The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Suggestions Thread

NoMoneyDown

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Aug 28, 2007
Round Rock, TX
As the site expands, you may want to consider adding certain people as moderators to take the day-to-day admin stuff off your shoulders more. Of course, it would no doubt be people who have the time, are dedicated/willing, and are trustworthy. Again, probably not a big deal right now, but I'm sure it might be 4-6 months down the road.

Not sure if my advice was taken or you had thought of this before, MJ, but I think it was a definite step in the right direction to let others help moderate the forums.

:eusa_clap:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
andviv said:
MJ, I was wondering if there is a way to create a "slow lane mentality" flag for posts.

Great idea.

What if we just had a "SLOW LANE" smiley icon shaped like an "under construction" yellow diamond road sign? That way, we just quote the slow lane post, and flag it with the smiley.

Would be easy to do, no?

-Russ H.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
I like that idea Russ, that way people's thoughts are flagged in a constructive way and not in a "hey loser" way- which will totally start fights and put people on the defensive.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
I know we already have a "Deal Analysis" subforum in a few forums, but I think it'd be great for some of the more experienced members to have a section to go through some of their deals more in-depth. I guess this makes the most sense for real estate, given that they can go in-depth on specific deals. However, I think we could figure out ways to make it work with those who've owned businesses as well. For instance, they could state a specific problem they encountered and how they made it through it. I'm a firm believer in learning from the mistakes of others, and I think this is a great way to do so.

Any other suggestions that build on this would be more than welcomed. I'm open to any input others may have.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
I know we already have a "Deal Analysis" subforum in a few forums, but I think it'd be great for some of the more experienced members to have a section to go through some of their deals more in-depth. I guess this makes the most sense for real estate, given that they can go in-depth on specific deals. However, I think we could figure out ways to make it work with those who've owned businesses as well. For instance, they could state a specific problem they encountered and how they made it through it. I'm a firm believer in learning from the mistakes of others, and I think this is a great way to do so.

Maybe we could have a post that is labeled "Case Study" and the topic could be whatever the posted wanted- SFR, Commercial, business, etc. This way we could look closely at deals already done as well as benefit from hindsight!

Yankees- ++rep for such a great idea. Your posts never cease to amaze me.

phlgirl

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 29, 2007
Philadelphia

I agree - this is a great idea. In many books, including the one I am reading now, it is the examples - numbers and all - which stay with me. If I can apply something to a real life scenario, as opposed to just theory alone, I find I have a much better chance of retaining the lesson.

I would be willing to post an example of one of our deals and would very much enjoy reading about the experiences of others.

Thanks, Yankees!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Perhaps a "Case/Study" or "Closed Deals" subforum? Anyone else want to chime in? This can be successful ONLY if our users want to disclose the nuts-and-bolts of their successful deals. BTW, nice suggestion.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Great idea for "done deals." :)

There are *tons* of examples in books that could also be shared (some of my faves are from George Ross, Trump's property atty). Good stuff.

I'd be willing to post a few of ours as well.

-Russ H.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I'd like to see an "ignore" feature

Under your user control panel ("Edit Profile"), look under "Miscellaneous" -- click "Buddy/Ignore Lists" - you can add users there.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
MJ:

Now that the bugs seem to be worked out, can you add back your plugs-ins for recent posts, most popular posts, etc.?

I think they were a great way to find things on here.

Bob,

I had reason to believe that that add-on was causing the errors here ... so I disabled it and forgot to turn it back on.

MJ

T

TheGreatBear

Can't we create a "Newbie" section in some forums? I'm not knocking anyone but I'm tired of going to the stocks section and seeing questions about which brokerage to use... It'd be more productive if the newbies asked in one section and in another section we get to bounce off ideas.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Can't we create a "Newbie" section in some forums? I'm not knocking anyone but I'm tired of going to the stocks section and seeing questions about which brokerage to use... It'd be more productive if the newbies asked in one section and in another section we get to bounce off ideas.

For frequently asked questions like "Which brokerage do I use?" - I will start stickying them. The problem therein is the topic needs to be thoroughly addressed - in both cases, not many responded.

I also would like to create a legendary thread section which should address many rehashed topics - problem there, no one has nominated any threads.

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
I like the new mood icons. Good variety.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
MJ, Just curious, does the hosting company provides backup to this website? In case of something happening, is the forum's information recoverable? (yup, I'm concerned by the possibility of losing all the information and wisdom in here).

Jorge

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 5, 2007
Mendoza, Argentina
I don't know if this has been proposed before, but right now I don't have time to read the entire thread.

I think it would be cool to find an sticky in each forum with a sort of dictionary like:

REI: Real Estate Investment

Sometimes I don't understand what someone is saying but don't want to hijack the thread by asking for the explanation.

Hope this makes some sense (don't have much time for spelling!)

Cheers ;)

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
I don't know if this has been proposed before, but right now I don't have time to read the entire thread.

I think it would be cool to find an sticky in each forum with a sort of dictionary like:

Sometimes I don't understand what someone is saying but don't want to hijack the thread by asking for the explanation.

