The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Last Lecture

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
Endicott, New York, United States
This isn't really about how to set goals, but it is about a guy who set and acheived them.

The first video tells you a story about him.
The next is the first in a series of videos covering the lecture.

A very inspiring man...:notworthy::hl:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQtwEKlUutA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQtwEKlUutA[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HqdnjgkExY"]YouTube - The last lecture of Randy Pausch 1[/ame]

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
Great story...I'm still watching the full lecture on youtube

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Just a Bump.... great story here, well worth the time to watch. I know we all, especially me, can get involved in making bread, passive income, blah blah, when we forget that there are no guarantees in life ... you or I can be gone in 2 minutes, 2 weeks, 2 months, or 2 years.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Thanks for bumping this.

Just a few months after I met Sharon, her mom was diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer.

From diagnosis to her last breath was 7 weeks.

This is common for people w/pancreatic cancer, since by the time it's found, it's too late.

We've organized a number of fundraisers for PanCan, the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network.

All of these events are full of people who have lost someone-- quickly-- to pancreatic cancer.

These events are sobering, but everyone seems to "get" the fact that we need to cherish every moment-- to celebrate each day.

Again, thanks for posting this. :)

-Russ H.

Sid23

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 9, 2007
It brought a tear to my eye to watch him hug and passionately kiss his wife at the end of his lecture...

It's amazing what the human spirit is capable of. This guy is amazing.

Rep speed ++ for Bob. Thanks for sharing!

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
Endicott, New York, United States
This guy happened to be on Oprah today.

Both him and an earlier guest (the woman who wrote "Crazy Sexy Cancer" for TLC) were amazing.

They both took the stance that "we're all going to die someday...I just have a better warning of when".

They are living life fully, and have some REALLY great messages. It is refreshing to see.

The first time I ever saw a standing ovation of sobbing women:smxD:!

S928

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 7, 2007
:hl: What an amazing lecture. It's amazing to see someone so content and fulfilled with life. Wow.

:hl:
:hl:

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
He will be missed, but not forgotten.

'Last Lecture' professor dies at 47 - CNN.com

Just a few months after I met the gal that became my bride, her mom Bonnie was diagnosed with Pancreatic cancer. Stage 4, as it's almost impossible to detect earlier.

She was given 8-10 weeks.

She passed away 7 weeks later, to the day.

I had never been so close to a someone that had been given such a short period to live.

Saddest day was when Bonnie came into the living room to give away her Giants tickets (she and her husband, Don, were season ticket holders, and HUGE fans).

Going through the whole thing was very hard. Two years later, almost exactly, Don was also diagnosed with cancer. His prognosis was better-- a year perhaps. But in the ensuing weeks, they found additional cancers, and he too passed away about 8 weeks after diagnosis.

My wife has worked tirelessy for PanCan, the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network. While it won't bring mom back, we know it is something she would have appreciated.

I mentioned that Bonnie and Don were big Giants fans. Their ashes are scattered in McCovey Cove, where the big hitters home run balls fall into the water.

-Russ H.

lightning

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Aug 24, 2007
Northern, NJ
He will be missed, but not forgotten.

'Last Lecture' professor dies at 47 - CNN.com

Just a few months after I met the gal that became my bride, her mom Bonnie was diagnosed with Pancreatic cancer. Stage 4, as it's almost impossible to detect earlier.

She was given 8-10 weeks.

She passed away 7 weeks later, to the day.

I had never been so close to a someone that had been given such a short period to live.

Saddest day was when Bonnie came into the living room to give away her Giants tickets (she and her husband, Don, were season ticket holders, and HUGE fans).

Going through the whole thing was very hard. Two years later, almost exactly, Don was also diagnosed with cancer. His prognosis was better-- a year perhaps. But in the ensuing weeks, they found additional cancers, and he too passed away about 8 weeks after diagnosis.

My wife has worked tirelessy for PanCan, the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network. While it won't bring mom back, we know it is something she would have appreciated.

I mentioned that Bonnie and Don were big Giants fans. Their ashes are scattered in McCovey Cove, where the big hitters home run balls fall into the water.

-Russ H.

Russ,
That story almost brought a tear to my eye. So sorry to hear about your Mother in law. :(

When I was about 9 years old, one of my best friends invited me to go to a NY Giants practice with him, and to meet the team afterwards. My friend was a HUGE giants fan, and told me his Father had won a contest (I was too young to care or contemplate the origin of the afternoon event, I just thought it was the coolest thing ever :) ).

A few months later, my parents pulled me aside to tell me that the reason we had gone to see that Giants that afternoon, was that my friend Frankie was very sick. His dream to hang out with the NY Giants for an afternoon was granted by the Make-a-wish foundation, because he did not have that long to live. At 10 years old, he was diagnosed with cancer.

