The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Anatomy of a $20,000,000 Fastlane idea

Idea threads

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Watch the video:

ABC News

This explains The power of mass marketing ... or, remarketing. Take something old and stale, spin it, and make it new.

4,000,000 SOLD X $19.95

80 MILLION DOLLARS IN SALES

$80,000,000 !!!!

ASSUME A MARGIN OF 25% which I believe to be conservative.

$20,000,000 PROFIT

You laugh at the Snuggie. I laugh. Everyone laughs. But who is really laughing? The guy that took something that already existed, spun it, and remarketed it to the masses.:groove:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LAbull

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 22, 2007
SoCal
Not sure about back ordered for months.

I was just at Bed Bath and Beyond and they had an entire aisle dedicated to this and the great German made product aka Shamwow.

Now shamwow has some real "smarketing". I would love to see the numbers that company is doing.

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX
took something that already existed, spun it, and remarketed it to the masses.:groove:

This is the first time I've seen this product so unfamiliar with all their marketing/business. In what ways did they market this to get the results they are getting that the other companies with the same product weren't doing?

LAbull

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 22, 2007
SoCal
This is the first time I've seen this product so unfamiliar with all their marketing/business. In what ways did they market this to get the results they are getting that the other companies with the same product weren't doing?

I assume you do not watch much TV.
If you go to the website and watch that video. That is pretty much all they did, over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over
over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over
over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over
over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and overover and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over. :smxE:

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
I have never heard of this thing before and it looks dumb. I find it amazing that such a dumb thing can make so much money, I guess the guy who designed it is laughing all the way to the bank...if he protected the idea.

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX
I assume you do not watch much TV.
If you go to the website and watch that video. That is pretty much all they did, over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over
over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and overover and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over. :smxE:

What I mean is why did the other people not put this on tv so much if they were getting a return on their television ad investments. Something must have been different. And from the results it looks like it must have been quite a bit different. Be interested in hearing HOW they made the difference. As well as how they knew where/with who to put this on tv/market this with where the other companies failed(or at least didn't do close to as well.)

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX

LAbull

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 22, 2007
SoCal
What I mean is why did the other people not put this on tv so much if they were getting a return on their television ad investments. Something must have been different. And from the results it looks like it must have been quite a bit different. Be interested in hearing HOW they made the difference. As well as how they knew where/with who to put this on tv/market this with where the other companies failed(or at least didn't do close to as well.)

It takes alot of money and the company behind Snuggie knows what they are doing. They have done many this times before.

All the successful AS SEEN ON TV products have a very similar format.
Annoying/Catchy Name or Slogan repeated over and over and over (you get the idea :) )
Money behind the product to play that 30 second to 5 minute to 30 minute infomercial multiple times on multiple channels.

-Shamwow
-Magic Jack
-President Obama Plates and other crap

If you ever watch TV you will recognize most of these products:
www.asseenontv.com

Joe Francis nailed it doing the same thing but added SEX to the equation and getting stuck in a contract to purchase that's damn near impossible to get out of.

It's all the same.

Hence why I'm working on my Muscle Toned/Erection/Energy/I'm so Popular Pill.
Advertise this over and over on MTV late at night and everyone between LA and NY will buy it up as long as you throw in a free night light.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
It's really cool for me to look at informercials. I used to just HATE them. But then I started ordering some stuff off of them here and there. Products I would actually like (and do like!). And if I want to sell my products through informercials one day it's cool to see the framework of such a thing!

TOLDUSO

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Nov 29, 2008
New Orleans
I still think the idea was technically stolen, just better marketed. I saw the "Slanket" for sell years ago. Anyone remember?

klh6686

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
Aug 12, 2007
Ga
I've seen those commercials enough to be annnoyed by them now, however I just picture everyone in wizard hats w/ little wizard wands and I get a laugh everytime =p.

CMCarlin

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jan 30, 2008
"Is it a space suit?" LOL

Sometimes it's the really simple ideas, marketed very well, that make the most money. Look at the slinky.

