The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Desert of Desertion's Sibling: The Dessert of Deceit

Ravens_Shadow

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
643%
Oct 2, 2012
Austin, TX
By now most of you know what the Desert of Desertion is. It's that phase where your entrepreneurial dreams are in jeopardy due to there being a drought of customers, money, positive feedback loops etc. This is the phase where a lot of would be entrepreneurs give up on their dreams and move to the next shiny object instead of persisting.

As you continue to build your business over the years you'll find that you have to cross multiple deserts of desertion. I recently encountered something very similar, something that would put my entrepreneurial dreams in jeopardy, but with a falsely positive outcome. I call this the Dessert of Deceit.. it's when you're given the choice between a plain, partially melted, vanilla ice cream cone right now, or a triple chocolate hot fudge sunday with 1oz gold nuggets in lieu of sprinkles in a few years.

The Dessert of Deceit could come in the form of a potential exit from your business and it comes at a time when you are in a state of hyper growth and focus. The Dessert of Deceit promises a handsome payday if you just exit now and be done with it. Wouldn't it be nice to just sell the business and sit on the beach and sip coconuts after all? If you can score a $15 million exit today.. shouldn't you just take it?

I think it depends. If you're in a situation where you are offered exit money and you know in your gut that if you sold today you'd regret it in the future, you are being offered the Dessert of Deceit. It is an opportunity to sell yourself short on your biggest dreams. It is a door that you probably shouldn't walk through if you know you still have more to accomplish in your business. In a case like this, I ask myself.. what else am I gonna do? Line my bank account with a few million and do nothing? Sit on the couch stuffing my face after "making it?". Nothing right now in my life is more exciting that continuing to build my business and I know can be so much more.. so I'm turning down the melted ice cream cone, and I'm going to continue trucking on until I feel like my job is done. THEN at that point, I'll take the triple chocolate hot fudge sunday.

Don't let the Desert of Desertion kill your business, and don't let the Dessert of Deceit tempt your chance at fulfilling your wildest dreams.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Empires

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Jan 12, 2016
Planet Earth
Hell yeah man. You'll never regret continuing to build your business because that's what you truly want to do. But you may regret selling too early and wondering what could've been.

Stick to your guns and keep killing it.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Ooo did you get a big offer to sell recently?

I once said years ago, that you will be the forum's first 9 figure exit, at least, one that we know of.

Incidentally, in my new book, I mentioned that Netflix once offered itself up for acquisition to Blockbuster for a mere 50 million. They refused. Now Netflix is worth $80 billion.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GravyBoat

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
Watching this story play out is absolutely inspiring and jaw dropping. But also makes total sense. Create 10/10 product, hustle for years, reap the value you created.

Ravens_Shadow

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
643%
Oct 2, 2012
Austin, TX
Ooo did you get a big offer to sell recently?
Pretty much. This scenario created a lot of internal doubt in my abilities to fulfill my plans as odd as it sounds. "Now that I can sell for millions, should I continue on or not even bother? What's the point?". I'm at that point where making more money would grant me a bit more freedom in a "what super car should I buy" way, but won't change anything day to day as I'm already making life changing money.

I've sorta had an internal compass crisis as it's really made me think about what I want. I've always heard that once you get the money you're like "now what??" and that's where I'm at. Of course I don't have millions in the bank yet, but I'm holding out for that bigger payday.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Ravens_Shadow

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
643%
Oct 2, 2012
Austin, TX
@Ravens_Shadow - clarification: Did you mean DESERT (arid sand) or DESSERT (tasty treat?)
I mean tasty treat Dessert. Dessert is thought of as a good thing, but in this case its deceiving haha. That's why I compared ice cream cones to hot fudge sundays¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.