The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Story of A Young Doctor: The Day I Realized I was in the Slowlane

doctango

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Dec 23, 2021
When I was a kid, I strongly believed that fulfilling my dream of becoming a doctor would solve all my problems, that I could finally get the respect and financial status I deserve.

After being bullied at school for years, I built a lot of anger and resentment inside me. I wanted to get revenge and show the world I am able to succeed by myself. Nothing could stop me.

The road was long and arduous but I enjoyed every moment. I studied days and night 7/7, working hectic nightshifts at ER, enduring humiliation by superiors, selective exams...I've never felt like sacrifice even though medical trainees in France are treated like sh*t, paid less than 5$/h and doing the jobs nobody want to do because it is the normal price to pay to get "free" education.

After 11 years of studies I finally graduated last year and started working in public hospital as a fellow Oncologist.

At 28 I fulfilled my dream and I was quite happy. Not because I took revenge on those who looked down on me but because I felt bless I have a job in which I can build genuine and deep human connections with total strangers. Patients with cancer are incredibly resilient and I learn from them as much as I do my best to heal them.

A few months into my new job, I lost interest. Boring 9-6, endless meetings, protocols, lack of perspective, lack of activity, lazy colleagues, suboptimal care due to budget cuts and staff shortage, ridicule pay (3000€/month), had no freedom at all...Bored and depressed about my future, I felt like a failure. I secretly wanted to leave but had no plans and no guts.

Few months ago, an unexpected twist happened. I was kicked out of the hospital because of the vaccine mandate. First I was astonished and sad. I left overnight and nobody care, no message, nothing, I could be dead they wouldn't be touched.

But then I had plenty of time to reflect and I realized that life made me the gift of freedom. It's actually a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I wasn't happy in that mediocre life, own by my boss, by the hospital, by the society.

Today I'm writing a new chapter of my life. I'm not allowed to practice medicine anymore and I don't care. My freedom of choice prevails over anything else. I'm a lot more than a degree/job. I can reinvent myself. I have nothing to lose, I'm not scared to start from scratch.

This time I will take the driver seat.

I'm still brainstorming ideas of projects but one thing is sure, I want to continue giving support to patients with cancer one way or another.

Technical and scientific progress are exponential and the more treatments are sophisticated the less time is dedicated to holistic approaches (understanding patients' emotional state, diet, physical activities etc).

Patients rarely complaint but if we dig deeper, they all suffer from internal struggles and anxiety that are neglected most of the time. That makes the difference. They need to feel reassured and in control of their disease.

I'm very excited about that new adventure and looking forward to sharing it with you!

Merry Christmas and happy holidays!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
When I was a kid, I strongly believed that fulfilling my dream of becoming a doctor would solve all my problems, that I could finally get the respect and financial status I deserve.

After being bullied at school for years, I built a lot of anger and resentment inside me. I wanted to get revenge and show the world I am able to succeed by myself. Nothing could stop me.

The road was long and arduous but I enjoyed every moment. I studied days and night 7/7, working hectic nightshifts at ER, enduring humiliation by superiors, selective exams...I've never felt like sacrifice even though medical trainees in France are treated like sh*t, paid less than 5$/h and doing the jobs nobody want to do because it is the normal price to pay to get "free" education.

After 11 years of studies I finally graduated last year and started working in public hospital as a fellow Oncologist.

At 28 I fulfilled my dream and I was quite happy. Not because I took revenge on those who looked down on me but because I felt bless I have a job in which I can build genuine and deep human connections with total strangers. Patients with cancer are incredibly resilient and I learn from them as much as I do my best to heal them.

A few months into my new job, I lost interest. Boring 9-6, endless meetings, protocols, lack of perspective, lack of activity, lazy colleagues, suboptimal care due to budget cuts and staff shortage, ridicule pay (3000€/month), had no freedom at all...Bored and depressed about my future, I felt like a failure. I secretly wanted to leave but had no plans and no guts.

Few months ago, an unexpected twist happened. I was kicked out of the hospital because of the vaccine mandate. First I was astonished and sad. I left overnight and nobody care, no message, nothing, I could be dead they wouldn't be touched.

