The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Suggestions Thread

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I hope you manage to sell millions of books when you launch, not only will it be a just reward for the friendly community you've built and the time you spend here helping members from all backgrounds but it will bring even more people to the community.

Of course it will also mean and influx of newbie questions, reposts, bad advice and spam, to combat the influx of crap perhaps building on the concept of the speedway and having two versions of the forums would be a good measure to ensure the forum remains a valuable resource for the valued members:

1) A forum with all of the current segments which all members can view and post in.
2) A forum with all of the current segments which all members can view and only members over a certain rep point can post in.

This way the advanced real estate, ebiz and B&M guys and girls can surf to the advanced forum and avoid having to sift through pages of basic questions and crappy advice to find good advice like it is at RDPD.

The newer members can still benefit from the advice given out in the advanced forum but will be unable to clutter it with basic questions, reposts and spam and the advanced members will have the option of visiting the 'newbie forum' to give advice when they see a well though question or genuinely well meaning newbie question posted.

Maybe a stance towards reposts like at Lambopower will also be needed where they are immediately locked and the OP is told to do a search.

Just some thoughts.

Thanks for writing your thoughts ... once the book is available, the forum will be reorganized to accommodate the points covered in the book. I like your idea for an advanced section/getting started ... it will depend on traffic how segregation will pan out.

Hey MJ,

More and more I'm accessing the forum from my iPhone, so a mobile versio would sure be nice.

There must be a VB plugin that does it.

Also, Twitter buttons would be nice - and bring in a lot more traffic.

Thx

Agreed however I haven't found a Twit mod that works well ...

When I click on a thread that I have never been to, the page will automatically scroll me to the bottom (last post).. even though I never read the initial thread.

Can that be stopped? I will also start scrolling to the top and then it does it again after it is fully loaded... it takes a few seconds to load.

I like that it does it when it's a thread I have been following.

Just a suggestion.

I cannot be stopped, only reversed. However, if you see a thread listed in the TOP TEN that you have never read, click on the BLUE ARROW (at the right, next to the username) and it will take you to the FIRST POST. Clicking the thread link, takes you to the first.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
I would like to suggest a progress thread as a sub forum of the Fastlane Goals and Plan forum.

The purpose of the sub forum will be to contain the progress thread for each member who wishes to start one. We have several members out there with various threads on the progress they are making on one goal or another. The threads are all over the entire forum. If we had one sub forum for these, it would be very useful for members to be followed by others.

This sub forum will be very direct with a set of rules in it.
-Only one thread started per user.
-The threads must be geared towards progress with their plans. An open journal of progress of sorts. ATW has an terrific thread for action takers, but the thread has so much info in it, its like trying to dig through a salad to find the croûton.
-I think this would be a great solution and continue the tradition of the fastlane community to emphasize on doers and action takers.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I would like to suggest a progress thread as a sub forum of the Fastlane Goals and Plan forum.

The purpose of the sub forum will be to contain the progress thread for each member who wishes to start one. We have several members out there with various threads on the progress they are making on one goal or another. The threads are all over the entire forum. If we had one sub forum for these, it would be very useful for members to be followed by others.

This sub forum will be very direct with a set of rules in it.
-Only one thread started per user.
-The threads must be geared towards progress with their plans. An open journal of progress of sorts. ATW has an terrific thread for action takers, but the thread has so much info in it, its like trying to dig through a salad to find the croûton.
-I think this would be a great solution and continue the tradition of the fastlane community to emphasize on doers and action takers.

Great idea, I will do it this week.

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007

I also REALLY like this idea. I would be willing to participate if it comes available. Excellent suggestion Bilge!

Scout

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Apr 24, 2009
NJ
MJ, I noticed that the search tab is unable to search for abbrevations like LLC or NDA.

Not sure if that can be updated.

Knightsman

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Sep 14, 2009
South Carolina
Let me know PhxMJ if you need help with the site, some tell me im a computer nerd.. so I might be able to help with stuff.

Knightsman

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Sep 14, 2009
South Carolina
I noticed that if you log out, you cant log in from a thread or from the main screen. Can that be implemented?

code junkie

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Dec 10, 2010
Hiya. I just joined and the form asked me for my area of expertise or concentration. One of the choices was "housewife." It seemed really bizarre that one of the areas was gender-specific. Why not change to "homemaker"?

JP66

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Nov 22, 2010
I'm not sure if this has been asked yet, but would it be possible to change the "latest thread" window at the top of the form to show more than the last 15 threads, maybe 25-30?

D

DeletedUser394

We should get rid of the "Blog this Post" button.

a) Because I don't see why anyone would want to do that

and

b) Every few days, at least one person presses it by accident, creating a blog post that makes no sense and that has no purpose. (and they don't even know it, because it was an accident)

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Hope I'm not repeating someone else's thoughts but I really think your Books sales page could use Video salesletter from your own house with you telling a story of yourself and biz, that would be a great proof and would give much better connection to potential buyers and first time visitors. Much more emotional bond can be created with video. Look at Gary Vaynerchuk's small vids also. People want to see real you and the they will buy the book as a souvenir (true in Godin's case, Gary's case, 37Signals etc).

I can't PM you with more ideas so if you are interested MJ, lemme know I can throw some ideas for ya about a video or series of them.. ;)

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
On a much grander scale, I think that those who have read your book and have been inspired to action and have successfully become a millionaire through fastlane principles, and who decides to write a book just like you did, that you publish their work through Viperion Publishing and list those books on your publishing site and here at the forum.

This can be the beginning of a growing new publishing company. Of course you would receive all the sales monies and pay the author royalties.