That conversation with my parents was one of the biggest moments of clarity for me, and has stuck with me thru today. Sometimes, life just doesn't deal ya a fair hand, and it takes realizing that to truly appreciate just how blessed we really are..

-Mike

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Lightning said:
That conversation with my parents was one of the biggest moments of clarity for me, and has stuck with me thru today. Sometimes, life just doesn't deal ya a fair hand, and it takes realizing that to truly appreciate just how blessed we really are.

I totally agree, Mike. When I met Sharon (my wife) and her parents and sibs, I pretty much fell in love with the whole family. They loved hanging out with each other-- something I really wanted to do with my kids, someday.

I saw what great grandparents Bonnie and Don were, and was really looking forward to having them around as our kids grew up.

Sadly, this was not to be. They both passed before our first child was born.

While some people might have felt cheated that this happened, it just makes me treasure my time all the more.

You never know how much time you have.

Make the most of every moment.

-Russ H.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
God bless and Godspeed on your next journey.

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
This may sound a little morbid, but...

Until they discover the cure to old age and all disease -- Death is truly one unforgiving SOB. What I got from watching this man's struggle was probably different than what a lot of people got from it --

Death Sucks, and it should be resisted at all causes. Do not go quietly! If you are dying, do not accept your fate. Fight death every way you can.

The Reaper will catch up with us all sooner or later. Even if you leave an amazing legacy behind, will it be enough to compensate you for the fact that you will no longer exist? Will people remember who you were in a generation? 2 generations or 3 or 4?

There are a lot of people out there saying that the key is to live your life to the fullest, accomplishing the most, and touching the most people, etc... But my take on it is that we need to have the most fun possible in this short time we've got, because this is it. Exploit your best assets at every age you reach, be it beauty - youth - wisdom, etc....

Cheers,

- Hakrjak :smx19:

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
hakrjak said:
There are a lot of people out there saying that the key is to live your life to the fullest, accomplishing the most, and touching the most people, etc... But my take on it is that we need to have the most fun possible in this short time we've got, because this is it. Exploit your best assets at every age you reach, be it beauty - youth - wisdom, etc....

Could it be we're both saying the same thing, hakrjak?

Specifically:

Pursue Happiness. Do what you love.

-Russ H.

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
Anyone else notice something really amazing. Someone pours the heart out on a venue unheard of 4 years ago and receives national attention during his life and at his death.

Simply an amazing time we live in. The modern day tree stump. Some guy gets up on a stump in the middle of a park 200 years ago. A crowd gathers and listens and the world is changed.

Now a gentlemen gets behind a podium, speaks from the soul and has moved millions. I fully believe in the butterfly effect. Simple actions can be more powerful then our little brains can comprehend.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Here is an updated link ... those vids above don't appear to be working...

[ame=http://youtube.com/watch?v=ji5_MqicxSo]YouTube - Randy Pausch Last Lecture: Achieving Your Childhood Dreams[/ame]

phlgirl

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 29, 2007
Philadelphia
I saw that Primetime is going to have a segment on Randy Pausch tomorrow night. Looks like Good Morning America is covering as well (appears I missed those). In case anyone is interested.....

Tune in to "Good Morning America" Monday July 28 and Tuesday July 29 for a special tribute to Professor Pausch. Then be sure and catch "The Last Lecture: A Celebration of Life" Tuesday July 29 on "Primetime" at 10 p.m. ET click here to see ABC News' full coverage of his story.

TC2

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jun 30, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
wow... I did not know these guy until now.

What a story!

"Tell the truth all the time" ...

That's it!

Going to watching all videos now.. Thanks for sharing ..

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Watched both the ABC news pc and the whole lecture tonight.

Incredible.

Totally worth the time, to all of you who have not done this yet. :thumbsup:

-Russ H.

Sid23

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 9, 2007
My fiancee and I were both in tears by the end of the segment last night.

What an incredible, incredible attitude.

I learned a lot.

Wow.

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
My fiancee and I were both in tears by the end of the segment last night.

What an incredible, incredible attitude.

I learned a lot.

Wow.

I hear that... I was working out on the eliptical at the time and watching the Sawyer "Goodbye to Randy Pausch", and I was ready to quit early because I was getting tired and am kinda outta shape -- and then I said to myself, "You're alive... This guy is dead... this pain feels great!" and I kept on rolling.

- Hakrjak

phlgirl

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 29, 2007
Philadelphia
Here's the PrimeTime segment (looks like there are 5 parts).

ABC News: Randy Pausch, Author of 'The Last Lecture,' Dies at 47

I watched the Lecture itself a few nights ago, so I knew the the deal.

Last night, we watched Primetime..... the football sent me over the edge. What an amazing man. I agree, Sid. Lots to learn from Randy's take on life.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.