But then I had plenty of time to reflect and I realized that life made me the gift of freedom. It's actually a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I wasn't happy in that mediocre life, own by my boss, by the hospital, by the society.

Today I'm writing a new chapter of my life. I'm not allowed to practice medicine anymore and I don't care. My freedom of choice prevails over anything else. I'm a lot more than a degree/job. I can reinvent myself. I have nothing to lose, I'm not scared to start from scratch.

I'm still brainstorming ideas of projects but one thing is sure, I want to continue giving support to patients with cancer one way or another.

Technical and scientific progress are exponential and the more treatments are sophisticated the less time is dedicated to holistic approaches (understanding patients' emotional state, diet, physical activities etc).

Patients rarely complaint but if we dig deeper, they all suffer from internal struggles and anxiety that are neglected most of the time. That makes the difference. They need to feel reassured and in control of their disease.

I'm very excited about that new adventure and looking forward to sharing it with you!

Why can't you practice medicine anymore? I understand the mandate totally, but how does that affect you not working somewhere else. Just curious.

Hope you find something new you enjoy.

doctango

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Dec 23, 2021
Why can't you practice medicine anymore? I understand the mandate totally, but how does that affect you not working somewhere else. Just curious.

Hope you find something new you enjoy.
I've never considered escaping as an option. I love my job but it's not worth it. Besides the mandate is enforced in many countries now

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I've never considered escaping as an option. I love my job but it's not worth it. Besides the mandate is enforced in many countries now
I'd probably do the same. I think people will become aware there are other options, but hanging on to the old beliefs that M.J. talks about in his books.
I hope all is well with you, and everything works out for the better.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska

Keep your license if you can. There's a lot of stuff you can do with your training. There are people all around the world who need you.

I know of a pair of twins who were surgeons. They left their practices and started patenting surgery tools for the other doctors. They did great!

I went to law school and never practiced as an attorney. I set up an expert witness practice since I had years of experience in real estate. I did better financially than the attorneys for whom I consulted.

I'm a paying member of an online group led by a doctor who specializes in holistic medicine and prevention through lifestyle. I enjoy the discussions.

What kind of services can you provide for people going through some of the most difficult days of their lives?

Best of luck!

TZA

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Oct 14, 2021

Maybe you can open your own clinic and practice on your own. It may not be exactly FASTlane but it will give you more control.

doctango

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Dec 23, 2021
Keep your license if you can. There's a lot of stuff you can do with your training. There are people all around the world who need you.

I know of a pair of twins who were surgeons. They left their practices and started patenting surgery tools for the other doctors. They did great!

I went to law school and never practiced as an attorney. I set up an expert witness practice since I had years of experience in real estate. I did better financially than the attorneys for whom I consulted.

I'm a paying member of an online group led by a doctor who specializes in holistic medicine and prevention through lifestyle. I enjoy the discussions.

What kind of services can you provide for people going through some of the most difficult days of their lives?

Best of luck!
Thanks. I still have a valid license and using it to replace doctors during their vacation but it's a bit risky (someone reported me once) and precarious. I don't want to be a substitute my entire life either.

Indeed secondary roads can lead to success as well as the so called royal roads, if not faster. Hope you're doing fine with your practice!

The best service I can provide to patients is to help them build a strong mindset via a book for example. They could also use some guidance through their journey: a mobile app to help them organize their appointments and follow-up results? To manage side effects? Or an app for doctors: guidelines, drugs interactions...

doctango

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Dec 23, 2021
Maybe you can open your own clinic and practice on your own. It may not be exactly FASTlane but it will give you more control.
It's not that easy in Radiation Oncology, I can't open a clinic as it requires a lot of expensive facilities, large staff and legal authorizations. There are already plenty of centers scattered accross the country, it's a highly competitive market...

So I'm stuck right now but I'm studying acupuncture so I can work on my own in a few years

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Thanks. I still have a valid license and using it to replace doctors during their vacation but it's a bit risky (someone reported me once) and precarious. I don't want to be a substitute my entire life either.

