The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Struggling with Sleep? Sleep tips.

adnanazmi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 22, 2023
Colombo, Sri Lana
Sleep is one of the most important investment in my opinion. It can single-handedly improve your productivity and mood by 10 fold.

Here are some key points I found and applied researching multiple books and videos by YouTubers such as Hamza, Ali Abdaal, Alex Hormozi, etc

- Get enough sunlight: at least 3 min of direct sunlight or 15 min of indirect sunlight before 8am. I aim for 30 min after sunrise. Non-negotiable.
(As a bonus you can try getting a few minutes of sunlight 30 min before sunset as well but is not as important as morning Sun Light)
Don't look directly at the sun!
This practice resets your circadian rhythm.
- Lower your heart rate before sleeping. You can try sleep meditation. I like using the free app Medito occasionally when I have too much on my mind.
- Have an ultra-comfortable mattress and a bunch pillows to sleep. Try to sleep in pitch black darkness if possible (cut out all light you can). Try to sleep in a quite environment. To block out sound, you can try putting one ear against the pillow and one arm on top of the other ear.
Use white noise sounds if the environment is noisy to drown the noise. Sleep in a cool environment. (These are great first investments in yourself when you start making money).
- Ensure you are breathing well every night. Breath threw your nose. Breathing through your mouth is unhealthy and is related to many health problems. You can use a piece of micro pore tape to shut your month during sleep (a small piece just a small pressure will keep your month shut)
- Cut caffeine from your diet (atleast do not drink any caffeine after 0230pm)
- avoid drinking water one hour before sleeping (don't sleep thirsty though make sure to limit to a few sips), no screens two hours before sleeping, and try to eat dinner before three hours to sleeping.
- Taking a poop before sleeping can help.
- Avoid having any work-related items in your bedroom i.e. PC, phone, papers, etc.
- Resistance training in the morning to tire your body once night time arrives and kegel exercises to strengthen your bladder can help you get a better night's sleep.
- Aim for at least 8 hours of sleep every night, and try to get into bed an hour before your desired sleep time. Example: if you want to sleep at 10pm daily get into bed between 0900pm-0930pm.
Don't listen to people saying to sacrifice your sleep.
Sleeping latest by 11pm non-negotiable.
- Meditate daily with the free app Medito for maximum relaxation. Will help shutdown your impulses, unnecessary thoughts and give you more control of your mind.

These are tips I found helpful. What do you guys think about them? Do y'all have any tips of your own? Do you disagree with any of my tips? If so, why?

Note: 20% of these tips make 80% of the difference.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
Sleep faster.

Just kidding. Good list and I second CBD oils. Not sure about the dosage, lower is good too.

adnanazmi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 22, 2023
Colombo, Sri Lana
Sleep is one of the most important investment in my opinion. It can single-handedly improve your productivity and mood by 10 fold.

Here are some key points I found and applied researching multiple books and videos by YouTubers such as Hamza, Ali Abdaal, Alex Hormozi, etc

- Get enough sunlight: at least 3 min of direct sunlight or 15 min of indirect sunlight before 8am. I aim for 30 min after sunrise. Non-negotiable.
(As a bonus you can try getting a few minutes of sunlight 30 min before sunset as well but is not as important as morning Sun Light)
- Lower your heart rate before sleeping. You can try sleep meditation. I like using the free app Medito occasionally when I have too much on my mind.
- Have an ultra-comfortable mattress and a bunch pillows to sleep. Try to sleep in pitch black darkness if possible (cut out all light you can). Try to sleep in a quite environment. To block out sound, you can try putting one ear against the pillow and one arm on top of the other ear.
Use white noise sounds if the environment is noisy to drown the noise. Sleep in a cool environment. (These are great first investments in yourself when you start making money).
- Ensure you are breathing well every night. Breath threw your nose. Breathing through your mouth is unhealthy and is related to many health problems. You can use a piece of micro pore tape to shut your month during sleep (a small piece just a small pressure will keep your month shut)
- avoid drinking water one hour before sleeping (don't sleep thirsty though make sure to limit to a few sips), no screens two hours before sleeping, and try to eat dinner before three hours to sleeping.
- Avoid having any work-related items in your bedroom i.e. PC, phone, papers, etc.
- Resistance training in the morning to tire your body once night time arrives and kegel exercises to strengthen your bladder can help you get a better night's sleep.
- Aim for at least 8 hours of sleep every night, and try to get into bed an hour before your desired sleep time. Example: if you want to sleep at 10pm daily get into bed between 0900pm-0930pm.
- Meditate daily with the free app Medito for maximum relaxation. Will help shutdown your impulses, unnecessary thoughts and give you more control of your mind.

