The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The $800,000,000 dollar man- Jerry Seinfeld- Shares his one secret to success

akbrouwer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, USA
This is an awesome article on how to take your life to the next level.. one simple step and one day at a time.

The simplicity behind it is monumental.

And actually I used this system( slow, steady and consistent action), minus the calendar, to get where I am today.

Most people get burnt out by pulling all nighters and doing work-athons.. I used to do this and get 90% done...

Now I get everything 100% done.. without trying to kill myself.

I would like to hear what people here are doing as their daily action to keep pushing themselves forward. Are you using a system like this? Will you be using a system like this?

Here's the article on Medium.com
https://medium.com/@bestselfco/the-jerry-seinfeld-and-john-grisham-productivity-hack-9047669576f5

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Weaponize

Workin on it!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Nov 15, 2014
Thanks for sharing...

I really like this bit:

Sometimes that one page was completed in mere minutes, while other times it took hours. Regardless of the time it took, he stuck with his commitment and wrote one page every day and the power of momentum and compounding interest has led him to become America’s favorite storyteller.

Persistence creates luck. Persistence creates experience. The power of marginal gains and incremental improvements compound over time into large advancement.

I've never thought of "compound interest" in such a way, actually, in any way directly outside of finance. That's very interesting...

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Seinfeld never came up with this... he laughs when people say he did. His response was 'I don't get it, did you except to get paid without working?'

It's solid advice, like the one I heard years ago -'do something for your biz every day' The compound thing is real, what happens is you advance a bit on a day, and then in a few days you see new opportunities, you're thinking about your biz, you're progressing.. yeah it's wonderful.

Hackdroot

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 11, 2014
“Greatness is a lot of small things done well” Ray Lewis

This concept is the cornerstone of my life. There's an old kids joke that goes: "How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time". It's a common analogy around my house whenever anyone faces a seemingly insurmountable task.

As a hobby, I fly model airplanes. BIG planes. And often times, I crash them (gravity can be a bitch that way). Regardless of the damage I usually show up at my club weeks or months later with the model once again intact and airworthy. Fellow members ask how many hours it took me to repair the damage. I usually can't answer that question. I tell them that I bring home the remains after the crash and set them on a table and walk away. Each day afterwards though, I spend at least 15 minutes working on it. Glue a piece here and there, straighten out something, etc. Even if I spend only 10 minutes a day, eventually I will finish the repair, it's inevitable. As I get closer to completion my motivation and momentum increases and I spend more time on it.

People avoid these small steps because they are intimidated by the long process and big picture. Plus, people are creatures of habit and many are just generally lazy. It doesn't provide instant gratification, so it's not worth doing.

akbrouwer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, USA

This concept is the cornerstone of my life. There's an old kids joke that goes: "How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time". It's a common analogy around my house whenever anyone faces a seemingly insurmountable task.

As a hobby, I fly model airplanes. BIG planes. And often times, I crash them (gravity can be a bitch that way). Regardless of the damage I usually show up at my club weeks or months later with the model once again intact and airworthy. Fellow members ask how many hours it took me to repair the damage. I usually can't answer that question. I tell them that I bring home the remains after the crash and set them on a table and walk away. Each day afterwards though, I spend at least 15 minutes working on it. Glue a piece here and there, straighten out something, etc. Even if I spend only 10 minutes a day, eventually I will finish the repair, it's inevitable. As I get closer to completion my motivation and momentum increases and I spend more time on it.

People avoid these small steps because they are intimidated by the long process and big picture. Plus, people are creatures of habit and many are just generally lazy. It doesn't provide instant gratification, so it's not worth doing.

Love this analogy.. thanks for sharing

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida

Yep, the willpower muscle atrophies if not used. Starting from 0 is always a huge task. After a few days of repeated actions it is 70% easier to again do what was so hard just a few days ago. If you are there starting at that impossible start, do something small, accomplish something (even if it is unrelated like cleanign the house or doing 30 pushups) and it will help with momentum. Also focus is a biggie. Literally just sitting down and saying "i'm just doing this."

Kingmaker

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Jan 26, 2013
San Diego
I use system over goals too, it's amazing for getting shit done. If you're just starting out on it, or coming out of a lazy slump, I found the two methods below to be solid jump-starts:

15 minute drill:
If you feel stuck, or like you’re in a procrastination mode, set yourself a timer for 15 minutes.