Indeed secondary roads can lead to success as well as the so called royal roads, if not faster. Hope you're doing fine with your practice!

The best service I can provide to patients is to help them build a strong mindset via a book for example. They could also use some guidance through their journey: a mobile app to help them organize their appointments and follow-up results? To manage side effects? Or an app for doctors: guidelines, drugs interactions...
Thanks. I've been retired for a long time. I am a professional real estate investor these days.

Good luck. I bet there's a lot of things you can do with your education!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Your story is terribly sad that years of study are down the tubes because you refuse to give bureaucrats domain over your medical decisions. Can you immigrate to another country that needs someone of your skills?

Your country has betrayed you and you should show them no loyalty.

doctango

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Dec 23, 2021
Your story is terribly sad that years of study are down the tubes because you refuse to give bureaucrats domain over your medical decisions. Can you immigrate to another country that needs someone of your skills?

Your country has betrayed you and you should show them no loyalty.
Yes this government is disgusting but I'm not letting them destroy my life. Want to fire me? Fine, I'll do something else. I don't think they can stand few more years without thousands of doctors and nurses. The healthcare system is already collapsing.

If I immigrate, to go where? This madness is global. I'm not ready to start from scratch again.

I'm not willing to live like a refugee. I'm going to resist until I recover all of my rights.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
If I immigrate, to go where? This madness is global.

There are some states in the US that have not been overwhelmed by COVID hysteria. It's business as usual. I'm hearing parts of Mexico too. There might be a few other countries as well, this thread might be of interest.

You have a great skill as a doctor, hate to see it wasted.

rpeck90

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
449%
Nov 26, 2016
United Kingdom
I left overnight and nobody care, no message, nothing, I could be dead they wouldn't be touched.
This should be your wakeup call.

--

In terms of your movement forward, there is a YouTube person who used to be a doctor then quit, so you may be able to gain insights from his experience: -

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZOVLrLXKCE&ab_channel=AliAbdaal

He also talks about TMF : -

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx2vyi4JcV0&t=1s

If you're interested in ideas for medicine "marketing" in France, Marine Lorphelin is an influencer I respect: -

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAxqCdoFp4c

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKfD1DPryAM

She contributed to a book: -
-

A word of caution.

Going your own way is not easy and you will end up with you going through difficult circumstances, especially if you decide to go against the status quo (where the big money is).

Whilst MJ covers the process well in his books, you must appreciate that his is an American audience and, consequently, if you're not in the US, creating opportunity is going to be different.

The most valuable thing you can do is find a "hustle" you can get paid for without depending on a job/employer.

Your medical training, obviously, is something you should use in this regard but it could be anything.

Your "hustle" is your fall-back, which you can use if you need money or have to push to a greater goal. You use the money from it to build your "fastlane" business.

To find/build a hustle, the best thing is to do freelance work in a specialized field. I do a lot of high level software development (stuff that's far too complicated for beginners) and can undercut agencies.

All of the money I've earned from this has been put into my business, with the purchase of high level domain names, box & book printing, artwork, marketing, R&D, product insights etc.

Please, please, please, do NOT do something superficial that wastes your talent. "Web Design" may sound great, but if you've already put in years into achieving competency in a certain field (oncology), you owe it to yourself to continue building upon that. Don't get sucked into the "quick money" vortex.

Finally, as someone who lost a childhood friend to Leukaemia, and whose mother had (and survived) two bouts of cancer, I vehemently respect your adherence to helping those blighted with such a devastating disease. Thank you for giving these people hope in their most difficult days.

drkenny

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Sep 2, 2021
Yes this government is disgusting but I'm not letting them destroy my life. Want to fire me? Fine, I'll do something else. I don't think they can stand few more years without thousands of doctors and nurses. The healthcare system is already collapsing.

If I immigrate, to go where? This madness is global. I'm not ready to start from scratch again.

I'm not willing to live like a refugee. I'm going to resist until I recover all of my rights.
As a doctor who is practicing in Canada, telemedicine is very common right now. Especially as COVID 19 omicron fears are growing by the day. Obviously there are many medical visits and procedures that must be done in person, but people are much more used to (And some are really liking) doing video or audio/telephone medical appointments.

