The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona
I stayed recently in the Hotel New Yorker in Manhatten where Tesla lived out his last few years (decade?)

The hotel was a sh*thole now, and maybe then. I think he actually died there, but was living there for maybe nothing for years. Supposedly during his death his research papers disappeared, including an invention he created called a Death Ray that was capable (at the time, in the 1950's?) of shooting a laser beam upwards of several hundred miles.

There's a tribute in the bottom floor of the hotel to him. Crazy interesting and I think Tesla was likely as crazy (and smart) as Elon Musk.

And down the rabbit hole I go.

What Ever Happened To Nikola Tesla's "Death Ray"?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona
So what separates a Nikola Tesla from a Bill Gates? Or the guys building the railroad? The guy no doubt had some inner conflicts, but most people do.

Or another way to put it, why is it that everybody seemingly has great ideas but so few actually execute to the full extent? Laziness? Lacking a definiteness of purpose?

Some people accomplish the seemingly impossible while most say “I have a good idea but I can’t imagine trying to make it come to life” @Kak @Vigilante if you guys are still around we’d love to hear your thoughts

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
So what separates a Nikola Tesla from a Bill Gates? Or the guys building the railroad? The guy no doubt had some inner conflicts, but most people do.

Or another way to put it, why is it that everybody seemingly has great ideas but so few actually execute to the full extent? Laziness? Lacking a definiteness of purpose?

Some people accomplish the seemingly impossible while most say “I have a good idea but I can’t imagine trying to make it come to life” @Kak @Vigilante if you guys are still around we’d love to hear your thoughts

Yes this is a good question with an easy answer.

Go back to the “buts” thing.
I have a great idea, but...
This would change the world, but...
I have tons of ideas, but...

LEADERSHIP dethrones the but.

Last edited:

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
And actually, since you didn’t watch the video, you don’t know what it was. It wasn’t disputing what you said at all, it was adding nuance.

The research found that for most tasks, yes pay increased performance. But for certain (more Artistic or creative endeavors,) a rise in payment actually harmed their productivity.

I've worked with some of the most capable and brilliant people in the world. Yes, there are certainly people that "live" their work. They are so absorbed into their work completely, they need a way to "make a dent in the world" as your posted video said. And there are people that are opposite of that - they just put in their time and work is only what they do in order to have an enjoyable and fulfilling life. Most people are in between. They ARE looking for promotions which would mean an increase in pay. If they can't get it, they will be looking at lateral moves within their field. It is a driving force for most people, contrary to what the esteemed pseudo intellectuals in that video put forth. It is also important to note that they prefaced their research with "when" money is not a major concern, etc. Of course there's a lot of truth in that. If someone is making 6 digits a year, they are going to have a vastly different outlook on life compared to someone living paycheck to paycheck. There is nothing profound in this video or their research. This video is a prime example of the difference between those that do and those that can't. The ones that can't study the ones that do, and then do a study on it.

My philosophy is “understand the world as accurately as possible so that you make the most accurate decisions possible”..

Steer towards a career in academia or politics. In the world of business, if you align yourself with the message in this video you will expect "your people" to act like the innovators at Apple did - they had food provided for them - they had resources - and they even slept in their offices. Workaholics engulfed in their work. Every company's dream! There are employees like that out there that thrive on trying to change the world. But most people have - wait for it - a life. Nobody needs a boss or a supervisor that thinks in any remote way that they understand the world. But, surprisingly, there are a lot of people that manage things that do think that way. Egos the size of small moons. And they actually believe that they are experts. Nobody needs a boss - but everybody needs a leader (well not everybody - eventually one can evolve to be the leader of the whole division/department/company). Of course, only time will reveal what that really means to you. I could make a ten minute video on that topic, and you might think - okay, now I know that TOO, and on you go, adding that to your repertoire of knowledge. Too bad it doesn't work that way. Wisdom comes from experience. If it were easy, all anyone would have to do is read a few books, and wah lah - we have a newly minted boss that now understands the world. See "Dilbert" for additional insight on that. Anyone can say it, but so few understand it, and fewer still are capable of doing it.

