The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Double My Money Thread: $1k to $2k.

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

TheDillon__

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Apr 11, 2016
DFW
Hey all! This post is fairly long. Skip to the *TL;DR* if you're wanting the no-frills version!

-----

I spend most of my time as a teacher-to-be.

No, I'm not in school for education.

No, I don't plan to go teach history to 11th graders.

However, I do believe in growth and development in the age of the internet.

Four years ago I wanted to learn a language. I researched my tools, dove right in, and started teaching myself German. For seven months I went above and beyond to try and speak German every day, until I took my high-school level proficiency test. I didn't want to sit in a boring class every day and take home five pounds of homework - I can just teach myself!

For seven months I studied. I labored. I worked.

Test time came. I won.

I tested out of two years' worth of classes, and ended up enjoying the teacher so much that I ironically took his German 3 class that very semester! It was then that he informed me about a statewide German-speaking competition. Much like the school, it was divided in ranks from easiest to hardest: Levels 1, 2, 3, and 4. Curious but confident, I entered. The competition was two weeks out - the only way I could prepare any further was through learning a few new vocabulary words, which I may or may not even get to use during the test. All that I had to rely on was my current level of skill and apprehension.

Then, as quick as a blink, testing day came. I sat down with my snack and my water bottle, set everything by my feet, and I put a pencil onto paper. Four hours and two bathroom breaks later - time was up. I flipped my papers over, and set down my pencil - readying myself mentally for two weeks of waiting until I got the results.

Gold.

After seven months of teaching myself my first foreign language, I'd placed Gold, first place, across every other participant in the Level 2 category across the entire state of Texas. In Level 3 - bronze. I wore a confident smile that day - for that was a real benchmark that showed me that the self-starter can achieve via diligence, perseverance, and work.

This went on to repeat itself over several facets of my life.

I got tired of being single and kinda lonely. Diligence, perseverance, work. I met a wonderful girl with whom I grew and spent the next two years of my life with. We'd split recently, only due to simply being at different points of our lives. We maintain a friendship (and a mutual love for our little puppy) to this day.

I didn't want to go to college. I also didn't want to pull shots of espresso for the remainder of my adult life. I started learning Python - a programming language I wanted to use to build websites. Four months later, I'm glad to call a relative celebrity of the Python community a personal mentor and friend of mine. I have been blessed enough for him to invite me to collaborate on personal projects, and have him show me the ropes of how web development really works.

As evidenced by other areas in my life, I knew that the cliche of "anything is possible" had a firm basis in reality.

**TL;DR**

Interestingly enough - I noticed that I never applied this same thought process towards the one area of my life that, potentially, matters the most! My entrepreneurship.

With all other areas of my life - I only had one thing on the line. My time. I was free and able to donate this to as many areas as I wanted. I'm young! I've got a lot of it left! (Unless I get hit by a bus tomorrow, catch pneumonia, get bit by a venomous spider, or whatever else.)

I never realized that all this time I was scared to bet my own damn dollars.

Well now that I've come to this realization, that's time to change!

I've got just under $1000 sitting in my bank right now. Fortunately, I'm back at home with my parents, and free of major expenses like rent, utilities, and groceries.

My goal is simple. Take this $1000, turn it into $2000.

How do I plan to do this? We'll see! This post begins planning.

Perhaps I jump into the buy/sell retail-resale life of Ebay. Buying goods for a low price, selling them at a profit.

Perhaps I jump on the Shopify dropshipping hype-train (though I feel this has been done to death.) Perhaps I join a dropshipping network in order to diversify my products a bit! (@Andy Black - I could use some training on long tail keywords ;) )

Perhaps I build a course website and sell language lessons online.

Perhaps I lease a lamborghini for half an hour and teach people the ultimate secrets of success for the low low price of $97.99 to buy my pdf!

Let's see what happens.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TheDillon__

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Apr 11, 2016
DFW
Current Budget: $1,000.

First step: Join the INSIDERS. $60.

Remaining funds: $940.

There's a lot of value in the inside. I'm sure this will pay for itself.

TheDillon__

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Apr 11, 2016
DFW
@MJ DeMarco Hey man! Pardon the ping. Going to be going into some detail on my execution - can I get this moved to the Inside?

TheDillon__

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Apr 11, 2016
DFW
Current Budget: $940

New Purchase: "Cashvertising" by Drew Whitman ($12)

Remaining Budget: $928.

Reason: At the genesis, getting business ideas was my weakest skill. Then I read MFL.

Then, getting people to visit my business was my weakest skill. So I bought @Andy Black's course (phenomenal - do check it out), and learned AdWords.

Now, when people are here, I draw a blank and don't know what to say! This book comes highly recommended in teaching the art of Copywriting.

Edit: Really interesting article from the author on the why of copywriting. Really wish I found this four years ago!

Last edited:

Tommo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Jan 21, 2018
Perth Australia
D
Hey all! This post is fairly long. Skip to the *TL;DR* if you're wanting the no-frills version!

