The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Tai Lopez Marketing Strategy

Mr4213

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
May 9, 2016
Not asking for my BS meter to be honed. I think its pretty obvious what Tai Lopez is doing.

Wanted to get thoughts from other fastlaners

My question is this

Is his main reason for success his marketing ability? I was analyzing him and his site

He runs a STRONG marketing campaign and uses multiple marketing strategies

I do not really see any real value from him though. Other than reading (If he even does that) a lot of books and then talking about them and then posting random things on top of that. One example would be when he posted a video of him with a playboy model. I think that was just clever marketing.

Is this a good example of a s**** product marketed amazingly? Or am I missing something?

If so I think a lot could be learned from his marketing campaign.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mr4213

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
May 9, 2016
@Empires

I glanced over that thread before I posted. It was more of a "wtf does he do" post. They did not go into detail about his actual marketing strategies (unless I missed it) which is what I am really interested in

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
They did not go into detail about his actual marketing strategies (unless I missed it) which is what I am really interested in
Normally I wouldn't reply to another Tai thread, but I'm interested in learning his marketing strategy, so I'll give my view on it.

There is an entire market that is struggling in life, and feels stuck, wanting more.

He provides them the hope and belief that something more is possible in life. The real value that I see him delivering is helping inspire people to live better, healthier lives.

His market doesn't know the 'marketing strategies' he uses like us fastlaners do.

Here in my backyard video: (Someone post it if you can find it, I can only find the parody)

He matches the tonality and body language of his target audience. He does this because 93% of communication is non-verbal. He has a 'depressed' kind of voice because that is his market. He uses hand gestures that show that he's nervous.

He does this because people like and trust people who are similar to them.

Most people don't pay attention to the unconscious communication, but that is what he is doing - to build rapport with his target market by showing that he is like them.

The only difference is that he is standing behind a multi-million dollar 16-bedroom mansion, with exotic sports cars, a pool, cabanas, private basketball court. So the audience is intrigued how someone similar to them, can live in a house like that.

2. He uses open loops. Talks about 3 things that are important and then keeps jumping to a different story. Curiosity is the most powerful emotion so he opens those loops and the only way to close them, and get the answer is to click on the advertisement and go to his website.

3. The best way to grow your business virally is to get other people talk about it to other people. His knowledge and book memes are crafted to stir up people's emotions, so they would parody it and share it through social media to their friends.

The people who are his market respond to what he is doing, and he instantly removes the market that isn't right for him (cough cough - people on here who get all riled up about him).

4. Disassociation - When he says things such as "even today when I am under pressure, I'm not sure what to do...there's these 3 things.." The target market is under pressure and isn't sure what to do, so they relate to him even deeper.

5. He keeps subtly mentioning all the nice things he has with the tonality where the main purpose of the video will be about the three things.

People watch, they are hooked, they see themselves in him, and want what he has - So everything is matched up to what is going on inside the unconscious minds of the viewer.

In summary:
  1. The reader resonates with where they are through his body language, tonality, and story..
  2. How does someone like him (like us) get there?
  3. Then they see where they want to be - mansions, cars, pool, girls at the front door.
#2 can be anything - but in this case, it's his course that will take them from where they are to where they want to be.

Mr4213

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
May 9, 2016
@AndrewNC

Hmmm....very good insight. I noticed a lot of things. But I never stopped and considered the body language he was using to gain trust.

Question for you

As much as people hate him (Which was also a marketing strategy of his) I would like to consider him a master at marketing.

Would you say the same? Why? Why not?

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
I would like to consider him a master at marketing.
I'd focus on you, and not him.

The way this is phrased implies that he has something that you don't, but want. I pay attention to linguistics....

Yes, he definitely knows how to market and sell products - but who cares what he does?

This all comes back to people like us. You and me - how can we apply these lessons to our businesses?

Since I typed up my last post, I went and edited the first chapter of my book, pacing my story in the language of my target market (struggling early stage entrepreneurs), and removed the self-empowering language of where I am now.

This way people can relate to my character, my messages, and my story better.

Mr4213

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
May 9, 2016
Yes, he definitely knows how to market and sell products - but who cares what he does?

This all comes back to people like us. You and me - how can we apply these lessons to our businesses?

This is exactly why I am asking.

If he knows his stuff, and it seems like he does. I want to keep analyzing him, learn his strategies and improve on them.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
This is exactly why I am asking.

If he knows his stuff, and it seems like he does. I want to keep analyzing him, learn his strategies and improve on them.
I'm with you - I just turn it back to you directly because I used to make the mistake of over-analyzing and trying to learn 100 different things...but I never took action on one.

That was a mistake on my part.

Act on one thing, before moving on to the next is a more effective way of doing things.