These are important ideas that help us make decisions. I’d you don’t find the information I share to be helpful or the insights I share to be valuable, you can block me. Matter of fact, I encourage that.

But for the rest of us, this is stuff I wish someone had shared that with me years ago.

Spoken like a true middle manager.

It would be interesting to do a study of why people quit their jobs. Surprisingly, money is not the prime motivating factor. Micro managing with an overbearing supervisor that thinks they understand the world would be a much more likely contributing factor. I have seen many micro managing managers fired. And they never saw it coming. Others sure did, and often wondered why it took "so long." They are far more dangerous to the health of an organization than under-performing employees ever will be. An effective (key word there) supportive (another key word) leader (key concept there) is what every company needs. But that's another book unto itself.

So much to learn. So very far to go.

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona

Go back to the “buts” thing. I have a great idea, but... This would change the world, but... I have tons of ideas, but...

100% agree and Tesla no doubt was lacking in this area. Here’s my follow-up as I know a lot of forum users are solo entrepreneurs or young and may not have ever held a job which put them in a leadership role...how would you suggest they develop leadership skills? Books will get you a decent head start but what else? Try to find a mentor? Try to get a job in a managerial role?

SquatchMan

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
383%
Dec 27, 2016
Nowhere
Lessons From Tesla (the Man, Not the Car) Lessons From Tesla (the Man, Not the Car)

As much as I LOVE the agg stuff, back on point. Here is a story of Nikoli Tesla. The inventor of AC power. The power type we use today. It was BETTER than DC. It traveled longer distances. It was more efficient and powerful.

So why did he die penniless? Why don't we hear about him alongside of the likes of JD Rockefeller and Andrew Carnegie? Because he was a small thinker. He was UNDERFUNDED and ran out of resources in a battle with well funded Edison and JP Morgan..

From the article: ‘By his own admission, Tesla “suffered a complete collapse” when he ran out of resources.’

Not only did he not get wealthy... He didn't even make a good living.

The WSJ describes it as a LONE WOLF BEHAVIOR. Hmmm, sound familiar? Onepreneurs take note.

Resources breed success.

He couldn't even pay for his hotel. He'd just get kicked out after not paying the bills and find a new one.

---

It's a damn shame he was an awful businessman because he definitely thought big with his inventions/ideas...

Wireless electricity (in the early 1900s!!). Utilizing AC power. Death ray. Time travel.

We'd probably have a colony on Mars if Nikola Tesla had not gone on his own, but types like him seem to always face a similar fate.

Elon Musk is very unique in that sense. Has these futuristic type ideas AND the business acumen to follow through with those ideas.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
You know, I really just want to use Tesla as a martyr because we talk about ‘providing value’ on this forum quite a bit.

Nikola Tesla provided more value than you could shake a stick at. Jesus provided a ton of value. Mother Theresa, Mahatma Gandhi.

All provided more value than we could imagine.

Barely had a dime to show for it.

So it really does show the importance of marketing or at the very least timing up with the right people who are profit minded. Not everyone has a knack for business. If that’s the case, team up with someone who does. We can’t all wear every hat.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
I've worked with some of the most capable and brilliant people in the world. Yes, there are certainly people that "live" their work. They are so absorbed into their work completely, they need a way to "make a dent in the world" as your posted video said. And there are people that are opposite of that - they just put in their time and work is only what they do in order to have an enjoyable and fulfilling life. Most people are in between. They ARE looking for promotions which would mean an increase in pay. If they can't get it, they will be looking at lateral moves within their field. It is a driving force for most people, contrary to what the esteemed pseudo intellectuals in that video put forth. It is also important to note that they prefaced their research with "when" money is not a major concern, etc. Of course there's a lot of truth in that. If someone is making 6 digits a year, they are going to have a vastly different outlook on life compared to someone living paycheck to paycheck. There is nothing profound in this video or their research. This video is a prime example of the difference between those that do and those that can't. The ones that can't study the ones that do, and then do a study on it.