-----

I spend most of my time as a teacher-to-be.

No, I'm not in school for education.

No, I don't plan to go teach history to 11th graders.

However, I do believe in growth and development in the age of the internet.

Four years ago I wanted to learn a language. I researched my tools, dove right in, and started teaching myself German. For seven months I went above and beyond to try and speak German every day, until I took my high-school level proficiency test. I didn't want to sit in a boring class every day and take home five pounds of homework - I can just teach myself!

For seven months I studied. I labored. I worked.

Test time came. I won.

I tested out of two years' worth of classes, and ended up enjoying the teacher so much that I ironically took his German 3 class that very semester! It was then that he informed me about a statewide German-speaking competition. Much like the school, it was divided in ranks from easiest to hardest: Levels 1, 2, 3, and 4. Curious but confident, I entered. The competition was two weeks out - the only way I could prepare any further was through learning a few new vocabulary words, which I may or may not even get to use during the test. All that I had to rely on was my current level of skill and apprehension.

Then, as quick as a blink, testing day came. I sat down with my snack and my water bottle, set everything by my feet, and I put a pencil onto paper. Four hours and two bathroom breaks later - time was up. I flipped my papers over, and set down my pencil - readying myself mentally for two weeks of waiting until I got the results.

Gold.

After seven months of teaching myself my first foreign language, I'd placed Gold, first place, across every other participant in the Level 2 category across the entire state of Texas. In Level 3 - bronze. I wore a confident smile that day - for that was a real benchmark that showed me that the self-starter can achieve via diligence, perseverance, and work.

This went on to repeat itself over several facets of my life.

I got tired of being single and kinda lonely. Diligence, perseverance, work. I met a wonderful girl with whom I grew and spent the next two years of my life with. We'd split recently, only due to simply being at different points of our lives. We maintain a friendship (and a mutual love for our little puppy) to this day.

I didn't want to go to college. I also didn't want to pull shots of espresso for the remainder of my adult life. I started learning Python - a programming language I wanted to use to build websites. Four months later, I'm glad to call a relative celebrity of the Python community a personal mentor and friend of mine. I have been blessed enough for him to invite me to collaborate on personal projects, and have him show me the ropes of how web development really works.

As evidenced by other areas in my life, I knew that the cliche of "anything is possible" had a firm basis in reality.

**TL;DR**

Interestingly enough - I noticed that I never applied this same thought process towards the one area of my life that, potentially, matters the most! My entrepreneurship.

With all other areas of my life - I only had one thing on the line. My time. I was free and able to donate this to as many areas as I wanted. I'm young! I've got a lot of it left! (Unless I get hit by a bus tomorrow, catch pneumonia, get bit by a venomous spider, or whatever else.)

I never realized that all this time I was scared to bet my own damn dollars.

Well now that I've come to this realization, that's time to change!

I've got just under $1000 sitting in my bank right now. Fortunately, I'm back at home with my parents, and free of major expenses like rent, utilities, and groceries.

My goal is simple. Take this $1000, turn it into $2000.

How do I plan to do this? We'll see! This post begins planning.

Perhaps I jump into the buy/sell retail-resale life of Ebay. Buying goods for a low price, selling them at a profit.

Perhaps I jump on the Shopify dropshipping hype-train (though I feel this has been done to death.) Perhaps I join a dropshipping network in order to diversify my products a bit! (@Andy Black - I could use some training on long tail keywords ;) )

Perhaps I build a course website and sell language lessons online.

Perhaps I lease a lamborghini for half an hour and teach people the ultimate secrets of success for the low low price of $97.99 to buy my pdf!

Let's see what happens.
Du hast gut getan Junge. Lol

TheDillon__

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Apr 11, 2016
DFW
D

Du hast gut getan Junge. Lol
Hah, dankschön Alter! Hat viel Versuch gebraucht, aber wir werden einfach durch schweren Arbeit gewinnen oder?

Tommo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Jan 21, 2018
Perth Australia
Hah, dankschön Alter! Hat viel Versuch gebraucht, aber wir werden einfach durch schweren Arbeit gewinnen oder?
Unglaublich gut gesagt. Ich habe eine ganze menge Deutsch vergessen. Bin selbst gelernt.

Best way to double your money is fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

I wish you well with your venture.

TheDillon__

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Apr 11, 2016
DFW
Saw your other thread. Crypto was a bad idea. This is a good idea. You just drastically altered your success probability.
Meh.

TheDillon__

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Apr 11, 2016
DFW
Unglaublich gut gesagt. Ich habe eine ganze menge Deutsch vergessen. Bin selbst gelernt.

Best way to double your money is fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

I wish you well with your venture.

Haha - well said. Thank you.

Viel Glück!