These are tips I found helpful. What do you guys think about them? Do y'all have any tips of your own? Do you disagree with any of my tips? If so, why?

Oh and forgot to add that some of these tips are recommended by Andrew Huberman too.

• Another tip, is buy a bunch of different types of pillows: different shapes, different textures, different fillings. And find the one that is suitable for you and donate the rest. What is a few $100 if you could improve your sleep significantly...

• Don't sleep on your stomach. It is terrible for your spine. Could be the main reason you have lower back pain.

• Side sleepers > back sleepers > everything else. Research how to support each part of your body properly depending on what type of sleeper you are.

• If you have a partner and they disturb your sleep. Consider getting a bigger bed or two different beds. This is tricky so approach with care. I am not sure what this does to the relationship so again approach with care. It may improve your relationship maybe. Hahaha.

• Weighted blankets? Or that blanket that wraps around you like a how a womb does to a baby? Seems interesting but cannot comment on it cause I never tried. If you have tried, let us know....

adnanazmi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 22, 2023
Colombo, Sri Lana
Melatonin - good or bad?
My personal opinion is to take that as an absolute last resort. Because you will become dependent on that... better to try your best to improve by natural permanent ways suggested above first...

If you are already on it, still try implementing the above tips and maybe trying reducing the intake until you can completely get off it.

I don't think pharmaceutical companies actually think of you when they make these products. They think of the profits first. And having you hooked for life will make them money so their might be something addictive in that. Maybe.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
100%

Not sure where this idea originated from. Quality sleep is the foundation for a healthy brain.

Better brain -> Better business -> Better money

My ideal sleep protocol is very simple:

Actual sleep:
  • pitch-black, cold, quiet bedroom

During the day:
  • as much light in the morning as possible
  • low or no caffeine
  • train hard, eat well
  • have an awesome life - you should be able to:
    • go to bed exhausted
    • wake up excited

The amount of sleep varies based on genetics and other factors. Anywhere from 4-10 hours may be optimal. Most people will need about 8 hours.

It's not about how many hours you stay in bed, but how restorative is the sleep.

This may be funny, but it's actually possible to achieve by improving sleep quality:
Sleep faster.

Matt Lee

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Aug 9, 2022
What seems to work for me so far is to a) train ... and b) work like a dog during the day and crash when I can't lift my eyes...

Those two things alone produce some of the best sleep quality I've experienced so far. Like it's the type of sleep you can't shake me from even if there is a magnitude 9 Earthquake outside. Some of the days when I can't sleep are usually the days when I have not gotten anything done that moves the needle or done anything physical. Those are terrible days because I'd wake up all groggy and pissed.

Someone said you have to earn your right to sleep well, I don't remember who, but I believe it.

Depending on your magnesium level though, 1 serving(250-500 mg) can help relax you 30-1hr before bed. Just don't get the magnesium that's a stool softener or you might end up with a wee trip to the bathroom at 2 AM. (Beware: With Mg, your dreams will become bloody vivid so warn your spouse or partner of potential screams, punches, kicks, etc...)

Not eating 3-5 hours before bed helps too. I usually wake up in the middle of the night if I have a heavy dinner right before bed.

Matt Lee

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Aug 9, 2022
Melatonin - good or bad?
One of the scariest things I never wanted when I took melatonin was 1)dependency and 2) tolerance.

So cycling did the job... I cycled for about a month with melatonin in late 2021. Can't say for anyone else, but that month got my shit together.

For the first 2 weeks, I'd take 10 g each day. In the 3rd week, I'll take 10g every other day. In the 4th week, I'll take only days when I'm still awake when it's 1 hour before the time to crash. By the 5th week, I just got off entirely. I didn't need it to sleep like a baby. I also made sure to write out how I felt during that experiment to monitor the effects.

