The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

TFF CONSISTENCY & ACCOUNTABILITY COLLECTIVE TRACKER

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

MILIANARD134

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Mar 22, 2018
France
Wakeup TimeReadingFoodBed timeWorkCleaningRunningVaisselleMzGymMoney made tday (not work)Talk to strangers
19/07/2019 ven. 12h2710 pages4h30NO 45NOShoulder day
20/07/2019 sam.6h1410 pages 00h30OUIWalk 45YES OUIArms day
21/07/2019 dim.12h3010 pages 23h37NOWalk+45YES Back Day
22/07/2019 lun.12H4010 pages3h19NOWalk 45 NOLeg day
23/07/2019 mar.12h0610 pages 2h46YES Walk 45x2YES Chest day
24/07/2019 mer.9h2610 pages3h10NoCardio 45 + w45YES BACK DAY0YES
25/07/2019 jeu.8h2210 pages22h04YES Hiking (2h)YES YesREST DAY130NO
26/07/2019 ven.11h2010 pages1h50NOCARDIO+WALKYES SHOULER DAY3NO

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MILIANARD134

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Mar 22, 2018
France
I really need to learn how to master sheets, i added some colors, but its annoying to post all my sh*t everytime, for me and for you guys^^.
By the way, i read that some of you do visualisation, how does it work exactly ? And how does it work for you ?

EricFromCanada

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 19, 2017
Canada
Stats from today. Got distracted tonight and wasn't able to put in nearly enough time on the business as I had hoped. Going to bed early tonight so I can get up much earlier tomorrow and put in a solid full day of work with no distractions.

DateWake up TimeBed TimeReadingWorkoutMeditation Time wasted on YouTube + Social mediaBusinessTo Do List CompleteVisualization / Big Picture Review
7/23/2019 - Tue6:4511:0030 minsLegs25 minsDev - 3 HoursNo
7/24/2019 - Wed6:4011:05Chest & Tri47 minsDesign - 2 HoursNo
7/25/2019 - Thu6:4011:4545 minsRest day43 minsBiz - 4 HoursYes
7/26/2019 - Fri6:459:1520 mins19 minsDesign - 1 HourNo

MILIANARD134

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Mar 22, 2018
France
Wakeup TimeReadingFoodBed timeWorkCleaningRunningVaisselleMzGym
19/07/2019 ven. 12h2710 pages4h30NO 45NOShoulder day
20/07/2019 sam.6h1410 pages 00h30OUIWalk 45YES OUIArms day
21/07/2019 dim.12h3010 pages 23h37NOWalk+45YES Back Day
22/07/2019 lun.12H4010 pages3h19NOWalk 45 NOLeg day
23/07/2019 mar.12h0610 pages 2h46YES Walk 45x2YES Chest day
24/07/2019 mer.9h2610 pages3h10NoCardio 45 + w45YES BACK DAY
25/07/2019 jeu.8h2210 pages22h04YES Hiking (2h)YES YesREST DAY
26/07/2019 ven.11h2010 pages1h50NOCARDIO+WALKYES SHOULER DAY
27/07/2019 sam.9h220 pages2h52NOWalk 45YES ARMS DAY

EricFromCanada

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 19, 2017
Canada
DateWake up TimeBed TimeReadingWorkoutMeditation Time wasted on YouTube + Social mediaBusinessTo Do List CompleteVisualization / Big Picture Review
7/27/2019 - Sat5:0511:0010 minsBack & Biceps1h 40 minsBiz - 9 hoursYES15 mins

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011
Great to see others are more consistent than I've managed.