Cheers ;)

Here is a link to the thread started for abbreviations.
http://www.thefastlanetomillions.com/showthread.php?t=348

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
MJ, Just curious, does the hosting company provides backup to this website? In case of something happening, is the forum's information recoverable? (yup, I'm concerned by the possibility of losing all the information and wisdom in here).

Yes they do ... I also back up the DB once per week.

Cheers ;)

Jorge, many have requested a WIKI. The WIKI function will be apart of my main website which still hasn't been launched. I plan on having a core website (WIKI, Surveys, My book, Blog, etc) which isn't finished. This forum is a supplement to that core website. The challenge therein is the bridge to this forum to the core website - I don't want users to do a double login.

I started this forum prematurely based on the need so I've kinda been put in a position of doing things backwards... like buying tires for a car that hasn't been built.

MJ

Jorge

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 5, 2007
Mendoza, Argentina
Jorge, many have requested a WIKI. The WIKI function will be apart of my main website which still hasn't been launched. I plan on having a core website (WIKI, Surveys, My book, Blog, etc) which isn't finished. This forum is a supplement to that core website. The challenge therein is the bridge to this forum to the core website - I don't want users to do a double login.

I started this forum prematurely based on the need so I've kinda been put in a position of doing things backwards... like buying tires for a car that hasn't been built.
MJ

Wow, I can't wait to see the main website then! If you want to, PM me, maybe I can help you with the integration.

Jorge

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 5, 2007
Mendoza, Argentina
Another idea: It would be cool if a "locked" forum existed where only members with X rep speed or mod/admin verified would get a password to get in.

The purpose? Well, I think that some privacy-concerned posters (like me) could get specific feedback without spreading the details of their idea "in the wild"...

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I'm sorry Jorge, yes I like it. We can call it the Speedway whereas only folks with "X" Speed can view it. There are a few topics that I'd like to post but don't want them public to every Internet user. So yes, its a very good idea and you can expect it to be implemented in the coming week(s).

I'm evaluating several additions right now:

1) Private forum for users with X Speed or greater
2) Legendary / Newbie threads
3) Project Progress

MJ

Jorge

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 5, 2007
Mendoza, Argentina
Cool!! :hurray:
It's your fault that I've become a board-addict! You should have said No! :smx4:

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
I'm sorry Jorge, yes I like it. We can call it the Speedway whereas only folks with "X" Speed can view it. There are a few topics that I'd like to post but don't want them public to every Internet user. So yes, its a very good idea and you can expect it to be implemented in the coming week(s).

I'm evaluating several additions right now:

1) Private forum for users with X Speed or greater
2) Legendary / Newbie threads
3) Project Progress

MJ
I like all 3, particularly the progress one.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
We have The Speedway - Private Forum and I think it is very useful.

The threads in that forum do not appear in the Latest Post section on the home page.

I'd like to request that the posts from this forum also appear in there so I don't miss them. I know that many will try to access this given that notoriety, but I think this is even better as that way, those that do not have the right speed, get motivated to work for rep so they can access it now.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
We have The Speedway - Private Forum and I think it is very useful.

The threads in that forum do not appear in the Latest Post section on the home page.

I'd like to request that the posts from this forum also appear in there so I don't miss them. I know that many will try to access this given that notoriety, but I think this is even better as that way, those that do not have the right speed, get motivated to work for rep so they can access it now.

Hmmm ... I think 1) I originally excluded them due to privacy or 2) The software doesn't do this. You make an excellent point. Also, I seem to miss new posts in that forum due to not seeing it up top. Ill look into when I get home this evening.

bigmako

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Jan 25, 2008
California
If this sounds like a stupid question, I then must apologize.

I read and re-read all the posts here and am unsure if this particular post was ever mentioned.

What if there was a certain section that was nothing more than "success training" only taught by those who have achieved "elite" status? (Only if the "elite" have the time, of course)

The "select few" who enter this "training" must meet critical, stringent requirements such as, rep speed, possibly reccomendations from other "elite" members, etc...
and MJ must have the final approval or to take the pressure off of him, have MJ and other top "elitists" (cabinet members) take it to a vote.

Explaining the full requirements to its members should not offend anybody, but make those who want to get this "success training" work harder to reach those goals!

Is this even possible?

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
bigmako, I think it is very possible. However......

Isn't the forum already providing this for everybody?
The information is there already.
What prevents people to do what the successful ones have done?

What else is needed?

I think you are asking for "free one-on-one mentorship"

Like others have said here, "Mentor help needs to be earned. It is not an entitlement." (trust me, I know, I had to work hard to get to a level where a mentor wanted to even talk to me, and then, when it was time, actually deliver, and pull the trigger, and do as they say).

PS: And no, it is NOT a stupid question. I think you may want to ask yourself another question... what is missing for you? what information do you need? I am confident that, if you post your questions (i.e. ask the right questions) here, somebody will answer. The problem is, many newbies don't like the answers they get. Are you one of those? Does the world have to change to make you happy? or is it you who have to change?

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.