Steer towards a career in academia or politics. In the world of business, if you align yourself with the message in this video you will expect "your people" to act like the innovators at Apple did - they had food provided for them - they had resources - and they even slept in their offices. Workaholics engulfed in their work. Every company's dream! There are employees like that out there that thrive on trying to change the world. But most people have - wait for it - a life. Nobody needs a boss or a supervisor that thinks in any remote way that they understand the world. But, surprisingly, there are a lot of people that manage things that do think that way. Egos the size of small moons. And they actually believe that they are experts. Nobody needs a boss - but everybody needs a leader (well not everybody - eventually one can evolve to be the leader of the whole division/department/company). Of course, only time will reveal what that really means to you. I could make a ten minute video on that topic, and you might think - okay, now I know that TOO, and on you go, adding that to your repertoire of knowledge. Too bad it doesn't work that way. Wisdom comes from experience. If it were easy, all anyone would have to do is read a few books, and wah lah - we have a newly minted boss that now understands the world. See "Dilbert" for additional insight on that. Anyone can say it, but so few understand it, and fewer still are capable of doing it.

Spoken like a true middle manager.

It would be interesting to do a study of why people quit their jobs. Surprisingly, money is not the prime motivating factor. Micro managing with an overbearing supervisor that thinks they understand the world would be a much more likely contributing factor. I have seen many micro managing managers fired. And they never saw it coming. Others sure did, and often wondered why it took "so long." They are far more dangerous to the health of an organization than under-performing employees ever will be. An effective (key word there) supportive (another key word) leader (key concept there) is what every company needs. But that's another book unto itself.

So much to learn. So very far to go.

I’m trying to piece together all this text and make sure I have the meaning correct but I think you’re misunderstanding the purpose of learning / research. “There are those who do and there are those who study who do” ... I mean, it’s not one or the other. Most successful people read constantly. Almost all successful people are highly educated. It can be dangerous territory to start implying that people should stop learning and researching things.

Creating this false binary dichotomy where there are only ‘studies or doers’ is disingenuous at best, dangerous at worst. Becasue those who are studying things ARE the ones doing things. Let’s take a surgeon. Should he just ‘do.’ No, you learn before you can do, that way you learn from the mistakes and successes of those before you. I don’t think anyone’s suggesting you stop ‘doing’ things.

Also, while on this note... you know the stuff about Entrepreneurs not needing college? Well actually, statistically Entrepreneurs are much more successful with at least 4 years of college under their belt. If you have under 4 years you’re much more likely to fail.

“There are hundreds of stories about entrepreneurs like J. R. Simplot, the inventor of the frozen French fry, who quit school at age 14 to start a company, which grew into a $3-billion business. These stories have led to the myth that education doesn’t help you become a successful entrepreneur and that it may even hinder your efforts.
Don’t be deluded by this myth. People with little education who become successful entrepreneurs are few and far between. If you want to become a successful entrepreneur, your odds are much better if you graduate from high school and go on to college. Many studies show that better educated entrepreneurs have greater access to external capital, lower business failure rates, greater business sales and employment growth, and more profitable ventures.24 In fact, the data show that the average start-up founded by a college graduate has 25 percent greater sales than the average start-up founded by a high school dropout, and the average start-up founded by a person with a graduate degree has 40 percent greater sales than the average start-up founded by a college graduate.25”
The Illusions of Entrepreneurship

On the survival prospects of men's and women's new business ventures - ScienceDirect

People don’t study what works in order to just jack off with the information, they do so so they can do things better. Like the way Google uses Analytics in order to make better decisions. Or all companies are using Data Analytics and Doing Studies to make better companies.

How Evidence-Based Management Pays Off

This is how smart companies and smart people are doing these things these days. EVERY person has an important role in the cogs of the machines. Downplaying those who come up with great research around success is the same as the nerds who think that Woz was more important than Jobs or that Tesla was more important than Edison. Google is actually famous for using evidence-based principles in it’s company.

CQ Net Blog: Evidence based and agile learning in teams | The benefits of evidence-based management in a nutshell

And these concepts apply to entrepreneurship as a whole.

I may have misunderstood your post though.

Micro managing with an overbearing supervisor that thinks they understand the world would be a much more likely contributing factor. I have seen many micro managing managers fired.

Yea, agreed. The video gets into that as well when they speak about Autonomy.