Not sure if that applies to you, but a lesson for anyone out there reading this.

Mr4213

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
May 9, 2016
I'm with you - I just turn it back to you directly because I used to make the mistake of over-analyzing and trying to learn 100 different things...but I never took action on one.

That was a mistake on my part.

Act on one thing, before moving on to the next is a more effective way of doing things.

Not sure if that applies to you, but a lesson for anyone out there reading this.

No worries, I appreciate the advice and the insights you provided

Nero55

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Apr 13, 2016
I have bought his 67 steps which costs 67 dollars and has countless hours of footage.And it has been really helpful for me,it provides important insights and knowledge.Don't judge him for his ''free stuff''.His paid content is really exceptional in my opinion

nradam123

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Mar 14, 2016
Even his video is a sales funnel. As he walks he will explain what something in his house is, will show you a few girls as he walks around and it slowly unravels to a call to action in the end of the video. He actually name videos as "10 success tips only top millionaires know" and then explains reasons why no one shares it, then will tell 3 tips in the video and will ask people to click on the link to know the other 7. That will be a link to some affiliate program he is collaborating with.

He is a pro internet marketer. And he definitely spent a lot of years learning and mastering adult dating sales funnels because my friend who introduced me to Tai's material does exactly that, so I can guess. Some pro internet marketers actually spends millions every day but makes profits in tens of thousands on the same day, they have their metrics spot on. Its a skill which will take years to master, Tai has done the work for sure.

He is not a fool like many people think lol.

Nero55

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Apr 13, 2016
Even his video is a sales funnel. As he walks he will explain what something in his house is, will show you a few girls as he walks around and it slowly unravels to a call to action in the end of the video. He actually name videos as "10 success tips only top millionaires know" and then explains reasons why no one shares it, then will tell 3 tips in the video and will ask people to click on the link to know the other 7. That will be a link to some affiliate program he is collaborating with.

He is a pro internet marketer. And he definitely spent a lot of years learning and mastering adult dating sales funnels because my friend who introduced me to Tai's material does exactly that, so I can guess. Some pro internet marketers actually spends millions every day but makes profits in tens of thousands on the same day, they have their metrics spot on. Its a skill which will take years to master, Tai has done the work for sure.

Not want to make you sad but his paid content is pure footage where he talks and explains in front of a camera,alone.It is not that wise to judge somebody when you have not seen all ''sides'' of him.A lot of people are actually doing this,I really do not understand why.

Mr4213

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
May 9, 2016
Not want to make you sad but his paid content is pure footage where he talks and explains in front of a camera,alone.It is not that wise to judge somebody when you have not seen all ''sides'' of him.A lot of people are actually doing this,I really do not understand why.

No one asked about his free content or anything. I am asking about his marketing strategies. I am not hating on Tai Lopez believe me. I actually think he is quite the marketer and a lot could be learned from him.

Mr4213

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
May 9, 2016

Appreciate the insight.

nradam123

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Mar 14, 2016

Dude, I told his history is adult dating site. They sell d*ck pumps, snake oils and fake-married woman. Its all fake, but it sells because people want it and internet marketers make money.

And most people wont even try long enough those pumps, oil and dating accounts to know if it works or not, they will think they just failed. Same goes to his information products. MJ talks about scam infomercials and Tai is no different. But those infomercial gurus are pros in their game, just like Tai.

Nero55

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Apr 13, 2016
Dude, I told his history is adult dating site. They sell d*ck pumps, snake oils and fake-married woman. Its all fake, but it sells because people want it and internet marketers make money.

And most people wont even try long enough those pumps, oil and dating accounts to know if it works or not, they will think they just failed. Same goes to his information products. MJ talks about scam infomercials and Tai is no different. But those infomercial gurus are pros in their game, just like Tai.

My question is how do you know he's a scam?How exactly are you telling that when you haven't watched any of his programs(talking about the 67 steps which is considered as the basic one).A lot of people are hating on him and haven't even watched his videos.

I mean come on man..I am currently watching the 67 steps and his content is freaking good.Not to mention that he has insights which are more likely to be based on MJ's book.

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
Normally I wouldn't reply to another Tai thread, but I'm interested in learning his marketing strategy, so I'll give my view on it.

There is an entire market that is struggling in life, and feels stuck, wanting more.

He provides them the hope and belief that something more is possible in life. The real value that I see him delivering is helping inspire people to live better, healthier lives.

His market doesn't know the 'marketing strategies' he uses like us fastlaners do.

Here in my backyard video: (Someone post it if you can find it, I can only find the parody)

He matches the tonality and body language of his target audience. He does this because 93% of communication is non-verbal. He has a 'depressed' kind of voice because that is his market. He uses hand gestures that show that he's nervous.

