The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The *New* Endangered Species... Your Job.

LateStarter

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Canada
If human factors are worth so much, why do people use ATM's? Why do people pump their own gas? Why do people buy anything online? If what you are saying was true small town America, with all it's local Mom & Pop shops, would still be bountiful today. I don't say this to poke holes in your theories or opinions but merely to present that you're trying to look at the future through the lens and limitations of the present.

Take the phone automation example that you stated. I think you're assuming that its the best tech we'll ever see for that application. That's not the case. Just because the current iteration sucks doesn't mean that future versions will also. Imagine what future versions of Siri/Ok Google could be like. Now imagine that interface to this kind of a system. Would it still suck? If current voice recognition systems continue to advance at the exponential rates they have been, it won't be very long until 80+% of the people probably wouldn't even know it was an AI system answering their calls.

Without sounding too much like a futurist, AI, infinite computing, IoT are all going through explosive changes right now. It's not just the "useless people" that need to worry about their jobs. Neural networks are enabling computers to learn without the benefit of prior history. Computers are beginning to be able to program software and optimize algorithms. While this is still in it's relative infancy, that growth path is also exponential. As access to information grows and is democratized, and computing power continues along Moore's path, computers will be able to analyze and determine optimal solutions for highly complex problems. This will enable computers to start replacing white collar workers as well as blue. I believe that it will start with roles that are more technical than creative. Don't believe me? Look at the current Qualcomm Tricorder X Prize. If doctors can begin to be replaced, or deemed unnecessary in some limited capacity to start with by this device, who is next?

Need more evidence? How about an algorithm replacing staff to prescreen job applications? "Our analysis of 17 studies of applicant evaluations shows that a simple equation outperforms human decisions by at least 25%." While it's not a robot in the traditional physical sense like you're alluding to, it's certainly able to replace a person's role in the company.

Expand your mind!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ClaytonAlbright

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 25, 2015
Cumming, GA
If human factors are worth so much, why do people use ATM's? Why do people pump their own gas? Why do people buy anything online? If what you are saying was true small town America, with all it's local Mom & Pop shops, would still be bountiful today. I don't say this to poke holes in your theories or opinions but merely to present that you're trying to look at the future through the lens and limitations of the present.

Take the phone automation example that you stated. I think you're assuming that its the best tech we'll ever see for that application. That's not the case. Just because the current iteration sucks doesn't mean that future versions will also. Imagine what future versions of Siri/Ok Google could be like. Now imagine that interface to this kind of a system. Would it still suck? If current voice recognition systems continue to advance at the exponential rates they have been, it won't be very long until 80+% of the people probably wouldn't even know it was an AI system answering their calls.

See #2 in my original post. Also "Mom & Pops" shops are alive and well. In fact small business still make up a large bulk of our GDP. Just because we read the big ones in the news, doesn't mean there's still millions of small businesses still churning it out in our economy. Our perception is skewed through the mass media.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.