Last edited:

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
100% agree and Tesla no doubt was lacking in this area. Here’s my follow-up as I know a lot of forum users are solo entrepreneurs or young and may not have ever held a job which put them in a leadership role...how would you suggest they develop leadership skills? Books will get you a decent head start but what else? Try to find a mentor? Try to get a job in a managerial role?

This, of course, is a super heavy subject. But it is so in tuned to what I think about, that I just have to delve into it. It really deserves a book on it, but let's go ahead here anyway ~

I entered a field as a newcomer, and it was a pretty complex field: video production. In very short order I dominated that business and enjoyed a reputation that created a lot of referral business. My calendar filled to capacity very quickly. I had to turn work away. But rather than get into the details of that, let's look at HOW I got to that point, and HOW I was able to surpass the players that were there before me.

I mastered the technical aspects of my work - which everyone has to do at some point. No problem. I wasn't better at that than my competitors in that regard. But I figured out what my customers wanted and how to market to them. Those processes were amazingly simple! At that time, the newspaper was the main means of advertising. I was surprised to see that my competitors advertised very little. Once I had a good portfolio, I invested in my business by advertising. The results were exponential, in that the more advertising (promotion) I did, the more business I got - and the more business I got, the more referrals I got. And I didn't stay static - I added more and better features, for which I could charge higher prices. Oh, but we all know that today right? Um, no. I have several business ventures that I am preparing to enter established markets with right now. I will not be a bit player for long. My job is to navigate through the channels to find success. I'm not better than my competitors, and my competitors are not stupid. I give them a lot of credit, and am very respectful of them. But I will outmaneuver them nonetheless. @Kak referenced the TV show "The Profit" one time recently. If you want to really learn about business, that show is REQUIRED viewing. He goes into failing business ventures and turns them around. He knows business and pity the fool that goes up against him.

So - let's pause here. You come to me and ask me HOW to do all of that, essentially? You are seeing the end result. There were no mentors, so I just did it. I might have been right, and I know I was wrong sometimes. My customers clearly emerged and showed me what they wanted by their marketing choices. I expanded in that direction and was more successful. Nobody could tell me what I learned before I discovered it - I had to learn it by doing it. I eventually got to the point where I teamed up with one of the most renowned photographers in the biz and he GAVE me his video side of the business. He clearly saw that, together, we were unbeatable, and we could help each other out so much by working as a team, than as competition - which is exactly what happened.

I built on that over the years, doing bigger and better things - but the concept has always been the same. Here is my method. You might be amazed at how simple it is.

First I identify a market. I never "invent" a market. There are always players when I enter the market. I'm not afraid of competition, in fact I'm glad they prove that market share is there. Then I study what they offer and how I might improve on that - or maybe not improve, but specialize. I might not be able to go head to head with them, but I might be able to capitalize on a "piece" of what they are doing. Then I master the technical aspects of whatever that is. If I can't do it, I find someone that can (web design, etc.) I start with a dummies book, then a middle book that is more advanced, then an all in one book that encompasses everything. "The missing manual" series of books come out with great examples of all inclusive books. Now, in less than a month, I can master something. Now I have to divide and conquer. Off to war.

I don't have to destroy my competition. I don't have to own the market. I want to own the high end of the market only. I want the top 20% of the customers. That's where the profit is. The 80/20 rule is amazing in so many ways. 80% of your profits will come from 20% of your customers. 20% of the players in any market have 80% of the customers. So on and so on...

The way I cut my way into the market is the subject of the next thread. You don't "need" a mentor. Surprised? You should read how Mark Cuban got fired from a job he was very successful at, and what he did next. In the process of his "next" move, he put his prior boss out. of. business. Ow! Now he's a billionaire. He used the same strategy, and has since many times again...

We will really have to continue this discussion over some drinks ~ and I'm sure some here can give first hand accounts of how they broke through without a mentor.

Great discussion!

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Also, while on this note... you know the stuff about Entrepreneurs not needing college? Well actually, statistically Entrepreneurs are much more successful with at least 4 years of college under their belt. If you have under 4 years you’re much more likely to fail.

True entrepreneurs don't need the confidence that 4 long years gives them. Many don't need the knowledge either. Not to say that the knowledge isn't valuable. I have taken several Youtube courses, if you want to call them that, this week, and my knowledge has been brought up to speed super fast.

