The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The 4 Hour Work Week Vs. Millionaire Fastlane

SeePetey

Highly Trained Ape
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Mar 8, 2012
Elsewhere
I got on the 4HWW hating fan-boy bus awhile back, but after reading it again (it serves its regular rotation by the toilet along with my other favorite books), I've decided that it's a good book that I will hang on to and keep reading.

I like Scott Adams' "Two-Movie" reality theory. Two people can see/read/hear the exact same thing, and get wildly different conclusions from it.

Some people read a religious text and are inspired to serve their fellow men, others read the same and are inspired to kill their fellow men...and others never really read it but quote from or slander it because they think it makes them sound smart or they want to impress someone.

I can see someone like MJ not enjoying 4HWW because he's already been-there-done-that, and he did it his way. It's not relevant to him.

But it has been very relevant and valuable to me. I credit 4HWW with figuratively getting me out of "first gear" career-wise and opening my eyes to the possibilities that are out there. Do I dream of lounging on the beach in a hammock managing a business? Sure, who doesn't? But honestly, only an unrealistic moron would think that this book will literally make this a reality for them.

Personal witness follows: I know a former USMC grunt who became an aircraft mechanic and FAA certified inspector. He found a copy of 4HWW somewhere, read just the part about outsourcing work, Googled "Freelancing", found Elance, then spent 6 months working with couple of freelancers to program an aircraft maintenance record management system and associated apps which he sold for enough to pay off his house in Denver and his car.

So is 4HWW the best thing ever? Should it be compared to Unscripted or TMF ? No, and...sort of no. All are tools in your entrepreneurial toolbox, along with the other gems that we all discuss on these forums. Just be careful not to trash too harshly what could be a valuable resource to someone else lest you deprive them of something they might learn or need.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

whiz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
356%
Nov 29, 2017
New Jersey
Read both. TMF had more of an emotional impact on me. It was written from a more pure place.

It spoke to my core:

FlipFlops

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Nov 26, 2017
Poipu, Kauai, HI
I try to read two books a week, one for pleasure, one for self help.
Probably end up reading a book a week.
Get about 1/2 way through most self help books and toss them.
Most profound statements/ideas/common sense can be summed up in a few words. If you spend 60 minutes a day thinking/brainstorming, you’ll come up with the same ideas as most books.

I love Magnus Walker, “Go with your gut.”
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KDQrMoksJ4Q

Just my $0.02

splok

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jul 20, 2012
Personal witness follows: I know a former USMC grunt who became an aircraft mechanic and FAA certified inspector. He found a copy of 4HWW somewhere, read just the part about outsourcing work, Googled "Freelancing", found Elance, then spent 6 months working with couple of freelancers to program an aircraft maintenance record management system and associated apps which he sold for enough to pay off his house in Denver and his car.

This is what I think is great about Tim and the 4HWW. It's about exposing people to options that they didn't know existed. Its easy for us to forget that the default state of mind for the vast majority of the planet is that it's impossible for them to start and succeed at their own business. Sure Tim self promotes and is a pretty bad writer, but the message still has impact and value for a lot of people.

I think people also overlook some of the tactics that the book gave mass exposure too, like split testing and market testing. Pretty common knowledge to us now, here on this forum, but to random, normal people 10 years ago? The idea that you could spend a few buck to toss up an ad on google or facebook to validate your product idea without even having a prototype? Practically magic, and it turned the light on for a LOT of people.

RoyRogers

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Dec 8, 2017
Los Angeles
Take what is best in Both. You can get gems of good information when you read different books. Challenge is to shift through the info and get what works best for your circumstances and philosophy

Kohaku

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 1, 2018
Ivory Coast
I read both.

I didn't finish the 4HWW but it had a lot of great pieces of advice and resources. This book isn't about working four hours and succeed (many people already said that here). It isn't either about a blueprint to reach wealth (if you want to attain that goal read the MFL), just something to help you finance your lifestyle and be able to telecommute.

YES!! It's true that Tim Ferriss is a "cult leader", he wants you to join the "New rich". There are also things completely BS that don't work unless you're Tim Ferriss like "improve your reading speed by 200% and be in the top 1% of world's best readers" (sorry you have to have incredible photographic memory for that) BUT he really gives great resources for outsourcing, manufacturing your products, outsourcing your customer service etc... It's really good!!

I just finished reading the MFS and it gave me the fire to travel my own fastlane. Thanks to Mr DeMarco for that. If you want to just improve your lifestyle read the 4HWW, if you want to become filfthy rich read the MFS.

ay47

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Mar 29, 2018
Read both. I do think 4HWW panders to a crowd that craves the “system”. These are the type of pp who are more likely to love mlm, franchises, get rich scheme etc. They want you to give them the whole she bang so you can get “passive income” quickly. It sells these people a dream and Tim is a relentlessly good marketer.

The book itself gives you loads of ideas on time optimisation etc. I do still use some of the tactics today. Batching e-mail reading, optimising working from home etc.

MLF gives you a large dose of reality. You want a get rich quick scheme? Here it is: help a million people. It made me re-look at my life and business. Plus it introduced me to this awesome forum :D

GDIBass

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Mar 1, 2018
San Diego
Read both. Not a fan of 4HWW or Tim Ferris.

I had to put 4HWW down when he started talking about pretending to be an expert in order to sell books. He's literally telling you that you're funding his "pretend to be an expert" strategy... it's his go to. Pretend to be an expert, write a book, slap "4 hour <insert subject>" on the cover and collect the money.

It just comes across as... well, bullshit.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.