Hence why I'm working on my Muscle Toned/Erection/Energy/I'm so Popular Pill.
Advertise this over and over on MTV late at night and everyone between LA and NY will buy it up as long as you throw in a free night light.

I know of an inbound call center that can help sell that for you! This one is already familiar with that type of product and I myself close on similar products anywhere from 40% to 50% (which is considered 'perfect' for soft offer ads). This place has a solid training program.

imoutthere

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Jan 21, 2009
Va
the upsells on these products are ridiculous also. I bought the pedegg online for my wife and before i could even go to the shopping cart to check out. I was upsold atleast 6 times.

There funnel system through the website is incredible. As soon an you buy one, they offer you a second or third, they offer you the new platinum edition, then some new lotions, then some replacement parts, then a full kit, etc. So before if you even know if the product works, they are prompting you to buy even more of there products accessories.

Now that i think about it, they dont have a follow up email campaign. I was pretty surprised that i havent had a single email from them since going through their sales pages. But, they must have known that it will be easier to sell the accessories upfront, then through the backend funnel system. Guess they were right.

This is Great marketing campaign. I wonder what their upsells are?

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
Is an idea like that protectable? I don't know if it would be. For example the guys before him didn't/couldn't protect it.

Well whoever designed it probably could have gotten a patent on it. If not it just turns into another Swifer story with a big well funded company taking it and crushing the upstart.

If he has no protection of the idea than he must be very good at marketing and low cost production to stay in the game. Still its probably not a long term thing, eventualy the profit is going to be gone.

tbsells

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 27, 2007
Ohio
The commercial was brillant, it had my wife and daughters saying "I want one" every time it ran. I thought it was a joke, but it did appeal to the females. Who's laughing now?

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
we all know its not the idea its the execution. Case in point! Same with slap chop

I dont think these ever went over though, Coleman Fish Pen from Telebrands Corp. Official Page

Anyway, you can see instances of web 2.0 marketing. facebook page youtube videos fan clubs, user submitted photos. Folks if you are in the product business, study how telebrands does it. Even if they didnt do the tv portion they still have the web front on point. Forget protecting the idea, who has time to litigate copycats when they are out selling the one time buyers. this is a $20 product, get it out, get the buzz and sell some product.

even the little things in the infomercial interest me. Did you see whe she turned up the thermostat? Red arrow going up which means warm, green money going up folowing it. subliminal messege. she turns the dial and heat costs a lot of money, so buy a SNUGGIEEE, haha.

michael

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jul 22, 2008
Australia
Brilliant idea, I think it takes as much creativity to rework a poncho into Americas must have accessory as it does to come up with a new an innovative idea, otherwise every 2nd man would be on tv with his own infomercial but the moral is still the same, you don't have to have a brilliant new earth shattering idea to make big money, you can put an new spin and an old boring product and succeed.

On a side note that $20'000'000 must be pocket change for Vince these days :)

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
My point in posting this story is about 2 things:

1) Innovation

- Take something that exists (duh, a blanket for god's sake) and spin it.

and

2) Marketing

- The right marketing message delivered to the right audience makes a world of a difference. This "innovation" was already done -- somebody marketed it better. This is what Peter (Peter2) did before he sold his company.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
OK, now we've found 4 people gullible enough to own a Snuggie .... lets find the other 3,999,996 !

DIRTY_phpy2Irz1.jpg

BeingChewsie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Did you see the new one? The "Snuglette" for kids...They are hugely popular out here, my kids school had a fundraiser and was having them embroidered with the school logo! The next thing will be ones more suited to the beach/swimming/lakes/boating etc for the summer, if not this summer then next summer. Someone will make another $20,000,000.

JayKim

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Sep 4, 2008
Colorado Springs
That part with Jay Leno saying "just put your robe on backwards thats all it is" had me rolling loool.

WildFlower

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Aug 21, 2009
Los Angeles Area
There are a lot of scam infomercial companies.. do your due diligence.. read the contract. Make sure it has an ending date on it.. not open ended etc.

Legit companies go through 10s of 1,000s of products to find only 1-2 a month to move forward on.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.