The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The BEST Cold Email Techniques to Reach CEOs and VIPs

Marketing, social media, advertising

Do you send cold emails?

• Total voters

Chris McCarron

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jun 26, 2017
Glasgow

Since launching GoGoChimp in 2013, we’ve been working really hard at writing perfect cold emails that help our clients to reach their objectives quicker and easier than before.

We send emails to hundreds of thousands of people each year and in some cases millions of people in a single month.

What we’ve discovered is that people don’t like or respond to highfalutin sales emails.

Similarly, many business owners get bogged down by complex strategies, funnels and copywriting techniques.

A good cold email campaign is the polar opposite. It’s about a great message, great communication and great distribution.

Question: What's the number one technique you use to get people to respond to your cold emails?

Please feel free to share any statistics, images etc to help illustrate your technique!

Thanks.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Tha Juice

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jul 22, 2018
Last year I started a mediaproduction company. Our main selling strategy was collecting large sums of e-mails of our target group. I did this with a chrome extension which let me rip e-mails from LinkedIn profiles (yeah blackhat af), and I wrote a little Python script which let me pull e-mails from specific domains.

The thing I learned about cold e-mailing is that whatever the F*ck you do, don't try to sell anything. Don't list bulletpoints with some features of your product or whatever, don't include an 'offer'. Be nice, it has to make them feel as if they are getting an email from a neighbour or whatever. It has to be friendly and it cannot come across as if your some sleek salesperson. The ultimate goal of the email was making them a bit excited about the product and ultimately getting them on the phone, cuz in person or on the phone where you are directly speaking to a person, it is way easier to close the deal.

Chris McCarron

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jun 26, 2017
Glasgow
Last year I started a mediaproduction company. Our main selling strategy was collecting large sums of e-mails of our target group. I did this with a chrome extension which let me rip e-mails from LinkedIn profiles (yeah blackhat af), and I wrote a little Python script which let me pull e-mails from specific domains.

The thing I learned about cold e-mailing is that whatever the f*ck you do, don't try to sell anything. Don't list bulletpoints with some features of your product or whatever, don't include an 'offer'. Be nice, it has to make them feel as if they are getting an email from a neighbour or whatever. It has to be friendly and it cannot come across as if your some sleek salesperson. The ultimate goal of the email was making them a bit excited about the product and ultimately getting them on the phone, cuz in person or on the phone where you are directly speaking to a person, it is way easier to close the deal.

Thanks for the comment. Would you be willing to share any stats and perhaps a copy of the emails you sent because I think it will help people to grow their business?

Tha Juice

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jul 22, 2018
Thanks for the comment. Would you be willing to share any stats and perhaps a copy of the emails you sent because I think it will help people to grow their business?

I do not know the openrate of my emails, I do know however, that if I send around 500 emails, I'd get around 40-50 people that emailed me back asking more info (if they left their number in the email I immediately called them), and I guess 10 or so directly on the phone. No clue if that is any good.

I always thought those were pretty good numbers. What I did not include in my previous post is that the reason I am not trying to sell anything directly in the email is cuz I am selling pretty high ticket items, anywhere from $1500 to $5000 (or more). So it didn't make sense for me to try and sell directly via email. People need more information and I want them to call me to ask it so I have a better chance at closing.

Sharing the email wont help, I'm Dutch so the email is in Dutch aswell.

Chris McCarron

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jun 26, 2017
Glasgow
Not a whole lot, and when it isn't spam anymore, It's not cold email.

SPAM has become a blanket term that's often misused. Obviously some people abuse email, but in my view there's a BIG difference between a relevant, personal cold email and SPAM.

Chris McCarron

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jun 26, 2017
Glasgow
What is the difference between cold e-mailing and spam?
SPAM is generic, misleading, continual bombardment and may be illegal or harmful to your computer.

Cold emails (when done correctly) are relevant, personal and authentic.

i.e.

Hi John, I'm Chris McCarron from GoGoChimp and I wanted to reach out to say thank you for connecting on LinkedIn.