If you stop after 15 minutes of working, that’s fine, but very often, within that 15 minutes, whatever feelings of procrastination or laziness you had are gone and you can push through and get quite a bit done.

1 task:
Similar to the above method, but you are picking 1 task to get done.

Key here: do not stop until you are 100% done with the task. No matter how hard it is or how stuck you are. Handle that shit. Figure it out. The feeling of accomplishment after will be totally worth it, motivating you to do even more tasks.

James Thornton

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Oct 31, 2014
^This works, just get started. Also...

"People overestimate what can be accomplished in a day, but underestimate what can be accomplished in a month if they slightly lower the bar, but are just consistent."

Heard Tim Ferris say that on a podcast, and find it to be really useful. Doesn't have to be a power session. Chip away at a project every single day, and it adds up. Works for exercise, too.

Mr.B

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Nov 8, 2014
Australia
Yep, I often use the Pomodoro Technique when I get stuck. It works well for me.

Similar to what @TheKing wrote above, I'll commit to completing at least one Pomodoro (i.e. 25 minutes.) If I don't want to continue after that, fine, I'll go for a bike ride or something. But most of the time I'll get 'unstuck' and overcome my resistance and keep working for hours after that initial 25 minute session.

akbrouwer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, USA
^This works, just get started. Also...

"People overestimate what can be accomplished in a day, but underestimate what can be accomplished in a month if they slightly lower the bar, but are just consistent."

Heard Tim Ferris say that on a podcast, and find it to be really useful. Doesn't have to be a power session. Chip away at a project every single day, and it adds up. Works for exercise, too.
100% also with years as well.

akbrouwer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, USA
Great post. That tip about the chain of unbroken crosses is powerful.

Has anyone tried the Pomodoro Technique?

Yep, I often use the Pomodoro Technique when I get stuck. It works well for me.

Similar to what @TheKing wrote above, I'll commit to completing at least one Pomodoro (i.e. 25 minutes.) If I don't want to continue after that, fine, I'll go for a bike ride or something. But most of the time I'll get 'unstuck' and overcome my resistance and keep working for hours after that initial 25 minute session.

Ha! Love the Pomodoro Technique.. I actually use it every day.. Made a video for people who are unsure what it is a few weeks back..

You can find the original article here:
http://www.bestself.co/pomodoro-technique-for-entrepreneurs/

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
I will never understand why most people just don't embrace the concept of "baby steps"... bunch of entitled "me" generation bastards... or just human nature? does that make us on this forum less human... or superhuman???? lol

Ma Co

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
362%
Apr 2, 2012
Vietnam
And the great & famous Eugene Schwartz used the 33:33-method to reach his astronomical level of success.

He sat down and set the time to 33:33 minutes, starting to work in laser-focus mode, and stopped after the beep.
After a short break he went back to work.

About 6 sessions per day granted him more value output than the default 8hours of the average dabbling-around-worker

Kevin Peter

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jun 2, 2015
I feel the need of no-brainer way to track time help the team improve time management and get productive. A tool for tracking the time makes life easier handling the essentials.

Mr.B

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Nov 8, 2014
Australia
I feel the need of no-brainer way to track time help the team improve time management and get productive. A tool for tracking the time makes life easier handling the essentials.

There are so many time tracking tools out there that it isn't funny. There are manual ones, automatic ones, personal ones and corporate ones. There are little ones, confusing ones, black ones and ones that run on your watch.

But none of them are going to make your team 'get productive'.

What's driving your team? What is their 'Why'?

akbrouwer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, USA
What's driving your team? What is their 'Why'?

This is the ultimate question you should be asking.. every day...

Tobore

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Nov 30, 2013
Above and Beyond
The Slight Edge

Yes! It is likely the ultimate secret to success.

It gives you time to reflect, think properly and adjust.

One brick a day can create a castle with time...It crushes conventional wisdom of "fire till you burn out", "work 25 hours a day" etc.

Also, gratitude for each daily task rightly accomplishment puts an icing on the cake, for me.

and when it all comes crashing down...I just pick myself up and start building again.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.