The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The moment of truth ...MAC or PC?

DisLife

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Sep 6, 2008
Couldn't resist: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Id_kGL3M5Cg]YouTube - South Park Mac vs. PC[/ame]

Personally, I'd say get the mac and if there's files you can't get on the mac, you can either live without the files or you'll find a way to get to them. For what you said you want to do, the Mac is probably the better tool

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

rico

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Aug 14, 2007
Buckinghamshire, UK
I think nowadays that both Macs and PCs, if specced/used properly will do everything very well.

You can run XP/Vista on a mac so no worries about software issues either.

I just LOVE the way a mac works. Just simple things like the way you access apps along the bottom to the menu system to just about everything. Every now and again I have to use PCs and they're getting better (Vista impressed me) but they still don't 'feel' as nice to use as a mac.

I'm at the computer most of the day, so I prefer to use a mac as I enjoy using it more.

I'm also yet to not find a mac version of software. Even NeoOffice provides 99% of what I need instead of Word/Excel etc. It's free too.

MJ - if you like the iPhone, get a mac. You'll love it. :smx9:

NoMoneyDown

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Aug 28, 2007
Round Rock, TX
General User: Mac

A little edgier user: Ubuntu Linux

I bought a cheap laptop at a retail store two weeks ago that came with Windows Vista. After creating the recovery disks, I wiped it out and put on (FREE) Ubuntu 9.04. I then installed the FREE virtualization app, VirtualBox, and installed Windows XP as a virtual image.

I like Ubuntu because (1) it is Linux, (2) it is perhaps the most user-friendly (Linux) OS out there today, and (3) there are 100's, if not 1,000's, of FREE applications you can install.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
PC's have much more choices! ;)

-Russ H.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o08Vruurhk]YouTube - Mac vs. PC: ELIMINATION[/ame]

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
JScott said:
In fact, my PC crashed the same day yours did. It spent two days in the hands of a repair company trying to retrieve my data that I hadn't backed up for several weeks. That likely wouldn't have happened if I had had a Mac...
Have you guys heard about Time Machine?

Pretty slick stuff.

Comes free w/the mac, Terrence. ;)

-Russ H.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGYpU9sbm6k]YouTube - Mac vs PC Commercial - Time Machine[/ame]

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Well its a done deal. I bought an iMac from Amazon and should have it by Wednesday. If it runs as nice as my iPhone, I'm sure I will love it.

One PC down, only one left to go.

BTW, this morning sealed the deal: My Windows based laptop kept freezing and this morning I wasted 3 hours trying to get it to print. If that wasn't an OMEN telling me to switch, I don't know what is!

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
Have you guys heard about Time Machine?

Pretty slick stuff.

Comes free w/the mac, Terrence. ;)

-Russ H.

YouTube - Mac vs PC Commercial - Time Machine

Time Machine is cool - especially as a marketing tool for Apple, but I use a simple system that accomplishes the same thing, only it encrypts my data and pushes it up to Amazon for storage.

'Cuz if the computer is stolen or hardrive is completely toast, Time Machine isn't going to help at all.

btw, the system I use cost me $20 Jungle Disk - Reliable online backup and storage powered by Amazon S3 and Rackspace - JungleDisk (works on Mac too) and Amazon charges me about $2/month to store 40gigs of data.

My peace of mind has increased dramatically since putting this comprehensive backup system in place.

ZDS

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 2, 2008
Grats on the choice!

The power of social networks!

:)

neverfastenough

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Jul 17, 2008
Ca
Time Machine is cool - especially as a marketing tool for Apple, but I use a simple system that accomplishes the same thing, only it encrypts my data and pushes it up to Amazon for storage.

'Cuz if the computer is stolen or hardrive is completely toast, Time Machine isn't going to help at all.

You know Time Machine is backed up to an external hard drive, right?

PaulRobert

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 15, 2009
New Jersey
Well its a done deal. I bought an iMac from Amazon and should have it by Wednesday. If it runs as nice as my iPhone, I'm sure I will love it.