I live and work in Canada, where we have 100% social medicine. I have figured out a way to include private billing in my clinic - but it is walking a tight rope (And I am balancing very well!!!). I believe the French healthcare system includes public funding as well as private pay healthcare.

You are obviously on your own journey around what you may choose to do for your income/fastlane. I am going to suggest this - as maybe it could work for you for your 'day job', at least for now; and maybe it could lead to a fastlane/business opportunity.

Since you are knowledgeable and are an expert for a serious medical condition (Cancer) - which is life threatening, and since most people end up not getting enough time with their doctors to ask the important questions they need to/want to - about life and death issues - I suggest considering a private telemedicine consulting practice - to anyone in France - to discuss their disorder, the risks and benefits of medical oncology (Chemo), and radiation oncology, etc. You can share strategies to manage side effects of their treatments; address holistic issues, etc. You could bill privately for this - and do it over zoom (or equivalent). People may have private insurance that won't cover this - but as long as you are going for the right client/patient - they won't care (ie higher net worth individuals who need this and aren't concerned about the cost).

I would aim to start communicating your story- that you left the hospitals as you couldn't stand the rules/limitations and how patients were moved through like cattle - and treated like they were on a factory conveyor belt (you may not want to share that a vaccine mandate led you to leave - but you can craft your story however it best suits you and your future clients). You know that people have questions and they don't get the time they need to have their questions, concerns and fears addressed. You want to support people in a different way. You have left the chaos of the hospital system to meet people's needs in a new way that the current healthcare system can't. I would aim to start some communication on social media or your own blog; or aim for something like the Huffington Post -and put out good content, and then aim to get onto a local radio show, or a local community TV show/newspaper. The focus should just be on how hard it is for patients and families to get the support they need. Better if you can pull some French data about the wait times, lack of care, patient fears that aren't addressed etc etc. By hooking into data from your country - and addressing the major problems that people struggle with - you can get some media attention, which will help you to get started and get some clients.

If you like this, and get going with it - of course you can ask, what else would my patients/clients want? Maybe a nutritionist/dietician? maybe a zoom yoga/stretching class (the "do it from home post breast cancer upper body yoga to get moving again" - you can market it that they will want to do it from home after the pandemic anyway - because it can be hard after breast cancer treatment to go out to yoga, etc.) Maybe you get a psychologist/psychotherapist who can provide the crucial psychological support on zoom/telemedicine, etc.

Anyway - I hope this helps you to think about options. It may not be of interest to you - but I got onto a bit of a roll :)

doctango

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Dec 23, 2021
Thank you all for your insights and valuable advice. It means a lot to me.

This should be your wakeup call.

--

Yes you made a point. I shouldn't fall into the "quick money" trap and waste my time in medical marketing/web design which doesn't bring any added value.

I don't really care about big money as I'm happy with what I already have. It may sound cheesy but my ultimate purpose in life is to make a positive impact on people. Seeing a patient smile again makes me 100x happier than a suitcase full of cash. I could use fastlane to help people on a greater scale, build something meaningful.

As a doctor who is practicing in Canada, telemedicine is very common right now. Especially as COVID 19 omicron fears are growing by the day. Obviously there are many medical visits and procedures that must be done in person, but people are much more used to (And some are really liking) doing video or audio/telephone medical appointments.
It's actually a great idea as there is no telemedicine service available in Oncology but high demand. My only concern is that French people have a particular mindset toward healthcare. They take it for granted and very reluctant to pay even a small amount for the care they need. In their mind, everything has to be free (cancer is eligible to full coverage) and high quality. It would be interesting to carry out a survey among patients to know if they are willing to use a paid service to compensate the flaws of their medical care.

I know the road is going to be long and bumpy and my intentions might sound naive but until today sticking to my core values never failed me. I'll keep you posted along my journey (be patient though) !

doctango

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Dec 23, 2021
Hello,

it's been more than 2 years since my first post. I wanted to give an update.

Back then I just lost my job at the hospital as a physician because of the vaccine mandate (I'm French).

