The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Stuck on box and instructions design

sotomo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 25, 2017
U.S.
Amazingly I have a product that I think is ready to go. I have the tools and machines to actually manufacture it myself. I even found a box that it fits into nicely. I never thought this would be such a hassle, but I just can't seem to design the artwork for the box and instructions for my product that look decent.

I'm cheap and would prefer not to pay a designer big bucks... but I might have no choice, since everything I come up with looks like it was drawn by a drunk sailor. My instructions need to be 3D and I tried using 3D programs but it still looks amaturish. I never took any graphic design classes in college, and now I wish I had.

Has anyone else faced this problem with designing instructions and package design, have any recommendations for outsourcing, or design secrets that might shortcut this process?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
Do you know what a pro designer would actually charge, or are you taking a guess?

NZA

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jun 20, 2017
MA
an idea: look up "instructions" / "packaging" / "(your product type)" on behance or similar.
make a selection of say 5-10 pictures that serve as examples of what you like.
it might help with making a decision. they usually show their making process. if you decide to hire a designer it'll make communication easier. or you get familiar with the technical terms of what you want to get.
it's always how i start any graphics related work or even to brainstorm ideas about software.

sotomo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 25, 2017
U.S.
an idea: look up "instructions" / "packaging" / "(your product type)" on behance or similar.
make a selection of say 5-10 pictures that serve as examples of what you like.
it might help with making a decision. they usually show their making process.

Right, ok. That makes sense. Now onto execution... I've been distracted by things like getting another job and really need to get momentum going again. If I get really stuck I'll let you you. Thanks.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
Nope, just guessing. I just used the word "big bucks" but that might not have been the best choice of words.

I recommend you find out first. Look for meetups of graphic designers, and colleges with a commercial art program. Stop by and ask for a rough idea of what kind of budget you'd need to hire a designer. It might be so little that paying a pro would be easier than finding ways to cut the costs here. For example, instead of making a complete 3D model of your product, maybe someone could take some photos and illustrate on top of that in a way that looks 3D, but only costs like 2D. Talk to some people involved with this stuff on a daily basis.

sotomo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 25, 2017
U.S.
Look for meetups of graphic designers, and colleges with a commercial art program.

Ok. Sound good. My new job is at a college so maybe I can get to know some people in that department. My product does have a graphic element to it so it might help to get someone else onboard.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
Ok. Sound good. My new job is at a college so maybe I can get to know some people in that department. My product does have a graphic element to it so it might help to get someone else onboard.

Oh good, you're perfectly placed for this. (Assuming the building in your profile pic is not the school's entire Art Department.)

After you find out typical commercial rates, then you could consider paying half that to the winners of some kind of design contents you have for art students. But again, you might not need to take any special money-saving efforts like that.

After you've done this a few times, you could teach a class in The Business of Packaging Design For Clients And Artists, get a mix of business and art students in the room!

Readerly

Yes and
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Sep 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Have you tried looking for a 3D designer or packaging designer on Fiverr or Upwork? There's also 99designs. If you're willing to take the time to vet someone from overseas, you should be able to find a qualified designer who can accomplish what you want for a decent price.

sotomo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 25, 2017
U.S.
Have you tried looking for a 3D designer or packaging designer on Fiverr or Upwork? There's also 99designs. If you're willing to take the time to vet someone from overseas, you should be able to find a qualified designer who can accomplish what you want for a decent price.

I've used Fiverr before and would consider it again. So far I like NZA's advise the best because it's free. Of course Fiverr is close to free. I'm having trouble deciding what do do. Looks like I have at least 3 possible routes to take from all the good advise.

sotomo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 25, 2017
U.S.
(Assuming the building in your profile pic is not the school's entire Art Department.)

Yeah my profile pic is sorta unusual, but I took it myself. I'd love to live a simple life in a little cabin if it were possible. Unfortunately it's not right now and money is always needed all the time.

CountMonteCristo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Oct 10, 2015
Hungary
Amazingly I have a product that I think is ready to go. I have the tools and machines to actually manufacture it myself. I even found a box that it fits into nicely. I never thought this would be such a hassle, but I just can't seem to design the artwork for the box and instructions for my product that look decent.

I'm cheap and would prefer not to pay a designer big bucks... but I might have no choice, since everything I come up with looks like it was drawn by a drunk sailor. My instructions need to be 3D and I tried using 3D programs but it still looks amaturish. I never took any graphic design classes in college, and now I wish I had.

Has anyone else faced this problem with designing instructions and package design, have any recommendations for outsourcing, or design secrets that might shortcut this process?
Hey sotomo,

If you want, I can take a look and give you some tips. I'm a conceptual designer and graphic artist. I've done everything from package design to pre-production 3D visuals that look like photographs.

Feel free to send me a PM.

-The Count

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
I'm a conceptual designer and graphic artist. I've done everything from package design to pre-production 3D visuals that look like photographs.

Cool! I haven't come across you on the forum, I'll check out your other posts and find out if your creativity has led to some business successes!

CountMonteCristo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Oct 10, 2015
Hungary
Cool! I haven't come across you on the forum, I'll check out your other posts and find out if your creativity has led to some business successes!
Big time lurker :)

I'm definitely not the one to ask for business advice, but I know a lot about design and visuals, so it's time I come out of the shadows to share the little I can.

Fastlane Liam

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Feb 10, 2018
United Kingdom
I did this 1 month ago
I used fiverr, cost me $50 and they did a good job
I had to provide the copy (which was fine for me since I know it a little)
The photo I gave was actually of the CAD Model with some colour added to look real
I can give you the link to who I used or simply just search on fiverr, you can find plenty on there

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.