The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Worldwide C0VlD-19 Coronavirus Pandemic Discussion Thread...

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
“Simon Black outdid himself with his new article rounding up the worst absurdities from last week”

See, this is what I mean. The people running shit are making people go to the beach in a 3 hour window. I don’t understand how they don’t see that making everyone get out for a 3 hour window is more dangerous than just opening the beach all day. You do the three hour window and everyone all goes at once and crowds up the beach, making social distancing harder. Meanwhile, everyone is crowding up the beach but it’s illegal to go in the water, which as the article states, has virtually limitless space. Come on South Africa, you’re better than this.

Simon Black is fantastic. For those who are unaware: Our Blog | Sovereign Man

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
“Simon Black outdid himself with his new article rounding up the worst absurdities from last week”

See, this is what I mean. The people running shit are making people go to the beach in a 3 hour window. I don’t understand how they don’t see that making everyone get out for a 3 hour window is more dangerous than just opening the beach all day. You do the three hour window and everyone all goes at once and crowds up the beach, making social distancing harder. Meanwhile, everyone is crowding up the beach but it’s illegal to go in the water, which as the article states, has virtually limitless space. Come on South Africa, you’re better than this.

Where I currently live (Barbados), it's the same. Beginning Monday, we'll be "allowed" to go to the beach between 4 pm and 6:30 pm as well in addition to 6 am to 9 am. Prior to the virus, there were few people at the beaches in the morning (and few surfers at my favorite break). Now there are at least 5x more people at the beach while on some days the surf break is so crowded you have to wait a long time for your turn (previously it was just a handful of people, now it can be up to 50).

There are many more absurd rules like this one. I can't understand what people coming up with these ridiculous rules think (if they think at all). My contempt for the so-called "leaders" grows each day.

Bearcorp

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
88DA1DAC-87D3-4CF6-B4C0-7C31C603BCDE.jpeg

A local golf course, I can go there, walk into the pro shop, pay my green fees and buy some golf balls, but I can’t buy a bottle of water or a chocolate bar? But I can stop at a service station or deli on the way and buy them? Makes no sense.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
D

DeletedUser0287

The first of many...

I mean it was bound to happen. Coronavirus just expedited it. This pandemic exposes which businesses are strong and which are weak.

For example, one of the hardest hit industry were resturaunts, but during pandemic McDonald’s was actually giving free meals, not just surviving.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
I mean it was bound to happen. Coronavirus just expedited it. This pandemic exposes which businesses are strong and which are weak.

For example, one of the hardest hit industry were resturaunts, but during pandemic McDonald’s was actually giving free meals, not just surviving.
“When the tide goes out, everyone knows whose skinny dipping” - Warren Buffett

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
@MoreValue So I guess upscale restaurants and hospitality businesses were “weak.”

The good operations were just as affected by this as the poor ones.

Thoelt53

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Dec 8, 2016
Boston, MA
As we continue to say, the coronavirus DID NOT cause an economic recession, the people who obeyed the commands of tyrants did. The coronavirus DID NOT cause food shortages, farmers who obeyed the commands of tyrants did. The coronavirus DID NOT cause tyranny, the cops who followed orders to exact tyranny on the public did. This all comes down to obeying. The masters barked orders, and the slaves obeyed to their own detriment. If we ever hope to be free, we have to reject the slave mindset they have brainwashed all of us into.”

Thoelt53

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Dec 8, 2016
Boston, MA

COVID is absolutely expediting a due correction. However, it’s gone way beyond that and the economy has been
crushed into a depression. Forget what the NYSE looks like, unemployment and the bond market is where you see depressions. Both are in crisis.

McDonald’s is hardly a restaurant, not only because their “food” sucks, but also because of how their operation is structured. It’s a real estate company.

There are vast numbers of wildly successful restaurants with plenty of cash that have or will go under from this. It’s not because they are weak. The government forced an environment that only fast food and take out “restaurants” can survive in. A high end restaurant cannot survive on takeout, they need full tables Thursday through Saturday. They need a packed bar. Current government mandate prohibits that, and essentially cut their heads off overnight.

James Klymus

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 28, 2018
Chicago, Illinois
A high end restaurant cannot survive on takeout, they need full tables Thursday through Saturday. They need a packed bar. Current government mandate prohibits that, and essentially cut their heads off overnight.

That's why when bureaucrats say "You're only allowed to operate at 50% capacity" You know for a fact that they have never even worked at a restaurant in their life. And I'm hearing about not allowing parties of more than 6 to sit together, wtf?

These restaurants, barber shops, salons etc. are not designed to operate at 50% capacity. A friday night that looks like a tuesday night is a failure.

They will be lucky if they even break even operating at that capacity. The restaurant that I work at is even having a tough time, and we're a delivery/takeout restaurant anyways.

