clear other commitments first.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Okay, time to come back to the routine after a vacation trip and the holidays.

I've started again from scratch. These are the numbers compared to the first time I did the test:

Nov 19-Jan 7

Exercise = BEFORE -- AFTER
1. Switch Kicks = 55 -- 100
2. Power Jacks = 40 -- 40
3. Power knees = 60 -- 60
4. Power jumps = 30 -- 20 -went down here
5. Globe jumps = 5 rotations (20 jumps) -- 5
6. Suicide jumps = 10 - 10
7. Push up jacks = 0 --25
8. Low Plank oblique = 33 -- 40

So going back to the routine. Will continue tracking my numbers as I go.

Last edited:

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Well, it is official. I am SORE.

Ouch.

I am glad I can work out and see the results.

I still get nights where I can't do my routine cause I may need to work late or some other stuff happens, and then it gets late. Problem is, if I workout late then it takes me forever to fall sleep and the next day my productivity goes off a lot.

Last Tuesday night I had to choose and decided to work late to complete a project so I did not workout. I know I will pay for it tonight.

Anybody else moving along with their routines?

G

Guest12120

Anybody else moving along with their routines?
I am. However my routine can't be compared to Insanity. I have a push up routine every other day and an intense cardio routine every other day as well (17 minutes). I decide on easy routine to gradually build strength and endurance before I move to something more advanced. I tried hard core routines before and I ended up either injured or discouraged, so I decided to take it easy this time and stick to the plan. So far, so good :)

This goes along with some small by significant diet changes:
Bulletproof coffee for breakfast » Upgraded
No sodas,
No fries (unless baked)
No fast food pizza
Green tea every day (no sugar)

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Yesterday I skipped the Insanity routine (was short on time) so I did a kettle bell routine instead. It was shorter and made me sweat. I worked out with a 20 lbs bell and followed a 'simple' routine, and I can tell you, I am sore big time in places where I did not know there was a chance to feel pain.

Tonight will go easy on the Insanity routine as my soccer match tomorrow is at noon on Saturday instead of at night as usual.

Omer

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Jul 28, 2012
Chicago, USA
Im glad you are starting it, great program. I did it for a month and lost ~8lb. The bad part is though that I didnt eat right at all, but still managed to lose that much weight. I stopped because my goal changed to getting bigger. Insanity is probably the fast and best way to lose weight and become toned. Extremely hard but way worth it. Just do what you can and slowly you'll be able to keep up with them, good luck!

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Thank Omer. My original goal is to be fit. I play soccer on Saturdays and before I started the program I was completely out of air after a few minutes into the game. After starting this routine, although inconsistently, I am in way better shape than before.

Becoming toned is not a bad idea either, but that was not my first goal when I started. If I happen to end up with a visible 6-pack, great, but that is not the main goal at this point.

After you changed your goal to become bigger, what did you decide to do? Any specific routine? (just curious)

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
My first week of working out is almost over (ends tomorrow, then Sunday is cheat day which mean eating EVERYTHING lol)

It's been pretty tough but not unmanageable by any means. I'm already feeling better throughout the day, waking up earlier, getting more done, feeling more 'up' instead of down, etc. No real GI problems (my body is adjusting to the new diet so there's some irregularity), no feeling sluggish or 'crashed'. My longest sleep time thusfar has been a little less than 10 hours, so I'm sleeping less.

Waiting for tomorrow to measure progress.

This week: missed two days in the middle because I was really wiped from the previous two workouts, especially chest (might have had an injury but it's all better now!) I'll try not to do this again, but F*ckups are inevitable and don't tend to slow progress too much. Fitness is a game of months, not days.

jrodriguez90

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Nov 28, 2012
Colombia
well i started a some weeks ago, but due to a trip i had to cancel.

So I started again this week, it is awesome.

switch kicks 120
powejacks 50
power knees 70
power jumps 35
globe jumps 10
suicide jumps 11
push up jacks 25
low plank oblique 60

eating according to the nutrition guide
for the sore = ibuprofen

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
well i started a some weeks ago, but due to a trip i had to cancel.

switch kicks 120
powejacks 50
power knees 70
power jumps 35
globe jumps 10
suicide jumps 11
push up jacks 25
low plank oblique 60

eating according to the nutrition guide
for the sore = ibuprofen

That's some high intensity stuff, man. No wonder you need ibus to keep moving throughout the day...

Omer

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Jul 28, 2012
Chicago, USA
Thank Omer. My original goal is to be fit. I play soccer on Saturdays and before I started the program I was completely out of air after a few minutes into the game. After starting this routine, although inconsistently, I am in way better shape than before.

Becoming toned is not a bad idea either, but that was not my first goal when I started. If I happen to end up with a visible 6-pack, great, but that is not the main goal at this point.

After you changed your goal to become bigger, what did you decide to do? Any specific routine? (just curious)

If you keep up regular diet and insanity I have no doubt you will easily start to show abs in a month or so. With insanity the thing is that you lose muscle mass that is needed for heavy lifting. But get more of a athletic build of a basketball player or soccer player etc. The people in the video already have been building muscle and mass for a long time they are there just to give the viewer an example of what they can become. Since I have been lifting for mass I have been using the routine I will link below, its for pure mass. I started off benching ~135lb in a month and a half or less I was benching ~205lb. Also for squats and legs I was at around 170lb and now Im at 250lb squats. You get the idea that lifting for mass is way different, low reps but heavy weights. My goal is to bench around ~250lb and then start toning from there, since I will be able to lift that much it will be easier to do 4 sets of 200lb at 10 reps. And just build from there.

I love this routine because I can basically eat alot without caring much for calorie intake, I am not that good on diets lol. See it as a sculpture artist. You start of with a block of stone (mass building) and when you get to your desired lifting numbers you start to tone, basically chiseling down body parts.

4 Day Power Muscle Burn Workout Split | Muscle & Strength

When you get used to the lifting routine you can add your own mix to it, dont worry too much about doing everything exactly how other people do it find what is best for you and what results you want. Thats what I have learned from working out, people are dead set on following routines to a T but forget to have fun and kill themselves in the process.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC

switch kicks 120
powejacks 50
power knees 70
power jumps 35
globe jumps 10
suicide jumps 11
push up jacks 25
low plank oblique 60
Wow, you probably have strong legs and abs. Those are pretty good numbers.

With insanity the thing is that you lose muscle mass that is needed for heavy lifting. But get more of a athletic build of a basketball player or soccer player etc.
Yes, that was exactly my thinking when I decided to go for it.

I love this routine because I can basically eat alot without caring much for calorie intake, I am not that good on diets lol. See it as a sculpture artist. You start of with a block of stone (mass building) and when you get to your desired lifting numbers you start to tone, basically chiseling down body parts.
Interesting perspective, maybe your approach produces more interesting results. Once you grow, what is your plan to chiseling down?

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
OK, summary from the weekend.

Saturday we had great weather and I played my regular soccer match. I confess, I got tired sooner than expected, which is an indication that missing a couple of workouts does make a difference. Sunday was off and I can tell I really needed the break. It was good to go easy one day, as planned.

This week should be more 'normal' so I should be OK with Monday and Tuesday, will probably skip Wednesday (as usual as I have a family activity on Wednesday nights) and will go hard again on Thursday and Friday, play on Saturday, and be off on Sunday.

When I was in my 20s I recall being sore the next day and that was pretty much it. Now I am even more sore on the second day after a hard workout so by the end of week I am basically walking dead. I will probably regulate a little and will not go 100% all days, at least until I get in better shape.

I definitely like doing this.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Plyometric Cardio Circuit. Done. Please shoot me. The end.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.