One PC down, only one left to go.

BTW, this morning sealed the deal: My Windows based laptop kept freezing and this morning I wasted 3 hours trying to get it to print. If that wasn't an OMEN telling me to switch, I don't know what is!

Congrats MJ! :hurray: If you have any questions about the Mac, just ask, Im typing on my iMac right now. :)

Oo and BTW my morning was great, I turn on my Vaio and it says Vista did not turn on properly, then it took me to some instillation that looked like Pre-Windows 2000. Everything is fixed now, just one more unknown Vista problem. :404:

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
You know Time Machine is backed up to an external hard drive, right?

I know it can be (if you have an external HD) but the basic implementation is just on the same computer. Also in the case of robbery, or fire, an external HD in the same location will likely be of little help.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Actually, Jon, Time Machine was designed to work primarily w/an external drive. It "saves" to your internal when you're not connected, but immediately transfers when you hook up to the external.

They even have a nifty new wireless hard drive, for folks who don't want to be encumbered by wires:

Apple - Time Capsule - Automatic backup for Mac and an 802.11n Wi-Fi base station

I like your idea, though-- we'll be checking out the auto save to the web from amazon-- sounds very worth it!

-Russ H.

neverfastenough

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Jul 17, 2008
Ca
I know it can be (if you have an external HD) but the basic implementation is just on the same computer. Also in the case of robbery, or fire, an external HD in the same location will likely be of little help.

Agreed, which is why I do multiple backups to different sources (primarily Time Capsule and Dropbox which syncs files across multiple computers flawlessly)

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
MJ,

Congrats and welcome to the community of Mac-heads. :)

(Next time we're together, I'll teach you the secret handshake) ;)

-Russ H.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Ok so I've had my iMac for 1 day and so far I will reserve and end judgment. I will need to get used to it which I hear is required for a week or so for long-time PC users.

1) It was very easy to setup. The mess of chords and cables seem to have disappeared.

2) Things do appear to be easier once you modify your PC-based know-how to MAC. For example, the backspace/delete button is different, the command/control differences, the desktop, the folders vs C/Drive. These are just nuances that I will need to reprogram myself for. No big deal.

3) The unit seems very fast like computers should be. When you switch the TV channel, it is instantaneous. On this Mac, switches (opening programs, switching windows, etc) are like this. On my PC, I could switch a window and have to wait 30 seconds for it to churn out.

4) Lack of software - The shelf at the electronic store had one book shelf of available MAC software ... PC had 4 aisles. I knew this going in and will have to adjust.

5) Firewall -- where is it? Amazing that all the BS crap PC needs just to get running doesn't seem to be required on a MAC.

6) Running VMWARE for Windows software -- if I do this, will I need to get a firewall? I've read conflicting reports on various sites ... some say YES, others say NO. Running Windows on the MAC then opens up all those vulnerabilities.

Overall, I think I made a good decision despite having some learning-curve challenges.

Again, Ill report back in a few.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
MJ-

Most of us Mac users went online for software about 10 years ago. I don't say this to be sarcastic--- the mac community is smaller, so less software is printed up. Big internet sites are the best distribution channel for this.

Or, you can go to an Apple store if'n you want to see something in action.

Much of the mac software is avail for a free download for a 30-day mule copy. This is a great way to find out if you like a program or not.

And for the really complicated programs, there are great online tutorials. :)

-Russ H.

PS Some of my fave places for mac stuff online:

Tigerdirect (mostly hardware)
Maczone.com
Versiontracker.com
Macupdates.com
Apple store
Amazon

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
ClubMac.com and MacMall.com are also good resources.

I've had my MacBook Pro since February, and I absolutely love it. I have only had to call up customer service once (I was having a problem sending emails through the Mail application), and the support was great. It turned out that I was just using an invalid email address, but the tech support agent was extremely helpful and accommodating.

When I had my Gateway laptop, I was constantly calling up tech support every week with a new problem. My experience with my Mac has been vastly different, and I would recommend trying out a Mac to anybody.

