The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Boss Vs. The Employee Mentality

Kreedos Phoenix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Nov 30, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
I've heard of this recent interview with Dame Dash (Former partner of Jay Z, rocafella records, and many other companies where hundreds of millions were made) and finally had a chance to check out a snippet of it this morning.

(Roughly 7 minutes) but its a very intense exchange with the host of the radio show about being a boss vs. being an employee.

Thought it was worth sharing as this is in line with my studies of MLF. Would love to hear some thoughts on this. Is he on point here or off base?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Sounds like he read TMF . :)

Weaponize

Workin on it!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Nov 15, 2014
I've heard of this recent interview with Dame Dash (Former partner of Jay Z, rocafella records, and many other companies where hundreds of millions were made) and finally had a chance to check out a snippet of it this morning.

(Roughly 7 minutes) but its a very intense exchange with the host of the radio show about being a boss vs. being an employee.

Thought it was worth sharing as this is in line with my studies of MLF. Would love to hear some thoughts on this. Is he on point here or off base?

He's on point, thanks for sharing the video! Sooooooo interesting how everybody is arguing with him. Defending their lack of control and trying to communicate (and truly convince themselves) that they do have control.

Brentnal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jan 23, 2013
Netherlands/Sidewalk
WOW, yes Mj i think he read TMF . I find it funny that the other guy doesn't want to admit that he is a slave, when i talk to people about this they act the same, people are so ignorant.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
"I hustle for my last name, I don't hustle for my first."

As a father that's about as motivating as it gets.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Ha. Just watched that again. Awesome stuff.

I just wanted to add to my previous comment in case you haven't worked out how big the stakes really are.

I had a coaching call earlier this year.

It was with with the guy who introduced me to limiting beliefs a couple of years ago, and I was much more open this time round knowing that I have my own "stories" constructed to avoid underlying issues.

After an hour of talking and making a bit of progress we made a big break-through for me.

He diagnosed some of my actions as coming from the "not enough" gene we all have.

As humans, we ALL suffer from the "I'm not enough" gene. It's what allows us as a species to keep doing more, to keep exploring, and to conquer new territories.

But that feeling of "not enough" can also prevent us from taking action, or completing something.

Maybe we need to learn more before we start?

Maybe we need to get a business partner because we aren't good at business?

Maybe we need to get an office and a logo before we sell anything?

This all comes from the "not enough" gene.

It never goes away.

We all have to know we have it, and we each have to learn how to not be it's slave, and continuously fight it.

Many people never get past it, ever.

If you're like me, you win sometimes, and other times it causes you to take the wrong action.

"So what?" you might think. You can live with it. You're comfortable enough aren't you?

The stakes are bigger than you think, and that's why I loved this video...

Your kids will inherit that "not enough" gene.

And the world is going to do it's damnest to make them slaves to "I'm not enough".

They will suffer all that self-doubt that you do.

And there's a high chance that they don't fulfil their true potential.

UNLESS YOU BREAK THE CYCLE FIRST!

If YOU haven't sorted it our in your own head, then you're leaving it up to your kids to try and sort it out themselves.

As a man, I've gone out into the world and created my own space. I have my own tribe now. I am their provider. I am responsible for keeping them safe first and foremost.

BUT, I am also responsible for ensuring they have the mindset needed to make the most of their lives, and not call anyone else their boss.

The success of your business reflects your personal growth.

My only job now is to become the man I wish my sons to grow up to be.

As business owners and entrepreneurs, we're doing something that most of the population is too scared to. We're facing our "not enough" gene headon, and pushing past it.

The simple trick my coach gave me whenever I notice I'm not taking the proper action because I think I'm "not enough"?

Say...

I *AM* enough

Because I say I am

Last edited:

Brentnal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jan 23, 2013
Netherlands/Sidewalk
Watch part 2 -

I can't get enough of this man, im still watching videos about him, all the advice he gives is incredible.

He has a gallery at his house, where his kids sell stuff to put food for their parents at the table to learn them to be a seller/producer not the buyer/consumer.

Amazing right?

zerobrainwash

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Feb 20, 2015
Baltics
Amazing video, love how much he's passionate about the message he's spreading!

A bit offtopic. I wonder what would happen if everyone started doing their own thing? Not like it's going to happen any time soon, or if ever but still. My own guess is that the whole economy becomes freelance based. And big corporations cease to exist unless cheap labor is replaced by robots.

eqttrdr

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Aug 25, 2013
strictly theoretically speaking though..

doesnt there always have to be "slaves" to work for bosses? Doesnt every "boss" need to hire employees?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Can you expound on that a little without revealing anything too personal? What kind of coach was he?

He's a business and results coach. Back in 2013 when I had my first call with him I didn't realise that most of our business problems are us getting in our own way.

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
Family Fortunes: How to Build Family Wealth and Hold on to It for 100 Years (Agora Series) ... Bill Bonner and Will Bonner (Father and Son)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008EB6BU0/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

I haven't bought or read the book yet, but it's a goal of mine and I will buy and read the book. It seems like a few of you might enjoy it to. :)

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
Watch part 2 -

I can't get enough of this man, im still watching videos about him, all the advice he gives is incredible.

He has a gallery at his house, where his kids sell stuff to put food for their parents at the table to learn them to be a seller/producer not the buyer/consumer.