Week 1:

Reasons (or excuses?):
  • Life dealt me a tough hand this week. I could have played it much better though, but at least I learned - a lot.
  • Initially, this spreadsheet had 8 more columns, for personal stuff like nutrition, learning new skills etc. It was all to easy to focus on those easier things first, so that at the end of the day I'm like "hey, I'm starting to get consistent at some things, can't do all at once!". But then the next day these less important things take priority again to "not break the thread".
  • Not decisive enough, which slows things down. E.g.the above 3h were spent on contemplating a single decision. Had I made it already, I'd have more hours in total.
Next week:
  • I'll just have these two columns. It's two business ideas, but very complementary, so hopefully it won't affect focus. As soon as I see one of the ideas working, I'd focus on it fully.
  • I'll make it a point to first work an hour on each of these before proceeding with anything else. Of course, I'll try to work more hours, but this should at least assure consistency, and hopefully get into a habit. It should help with "life getting in the way". First this, then everything else.
  • I'll set weekly goals.
Thoughts:
  • I like seeing where my hours are going, and find this spreadsheet approach really practical.
  • We need to budget our time like we budget our money, if not more keenly.
  • So pathetic - 3h out of a week. That would hardly do for a hobby. Nice reality check for me.

Womat

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Apr 24, 2019
First check in.png
@S.Y. Do you manually change colors on your spreadsheet or use some sort of formula for it to change automatically?

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
@S.Y. Do you manually change colors on your spreadsheet or use some sort of formula for it to change automatically?

Look at youtube for conditional formatting. You can set cells to change color based on the value you put in them. It's really easy, no need to color code yourself. You set that condition in a "template" sheet that you use to start each new week/month, and just enter your data.

S.Y.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 4, 2017
Canada

I use conditionnal formating to change the color.

For yes/no activities, I enter y or n
- if I put y it becomes green
- if I put n then it colors no

So technically what you see in green is y. The trick is to set the same color for thefont color and the fill.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
For those of you tracking this way, 2 notable things here.

#1 Watch out for recording/tracking fatigue. This is something that will grind your progress to a halt trying to be too granular, too often. Make sure you are hitting the biggest points, not everything you do. You also have to watch out for your bad days where you don't track or forget, it can get you off pattern and also blow progress.

#2 is Pain vs pleasure, part of Accountability is about re-balancing the pain vs pleasure of doing new habits. If there is nothing painful about not tracking things daily, or you don't have an outcome or measure of success by tracking this granular, stop now and figure it out. You have to drive towards an outcome and realize that success to set it in long term... otherwise it'll fizzle out over time.

MILIANARD134

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Mar 22, 2018
France
26137Capture d’écran 2019-07-28 à 22.25.39.png
Well today, is time to lower bed habits even if it's im in vacation. Installed Cold turkey to block useless application and installed fluxid on my iphone to block third parties application. Will stop computer at 11 max.
Sports is easy for me, so i am wondering if i should track it. I'm currently struggling with sleep, so lets attack this first.

EricFromCanada

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 19, 2017
Canada
Not a great use of my day considering Saturday and Sunday are the only days where I have no job commitment. Hoping to bounce back tomorrow and put in more hours and fully accomplish my to do list for the day.
7/28/2019 - Sun7:5010:30Chest & Tri1h 24 minsBiz - 4 hoursNo

MILIANARD134

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Mar 22, 2018
France
Well yesterday, shut down my computer at 10.50. Then my mobile phone too, instead of usual tactics i use to sleep. (ASMR yes blame me). I read some pages of a book that i have buyed years ago... Well 160 pages exactly :happy:. It was so awesome to be connected to the book and be present, usually I read my book and then check my mobile phone. And i also really love this book.

Well after my book i tried to medidate 5 minutes, then sleep.
Wake up at 7.18.. Maybe its a bit too early, but for me its great..

Excited !

Womat

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Apr 24, 2019
Not a great use of my day considering Saturday and Sunday are the only days where I have no job commitment. Hoping to bounce back tomorrow and put in more hours and fully accomplish my to do list for the day.
DateWake up TimeBed TimeReadingWorkoutMeditationTime wasted on YouTube + Social mediaBusinessTo Do List CompleteVisualization / Big Picture Review
7/28/2019 - Sun7:5010:30Chest & Tri1h 24 minsBiz - 4 hoursNo
Well done for your constant business development daily. Keep up the hard work!
Just out of curiosity, what does your "Dev" and "Biz" stand for when you work on your business?