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
MJ-

Most of us Mac users went online for software about 10 years ago. I don't say this to be sarcastic--- the mac community is smaller, so less software is printed up. Big internet sites are the best distribution channel for this.

Software sold on shelves isn't the only option though. There are many great open source applications that in my opinion match the capabilities of paid software. While they might not come with all the random "extras" it's important to remember less is often more (and being open source more than likely someone has a addon for it anyways).

If there is any software you're thinking about buying just post here I'm sure many of the people here or myself could suggest some open source alternative.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Thank everyone for their recommendations ...

I LOVE MY MAC!!

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
24" iMac!

Redshft

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Nov 5, 2007
Greenville, NC
Cograts!

If I would have been here sooner I would have also told you Mac. I have a Macbook Pro and will not look back to a PC. I still have a desktop tower sitting next to my desk that I have been meaning to fix for shits and giggles. It froze up and went haywire a few weeks ago due to a virus. I shut it down and figured I'd reformat later. Now, it won't even turn on.

Anyway, if you are looking for software, the Apple store(online and retail) are great places to look. As said earlier also, Macmall.com is also a great place for software.

Apple.com also has great tutorials for beginning Mac users. Just browse the Support directory or do a search for tutorials.

Macrumors.com is one of my favorite Apple forums, I've gotten a lot of help there and answers to questions.

Learn the shortcuts and it gets better. I never really used keyboard shortcuts on PC, but for some reason on my Mac it just seems easier. For example, 'COMMAND' + 'TAB' will pull up all the icons of all your applications running. Hold down 'COMMAND' to keep the list up, and hit 'TAB' to select through the different applications. 'F3' will open and close all your open windows at once to gain quick access to the desktop.

Anyway, congrats again. Now go put that Apple sticker on the back window of the Lambo :p (j/k)

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
And now my laptop is starting to freeze up and the wireless connection no longer works ... and my laptop is barely 2 years old.

PaulRobert

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 15, 2009
New Jersey
Well the Law of Attraction works. My VAIO's graphic card shot yesterday and I got this welcoming screen :)

image65.png

Thank God I had everything backed up on an external hard drive. This is my last PC, after this only Macs. Now it's time to go call crappy tech support!! :urock2:

PS- Glad your loving your Mac MJ!

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Ah, the blue screen of death . . .

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Id_kGL3M5Cg]YouTube - South Park Mac vs. PC[/ame]

-Russ H.

PaulRobert

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 15, 2009
New Jersey
AHA Thanks Russ that put me in a good mood. Its as if every PC laptop starts screwing up after 2 years. It will be 2 years next month and I'm ready to "rebuild it from scratch." :404:

Merkin Man

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jul 25, 2007
Williamsville, NY
I just went out and purchased a Macbook Pro tonight. What a great computer! I'm still learning the Apple way of doing things but I know I am going to love this computer. Extremely user-friendly.

Kind of makes me wonder why I never purchased one before now!

To all of you who have been on board with Apples all along I say kudos to you. I'm already eyeing up the iMacs to eventually replace my desktop PC.

Andy

WildFlower

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Aug 21, 2009
Los Angeles Area
Bought our first mac product last June, an iPhone for my son. He dropped it once only 3 feet.. it shattered - no one would believe us (AND THE AT&T guy flat out lied to us! I was not happy, it shouldn't be that fragile), I had to pay another $200 to replace it. Just the other day, the iPhone wouldn't load one morning and he couldn't use the phone.. he did all the technical things to get it working... had to take it to the store and they gave him a new one.

So... with that said. I do LOVE it... I love the capabilities of it.. and have wanted one for some of the applications I would like to use.. but, I figured let the kid figure it out first! Then I will get one when I am ready... if I like it... so far not sure. ... it keeps breaking.

As far as desktop... hmmm I'd be hard pressed to switch because I put it together.. I have full control over my computer... etc. I have it set up with removable harddrives etc. You can't just pop open a Mac and change out parts. So... not sure I would switch.. maybe one day when I don't like playing with computers.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
mac