Thoelt53

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Dec 8, 2016
Boston, MA
That's why when bureaucrats say "You're only allowed to operate at 50% capacity" You know for a fact that they have never even worked at a restaurant in their life. And I'm hearing about not allowing parties of more than 6 to sit together
It’s worse than that; they don’t care! They couldn’t give a shit. But somehow the majority of people still think politicians care about them, and that they are “in the nation’s capital fighting for their constituents.”

Bogus. This current period couldn’t make that more obvious.

Like @Kak said, it looks a lot like Stockholm Syndrome. Combine that with denial and it explains a lot. It would seem that it’s easier for people to shirk responsibility in the form of denial than it would be for people to accept that the politicians they voted in are only serving themselves and the bureaucracy.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Just a quick rant.

I absolutely LOATHE the phrase “we are all in this together.”

You can almost smell the arrogance that comes off of that.

What it translates to is: F*ck your viewpoint. Do everything my way.

JamesQB8

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Mar 20, 2019
Just a quick rant.

Lmao the amount of times you hear this is in bullshit corporate communications where people are getting F*cked in someway.

Hey, we need all of you plebs to take a 50% paycut and 2x your workload. But remember. We're all in this together.

Thoelt53

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Dec 8, 2016
Boston, MA
Just a quick rant.

“There are two questions that deserve answers as the “new normal” is imposed on the rest of us by some of us.

The first is: At what point does an asserted risk to some no longer justify the imposition of certain harm on everyone? At least 33 million Americans have been forced out of their jobs and into the poorhouse; every American has had his life diminished, basic freedoms curtailed – his peace of mind assaulted.
Well, not every American. Which brings up the second question:

Why aren’t the some who have imposed open-ended harm on the many required to share in the harm they insist is necessary?

We are told that “people are dying” – and indeed they are. But how did this suddenly become a blank check claim on the lives of everyone else? It is considered unfeeling to make cost-benefit calculations when human lives are at risk but this is nonetheless something we do all the time – without insisting on a zero-risk result, no matter the cost.

Until now.

Suddenly, a virus with a mortality rate similar to that of seasonal flus that’s less a threat than medical malpractice has become an intolerable risk that justifies unlimited harm inflicted on almost everyone.

But not everyone.

Because we are not – as the treacly phrase has it – “all in this together.”
Some of us – the people who’ve imposed the harm on the rest of us – are very much out of this. Some go about their business uninhibited and unscathed; these some having the power to declare their business (and their paychecks) “essential” while simultaneously declaring ours not.

Why is this tolerated?

If, in fact, we are “all in this together”?
There is a glib congruency between those who urge harm on all for the sake of some. The people so urging are almost axiomatically people who aren’t being harmed, which explains their position nicely.

The politicians and bureaucrats; the fulsomely “essential” workers who continue to get paid while the rest of us continue to bleed. The big box stores and large corporate retailers.

Their businesses are open.“

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
View attachment 32979

A local golf course, I can go there, walk into the pro shop, pay my green fees and buy some golf balls, but I can’t buy a bottle of water or a chocolate bar? But I can stop at a service station or deli on the way and buy them? Makes no sense.

No one knows WTF they are doing.

There is no clear plan moving forward or any long term sustainable vision in Australia.

I know a few police officers. A few family members are in the force and they have been told on the down low not to issue any fines.

I see another lockdown happening once restrictions get opened up.

Like the USA i think we will also see a depression.

Housing will absolutely tank, although i have been saying that for years about AUS property but yet it keeps going up by insane amounts defying all logic.

Andreas Thiel

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Aug 27, 2018
Karlsruhe, Germany
This is an interesting read. I tend to agree with a lot of what’s being said here. The heavy lock downs just aren’t sustainable. I’m sure a lot of you have heard about Sweden.

Herd Immunity Is the Only Realistic Option—the Question Is How to Get There Safely
Sweden’s Coronavirus Strategy Will Soon Be the World’s

Will read the article, but I am not so sure that Sweden really does things that much differently.

They do place the responsibility in the hands of the individual, which I like. But for most people that is a subtle difference that does not matter because the overall situation is not that different.

Plus, there are articles that say their elders were not protected well enough.
Might not be accurate, but that is what the media says (and many believe).

David Harrison

Dedo
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
215%
Sep 27, 2018
London
The "rules" for the majority don't apply to those of the "Ruling Class".
It's never been any different in my lifetime, so why be surprised...

There has always been a "presented" perception of "reality", and REALITY.
To be able to discern the difference is what distinguishes zombies from humans. (Just saying).

James Klymus

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 28, 2018
Chicago, Illinois

Hmmm. Maybe you should have let those barbers and salon owners cut hair?

Maybe you shouldn't have divided the workforce between "essential and non-essential"

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhYgGavW1BU

I think it's hilarious that these dumb asses think they can just tell everyone to stay home, choking off sales tax and wage tax and increasing unemployment spending, and then when they start running low on money and the federal government doesn't want to bail them out, they act surprised.

