The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The one thing holding you back (its not being lazy)

Anything related to matters of the mind

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
281%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany
Alright sorry for the title, my inner Youtuber got the better of me.
But what is that thing?

It's a lack of courage or fear. I noticed this for myself today at the gym. I was thinking why I am not making any progress towards most of my goals right now.
Then it hit me: I am avoiding the things that would force me to leave my comfort zone. I really want to get a girlfriend but I'm doing everything besides asking girls out.
I also want to show my mother some entrepreneurial wins so she takes me seriously (btw I don't judge her for how she is, she's the best mom I could ask for and I have done nothing to deserve being taken serious).
After that I though about the only time I actually made some money and that was when I did something uncomfortable.

So the key is not just discipline but also courage. One without the other leads to being stuck.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ElectricFox

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Jan 31, 2022
What helps me when I don't have the courage to do something is to "split myself" (mentally) into two versions of myself: an actor and a spectator. As the spectator, I command my body to act and as the actor, I obey mindlessly. My spectator-self then only has to amusingly watch my actor-self act and my actor-self only has to act without thinking. This way, there is less emotional space for fear. I know it sounds schizophrenic but it worked for me--and hopefully it might work for other people--and if not, it remains an interesting experiment.

AppleCider

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Nov 27, 2022
What helps me when I don't have the courage to do something is to "split myself" (mentally) into two versions of myself: an actor and a spectator. As the spectator, I command my body to act and as the actor, I obey mindlessly. My spectator-self then only has to amusingly watch my actor-self act and my actor-self only has to act without thinking. This way, there is less emotional space for fear. I know it sounds schizophrenic but it worked for me--and hopefully it might work for other people--and if not, it remains an interesting experiment.
Whether or not Nike put this much thought into their trademark, it resonates with what you've written:

Just do it.

For a while I made an effort to mindlessly do less-than-appealing tasks by just doing them. Don't think. Don't judge. Don't give yourself the opportunity to be apprehensive about the task. However, there is almost always still a level of emotional attachment to the task at hand that makes it difficult completely eliminate the apprehension. Your actor-spectator mentality sounds like a great shortcut to removing even more emotional attachment for long enough to form a habit out of the task in question. I will be trying this.

Regarding @Henry Roe.'s comment on fear, if it's still difficult for people to garner the courage and reduce the fear, I like to remember Glennon Doyle's quotation:

“If you can’t beat fear, just do it scared.”

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.