I was in college, but did not finish. It was way too slow for me. I bought the books and read them myself. I didn't need anyone telling me what I had already read and discussing it. If someone can't comprehend the textbook, they should not be in the class to start with.

We've all seen the list of the heroes that became leaders in their fields, so I won't repeat them here. But since you mentioned Jobs a few times already - what he knew and did came much more from him than from college. He should have been the one teaching the teachers. When Gates was at Harvard he wasn't even studying computer science or math - he was studying law. How could he be so smart about something he never went to college for? That's impossible!

College is wayyy overrated, especially in this day and age. Udemy and like methods of delivery are the future.

Last edited:

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
I was in college, but did not finish. It was way too slow for me. I bought the books and read them myself. I didn't need anyone telling me what I had already read and discussing it. If someone can't comprehend the textbook, they should not be in the class to start with.
I did the same.

I’m not necessarily disagreeing, but statistically they have a better chance.

But also correlation ≠ causation. In other words, the same types of people who are likely to succeed at college could be the same types of people who are likely to succeed at entrepreneurship.

The point is, I don’t know if it’s fair to minimize anyones work or contributions. It’s like that quote “Those who can’t, teach” which is total bullshit and totally insulting to teachers and the value they provide. Same with researchers and PhDs who do studies.

Honestly I just like entrepreneurship for the pay. Eventually I’m just gonna cash out, get a PhD and become a researcher. Then just do everything possible to add to the collective consciousness of knowledge we have. If AI doesn't beat me to it lol.

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona
This, of course, is a super heavy subject. But it is so in tuned to what I think about, that I just have to delve into it. It really deserves a book on it, but let's go ahead here anyway ~

GREAT post my friend. Definitely a heavy subject which no doubt is why @Kak began this thread amongst the many action faking/superficial ones that unfortunately found their way into the forum.

There were no mentors, so I just did it.

This is something that should be required reading for all the people who can’t “find their way”. Nobody will show you the way, find it yourself.

and I'm sure some here can give first hand accounts of how they broke through without a mentor.

Well, you just did so there’s one, and thank you again for sharing. Excited to hear Kak’s thoughts and process on going from zero to leader.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

Funny you say that. ;)

First we need to define leadership and to define leadership we need to start by addressing what it isn’t... a position. Also, you can follow this down the deepest rabbit hole ever, so I will keep it simple. I’m also I am still in the process of unpacking my experiences and beliefs on this.

For now, I would argue there are two kinds of leadership...
Micro level- within or relating to your organization
Macro level- life in general being a leader, someone people respect and believe in.

I’ll address micro.

I’ve posted on a lot of this, but I would define my personal brand leadership as the willingness to find, motivate and then allocate the necessary resources to create progress. The more aggressive you get in this pursuit the better leader you become and the more progress you will experience.

To start leading this way you just need to have the confidence to start the cycle. Find, motivate then allocate.

Sure there are a lot of books you can read. There is probably a lot of internet content on the matter, but most of them are in terms of leading the people you were put in charge of. Leadership is so much more to an entrepreneur.

Apply this brand of leadership to almost any roadblock (or BUT statement) and you can move through it. Find someone that has what you lack, motivate them to assist and allocate them wisely.

Last edited:

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
The WSJ describes it as a LONE WOLF BEHAVIOR. Hmmm, sound familiar? Onepreneurs take note.

This struck a chord with me. I'm a typical lone wolf and don't complain about my results, but what if I could figure out how to keep the benefits of being a lone wolf while getting other people to help and consequently, get better results?

Going to find somebody to help me with a project and let's see what I can learn from this experience.

Food for thought. Thanks, @Kak.

Andreas Thiel

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Aug 27, 2018
Karlsruhe, Germany
Funny you say that. ;)

First we need to define leadership and to define leadership we need to start by addressing what it isn’t... a position. Also, you can follow this down the deepest rabbit hole ever, so I will keep it simple. I’m also I am still in the process of unpacking my experiences and beliefs on this.

For now, I would argue there are two kinds of leadership...
Micro level- within or relating to your organization
Macro level- life in general being a leader, someone people respect and believe in.