Amazing right?
Don't read the comments. DO NOT READ THE COMMENTS!
I want to say something, but I'll save my fingertips.
My reaction to the comments.
MpJ9iNn.gif

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
One of the comments:

"He is so privileged he's forgotten the reality of life. "All you need is a computer, protools and a mic". Where do you get money to buy the computer? Where do you get money to buy the mic? where do you put the computer and mic, house, apartment? where do you get money to pay for the apartment or house? where do you get money to pay for the light that supports your house/apartment and powers your computer? People like him most likely got to do everything from someone's house so they never had to worry about it. Also not everyone has access to the same easily manufactured skill set or talent which can earn you a quick start up money. If you are a computer genius, you need a house to put your junk, you need money for transistors, you need money to pay the light bill...not everyone can go stand on the street corner, sing, get some money, and never have a job. Most people have to start from somewhere Damon Dash...YOU are out of touch with reality in general, not the reality of your life."

Slowlane are slowlane because their mindsets are so out of touch with an entrepreneurs. They can keep dreaming of that million dollar house. It will never become a reality for them with this type of mindset.

vinylawesome

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 11, 2012
@Kreedos Phoenix Thanks for the recommendation. Dash has always been a true entrepreneur.

Family Fortunes: How to Build Family Wealth and Hold on to It for 100 Years (Agora Series) ... Bill Bonner and Will Bonner (Father and Son)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008EB6BU0/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

I haven't bought or read the book yet, but it's a goal of mine and I will buy and read the book. It seems like a few of you might enjoy it to. :)

Thanks for the recommendation.

Thought this was a good summary of the book...

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-turn-your-family-into-old-money-2012-9?op=1

Excerpt:

Make your fortune in business.
make-your-fortune-in-business.jpg

Getty Images/Kevork Djansezian

"Most family fortunes are created by successful business," write the authors, "not by careers. Not by professions. Not by investing. Not by winning the lottery."

A business is the best way to build a fortune because:

• It's a more permanent form of wealth than cash
  • The income stream can help support the family
  • It teaches family members the value of money
  • Businesses "give families a way to leverage their own skills and knowledge"

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-turn-your-family-into-old-money-2012-9?op=1#ixzz3Ui3Miv6Q

Last edited:

MidLifeStallion

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
333%
Mar 1, 2015
Omaha NE
Dame Dash is AMAZING!!. I think he may have read MFL, but he was living it long before the book ever came out. You can tell he doesn't think it or believes it, he KNOWS it. The way that he has two guys losing their mind to oppose him and he can't be shaken in his knowledge, I had no idea this guy even existed until yesterday, but I have GOT to find out more about this guy!!!! This guy is a, straight up, WINNER and he will never be denied the things he wants. He has acquired his freedom (No one can ever fire me) and is the example of what we should be like.

Go4Greatness

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Sep 29, 2014
Slowlaners are the ones saying that Dame is crazy or out of his mind... I understand everything he's saying and get his frustration.

At this point I'm starting to realize slowlaners are poisonous and you must avoid them at all cost. Thank you Dame for dropping this gem! I'm sure your probably reading this lol.

Weaponize

Workin on it!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Nov 15, 2014
At this point I'm starting to realize slowlaners are poisonous and you must avoid them at all cost.

Yea, that's proven to be the hard part for me. Friends, family, etc... I almost feel like I have to become a hermit until my defenses are a solid as stone.

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
showed to my coworkers, they said it's "retarded" and "give me 20 million and i wont have a boss either"
i was smiling the whole time.
Showed this to my friend, his exact response: "don't send this bullsh*t to me. He probably sold drugs and now he's talking about not getting a job and working for yourself. It's pretty easy when you can get easy money." - he's been working at target for over 3 years now.. Driving the same car.. Complaining about his job everyday for the past 3 years... Same position as he was 3 years ago.. I wonder why?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
One of the comments:

"He is so privileged he's forgotten the reality of life. "All you need is a computer, protools and a mic". Where do you get money to buy the computer? Where do you get money to buy the mic? where do you put the computer and mic, house, apartment? where do you get money to pay for the apartment or house? where do you get money to pay for the light that supports your house/apartment and powers your computer? People like him most likely got to do everything from someone's house so they never had to worry about it. Also not everyone has access to the same easily manufactured skill set or talent which can earn you a quick start up money. If you are a computer genius, you need a house to put your junk, you need money for transistors, you need money to pay the light bill...not everyone can go stand on the street corner, sing, get some money, and never have a job. Most people have to start from somewhere Damon Dash...YOU are out of touch with reality in general, not the reality of your life."

Slowlane are slowlane because their mindsets are so out of touch with an entrepreneurs. They can keep dreaming of that million dollar house. It will never become a reality for them with this type of mindset.

showed to my coworkers, they said it's "retarded" and "give me 20 million and i wont have a boss either"
i was smiling the whole time.

Showed this to my friend, his exact response: "don't send this bullsh*t to me. He probably sold drugs and now he's talking about not getting a job and working for yourself. It's pretty easy when you can get easy money." - he's been working at target for over 3 years now.. Driving the same car.. Complaining about his job everyday for the past 3 years... Same position as he was 3 years ago.. I wonder why?

Eh?

I had no idea people could be so dumb...

I didn't realise how conversing in this forum has kept me away from conversations like that...

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
Eh?

I had no idea people could be so dumb...

I didn't realise how conversing in this forum has kept me away from conversations like that...
That's why I always try to stay online... This is the only place I can actually talk to people that have mindsets similar to mine and not this rubbish slowlane mentality.

G

GuestUser113

He's partly true about the drugs though. He got a hookup from a well known hustler at the time to produce - In my lifetime by Jay-Z.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
He's partly true about the drugs though. He got a hookup from a well known hustler at the time to produce - In my lifetime by Jay-Z.

well when u grow up in the hood in brooklyn... you do what you gotta do to make money right?

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.