Intax

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 27, 2016
Munich, Germany
So I'm in as well. I have big problems with consistency therefore this challenge is perfect for me. I will start with my most important habits and when they are consistent I will extend my sheet.

I'm going to post weekly updates.

Thanks for this idea @458 and to all the contributers here. For me it's really motivating to see what habits you want to develop and how you are progressing!

@LightHouse - I have a question to your #2 point. Do you mean that you should imagine yourself a goal/result which you will likely receive after following x number of days your habit?
And how do you implement not tracking as an painful experience?
Thanks for your post.

Now my stats:

I'm starting with low expectations but everybody has to start somewhere haha

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190729_130152_com.google.android.apps.docs.editors.sheets.jpg
    Screenshot_20190729_130152_com.google.android.apps.docs.editors.sheets.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 1

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
#2 is Pain vs pleasure, part of Accountability is about re-balancing the pain vs pleasure of doing new habits. If there is nothing painful about not tracking things daily, or you don't have an outcome or measure of success by tracking this granular, stop now and figure it out. You have to drive towards an outcome and realize that success to set it in long term... otherwise it'll fizzle out over time.
What would be an example of pain if you fail to track? I've been trying to create a good feedback loop and create simple systems. For example, now, I don't have a goal to lose weight, and I don't track my weight. Instead, I have a system to go to the gym every day, and I still need to come up with a simple eat healthy system.

Today I failed to go to the gym.

I had the gym bag pre-packed and my shoes next to my bed. I removed the barriers, but still ended up laying in bed instead of going to the gym. I don't even dislike the gym. I actually like it. So, I need to add pain for failure, but haven't figured that out. Anyone have an example?

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
@LightHouse - I have a question to your #2 point. Do you mean that you should imagine yourself a goal/result which you will likely receive after following x number of days your habit?
And how do you implement not tracking as an painful experience?
Thanks for your post.

What would be an example of pain if you fail to track? I've been trying to create a good feedback loop and create simple systems. For example, now, I don't have a goal to lose weight, and I don't track my weight. Instead, I have a system to go to the gym every day, and I still need to come up with a simple eat healthy system.

Today I failed to go to the gym.

I had the gym bag pre-packed and my shoes next to my bed. I removed the barriers, but still ended up laying in bed instead of going to the gym. I don't even dislike the gym. I actually like it. So, I need to add pain for failure, but haven't figured that out. Anyone have an example?

Sure, thanks to both of you for the great question. Attaching pain is different for everyone, you have to try different methods, but they all start the same, you have to identify the reason you are doing something first. Once you have that...

What is at stake if you DON'T do it?

Let's use the gym example. There are two primary reasons one goes to the gym, health and vanity (not a negative thing).

So once you identify which it is in your mind (and honestly for the gym, once you start going and see how it sets you up day to day physically and mentally your body takes the habit over, vs your mind and will power anyway) ... you can figure out what's at stake if you do not.

Trying to improve your look to get a significant other, if you don't go, you are no closer to that goal then when you started, you will be a fat loser sitting on the couch letting life fly by in no time! Sweet right? That's the guy/girl you've always dreamed of being right?

Let's use social leverage here too... what do your friends, family, potential mates think and say about you? Are you just the fat guy sitting around not doing shit in life? That sounds like the type of dude everyone wants to date!

@G-Man Keep in mind I am not talking about you here, just using your example .

On top of that, once you have your reasons and what's at stake, you can set up with a friend or even web apps that use escrow to increase the pain, You miss the gym today? send $100 to a competitor via a buy, or an opposing political party, or Scientology , or whatever it is that you don't want to win in life.... because let's face it, if you aren't trying to beat them everyday, you are helping them anyway so might as well speed it up right?

