The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Weirdest Business Model (worth copying)

Kasimir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 4, 2020
Switzerland
A good idea!
I would get some experience with lower prices.
when I can well, I would charge 100000 min. There are allways people in every income region to buybsomething. So in the welth region, too.
And rich people dare to use that service more, as often they have a bigger self confidence.
Having one client per month would be enough to be at 1 m ren.
Scale: self runner.

Very interesting approach. Just charge as much as possible and surely you’ll find some costumers. Here in Switzerland it’s already a business but only around 10 to 25k and no higher. Could possible be a highly profitable business.
But not my kind of business. :)
Nevertheless thanks for sharing @Ing

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

lovetodance

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Sep 30, 2020
Amsterdam
I came upon this today and had to share it with my Fastlane friends. Please don't laugh....... this is deadly serious.

A man in Queensland Australia saw a need that maybe many people could relate to, but it seems that nobody has ever made a business out of it.

The need was for honest talking at funerals. Here's how he does it:
  • He visits people who are on their deathbeds in hospital. I don't know how he gets to know who is dying, but maybe he has good contacts in hospitals.
  • He interviews them, asking if there is anything they want said at the funeral other than the trite eulogies or wishes engineered by family members. In other words: What are your real last wishes?
  • For legal self protection he records the interviews.
  • He charges the dying person $10,000 to fulfill their wish to have those real wishes spoken.
  • When the funeral is under way he steps up to the microphone being used by the minister or MC, and tells them he is there at the request of the deceased who has asked him to read out his/her real last wishes.
  • Sometimes he tells all those standing behind the microphone to go and join the rest of the mourners.
  • Then he reads out his list, much to the chagrin of the vested interests who have said or would say otherwise.
He has a thriving business. His customers all die, but there are always more potential customers waiting, and as his reputation grows, so does his list of customers.

Walter
P.S. Is this fastlane? He doesn't even finish up with an email list.
:jawdrop:
this is amazing and brave.
I think a good mental skills are required to do not get depressed, but from the other hand he makes something amazing for these people

Kasimir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 4, 2020
Switzerland
I totally forgot about that idea, but it recently came up over a lunch meeting.
And I still think it's great. I wouldn't put a lot of thought in on how to make it scalable with TVs or anything. But rather just send somebody to the funeral to speak some words. The Only problem is that you can't really reach old people through the internet... and the other idea that you do more or less the same thing, but you're still alive. So you pay somebody who will tell for example a family member you don't like to F*ck off. But there you have the problem that it can escalate pretty quickly. In any case it would need to be some type of luxury service.
But I still think it's an amazing idea.

Kal-El1998

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Nov 25, 2020
All joking aside, I don't know if its fastlane...usually fast lane is something recurring, and yes, death is recurring...but you'll have to find new clients each time.

Kasimir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 4, 2020
Switzerland
All joking aside, I don't know if its fastlane...usually fast lane is something recurring, and yes, death is recurring...but you'll have to find new clients each time.
So yeah the thing with the funerals isn't fastlane...however that doesn't mean it has to be a bad business. Here in Switzerland people charge upwards of 10k+ for this service. Fastlane or not that's really profitable.

However, that's the main problem, that your costumers are dead. I'm well aware of that. I won't build a business around that idea, I only find it interesting that's all.

Lyinx

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 28, 2019
Lancaster County, PA
So yeah the thing with the funerals isn't fastlane...however that doesn't mean it has to be a bad business. Here in Switzerland people charge upwards of 10k+ for this service. Fastlane or not that's really profitable.

However, that's the main problem, that your costumers are dead. I'm well aware of that. I won't build a business around that idea, I only find it interesting that's all.
well - you could advertise to other folks while you are at the last funeral - could end up with a line, " Hire me at YOUR funeral! my phone number is written here on the back side of the coffin! "

I met our local funeral director twice in the last year (buried two elderly grandparents, one on my side of the family and one on the wife's side) and at the 2nd funeral I noticed what he did.. after the body was buried, he turned around and shook all of the close families hands, said his condolences and moved on....

When he was part ways through I realized that he was sizing up the future market, and making sure they all knew him, nearly had to laugh out loud when I realized it!

Kasimir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 4, 2020
Switzerland
well - you could advertise to other folks while you are at the last funeral - could end up with a line, " Hire me at YOUR funeral! my phone number is written here on the back side of the coffin! "

I met our local funeral director twice in the last year (buried two elderly grandparents, one on my side of the family and one on the wife's side) and at the 2nd funeral I noticed what he did.. after the body was buried, he turned around and shook all of the close families hands, said his condolences and moved on....

When he was part ways through I realized that he was sizing up the future market, and making sure they all knew him, nearly had to laugh out loud when I realized it!
Oh wow, but let's be honest he is doing an amazing job at getting to know future costumers. Maybe morally not perfect, but who cares.
Fascinating story. Thanks for sharing!
And sorry for your loss.

ItsAJackal

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Oct 16, 2018
Just saw a few items in one of the articles:

"The unusual nature of Mr Edgar's job has caught the eye of the entertainment industry and he has signed a deal for it to be made into a movie or drama series."

"When priests and funeral directors have tried to prevent Mr Edgar from delivering his secrets, he has not let that stop him delivering on his contract with the deceased."