You may want to make sure there is a good editor and of course an approval process to filter out any really terrible books. But the key is not to be exactly perfect in writing. Your edge is books written simply on fastlane principles and life stories based on success, that were inspired by your own book.

:smxF:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Hope I'm not repeating someone else's thoughts but I really think your Books sales page could use Video salesletter from your own house with you telling a story of yourself and biz, that would be a great proof and would give much better connection to potential buyers and first time visitors. Much more emotional bond can be created with video. Look at Gary Vaynerchuk's small vids also. People want to see real you and the they will buy the book as a souvenir (true in Godin's case, Gary's case, 37Signals etc).

I can't PM you with more ideas so if you are interested MJ, lemme know I can throw some ideas for ya about a video or series of them.. ;)

Couldn't agree more, in fact, I've done videos for this purpose already and just haven't gotten around to updating the website.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Hiya. I just joined and the form asked me for my area of expertise or concentration. One of the choices was "housewife." It seemed really bizarre that one of the areas was gender-specific. Why not change to "homemaker"?

Done.

I'm not sure if this has been asked yet, but would it be possible to change the "latest thread" window at the top of the form to show more than the last 15 threads, maybe 25-30?

Added more ... from 15 to 20.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Couldn't agree more, in fact, I've done videos for this purpose already and just haven't gotten around to updating the website.

Yeah, I'm sure they would improve your conversion. Look forward to seeing them. Gary V started promoting his second book already like that..

Also, guest posting on financial blogs would be awesome option... Or getting affiliate system and letting others do it for percentage.

Larry

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 6, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Just me maybe , but seems to be a lot of google ads. On other forums I have been on , the ads dissapear once you login

I guess this is to keep forum free

Larry

Nicola

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jan 10, 2011
London, England
Larry, Use firefox and the ad block plugin and you will never see them!

Also - the ads are probably to help pay for the forum - as it gets bigger it is likley to cost a significant amount and philanthropy can only go so far!

I don't mind most monetization methods that don't adversely impact my user experience (see I can do complex google speak too!)

That essentially means that when I am charged to access part of the forum I do mind - but being charged to do things like place adverts I don't.

unicon

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Feb 23, 2008
I am really pissed, this has happened multiple times.

When typing a thread or a long response that takes quite some time for a masterful contribution---

I hit the post and I am somehow not logged in and the post naturally re-directs me to a login which if done erases all this million dollar work just typed!

I hadn't logged in - in some time and I used to actually copy (print off) significant writings before they could be erased and then just type them again - this time I forgot

I may be a computer illiterate but this is an ongoing issue - the abuse of time being the greatest sin!!!

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I hit the post and I am somehow not logged in and the post naturally re-directs me to a login which if done erases all this million dollar work just typed!

When you click LOGIN make sure to check the REMEMBER ME box. This keeps you logged in; otherwise your session will time out.

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
Also try logging out, clean out your cookies and temp files, close the browser, open the browser, log back in and click remember me box as MJ suggested. That usually fixes that problem.

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
Used to happen to me all the time too. I now make sure to ctrl+copy long posts before hitting the button. :)

Graves

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jan 31, 2011
No suggestions from me, just dropping in to say the recent landing page revamp is beautifully done :) Didn't know where to post it.

unicon

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Feb 23, 2008
Got the remember me box.

Now I cannot get attachments on to the thread, get to browse which sets up the attachment from advanced but it redirects me back to windows saying one is not authorized or other.

Attempting to upload one photo and even edited it so it wasn't to big. Have done attachments before with no problem before the changes.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Attempting to upload one photo and even edited it so it wasn't to big. Have done attachments before with no problem before the changes.

Think I finally fixed this problem.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Just realized a definite need here. Some sort of glossary/wiki/etc for coined terms from the book. You mentioned tekel syndrome in a thread, I couldn't remember what it was. Goggled it and came back to a thread here and could not find the explanation. Figured it was only in the book. Same as new folks wondering what fastlane/slowlane/sidewalker means.

I am sure it would help getting these words to stick as well and something that will rank in the serps when people inevitably search for them after hearing them.

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
Would it be possible to adjust the Search feature so it allows for exact match of words entered in quotes?

For example, if I type in "fastlane forum" (with the quotes) in the search bar, I get a message that says No Matches Found, or something like that.

And if I would type fastane forum without the quotes, it's going to pull up EVERY thread that has the word fastlane and forum in it, but not necessarily the two words together.

To me, the search feature is one of the most valuable assets on the forum, as most questions have already been answered in old threads. Adding exact match of phrases / words to the search feature to help us find the answers to our questions would be a huge addition.

Thanks!

mrhahn

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Apr 21, 2011
San Diego
If it's possible, a widget for the Groups area on the front page would be great. That area is not very well exposed and something that shows the most recent activity would help that. I feel like vbulletin should have something prepared, but I could be wrong.

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
Just wanted to say "Thanks" to MJ for changing up the way the ads appear between the 1st and 2nd posts and below the last post, rather than within the first and last post. Looks great!

C

Carson Yim

First off, I'd like to say thank you MJ for all the priceless information you are sharing. I'd like to make a suggestion regarding your Youtube videos, I enjoy watching them but some times I just wish I can see you better instead of the overexposed background and hear you clearer without the water fountain behind you. Perhaps a few reflectors will do the trick? If you are not too keen on having all the fancy lighting.

I believe it will go a long way to make more people press play, just my thoughts. Hope I'm not repeating this suggestion.

hybiscus

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 24, 2011
USA
I'm very new here but I think Live Chat would be great, but it could be scheduled possibly once a month so that people would still post on the forum often.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.