I think you are blending Leadership and Management there.
According to "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People" and "The Art of War" you should separate those with a clean cut.

Leadership is about doing the right things
Management is about doing things right.

Another issue I see here is that people equate Leadership with Sales.

Go back to the “buts” thing.
I have a great idea, but...
This would change the world, but...
I have tons of ideas, but...

That does hardly explain the case of Nikola Tesla, does it :-?
Leadership is NOT taking action when all you do is presales and sales.
I know small companies that thought big, execute their great ideas like maniacs, go where it hurts but they failed elsewhere. There are buts that they are willfully blind to.
Both keep can still keep the lights on, but just barely.

The issue that they have is that they have a bad understanding of Leadership and Management.
They did not categorize tasks as as Important or Urgent and kept getting bullied by them.
When everything seems somewhat important and you let your guts decide what to work on, that is the recipe for failure, unless you are lucky or "borrow a system" that good leaders and managers have shared publicly.

As I see it, you cannot be a lazy thinker, identify the right levers and metrics if you want to blaze a trail.
You need to look at the "first principles" of business.

[EDIT]I hope nobody noticed what I wrote before the edit :wideyed:[/EDIT]

Last edited:

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona
Find someone that has what you lack, motivate them to assist and allocate them wisely.

Brings me back to the story about Ford and the story how about his row of buttons he could push to get the answer he needed to any question. You definitely see many in a leadership role who’s downfall is ego and thinking they are the smartest and best and couldn’t possibly benefit from others. In doing so they don’t address their weaknesses and they get exposed.

Love the analogy of micro vs. macro. Reminds me of chess, you always hear about how the greats are looking 5-10 moves ahead, just like a good leader needs to be doing. Focus on the next move (micro) but NEVER lose sight of the overall plan (macro).

masterneme

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
253%
Apr 13, 2015
WOW what an amazing thread, I just want to say what's the lesson I learnt from the story of Nikola Tesla.

It's that if you're in a position of leadership with someone with outstanding talent like him, be aware that some people are so focused on their craft that you'll need to take care of them.

Tesla's biggest dream was to give free wireless energy to everyone and we don't have that because he was screwed over, this added to his carelessness made everything fade away.

Think about it, Edison is remembered for inventing the light bulb right? That might be correct on some circles but for many others he's the douche that screwed Tesla over and slowed the progress of science because of greed.

Now bear with me because I don't want this to be an Edison vs Tesla debate.

What I'm trying to make you see is that you can be a legendary leader by inventing the next light bulb AND helping future Tesla to give world class change to humanity, make a fortune AND leave an exceptional legacy.

I know some people will say something along the lines of "it's not my work to babysit some losers".

And this what I have to say to those who think like that:

YES IT IS.

If you think similarly to what I just wrote you're simply not thinking big enough and not only that I would put in doubt your leadership skills.

In other words, I know not only that I can bake the cake and it it too, I know that I can help the bakery equivalent of Tesla to give free toppings to the world, make a party and everyone enjoy our gifts.

If you can't handle such a challenge, then you're not thinking big enough, otherwise it would be a piece of cake ;)

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I think you are blending Leadership and Management there.
According to "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People" and "The Art of War" you should separate those with a clean cut.

Leadership is about doing the right things
Management is about doing things right.

Another issue I see here is that people equate Leadership with Sales.

That does hardly explain the case of Nikola Tesla, does it :-?
Leadership is NOT taking action when all you do is presales and sales.
I know small companies that thought big, execute their great ideas like maniacs, go where it hurts but they failed elsewhere. There are buts that they are willfully blind to.
Both keep can still keep the lights on, but just barely.

The issue that they have is that they have a bad understanding of Leadership and Management.
They did not categorize tasks as as Important or Urgent and kept getting bullied by them.
When everything seems somewhat important and you let your guts decide what to work on, that is the recipe for failure, unless you are lucky or "borrow a system" that good leaders and managers have shared publicly.

As I see it, you cannot be a lazy thinker, identify the right levers and metrics if you want to blaze a trail.
You need to look at the "first principles" of business.

