The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Quagmire Marketing Loophole: Keeps Customers Hooked For Years!

Marketing, social media, advertising

Evelio

MarketingLoopholes.com
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
May 21, 2014
Miami

The Quagmire Marketing Loophole: Keeps Customers Hooked For Years!​

Warning: Please use this psychological loophole responsibly, and always focus on the benefit for your customer.

Imagine you bought a ticket to a concert for $100 bucks a couple of weeks ago.

Now, it's the day of the concert.

It's raining like crazy, you're feeling lousy, and the traffic is a total mess.

But what do you do?

If you’re like most people, you still go to that concert.

Sounds nuts, right? But we all do it.

Welcome to the club of the Quagmire Loophole.

It's like a glitch in our brain's decision-making software.

We keep thinking about what we've already put in – time, money, effort – and it messes up our choices.

Here's where it gets interesting.

In marketing, this psychological principle can make customers stick with your products for years.

Get someone to invest just a little in your product –

…a bit of time…

effort...

…a small purchase…

You can offer things like exclusive early access.

The FastLane Forums uses this loophole in a very ethical way.

If you notice, we all have a "user power rating".

The more value you give, the more your power rating increases.

This is a combination of the Quagmire Loophole and our desire for status in society.

We all crave to improve our status...

And this system tabs into the quagmire loophole.

It makes people want to stick around the community as they grow their status rating.

The higher our rating, the more we feel like sticking around...

...because of the feeling of having invested time and value...

That small investment makes us feel like we put something into it and don't want to let it go.

Once invested, we’re more likely to stick around, purchase things, and even become loyal fans.

Happy Marketing
Evelio

Ps. Let me know if you're enjoying this type of post and what you like about them so I can keep posting them if there is interest...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Evelio

MarketingLoopholes.com
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
May 21, 2014
Miami
What is the point of just giving a different name to the sunk-cost fallacy? Also, you call it the Quagmire Marketing Loophole but in your graphic it's spelled Quadmire. You must have missed my newsletter on the Proofreading Marketing Loophole.
Good catch...

The idea is to turn a psychology term and give it a marketing name. An experiment of sorts.

Ps. I'll make sure to subscribe

Jon822

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Nov 21, 2016
Good catch...

The idea is to turn a psychology term and give it a marketing name. An experiment of sorts.

Ps. I'll make sure to subscribe
First and foremost, I'm glad you are thick-skinned enough to realize a mistake and accept some lighthearted banter about it. It is very respectable and demonstrates a person who doesn't take him or herself too seriously and is willing to put his/her ego aside to make improvements.

With that said, I understand your desire to put your own branding on the sunk-cost fallacy. But my main point was that there is not enough value in a newsletter that simply explains the sunk-cost fallacy under a different name. To readers who are already familiar with it, it may come across as low effort.

I am open to being wrong, though. Maybe I am overestimating the average person's familiarity with the sunk-cost fallacy. In that case, my only suggestion is to be more thorough about proofreading. Best of luck with your newsletter!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jon822

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Nov 21, 2016
Personally, I think this newsletter would have been a lot more valuable as the following:

"The Sunk-Cost Fallacy's Role in Customer Retention"

<Briefly explain the sunk-cost fallacy>

<Continue with the rest of your text>

Just my thoughts, though. All the best!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content