"That means that I've arranged previously to have the body of my client taken away and cremated or buried at a private ceremony."

I think it's a great idea, but it has to be incredibly stressful and possibly dangerous if you are dropping some bombshell on a group of people. It also said part of his deal is to go on private property and destroy things that were not meant to be found by the family.

I'm pulling all these quotes from this article.

Kasimir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 4, 2020
Switzerland
I think it's a great idea, but it has to be incredibly stressful and possibly dangerous if you are dropping some bombshell on a group of people. It also said part of his deal is to go on private property and destroy things that were not meant to be found by the family.
You're 100% right. But that's the price you have to pay for the big paycheck in that kind of business.

Lyinx

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 28, 2019
Lancaster County, PA
Oh wow, but let's be honest he is doing an amazing job at getting to know future costumers. Maybe morally not perfect, but who cares.
Fascinating story. Thanks for sharing!
And sorry for your loss.
TBH, 99% of people probably had no idea that he was doing it, I only noticed because I saw him twice in a few months and I'm a business owner that watches for things like that. Most other people would never have noticed.

Side note: someone said that this funeral director is losing out in the local community as he had 100% of their business in the past, so he takes them for granted. there is now a competitor in the area who respects the people a bit more (and less joking, more somber) who is gaining popularity due to his respectful attitude.

Just saw a few items in one of the articles:

"The unusual nature of Mr Edgar's job has caught the eye of the entertainment industry and he has signed a deal for it to be made into a movie or drama series."

"When priests and funeral directors have tried to prevent Mr Edgar from delivering his secrets, he has not let that stop him delivering on his contract with the deceased."

"That means that I've arranged previously to have the body of my client taken away and cremated or buried at a private ceremony."

I'm pulling all these quotes from this article.
Personally, I think I'd draw the line at delivering a message/humor/etc... and would back out (on moral grounds) if it involves breaking/entering or anything that could get me shot. Consider me selfish, but I'd prefer to live afterwards and not have to worry about my own funeral for a while.

Lyinx

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 28, 2019
Lancaster County, PA
Honestly, delivering a bombshell probably wouldn't be that dangerous, because the people there don't know you personally, and you would (most likely) identify yourself before dropping the bomb (you would want them to understand why your up there and talking)

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I came upon this today and had to share it with my Fastlane friends. Please don't laugh....... this is deadly serious.

A man in Queensland Australia saw a need that maybe many people could relate to, but it seems that nobody has ever made a business out of it.

The need was for honest talking at funerals. Here's how he does it:
  • He visits people who are on their deathbeds in hospital. I don't know how he gets to know who is dying, but maybe he has good contacts in hospitals.
  • He interviews them, asking if there is anything they want said at the funeral other than the trite eulogies or wishes engineered by family members. In other words: What are your real last wishes?
  • For legal self protection he records the interviews.
  • He charges the dying person $10,000 to fulfill their wish to have those real wishes spoken.
  • When the funeral is under way he steps up to the microphone being used by the minister or MC, and tells them he is there at the request of the deceased who has asked him to read out his/her real last wishes.
  • Sometimes he tells all those standing behind the microphone to go and join the rest of the mourners.
  • Then he reads out his list, much to the chagrin of the vested interests who have said or would say otherwise.
He has a thriving business. His customers all die, but there are always more potential customers waiting, and as his reputation grows, so does his list of customers.

Walter
P.S. Is this fastlane? He doesn't even finish up with an email list.
I just had a tenant who died 2 days ago. I took his wife on a long trip so she could be at his side while he spent his last day in the hospital. His family is at odds with his wife over how she handling his arrangements. I think your guy's business model would everything more painful for those who are left.

Lyinx

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 28, 2019
Lancaster County, PA
I just had a tenant who died 2 days ago. I took his wife on a long trip so she could be at his side while he spent his last day in the hospital. His family is at odds with his wife over how she handling his arrangements. I think your guy's business model would everything more painful for those who are left.
have it in a will - or have it written down somehow (where your wife knows where it is) saves a lot of confusion and family troubles (especially if a divorce was involved at any point)

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
$10,000 is nothing when it isn't your money. People buy life insurance, and a company can be designated as a beneficiary. This can be done even with multiple beneficiaries, so only a small portion needs to be designated toward the business for services. It may not require any modification to a policy except changing beneficiary percentages. The monthly payment amount may not need to increase at all depending on the type of policy.

There are policies for people young and old, and selling life insurance can be its own path to wealth. So maybe this is two separate businesses where one feeds into the other - life insurance with an option to add the other business's services, and to pay for those services by selecting the other business as a partial beneficiary. This is how cryopreservation contracts are usually funded and secured because cryopreservation starts around $35,000. At the same time, cryopreservation for people who pay in cash is around $28,000, so technically you can serve all income ranges.

Some life insurance policies build cash value the longer an individual maintains the policy. That cash value can be invested in different ways, for instance, paying for the policy when payments lapse, or as an additional death proceed, or even as retirement benefits. They can also be tax-free.

There will be some legalities to work out, but as a life insurance salesperson, you can sell to anybody with a steady income and collect recurring monthly payments over the course of a lifetime while offering them your other business's services.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.