[EDIT]I hope nobody noticed what I wrote before the edit :wideyed:[/EDIT]

Leadership is an umbrella that covers all. My explanation relates to capitalization, sales, internal management, external management, project management, partnerships, and I'm sure I'm missing some.

Do you suffer a bit from analysis paralysis? It seems, despite all of our willingness to speak in generalities, you want to go head first down the rabbit hole.

Of course this horse can be beat and killed and beat some more, but the reality is you have to get your hands dirty. There isn't one more morsel of knowledge that's going to be the ace in the hole to your understanding. If you are looking for an "Ah Ha" moment, I don't think you'll find it in theory. You'll find it in doing.

I learned to lead by really working my a$$ off until people believed in me. They invested and that allowed me to properly motivate others and allocating them properly, forever, will make sure I never run out of resources.

Last edited:

Andreas Thiel

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Aug 27, 2018
Karlsruhe, Germany
Leadership is an umbrella that covers all. My explanation relates to capitalization, sales, internal management, external management, project management, partnerships, and I'm sure I'm missing some.

Do you suffer a bit from analysis paralysis? It seems, despite all of our willingness to speak in generalities, you want to go head first down the rabbit hole.

Of course this horse can be beat and killed and beat some more, but the reality is you have to get your hands dirty. There isn't one more morsel of knowledge that's going to be the ace in the hole to your understanding. If you are looking for an "Ah Ha" moment, I don't think you'll find it in theory. You'll find it in doing.

I learned to lead by really working my a$$ off until people believed in me. They invested and that allowed me to properly motivate others and allocating them properly, forever, will make sure I never run out of resources.
For me, sure, I am heavily on the side of under-execution ... but I feel your concepts lack utility for those who want to think big. You are all about executing big. There is insane value in that, but I feel that trailblazers need more nuanced mental models.

If Leadership is everything ... then yes, something in there does dethrone something.
But that is not applicable advice. I just want to provide a pole (pro planning, I suppose) because I know there is a gigantic downside to the "just do" sentiment.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
For me, sure, I am heavily on the side of under-execution ... but I feel your concepts lack utility for those how want to think big.

If Leadership is everything ... then yes, something in there does dethrone something.
But that is not applicable advice. I just want to provide a pole (pro planning, I suppose) because I know there is a gigantic downside to the "just do" sentiment.

That's the thing though. Only you can create your utility. I'm not a step by step course. Entrepreneurship is creating the steps. Every endeavor is different.

People that want this kind of direction want to FOLLOW not LEAD. Leading means the steps are up to you. I'm preaching leadership.

On the new frontier of anything, there is no roadmap, just leaders.

Last edited:

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona
I see both sides of what is being said. For the purpose of this thread though, I think we’ve all agreed that “thinking big” while difficult is 1/100 of the overall process. I could find quotes all day long that are inspirational but what you can’t google is the execution portion that @Kak is commenting on.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I see both sides of what is being said. For the purpose of this thread though, I think we’ve all agreed that “thinking big” while difficult is 1/100 of the overall process. I could find quotes all day long that are inspirational but what you can’t google is the execution portion that @Kak is commenting on.

Oh don’t get me wrong. I understand, completely, the want for more tangible action steps, but true entrepreneurs need to be comfortable acting without them the majority of the time.

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona
Oh don’t get me wrong. I understand, completely, the want for more tangible action steps, but true entrepreneurs need to be comfortable acting without them the majority of the time.

My position would be for anybody seeking tangible action steps this is the wrong thread for them anyway. Have some rep back and thanks for all the contributions here.

Andreas Thiel

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Aug 27, 2018
Karlsruhe, Germany
The last thing I want is a fight or come across as a troublemaker.

It is just that people who want to lead benefit immensely from nuggests of wisdom of other great leaders and managers. Understanding the nuanced aspects of those concepts is not action faking. It is something that needs to be integrated into the process or be taken care of as a prerequisite.

When people lead and manage there are certain universal action steps that they should incorporate into their process.

Again, it is not about giving people a full strategy, it is about teaching the first principles of leadership and management so that they can define their mission and come up with strategies and plans.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
When people lead and manage there are certain universal action steps that they should incorporate into their process.