He does this because people like and trust people who are similar to them.

Most people don't pay attention to the unconscious communication, but that is what he is doing - to build rapport with his target market by showing that he is like them.

The only difference is that he is standing behind a multi-million dollar 16-bedroom mansion, with exotic sports cars, a pool, cabanas, private basketball court. So the audience is intrigued how someone similar to them, can live in a house like that.

2. He uses open loops. Talks about 3 things that are important and then keeps jumping to a different story. Curiosity is the most powerful emotion so he opens those loops and the only way to close them, and get the answer is to click on the advertisement and go to his website.

3. The best way to grow your business virally is to get other people talk about it to other people. His knowledge and book memes are crafted to stir up people's emotions, so they would parody it and share it through social media to their friends.

The people who are his market respond to what he is doing, and he instantly removes the market that isn't right for him (cough cough - people on here who get all riled up about him).

4. Disassociation - When he says things such as "even today when I am under pressure, I'm not sure what to do...there's these 3 things.." The target market is under pressure and isn't sure what to do, so they relate to him even deeper.

5. He keeps subtly mentioning all the nice things he has with the tonality where the main purpose of the video will be about the three things.

People watch, they are hooked, they see themselves in him, and want what he has - So everything is matched up to what is going on inside the unconscious minds of the viewer.

In summary:
  1. The reader resonates with where they are through his body language, tonality, and story..
  2. How does someone like him (like us) get there?
  3. Then they see where they want to be - mansions, cars, pool, girls at the front door.
#2 can be anything - but in this case, it's his course that will take them from where they are to where they want to be.

Gold post nomination.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
There is already quite a long thread about him:

True, however I'm allowing the thread to ride (with a title change) since this was a specific inquiry into his marketing ... which I think we can all agree, has been pretty effective and pulling eyeballs.

nradam123

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Mar 14, 2016
My question is how do you know he's a scam?How exactly are you telling that when you haven't watched any of his programs(talking about the 67 steps which is considered as the basic one).A lot of people are hating on him and haven't even watched his videos.

I mean come on man..I am currently watching the 67 steps and his content is freaking good.Not to mention that he has insights which are more likely to be based on MJ's book.

i bought the 67 steps when it was 5$, when he first started it.
If you find it effective please use it, the guys gives a lot of free value in Youtube as well. I just thought its repeating.

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
True, however I'm allowing the thread to ride (with a title change) since this was a specific inquiry into his marketing ... which I think we can all agree, has been pretty effective and pulling eyeballs.

Lol, exactly.

@AndrewNC already contributed more to this thread - with his first post - than the entire aggregated amount of value of all the posts in the other thread combined.

I rather like where this one is going.

The first thread was bro science and memes.

This thread could be like the real science, talking to the doctor, the psychologist, the... neurologist?

Perhaps Mr. NC can break down any of Tai's use of NLP.

@axiom and @Cyriex ... what do you think of this hypothesis:

Tai Lopez is a master of the 48 Laws of Power (others have suggested this in the past).

Look at his moves. Are they not rather formless? Does he not conceal his sources of income (clearly, he does, since people have to ask WTF Does Tai Lopez do?)

Does Tai explicitly and implicitly, directly and indirectly apply these laws?

He certainly appeals to the self-interest
of those hungry for wealth.

Some have said that some or all of Tai Lopez's cool stuff (the cars, the homes, etc) aren't his, are rented, whatever. If so, then he is simply acting as a King to be treated as a king.

When Tai Lopez interviews high-profile people - like Mark Cuban - he uses the reversal of Law 1: He focuses the attention on the master's glory, and in turn basks in the light himself.

He doesn't appear too perfect does he? Nah, bro. He's just a regular guy, like you... except he's rich... and knows how to make you rich too.

His message certainly reflects a sense of mastery of timing. The millennials and even older audiences out there are desperate for a change, starving for a way to survive and thrive in today's new economy.

Mr4213

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
May 9, 2016
I think he just sells a s**** product like other gurus. I've watched some of his 67 steps off of a friends account before. I could not even keep watching because he bounces around too much and never got to the point. A lot of fluff and bs.

I like how he has managed to separate himself from the business. He has staff and other departments now which I assume run things for him...Unless that is also a marketing ploy to "Act big"

He is just more successful at marketing than them IMHO

D

Deleted20833

If you want to know his marketing strategy
then watch the documentary called

Merchant of Cool

Pay attention when they start talking about
how MTV makes a billion dollars in profits
per year

twdavis

The Danger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Jul 20, 2013
I'm not gonna hate on the dude at all. He's a master marketer.

To some degree, the value he provides is in his "67 steps" and the hope that he provides to the everyman, as stated above.