In between, lots of things has happened. I managed to do locums in private clinics for a year, hiding my V-status. I was completely isolated, it was a very dark period.

Last year I took a job at another public hospital despite the fact that I grew a lot resentment towards my colleagues and the whole system. I reached the point where I was degusted and depressed, I hated my job. Same mediocrity, cheap mentalities, ridiculous salary. I took this job because it gave me enough spare time to study acupuncture in a training I enrolled 3 years ago (I'm graduating this year).

Before even graduating, I decided to open acupuncture consultations in my department, on my own initiative. It's been 6 months, my schedule is full now. Patients are flowing. The problem is I do this on top of my main job (radiation oncology) but for free. The directors don't care about my project, my effort to make this official has met nothing but disregard. No recognition, nothing. Acupuncture is a very effective treatment for side effects of chemotherapy and radiotherapy, and it is very rare to find trained doctors in this area. On top of that, I am sick of working with psychopaths colleagues.

After one of them slandered me publicly, I decided to resign, quit the hospital and even my own specialty.

I am now at the end of the 2 month-notice and about to start my own acupuncture private practice next week. In parallel I'm building a funnel for an acupressure online course. It's hard but I know exactly what I want and I am determined to get it. I've never felt so good.

These 2 years have been tough, I cried a lot, I lost most of my friends, I felt humiliated and angry but I learned so much and I am proud of the things I achieved whilst sticking to my values.

My story isn't exactly a fastlane but I'm sure it will bloom very fast from now on!

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Hello,

it's been more than 2 years since my first post. I wanted to give an update.

Back then I just lost my job at the hospital as a physician because of the vaccine mandate (I'm French).

In between, lots of things has happened. I managed to do locums in private clinics for a year, hiding my V-status. I was completely isolated, it was a very dark period.

Last year I took a job at another public hospital despite the fact that I grew a lot resentment towards my colleagues and the whole system. I reached the point where I was degusted and depressed, I hated my job. Same mediocrity, cheap mentalities, ridiculous salary. I took this job because it gave me enough spare time to study acupuncture in a training I enrolled 3 years ago (I'm graduating this year).

Before even graduating, I decided to open acupuncture consultations in my department, on my own initiative. It's been 6 months, my schedule is full now. Patients are flowing. The problem is I do this on top of my main job (radiation oncology) but for free. The directors don't care about my project, my effort to make this official has met nothing but disregard. No recognition, nothing. Acupuncture is a very effective treatment for side effects of chemotherapy and radiotherapy, and it is very rare to find trained doctors in this area. On top of that, I am sick of working with psychopaths colleagues.

After one of them slandered me publicly, I decided to resign, quit the hospital and even my own specialty.G

I am now at the end of the 2 month-notice and about to start my own acupuncture private practice next week. In parallel I'm building a funnel for an acupressure online course. It's hard but I know exactly what I want and I am determined to get it. I've never felt so good.

These 2 years have been tough, I cried a lot, I lost most of my friends, I felt humiliated and angry but I learned so much and I am proud of the things I achieved whilst sticking to my values.

My story isn't exactly a fastlane but I'm sure it will bloom very fast from now on!
It doesn't have to be Fastlane. You are laying the foundations for your future success. You have done several things right. Now, leave your current job on a good note, and don't burn your bridges. By making your exit ramp while you worked and earned a living, you are smart. Do you have your own client list so you can hit the road running? You say you are building a funnel -- can you specialize in cancer patients? And therefore, charge more money? Can you become the expert in that area?

I have a similar story to yours. I went back to school when I was in my early 40s after my boys left home. I went to law school at night and on the weekends while I worked all day as a commercial RE appraiser. I met a man in one my classes who said he was a Forensic accountant. I pulled my chair up closer and asked a lot of questions. By the time I graduated from law school, I had a large Expert Witness and Litigation Support practice in RE going -- dovetailing my appraisal practice. I was working 60 hours a week in my RE stuff and carrying 9 grad units. No one at school knew what I was doing and they didn't need to know. I'm retired now, but it's one of the best moves I ever made in my business life.

Good luck!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...