This is the foam on the latte in terms of strategies and tactics, part of the reason I do this as a coach is because I tailor fit it to each client. That being said, if you are committed to the process, find a few methods that you think might work, and start .... literally today.

The reason this is the only bold part of this post, if you leave the site of a plan without taking action, you already started failing it.

@G-Man you know what this means for you.... get that $100 out and send it off. I bet you wont miss the gym the rest of the week.

View attachment 26156

I'm starting with low expectations but everybody has to start somewhere haha

Wanted to bring something up here specifically, your target "talking to pretty girls" What does that do for you long term? what is the ultimate goal there and is that the best use of your time to accomplish it? (no right or wrong answer here)

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
Sure, thanks to both of you for the great question. Attaching pain is different for everyone, you have to try different methods, but they all start the same, you have to identify the reason you are doing something first. Once you have that...

What is at stake if you DON'T do it?

Let's use the gym example. There are two primary reasons one goes to the gym, health and vanity (not a negative thing).

So once you identify which it is in your mind (and honestly for the gym, once you start going and see how it sets you up day to day physically and mentally your body takes the habit over, vs your mind and will power anyway) ... you can figure out what's at stake if you do not.

Trying to improve your look to get a significant other, if you don't go, you are no closer to that goal then when you started, you will be a fat loser sitting on the couch letting life fly by in no time! Sweet right? That's the guy/girl you've always dreamed of being right?

Let's use social leverage here too... what do your friends, family, potential mates think and say about you? Are you just the fat guy sitting around not doing shit in life? That sounds like the type of dude everyone wants to date!

@G-Man Keep in mind I am not talking about you here, just using your example .

On top of that, once you have your reasons and what's at stake, you can set up with a friend or even web apps that use escrow to increase the pain, You miss the gym today? send $100 to a competitor via a buy, or an opposing political party, or Scientology , or whatever it is that you don't want to win in life.... because let's face it, if you aren't trying to beat them everyday, you are helping them anyway so might as well speed it up right?

This is the foam on the latte in terms of strategies and tactics, part of the reason I do this as a coach is because I tailor fit it to each client. That being said, if you are committed to the process, find a few methods that you think might work, and start .... literally today.

The reason this is the only bold part of this post, if you leave the site of a plan without taking action, you already started failing it.

@G-Man you know what this means for you.... get that $100 out and send it off. I bet you wont miss the gym the rest of the week.

Wanted to bring something up here specifically, your target "talking to pretty girls" What does that do for you long term? what is the ultimate goal there and is that the best use of your time to accomplish it? (no right or wrong answer here)
Ok so I thought about it, and here are my gym reasons, other than the obvious I don't wanna be fat anymore.
  1. I want to live as many years as I can to watch my children grow
  2. I want to set an example of good habits and help my kids develop good habits so they don't struggle with controlling their weight like I have all my life.
I looked into Stickk and a couple other things based on your recommendation above, but they seem to be low stakes and require self reporting. How do I build an inescapable doomsday device?

Like, for example, if I don't send a google location share from the gym every day to prove I was there, someone who has my Amex donates $100 to a certain geriatric communist who is running for President.

JordanK

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Feb 17, 2014
Ireland
I’m not happy. Trying to transition from working nights and sleeping days is painful. I’m also in a significant grind period at work & I have been really sick over the last week. Now that all my embarrassing excuses are out of the way. I promise to myself to be better this week.

Attachments

• 5D984039-C720-42CD-A6F2-F1D97BC4F0B4.jpeg
    5D984039-C720-42CD-A6F2-F1D97BC4F0B4.jpeg
    271.9 KB · Views: 5

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Thanks for the idea of doing this on Google sheets rather than just an excel sheet, that gives me the ability to use it on my phone quickly. something that I never even thought of.

I recently finished reading Atomic Habits, and in that he talks about something similar. I am going with a simpler format than you, but the idea is the same. I am stealing your idea for an actual time on when you woke up. That is way cooler than just a yes or a no.

