The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Am I in The Desert?

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

RightyTighty

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
May 31, 2023
Arkansas
Hey Aiden, give us an update. Any progress with your product? You also said you were going to tell us about some of your other ideas. Let us hear from you!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Aidan04

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Apr 27, 2022
United States
Hey Aiden, give us an update. Any progress with your product? You also said you were going to tell us about some of your other ideas. Let us hear from you!
Hey there!

I've been working on something called a KeepClear. It's a remote controlled battery-powered license plate frame with LED lights that is used to communicate with cars behind you on the road. Imagine being able to flash your brights at someone behind you, or break check someone without the risk of getting rear-ended.

Annoyances like someone tailgating you, a pedestrian not moving out of the way in the parking lot, or someone having their high beams on and blinding you are a few examples I can think of as use cases. It has a remote with 3 different light options.

Trying to "kill this idea as fast as possible" as @Spenny told me to do, so I am working relentlessly at getting the MVP and test models done.

I also have other ideas in the bank but I won't reveal them unless this fails, trying to stay as focused as possible.

You can read more about it on my progress thread: Post in thread 'The Journey of Building and Selling a Physical Product'

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
I wouldn't have abandoned this idea.

There are plenty of lifters who do not want to get disturbed while training. It's not a huge problem, but it's a clear value-skew for any gym having this device.

What I would do to make it more useful:
  • Remove the bottom panel - nobody wants to tinker with that between sets, it's annoying and useless
  • Change the color scheme so I can see what's happening from the other side of the gym:

1703920374856.png
1703920380424.png

That's everything you need.

Besides that, what if you simply gave a free sample to a gym?
And this is exactly how I would market it.

1. Make sure to write your website down on the product itself, so people know where to buy more.
2. Make 200-300 samples and send them to all the nearby gyms for free (1 per business) - $500 investment.
3. Raise the price to $20.
4. Most gyms will never call you back. 1-5% might be interested. If this becomes a value skew for their business, this product may hit the mainstream.

Marketing is everything. You need to talk directly to the gym owners.

Thanks @Spenny for linking me this thread.

Aidan04

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Apr 27, 2022
United States
I wouldn't have abandoned this idea.

There are plenty of lifters who do not want to get disturbed while training. It's not a huge problem, but it's a clear value-skew for any gym having this device.

What I would do to make it more useful:
  • Remove the bottom panel - nobody wants to tinker with that between sets, it's annoying and useless
  • Change the color scheme so I can see what's happening from the other side of the gym:

View attachment 53240
View attachment 53241

That's everything you need.

And this is exactly how I would market it.

1. Make sure to write your website down on the product itself, so people know where to buy more.
2. Make 200-300 samples and send them to all the nearby gyms for free (1 per business) - $500 investment.
3. Raise the price to $20.
4. Most gyms will never call you back. 1-5% might be interested. If this becomes a value skew for their business, this product may hit the mainstream.

Marketing is everything. You need to talk directly to the gym owners.

Thanks @Spenny for linking me this thread.
Love the feedback, unfortunately this is about a few months ago for me and I am currently in the midst of creating something with a much larger and clearer value skew and proposition.

You're not hearing about this because it's all in a private inventors group which includes my man @Spenny

If someone else really thinks they can make the idea work, they can most certainly go for it, but I view this thread as my first real experience as well as failure in the market, an important stepping stone and learning experience.

NathanN

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Jul 27, 2022
Vancouver, B.C.
Lol as I was at the gym earlier today I had my machine and benches taken like 5 times, even when I had my stuff there. I remembered reading this thread a while back about your Set Sign product. As gyms just get busier and busier I can see this product being very useful. Gym owners might have a hard time being persuaded to buy them for their gyms, but honestly, I can't see why not have these, as it saves a lot of hassle for people when working out.

thecakeindustrie

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Aug 28, 2023
Listen man, you've done all the steps from the original idea to the real product on your hands. This is a millionaire mindset and the most important thing is that you have made the product by your hands and in the real life. You are at the sell point now.
You have done the path.

Now, what is the problem ?

You don't get sells, the question you should ask to yourself is why ?

I don't want to respond to this question because it's not up to me to do that, it's up to yourself.

Just remember that you are on the right way and that anyway, we are all proud of you for making your idea real.

Now, try to test your idea to the fastplane rules, maybe have you ignored one of them ?

- David

Jon822

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Nov 21, 2016
Set yourself a definitive date or amount of time working on this as an eject: once you reach it with no sales or a small enough amount of sales, there's no rationalizing extra time. It's done. Move on.

With that said though, I really like your product. I wouldn't buy one myself but if I went to a gym that had these on all (or popular) machines, that gym would be more valuable to me because of them. Maybe you should send several gyms one for free. If they see the value, then they will want to buy extra. If nobody buys after testing them, then there's your ejection point.

Last edited:

Aidan04

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Apr 27, 2022
United States
Lol as I was at the gym earlier today I had my machine and benches taken like 5 times, even when I had my stuff there. I remembered reading this thread a while back about your Set Sign product. As gyms just get busier and busier I can see this product being very useful. Gym owners might have a hard time being persuaded to buy them for their gyms, but honestly, I can't see why not have these, as it saves a lot of hassle for people when working out.
It was a very tough sell, especially because the only benefit to the gym was vague aspects like "increased customer retention" and "higher quality of life". This wasn't really enough to convince them.

Another thing is that many gyms actually have rules against this stuff, and I was only made aware of this once I started talking to them.

I did all of this a$$-backwards, making a product before I even knew people wanted it.

I'm already knee deep in something I've proved to provide value from the get-go so I'm not going back now.

This time around a lot of market research was done, taking in a bunch of problems with existing products.

I will be posting about what I have been working on once it's available for order!

Last edited:

Bounce Back

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Dec 30, 2023
Florida
@Aidan04

Saw this on flippa and thought of this thread/you: