The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

There are no shortcuts while climbing a mountain

D

Deleted70138

There are several mistakes that amateur & unexperienced hikers make during mountaineering.

1) Not walking zig-zag - Usually young males are prone to this mistake, trying to minimize the length by taking shorter route with steeper slope, which eventually leads to them draining their energy early on. This group of people usually have nausea and sleeplessness at night.
2) Starting with high pace - We all feel energized and ready for action in the morning, underestimating our physical capabilities, after all, those super-heroes in the movies are capable of running up to the top of the hill in one breath. Unfortunately that's not how body works, it gets tired much faster on high altitudes than one might think. This even happens with professional athletes. I've seen world class rugby players almost crawling to their knees from tiredness, just because they looked at themselves "above".
3) Too much talking - Those who constantly talk and verbally assault fellow hikers ears, get tired really fast from asymmetric breathing. I think the reason for this non-stop-talking is the stress and desire to escape it through the distraction of talking.
4) Too many stops - There is always an illusion during climbing, especially in a cold weather, that taking a stop will give you an energy, but it's an absolutely terrible idea. You will be stressing your muscles and draining energy with unregular pace and also there is a danger of hypothermia. Soothing feeling of taking a rest allows cold temperature to crawl in from the back door, bringing dizziness and great desire to sleep. Many have died due to this illusion. It's much better to keep on walking, even with extremely slow pace.
5) Shitty food and no water - If you think there is no difference between eating a steamed broccoli with chicken breast, vs french fries, it's because you are sitting on your arse all day and have never put your body through the difficulties. Mental and physical alertness is something you can't afford not to have.
6) No prior preparation - The quality of your hiking trip will be determined by your decisions years prior to that day. Those who slipped from their discipline, will be sufficiently penalized by the universe.
7) Too much luggage - You don't really need fresh new underwear for each day, it's ok if you smell a bit, just bring a small towel, and leave your pillows at home. Getting rid of things is one of the most important "silver bullets" on the mountain.
8) Focused on reaching the top - several years ago I was climbing one of 5k mountains and on the way down met couple of foreign climbers, who recently summited Mt Everest. Even though this particular mountain is like a "taking a walk in park", compared to Everest, it still can get pretty dangerous due it's crevasses and cold temperature. Weather was getting worse, with clouds forming on the top of the mountain and winds taking up more speed. Some of the most experienced local climbers suggested to that group not to proceed any further, even though it was just 500 meters (1640 ft) till the top of the summit. Being mesmerized by the idea of reaching the top, they still went for the summit, while we started descending down fast. As they did not arrive back to the mountain base-hut, rescue team went for a search next day, finally finding them frozen while hugging each other. There is a saying - "don't rush, mountain won't go anywhere."

These are some from the top of my head, and I hope you don't think it's a thread about mountaineering.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
There are several mistakes that amateur & unexperienced hikers make during mountaineering.

1) Not walking zig-zag - Usually young males are prone to this mistake, trying to minimize the length by taking shorter route with steeper slope, which eventually leads to them draining their energy early on. This group of people usually have nausea and sleeplessness at night.
2) Starting with high pace - We all feel energized and ready for action in the morning, underestimating our physical capabilities, after all, those super-heroes in the movies are capable of running up to the top of the hill in one breath. Unfortunately that's not how body works, it gets tired much faster on high altitudes than one might think. This even happens with professional athletes. I've seen world class rugby players almost crawling to their knees from tiredness, just because they looked at themselves "above".
3) Too much talking - Those who constantly talk and verbally assault fellow hikers ears, get tired really fast from asymmetric breathing. I think the reason for this non-stop-talking is the stress and desire to escape it through the distraction of talking.
4) Too many stops - There is always an illusion during climbing, especially in a cold weather, that taking a stop will give you an energy, but it's an absolutely terrible idea. You will be stressing your muscles and draining energy with unregular pace and also there is a danger of hypothermia. Soothing feeling of taking a rest allows cold temperature to crawl in from the back door, bringing dizziness and great desire to sleep. Many have died due to this illusion. It's much better to keep on walking, even with extremely slow pace.
5) Shitty food and no water - If you think there is no difference between eating a steamed broccoli with chicken breast, vs french fries, it's because you are sitting on your arse all day and have never put your body through the difficulties. Mental and physical alertness is something you can't afford not to have.
6) No prior preparation - The quality of your hiking trip will be determined by your decisions years prior to that day. Those who slipped from their discipline, will be sufficiently penalized by the universe.
7) Too much luggage - You don't really need fresh new underwear for each day, it's ok if you smell a bit, just bring a small towel, and leave your pillows at home. Getting rid of things is one of the most important "silver bullets" on the mountain.
8) Focused on reaching the top - several years ago I was climbing one of 5k mountains and on the way down met couple of foreign climbers, who recently summited Mt Everest. Even though this particular mountain is like a "taking a walk in park", compared to Everest, it still can get pretty dangerous due it's crevasses and cold temperature. Weather was getting worse, with clouds forming on the top of the mountain and winds taking up more speed. Some of the most experienced local climbers suggested to that group not to proceed any further, even though it was just 500 meters (1640 ft) till the top of the summit. Being mesmerized by the idea of reaching the top, they still went for the summit, while we started descending down fast. As they did not arrive back to the mountain base-hut, rescue team went for a search next day, finally finding them frozen while hugging each other. There is a saying - "don't rush, mountain won't go anywhere."

These are some from the top of my head, and I hope you don't think it's a thread about mountaineering.
This is great. I think it would help people on the outside. Any reason not to move it outside?

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018

Literally the same can be said about endurance racing. Ultra marathons etc.

Great advice!

I’m with Andy - why is this INSIDERS Only? Move it to general public to see.

Ismail941

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
May 7, 2019
Good post.

It's more like Common Mistakes to identify when a new person pursue entrpernieual journey.

This post should be in GOLD or Notable - wherever fits.

Itizn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Sep 25, 2019
Colombia
Great post. Personally guilty of not heeding the advices featured in here.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
I know you are into that crazy stuff. Hope you enjoy shitty mornings as much as I do.

I find great comfort in discomfort.

Chew on that people! :rofl:

Raven S

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Oct 19, 2021
Norway

Oh... never mind me... Im just gonna stand here for a little while, and appreciate the fact that i have stumbled upon a forum, where you ACTUALLY get to find people with nicks like Zaratustra talking about climbing mountains...
1634761248645.png

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.