What I don't think is funny though: The thousands and thousands of average joe state employees that will be affected by this. They didn't create the corruption, or the bloated government with huge overhead, they're average people with bills to pay.

It's blatantly obvious that they could have allowed businesses to open WEEKS ago (Or never close at all, that's just hindsight though).

But instead they dig their heals in the dirt and didn't budge, expecting daddy (the feds) to bail them out.

GIlman

Still Gilman
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
605%
Oct 16, 2014
Colorado just revised their total dead DOWN. The examined and reclassified taking note of the difference between diving WITH and dying FROM coronavirus.

The result is that they overcounted by 30% the number dead before. Likely this is on par with the rest of the country.

Even in hard hit areas, it appears much of the issue is stupid gov policies forcing nursing homes to take covid patients, causing lethal outbreaks. Had they allowed nursing homes to refuse those patients or other measures to limit spread amount the vulnerable, their “catastrophic” death counts could have been significantly decreased, overwhelmed hospitals could have handled the volumes most likely without being overrun.

It’s amazing how the collective wisdom of the community all looking out for their own best interests seems to result in better outcomes than a few politicians backed by experts managing it from on high.

Hopefully people will turn a skeptical eye to other modeled crisis, like climate change to name one, and become very wary of massive destructive policies to people and economies in the name of saving us all from eminent doom. Greta Thunberg’s vision of the future is basically the same as people pushing repressive CV policies.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada

GIlman

Still Gilman
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
605%
Oct 16, 2014
Please please please have a link for this!!!!

EDIT: Here is a Direct link that shows the new classification.

Last edited:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Also. It has been a few weeks or so since I called this all a scam. I figure I will do it again for effect.

It is a scam.

Visionary96

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Oct 23, 2018
Torquay, United Kingdom
No one knows WTF they are doing.

There is no clear plan moving forward or any long term sustainable vision in Australia.

I know a few police officers. A few family members are in the force and they have been told on the down low not to issue any fines.

I see another lockdown happening once restrictions get opened up.

Like the USA i think we will also see a depression.

Housing will absolutely tank, although i have been saying that for years about AUS property but yet it keeps going up by insane amounts defying all logic.

I remember riding in an Uber in the Sydney suburbs, near Liverpool I think. He was telling me the prices of some of the properties whilst passing and I couldn't believe it. Crazy prices for such basic and small houses. I get it with Darling Harbour or The Rocks, but these neighbourhoods were nothing special, whatsoever.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
Just a quick rant.

I've always interpreted that phrase as another example soulless corporate-speak, which is hyper-prevalent on LinkedIn (the way people talk there makes my skin crawl).

Words said by public officials have lost all but lost all meaning. If a politicians says something, it means "vote for me." If a CEO says something, it means "buy our stuff."

James Klymus

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 28, 2018
Chicago, Illinois
I've always interpreted that phrase as another example soulless corporate-speak, which is hyper-prevalent on LinkedIn (the way people talk there makes my skin crawl).

Words said by public officials have lost all but lost all meaning. If a politicians says something, it means "vote for me." If a CEO says something, it means "buy our stuff."

“your safety is our highest priority”

G

GuestUser4aMPs1

*Rant Incoming*

Got kicked out of the park walking with my girlfriend last evening when watching the sunset, and today got kicked out because I was exercising after their designated window of time.

On both occasions, the closest person was a football field away.

Also on both occasions, it was the same cop...not wearing a mask. Working without a mask is technically illegal here.

So if this happens again (which I'm confident it will) I'm going to record them asking for identification and why they're not wearing a mask; promptly sending it to their chain of command and the media.

If I have to go "Nuclear Karen" and get someone fired by using their own bullshit laws against them, I will.

It's stupid that I can't enjoy a peaceful evening with my girl or exercise in solitude without some stupid drone ruining it.

/Rant

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
Also on both occasions, it was the same cop...not wearing a mask. Working without a mask is technically illegal here.

So if this happens again (which I'm confident it will) I'm going to record them asking for identification and why they're not wearing a mask; promptly sending it to their chain of command and the media.

If I have to go "Nuclear Karen" and get someone fired by using their own bullshit laws against them, I will.

It's stupid that I can't enjoy a peaceful evening with my girl or exercise in solitude without some stupid drone ruining it.

/Rant

I always respect boldness, but whenever you deal with the police, you need to be sangfroid.

The most important lesson that people should have learned over the last 3 months is that power trumps principles. Who cares if you're "right" when a big group of men with guns tells you otherwise and you have no backup?

Fight for whats yours, but be careful. There are god-complexes on the rise and this crisis has given people in power the ability to rationalize away "unfortunate circumstances."

You do not want to win an argument. You want to win.” ― Nassim Nicholas Taleb

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

― Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.