Note: looking back, it's not just melatonin that did the job for me. I had to fix other areas of my life too. Had to go back to the gym. Had to start working on my brand. Had to get blood work and see what my deficiencies are and supplement the lack. So I think melatonin is only one of the variables, not the whole.

It's like with most drugs/medicine, if you don't fix the root of the problems, then they won't be of much help. Temporary relief... but then the drugs/meds become another problem when dependency and tolerance roll around.

andyhaus44

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
May 17, 2017
St. Charles, MO
Quitting caffeine and going to bed around the same time every night has helped me

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
If you do all these tips, why would you have to get in bed an hour before your sleep time? Doesn’t make any sense.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
100%

Not sure where this idea originated from. Quality sleep is the foundation for a healthy brain.

Better brain -> Better business -> Better money

My ideal sleep protocol is very simple:

Actual sleep:
  • pitch-black, cold, quiet bedroom

During the day:
  • as much light in the morning as possible
  • low or no caffeine
  • train hard, eat well
  • have an awesome life - you should be able to:
    • go to bed exhausted
    • wake up excited

The amount of sleep varies based on genetics and other factors. Anywhere from 4-10 hours may be optimal. Most people will need about 8 hours.

It's not about how many hours you stay in bed, but how restorative is the sleep.

This may be funny, but it's actually possible to achieve by improving sleep quality:
I don’t limit my diet at all. I’ll head sleep around midnight and I usually have a few sips of Coke before I go to sleep. If I wake in middle of night and can’t fall back asleep I’ll have a some more Coke. Don’t know why but a little caffeine puts me to sleep. Then I usually sleep through until 9am and wake up. My sleep ring tells me that my sleep sucks. I move around alot. But I’m getting 8-9 hours and I’m never tired during the day. Been like this for past 20 years.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Abstinence from alcohol works well too.

I do notice a difference in falling asleep and not waking up at 3am.

I also jump right out of bed in the morning with no fatigue or another hour of snoozing.

adnanazmi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 22, 2023
Colombo, Sri Lana
If you do all these tips, why would you have to get in bed an hour before your sleep time? Doesn’t make any sense.
Starting out it helps. I have gotten to a point [Thanks to God] where I can sleep within 15 minutes of going to bed.
Some days when I got a lot in mind it takes a little longer to quite down those thoughts.

Thank you for your reply.

To specify, starting out it is smart to get into bed 30 min - 1 hour before bed (applies differently to different people and different situations). And as your sleep skill improves you can reduce the time before sleeping in bed.

adnanazmi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 22, 2023
Colombo, Sri Lana
I don’t limit my diet at all. I’ll head sleep around midnight and I usually have a few sips of Coke before I go to sleep. If I wake in middle of night and can’t fall back asleep I’ll have a some more Coke. Don’t know why but a little caffeine puts me to sleep. Then I usually sleep through until 9am and wake up. My sleep ring tells me that my sleep sucks. I move around alot. But I’m getting 8-9 hours and I’m never tired during the day. Been like this for past 20 years.
It may be that your body has become tolerant to caffeine.

Biophase I mean no offence but drinking that much of Coke over such long periods must have some health drawbacks... becareful.

AdamRyanUK

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Apr 7, 2023

Hi man,

I've had sleep problems before and a lot of the problem came from me focussing too much on sleep and worrying I was not functioning optimally. Resolution came from accepting that my body functions just fine and that nothing is wrong with me. Particularly, I had to promise to myself that I was going to stop altering behaviour and tracking things to get sleep and accept however many hours I got. Try going to bed and just lying there and saying to yourself "I am resting my body tonight" don't worry about how many hours sleep you get, just rest your body. It means that if you try and sleep and it is noisy outside then just lie there relax and accept that this is how the world is, nothing is perfect. It means that you might go for that night out and accept you will not get enough sleep the next day. For people without sleep problems they might get less sleep than needed and then just move on, they wouldn't think about it the next day. If alcohol is involved then i'd reccomend dropping it to get back to your normal body carcadian and digestive patterns but I do drink coffee without worrying about caffiene intake etc. So, I guess this goes against a lot of the things you hear in popular culture like you need 8 hours a day and you need optimal light conditions etc. Dog's don't have trouble sleeping in a crowded noisy room, your aim is to be as f***kless as a dog. Your sleep WILL vary and there is no optimal thing to aim for. Just relax. The aim is to deactivate your hypervigilant sympathetic nervous system. I hope this helps in some way. You become what you focus on so I do think that to a certain extent if you focus on sleep and how to improve it a lot it ironically can reduce the quality of sleep. This is not a professional opinion however, just my own personal experience.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
My sleep ring tells me that my sleep sucks.
Numbers don't lie.