I was looking at Fastlane Forum and it looks like it's a BIG help to entrepreneurs (like me!).

Starting a business from scratch was tough and I'm certain that if I had discovered Fastlane Forum sooner, then my business would have benefited greatly.

Thankfully things aren't as tough as they were. We've since helped many national and international brands to optimise their website and email automation to get more customers, increase AOV and CLV.

The results are interesting and I noticed a couple of key techniques are missing on Fastlane Forum that I feel will lead to more people subscribing to your newsletter and joining as a member.

I would love to share them with you for free and when you see a noticeable increase in conversions, then we can talk about how we will help on a regular basis?

Thanks,

Chris McCarron

The above is a rough example, but it highlights how it's completely different to what I would call SPAM.

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
We send emails to hundreds of thousands of people each year and in some cases millions of people in a single month.

Cold emails (when done correctly) are relevant, personal and authentic.

I don't think these two can co-exist. If I received an e-mail that was sent to millions...I would consider it spam. If I receive a "relevant personal and authentic" e-mail...I might consider it just a cold contact. The sender would have to prove he did his research on me/my company to be considered.

Chris McCarron

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jun 26, 2017
Glasgow
I don't think these two can co-exist. If I received an e-mail that was sent to millions...I would consider it spam. If I receive a "relevant personal and authentic" e-mail...I might consider it just a cold contact. The sender would have to prove he did his research on me/my company to be considered.

That's across a number of clients. Some send out in the region of 50k cold emails to new contacts every month + followups (and one client had 2.5 million email subs - technically not cold email, but gives you an indication of volumes we sometimes deal with).

However, regardless of if you're sending 1 cold email or 1-million cold emails, it has to have personal touches (name, company, position in company etc) and be written in a particular style so that people are given the impression that they are the only person to receive it.

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
Personally, I send out targeted emails highlighting specific issues I have found with the targets ads. Similar template based on the angle, but adds value in the sense that they could take the information I give them to reduce waste or by talking to me. The more personal it is, the more relevant it is, the more it can help people IMMEDIATELY, the better results you will have with less volume IMO.

Chris McCarron

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jun 26, 2017
Glasgow
Personally, I send out targeted emails highlighting specific issues I have found with the targets ads. Similar template based on the angle, but adds value in the sense that they could take the information I give them to reduce waste or by talking to me. The more personal it is, the more relevant it is, the more it can help people IMMEDIATELY, the better results you will have with less volume IMO.

Awesome answer thanks. Do you ever use the Amazon mining technique?

AdamMaxum

a worthy successor indeed
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Apr 30, 2011
NY
It really depends at what scale you're doing it at. A new company should do it much differently than a company with a large sales staff.

The best rate of emails I've gotten is tell them something they are missing out on or is wrong with their current model/website/etc. This grabs their attention. Out of all the spam my clients get for SEO, the emails I always hear about are the ones telling them something is wrong with their website. This tells me this type of email has an effect because I hear about it more than any other type of random emails they get.

If I were starting a company from scratch and was focusing on emailing people, I would look at their website/business, find something wrong with it, tell them in the email and offer a solution. You're grabbing their attention, raising an issue that is impacting their bottom line and you can help. It's hard to resist.

If you're going large scale, you must have a very enticing value proposition to get attention. Easy, to the point and something they already have that can be done better or something new that would have a significant impact on their business.

Oh, and follow up. Repeatedly. Not only by email. Call. Fax. Email again. Etc. etc.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
I send emails to leaders of companies and I tell them "I know you are not the person for this, but this is what I have and who I am looking for, can you point me in the right direction?". They almost always respond with the contact information of the person I am looking for. I can then email that person and say that the VP or CEO or President or whoever told me to contact them. I instantly have their attention.

Chris McCarron

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jun 26, 2017
Glasgow
I send emails to leaders of companies and I tell them "I know you are not the person for this, but this is what I have and who I am looking for, can you point me in the right direction?". They almost always respond with the contact information of the person I am looking for. I can then email that person and say that the VP or CEO or President or whoever told me to contact them. I instantly have their attention.
That is awesome!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.