The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

TÜV SÜD vs SGS

Anything related to sourcing or importing products.

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
To those who have used TÜV SÜD and/or SGS, what are your thoughts on these companies?

I have used SGS in the past to get simple testing done. I like their verification system, but that is essentially the extent of my knowledge. I have yet to use TÜV SÜD and its services.

I will say, I have been trying to get in contact with SGS only for them to state they would not reply to my email because it is not a “company email address.” Seemed like poor customer service, especially since I also left 4 or 5 voicemails over the period of two weeks with no response, and all their other phone lines in the US in their directory are down.

Just wanted to see what other people's experiences were and if anyone had a specific preference.

I’ll most likely be using one of them for SDS(MSDS) Authoring and certification of certain products before bringing samples over to the USA.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Thanks for the heads up. I have seen SGS becoming almost paranoid about security, probably due to having been hacked.

I think you would do better contacting TUV Rheinland rather than TUV SUD. You can find them at the head office site: TÜV Rheinland - Home

TÜV Rheinland (China) Co., Ltd. Xiamen office​

Walter

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Thanks for the heads up. I have seen SGS becoming almost paranoid about security, probably due to having been hacked.
That is too bad. Nearly impossible to get ahold of unless you somehow get through to their email response, to which they seem quite slow to respond.
I think you would do better contacting TUV Rheinland rather than TUV SUD. You can find them at the head office site: TÜV Rheinland - Home

TÜV Rheinland (China) Co., Ltd. Xiamen office​

Walter
I didn't realize these were different companies all owned in part by TUV. Is there a major difference between the two companies that would make TUV Rheinland better? It seems both of these companies are located in the city of Chennai, India, and near to where I live in the USA so the convenience should be equal.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
That is too bad. Nearly impossible to get ahold of unless you somehow get through to their email response, to which they seem quite slow to respond.

I didn't realize these were different companies all owned in part by TUV. Is there a major difference between the two companies that would make TUV Rheinland better? It seems both of these companies are located in the city of Chennai, India, and near to where I live in the USA so the convenience should be equal.
TUV operate more or less independently in various locations, depending on what kind of Certification is necessary. You can find out what the branch's specialty is by visiting each branch.

TUV Rheinland are more involved in technical certification, particularly electrical.

TUV SUD is mostly involved in inspection services during manufacture or prior to shipping. This is why you see them named on Alibaba and other platforms more often than TUV Rheinland is.

Walter

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
I'll give them both a call tomorrow, but it sounds like TUV Rheinland would most likely be the best option. Thank you @Walter Hay for your wealth of knowledge, you have helped me tremendously so far in my business venture.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
TÜV is technical supervision club.
Its German, founded 70 years ago. TÜV first only checked cars. As cars supervision in Germany is state thing, there were several TÜVs. First South and North. They developed into another several TÜVs.
So TÜV south became TÜV Rheinland and TÜV Autotomotive service.
So These TÜVs are different companies, though they have the same name „TÜV“ in their names .
And they spread their sub companies all over the world, which work together with the German Businesses.

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Yes. I ended up digging deeper into each of the TUV companies. They seem to focus on different industries(electronics, Agriculture,Internet Security, etc.)

I spoke to both TÜV Rheinland and TÜV SÜD today. I'm not sure who would be better as one of my products is electronic(TÜV Rheinland). My other two products are chemical and plastic, so they may work for either company but it depends on their capabilities at their labs in my suppliers region, so I'll get in contact with them to determine that.

Doesn't hurt to speak with both companies and see what is a better fit. Just going to provide curret certifications and see what holes need to be filled to meet all requirements.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.