He's got a hell of a lot more going in and out of his bank account than the rest of us...so in my opinion, no matter how you feel about him there's a lesson to be learned.

;)

bob johnson

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Dec 15, 2015
I'm not gonna hate on the dude at all. He's a master marketer.

To some degree, the value he provides is in his "67 steps" and the hope that he provides to the everyman, as stated above.

He's got a hell of a lot more going in and out of his bank account than the rest of us...so in my opinion, no matter how you feel about him there's a lesson to be learned.

;)

D

Deleted35442

Lol, exactly.

@AndrewNC already contributed more to this thread - with his first post - than the entire aggregated amount of value of all the posts in the other thread combined.

I rather like where this one is going.

The first thread was bro science and memes.

This thread could be like the real science, talking to the doctor, the psychologist, the... neurologist?

Perhaps Mr. NC can break down any of Tai's use of NLP.

@axiom and @Cyriex ... what do you think of this hypothesis:

Tai Lopez is a master of the 48 Laws of Power (others have suggested this in the past).

Look at his moves. Are they not rather formless? Does he not conceal his sources of income (clearly, he does, since people have to ask WTF Does Tai Lopez do?)

Does Tai explicitly and implicitly, directly and indirectly apply these laws?

He certainly appeals to the self-interest
of those hungry for wealth.

Some have said that some or all of Tai Lopez's cool stuff (the cars, the homes, etc) aren't his, are rented, whatever. If so, then he is simply acting as a King to be treated as a king.

When Tai Lopez interviews high-profile people - like Mark Cuban - he uses the reversal of Law 1: He focuses the attention on the master's glory, and in turn basks in the light himself.

He doesn't appear too perfect does he? Nah, bro. He's just a regular guy, like you... except he's rich... and knows how to make you rich too.

His message certainly reflects a sense of mastery of timing. The millennials and even older audiences out there are desperate for a change, starving for a way to survive and thrive in today's new economy.
This F*cking guy again. Of all the other role models from private equity managers to fortune 500 CEOs the one constant here if nothing else, is the weekly re-emergence of a Tai Lopez thread. The guy is a con artist. He makes money but so do a lot of other guys like him in the bowels of the OTC markets raising millions on dogshit companies. That $100+ you spend on Lopez would get you many physical books from Amazon used that are x1000 better.

zbills.jpg

Each one of these men make over a billion per year. While we're asking ourselves "WTF does Tai Lopez do?" they'd be asking "Who the F*ck is Tai Lopez?"

Still, it's not a good time to be a HF Manager: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ose-quarter-of-assets-blackstone-s-james-says

What's my hypothesis @Ubermensch? I can read too and obscurely repackage some references from The Success Principles, The Psychology of Persuasion, or 48 Laws of Power and everyone would think I'm just as cash as Tai Lopez. This is the type of marketing people should be looking at.

I'll leave you all with this.

57688479.jpg

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Jun 3, 2015
He wears Adidas trainers with a Versace suit; need I say more?

Growth & Learn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jan 1, 2015
Southern California
Not asking for my BS meter to be honed. I think its pretty obvious what Tai Lopez is doing.

Wanted to get thoughts from other fastlaners

My question is this

Is his main reason for success his marketing ability? I was analyzing him and his site

He runs a STRONG marketing campaign and uses multiple marketing strategies

I do not really see any real value from him though. Other than reading (If he even does that) a lot of books and then talking about them and then posting random things on top of that. One example would be when he posted a video of him with a playboy model. I think that was just clever marketing.

Is this a good example of a s**** product marketed amazingly? Or am I missing something?

If so I think a lot could be learned from his marketing campaign.

Obviously he's a guy that ruffles some people's feathers. I mean look at the vitriol that came forward just in this post.

I don't know anything about the quality of his product. Maybe it's good and maybe it's shit. I hope he treats his customers well but that's my personal bias. Ultimately that's between him and his customers.

But from a marketers perspective...the guy definitely knows what he's doing.

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
I applaud the guy because he at least he has a good message.

Read a book a day

The people who bash him are the same ones who will turn to the average person and ridicule them for watching reality TV. I've never bought his product and don't plan on it...but at least he's pushing something we can all agree on: Knowledge is power.

What do the rest of these self help type people have? Feel good about yourself. Money doesn't buy happiness. blah blah blah...

IDK about you but I'd rather have 1 more shill selling books than a sob story selling self acceptance.

Now to actually add something of value to the thread:
1. He pushes social proof like it's no one's business
2. IDK if he actually gives away those cars, but that's one easy way to get more followers
3. Leverage those followers to spread across your other profiles
4. Claim you have 5x the followers, when it's the same people across 5 social networks

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.