Caffeine is known to disrupt your sleep pattern and deprive you of slow-wave and REM sleep. It doesn't matter how many hours you spend in bed, it doesn't matter you you feel about your sleep. Those stages of sleep are vital for our long term health.

I would strongly encourage you to remove caffeine from your life for the next 6 months, and see how you feel. If you don't like it, you can always switch back.

I'm currently in the process of tapering off caffeine and removing it by the end of Q2. Thread here.

By having a compromised sleep you are cutting off years, or even decades from your lifespan. And you are also putting yourself at a significant risk of developing debilitating neurodegenerative diseases later in life.

This is no joke. Sleep needs to be taken very seriously.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Some observations on my sleep...

Whenever I have sugar too close to bedtime, I have terrible nightmares. The amount of sugar has to be way above my normal intake for any given day. This doesn't happen often, but when it does, it is noticeable, and I recognized the pattern.

Also, for years I needed to have white noise to sleep, something like a fan. I recently removed the white noise and swapped in ear plugs for total silence, and a sleep mask for total darkness... basically total sensory deprivation.

This helped tremendously.

According to my Oura ring, I get mostly 90 sleep scores now.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Numbers don't lie.

Caffeine is known to disrupt your sleep pattern and deprive you of slow-wave and REM sleep. It doesn't matter how many hours you spend in bed, it doesn't matter you you feel about your sleep. Those stages of sleep are vital for our long term health.

I would strongly encourage you to remove caffeine from your life for the next 6 months, and see how you feel. If you don't like it, you can always switch back.
I have gone caffeine free for 2 months, by drinking caffeine free coke and my sleep scores and habits did not change at all. I slept at the same time and woke up at the same time.

I should mention that I don't drink any coffee at all. I don't need anything in the morning to "wake" me up. I can wake up and go 3-4 hours without food, just water.

I've also seen that the Oura ring misses times when I go use the bathroom in the middle of the night or even when I go downstairs and get a drink at 3am. I've since read studies of the Oura ring accuracy which turns out it's not very good.

I feel like there were times when the results would subconsciously affect my day. If I woke up and the data said I slept horribly, I'd start to make excuses of why my workout was bad or why I shouldn't be feeling great. So I just started to ignore the data.

Honestly, I wake up every morning feeling great, whether the ring said I had a good sleep or not. I really attribute this to not having an alarm clock. I just wake up whenever my body wakes up. I get 8-9 hours of sleep a night.

I'm currently in the process of tapering off caffeine and removing it by the end of Q2. Thread here.

By having a compromised sleep you are cutting off years, or even decades from your lifespan. And you are also putting yourself at a significant risk of developing debilitating neurodegenerative diseases later in life.

This is no joke. Sleep needs to be taken very seriously.
Yes, I agree that sleep is super important. But I've never had a sleeping problem due to food. The biggest issue for me is the temperature of the bedroom. I sleep much better in cold temps.

Striver

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Mar 23, 2017
USA
For me, it was challenging to get used to going to bed at the same time. I used to go to sleep after 01:00, but eventually, I managed to go to bed at 22:00 and wake up early for exercise. I decided to take control of my time because my lifestyle was leading me to a dead end.

I noticed that reading puts me to sleep quite quickly, so I started reading every night around 22:00, and within 20-30 minutes, I fall asleep. You should try it too.

Then, over time, I learned that sleep is not just about quantity but also about quality. You can feel very different after 8 hours of sleep on a quality pillow and mattress compared to 8 hours on regular ones. I would highly recommend trying it if you still sleep on a cheap pillow and mattress. Pluto, where I got my pillows from, offers a 125-night trial for each of their pillows. I think it's worth a try, and the results will speak for themselves.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.