I am trying to break some bad habits, and create good ones. For now I have things like "Spanish, do all dishes before bed, read to baby, play guitar" on the sheet. Days I complete get an X, days I fail are a horrible blank. So far even doing this has made me really strive to actually do it. Adding more and more to the list all the time.

EricFromCanada

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 19, 2017
Canada
Well done for your constant business development daily. Keep up the hard work!
Just out of curiosity, what does your "Dev" and "Biz" stand for when you work on your business?
My business is a VR application used to help businesses & other organizations.
Dev: time spent programming/developing the application in Unity.
Biz: time spent emailing new clients, working on generating sales, reviewing finances, etc.
Design: time spent reviewing and making changes to the design of the app & my website.

EricFromCanada

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 19, 2017
Canada
Starting Week 2 now:
Pretty happy overall with how today went. Was able to limit distractions and finished two business tasks that I had been putting off.
Goals for this week:
-Begin waking up at 5:00 am and putting in an extra 1.5 hours of work on my business before my job starts.
-Meditate every day this week for at least 10 minutes.

7/29/2019 - Mon6:359:3020 minsLegs10 mins12 minsBiz - 2.5 hoursYES15 mins

Chx

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
307%
Feb 6, 2018
United States
DayWakeup timeWorkReadingLiftingCardioNofapVolunteerMeditationPlanned next dayBed time
Sun 7/28/197:20 AM2h60m0m 90m32 days0m10myes10:15 PM
Mon 7/29/197:20 AM5h20m10m0m90m33 days0m15myes10:15 PM
Tue 7/30/196:30 AM6h0m10m80m34 days0m0myes10:30 PM
Wed 7/31/196:30 AM2h0m120m90m35 days0m0mno11:00 PM
Thu 8/1/196:30 AM1h0m90m90m36 days0m0mno3:30 AM
Fri 8/2/198:30 AM3h30m60m0m0 days0m30myes9:55 PM
Sat 8/3/195:45 AM1h45m2h15m0m1 day6h10mno10:30 PM

Last edited:

MILIANARD134

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Mar 22, 2018
France
Sleeping is getting better...

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2019-07-30 à 22.18.22.png
    Capture d’écran 2019-07-30 à 22.18.22.png
    464.9 KB · Views: 10

EricFromCanada

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 19, 2017
Canada
Got a bit distracted at the end of the day. Was able to get a lot done in the morning.
7/29/2019 - Mon6:359:3020 minsLegs10 mins12 minsBiz - 2.5 hoursYES15 mins
7/30/2019 - Tue5:0510:0010 minsRest day10 mins60 minsBiz - 4 hoursNo

BlackMagician

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Jul 18, 2018
Mumbai, India
5 Days update:

DateWakeup TimeRunningMeditationReadingExercisePrayerCalorie SurplusProspectingHustle HoursStrongLift 5x5
7/27/20199:00 AM2 km5 min20 minNo0None8 hour
7/28/20199:00 AM05 min20 minYes0None5 hourBasic Stretch
7/29/20199:00 AM00 min20 minNo0None5 hour
7/30/20198:00 AM05 min40 minNo01 Prospect1 hour
7/31/20197:00 AM010 min40 minYes0Yes3 hourFull body basic workout

S.Y.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 4, 2017
Canada
Check-in #2.

I removed the Deep Work. For now, it is too subjective. I am not too sure how to properly track it. I will reconsider than in the future.

Aside from that, I have been doing calendar blocking. I do two things:
1. Block time in advance. It forces me to be mindful with my time. It was annoying in the beginning. But now I am looking back and wondering why I wasn't doing it.
2. Look back and accurately reflect what happened. (if a block I scheduled get spent doing other things, I update it)

I am getting some good insights and experimenting around. One thing that popped up is the amount of time I spent commuting. Which for the last few days I have leveraged by doing other things.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.