MHP368

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Aug 17, 2016
Sahuarita AZ
Don't get your hopes up - I'm a disappointment! :smile:

Idk , I took Spanish 101 5 times and all I can do is start a bar fight, high school German in 7 months? I think you got this :hilarious:

TheDillon__

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Apr 11, 2016
DFW
Idk , I took Spanish 101 5 times and all I can do is start a bar fight, high school German in 7 months? I think you got this :hilarious:

Hah! My man.

If you're ever drunk, trapped in the cultured brick walls of Madrid, Spain, and you need to get your way out of a bar fight, I can teach you how to speak fluent Spanish in 3 months.

TheDillon__

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Apr 11, 2016
DFW
Looking forward to your progress!

Btw why are you writing in german lol?

You read the thread right? ;) I'm assuming they just saw something we had in common and wanted to build some rapport with it. Harmless stuff

ALC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Jul 19, 2017
France
Is there a deadline to your 'challenge' ?
You could flip stuff from wholesale or asking friends if they have anything they don't use anymore.

Just try Offline arbitrage first then if you like it...build a website/dropshipping/amazon.
I'm myself trying to get confortable with selling on Amazon / Ebay everything and anything, from shoes i bought but never use or just an item that i use 2/3 times.
Btw, i agree copywriting is necessary.

Last edited:

TheDillon__

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Apr 11, 2016
DFW
Is there a deadline to your 'challenge' ?
You could flip stuff from wholesale or your asking friends if they have anything they don't use anymore.

Just try Offline arbitrage first then if you like it...build a website/dropshipping/amazon.
I'm myself trying to get confortable with selling on Amazon / Ebay everything and anything, from shoes i bought but never use or just an item that i use 2/3 times.
Btw, i agree copywriting is necessary.
Jein? There's no solid deadline per se, but I don't plan to sit on my a$$.

I don't want to set a deadline and "miss it" because my manufacturer ran into some weird issue or shipping times are longer than I expected.

Rather - set rules. I have two ideas I'm debating right now, and they both have fleshed out action plans. I might split the 1k down the middle and try both. (Unless the first turns sustainable, in which case, sweet!)

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
I'm all for the quick turn-around. For what you want to do Amazon/Ebay is slow lane.

Put your stuff on 5Miles/OfferUp/Market Place/Craigslist/LetGo and see a return on your money TODAY! List it on all of them, no need to try 1.... it only takes 2 minutes to list so you will have 10 minutes tied up in listing today and by bedtime you can have a return on your money if you have a good ad with great pictures.

ALC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Jul 19, 2017
France
Jein? There's no solid deadline per se, but I don't plan to sit on my a$$.

I don't want to set a deadline and "miss it" because my manufacturer ran into some weird issue or shipping times are longer than I expected.

Rather - set rules. I have two ideas I'm debating right now, and they both have fleshed out action plans. I might split the 1k down the middle and try both. (Unless the first turns sustainable, in which case, sweet!)
All right , let's see what you got !

TheDillon__

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Apr 11, 2016
DFW
Current Budget: $928

Purchase: Recipe guide from Simnett Nutrition ($14)

Health matters. Your brain is a muscle and a functioning member of your body. Strong body, strong mind. C'est ça. Really respect this guy, his journey, his work. Glad to pick this up!

Remaining Budget: $914

____

Unrelated note. Thought of a horribly underserved niche I'm severely interested in. Entry is gonna be toooooough but it will pay off.

With that - I'm off to read @SinisterLex's entire post history. Very excited to start learning about copywriting!

Last edited:

RoadTrip

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 27, 2012
Perhaps I jump on the Shopify dropshipping hype-train (though I feel this has been done to death.) Perhaps I join a dropshipping network in order to diversify my

I highly suggest you do not jump the Shopify dropshipping hype-train. It's completely against everything that MJ teaches: no entry, crowds and crowds of people doing the same thing, increased FB advertising costs, no quality control, etc. etc. You will burn through your money faster than you can imagine.

RoadTrip

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 27, 2012
I highly advice against jumping the Shopify dropshipping hype-train. It's completely against everything that MJ teaches: no entry, crowds and crowds of people doing the same thing, increased FB advertising costs, no quality control, etc. etc. You will burn through your money faster than you can imagine.

Azure

Perpetual Motion
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Mar 12, 2016
I highly suggest you do not jump the Shopify dropshipping hype-train. It's completely against everything that MJ teaches: no entry, crowds and crowds of people doing the same thing, increased FB advertising costs, no quality control, etc. etc. You will burn through your money faster than you can imagine.

This is true if you follow the masses selling AliExpress garbage. There are other ways to dropship though, and they do not violate nearly so many of the principles.

ALC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Jul 19, 2017
France
Not really, as said earlier it could be a good thing if you actually get high end product / good quality.
Most of the product coming from Alibaba/Express are not great, at least 70% of it.

You could search for other country and plateform who are doing the same thing but with different product or more qualitative.
Everyone is looking for AliExpress, there's a reason for that, and not every niche as been found.
But it's not as it was earlier, there's so much people on this.

At least Amazon FBA has a higher barrier to entry because you need capital to invest in product stock !

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.