You’re not causing trouble, just not listening. You are trapped wanting your hand held. Think OUTSIDE your box.

My opinion on the matter, and accept my opinion how you will, would be the oppositite of your quote above.

I know, I know I’m sure there are books out there about becoming a better leader with 6 steps. But, most of that crap usually applies to a managerial position and largely a bunch of conjecture.

Leadership by definition is being out in front. It is never off the shelf. To start leading you have to get out in front first.

If you want to learn to deal with people better and and get some tips you might be able to apply to your own leadership journey, read some stuff from Maxwell and Covey, but be forewarned, off the rack usually fits like shit and you should tailor it to your actual endeavor.

Last edited:

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona
The last thing I want is a fight or come across as a troublemaker.

It is just that people who want to lead benefit immensely from nuggests of wisdom of other great leaders and managers. Understanding the nuanced aspects of those concepts is not action faking. It is something that needs to be integrated into the process or be taken care of as a prerequisite.

Again, it is not about giving people a full strategy, it is about teaching the first principles of leadership and management so that they can define their mission and come up with strategies and plans.

First off, don’t apologize for having a question or an opinion. This forum can be immensely powerful through asking questions of people who have and are succeeding. Had you started arguing over what’s better between a Lamborghini and a Ferarri then yes, take that sh*t elsewhere.

From what I can read you are grouping managers and leaders together too frequently. What @Kak is saying is that they have almost no similarities. Managers are a dime a dozen, you can hire a manager all day, everyday who will tell people what to do and how they think it should be done.

A leader will inspire those people to do the work, inspire them to contribute more, offer opinions, critique etc. Maybe even more importantly, most good leaders will offer you a path to enrich your own life, whether it’s new projects, more responsibility or more money. A manager feels constantly threatened and typically tries to keep people down for fear that they can do the job better.

Almost went down a rabbit hole of great leaders but stopped when I immediately saw this:

“Outstanding leaders go out of their way to boost the self-esteem of their personnel. If people believe in themselves, it's amazing what they can accomplish” -Samuel Walton

How many stories of managers are there where they boost self-esteem instead of lowering it? I’d say few and far between.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
I know, I know I’m sure there aren’t books out there about becoming a better leader with 6 steps. But, most of that crap usually applies to a managerial position and largely a bunch of conjecture.
Nah i mean i kinda agree with him, but get what you’re saying.

You’re basically sayin ‘leaders don’t need the step-by-step... THAT WHAT MAKES THEM LEADERS!” and I agree

But i do think there are universal better ways of doing things

Evidence-based management - Wikipedia

Harvard Business Review gets into stuff like that a lot

Evidence-based management (EBMgt) is an emerging movement to explicitly use the current, best evidence in management and decision-making. Its roots are in empiricism as seen in evidence-based-practice, aiming to apply scientific method to evaluating practice.

It’s almost ironic... become a better leader by following rules, and i think that’s the inherent irony that’s being pointed out

The gold standard of management? Evidence-based management ...

We can look at what works and better learn from it

Okay @Kak ... let me draw a parallel that I think applies. Let’s say you’re an innovator. By definition an innovator is someone who comes up with new approaches. They don’t do things the old way. BUT a current innovator takes a lot of time learning what past innovators did. Like Elon Musk is an amazing engineer but he spent a lot of time in school understanding the greats before him. He’s definitely a leader, but he had to follow first.

Okay, but not every innovator went to school... still Steve Jobs talks about taking time to expose yourself to great things as that becomes the soil for you to plant upon.

“It comes down to trying to expose yourself to the best things that humans have done and then try to bring those things into what you’re doing. Picasso had a saying: good artists copy, great artists steal.”

"When you ask creative people how they did something, they feel a little guilty because they didn't really do it, they just saw something. It seemed obvious to them after a while."

youtube.com/watch?v=5-oyaQ98sWs

Issac Newton admitted that had achieved his great breakthroughs/innovations by learning from those before him.

"If I have seen further it is only by standing on the shoulders of giants.” - Sir Issac Newton

I think that leading and following are intertwined. You’re going to have a hard time coming up with the theory or relativity without learning what the great physicists before you did. But from that framework and understanding, you can make new things. No need to reinvent the wheel.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.