The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Do you have any tips for sleep improvement?

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I always used meditations, meditation music.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
There is a whole section on sleep in my thread. Everything you need to know.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
541%
Apr 17, 2022
Light is one of the most important factors.
Get plenty of light in the morning, get none at night. Sleep in a pitch black room.

For the last few weeks I've been on a variation of the keto diet and I've gradually reduced my caffeine intake. Sleep has never been better.

I get extremely tired at night and fall asleep in 5 minutes, and wake up full of energy and ready to destroy the day.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
621%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Go do this:

Lift heavy weights, something to shock your CNS earlier in the day.

No mid day naps.

Go to a hot sauna that night, like 7-9pm. Like 210 degrees, then cold tub, then back into sauna, take a break, do it again and shock your system, repeat like 6-8 rounds.

That night, you will sleep feeling like your soul is a foot below your bed and that gravity is like you're on Jupiter. You will be OUT for the whole night and wake up thinking "holy shit, that was what sleep should be like". You will not toss and turn, you will be crawling into bed knowing you truly deserve your sleep and it will feel so pleasurable.

You can get all the stupid blackout curtains, blue light blocking glasses, and not drink any caffeine all you want, the other day I slept a full 8 hours on a couch in a room with the lights all still completely on and was fine. I wouldn't make it a habit, but you are masking the problem.

On most days, you just need to do something to deserve your sleep. You don't deserve any sleep if you've been inside, no sunshine, no hard work, no expenditure. You need to do hard things, it is your body telling you something.

kendamakid

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Apr 14, 2018
USA
all i have is a cold room and a weighted blanket. is there any suggestions you guys have ?
Use your bed only for sleeping, no TV, reading or extracurricular activities

Get up and go to bed at the same time

Regular exercise, eat well and don't eat at least three hours before bedtime and no caffeine intake after the morning hours

designernils

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Feb 3, 2023
Munich
Here is a more or less complete list for a quality sleep (from my applied knowledge and it worked well for me):

• Have at least a quality 8-9 hours uninterrupted sleep
  • Have a regular routine for going to bed and getting up
  • Silence (which is obvious)
  • Dark room (absolutely darkness, no polluted light - that means no street lamps shining in your bed room, no glowing alarm clocks, etc.)
  • Have a clean and tidied bedroom
  • No electronic devices in the bedroom at all
  • Use the bedroom only for sleeping or meditating.
  • Fresh air from an open window
  • Invest in a firm high-quality mattress (avoid feather or really soft mattresses)
  • Room temperature around 60 to 67 degrees Fahrenheit / 15.6 to 19.4 degrees Celsius (easily achieved, if the windows are opened to let in fresh air)
  • Avoid eating and drinking 2-3 hours before bedtime
  • Avoid caffeine intake after 3-4 pm
  • Be very active throughout the day to be dead-tired in the evening
  • No usage of electronic displays about 1-2 hours before sleeping
  • Winding down before sleeping by meditating, reading a book, journaling, crafting, etc.
  • Flat / Thin pillow for your head (to avoid rounded shoulders)
  • Sleep positions - actually "please yourself" and yet there are other better positions
    • Try to sleep on the right side, promoting blood circulation and also to avoid applying pressure on the heart (if sleeping on the left side) - mostly recommended to weak and nervous sleepers
    • Sleeping on the belly is also an option, but rather suitable for sleepers with a strong chest (in this case, the pillow must be removed). Also recommended to people with asthma
    • Sleeping half on the right side and half on the stomach, with the right arm thrown behind the back.
    • Don't sleep always in the same position during the night, otherwise it will disturb the harmonious development of body cells
  • Don't sleep with your clothes on (which means, splitter naked), as your body temperature will heat up the bed anyway.
  • Use your blanket according to the season and try to have one that is neither too warm nor too cold.

I could improve my sleep dramatically, especially when I left off my clothes and adjusted my sleeping positions - mostly thanks to "My Sun Bathing and Fresh Air System" by J.P. Muller. This book has confirmed my suspicions more than enough. You can read the chapter about quality sleep in this link: My Sun Bathing And Fresh Air System : Muller J. P. : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

N.S.

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Aug 26, 2013
UK
all i have is a cold room and a weighted blanket. is there any suggestions you guys have ?
Lots of good tips in the posts above.

Look up Dr Andrew Huberman, he is a Stanford professor and has a couple of excellent podcast (called The Huberman Lab) episodes on this topic which cover the basics of good sleep hygiene and also some more recent findings.

Also look up the work of Matthew Walker, one of the world's leading sleep scientists.

Both of these gents are easy to understand and share lots of practical and realistic tips for the modern day.

Spenny

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
A two things I've found recently:
  1. This guy.
  2. Weighted blanket - this maybe bullshit placebo but I do not care. Why would you not want to feel like you're being hugged all night?

piano

Trying to find the right notes
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
Weighted blanket - this maybe bullshit placebo but I do not care. Why would you not want to feel like you're being hugged all night?
I need this.

Spenny

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
@piano it's been the best £35 I've spent in a while. I'd go on the slightly heavier side.

piano

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
@piano it's been the best £35 I've spent in a while. I'd go on the slightly heavier side.
Do you have any links or brands that you like or are good?

Spenny

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
Do you have any links or brands that you like or are good?
I nabbed this one. Bog standard, feels good to the touch, its a little light at 8kg for me but its still good. I'm 70kg.

Edit: General rule is that you need 10-15% of your body weight.

piano

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
I nabbed this one. Bog standard, feels good to the touch, its a little light at 8kg for me but its still good. I'm 70kg.

Edit: General rule is that you need 10-15% of your body weight.
I bought a 10kg one...

Spenny

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
I have trouble sleeping at times, what helps me is Melatonin at times, but I cycle of it like steroids as it starts to become less effective after a while. 1 month on, 1 month off them.

Sleep hygiene helps a heap.

Clean sheets, and pillow cases etc.

MakeItHappen

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Apr 12, 2012
For me, the biggest improvement by far was sticking to my sleep schedule.

It took about 1-2 months for my body to really get used to it.

I had tried other things for years like blue light blocker, meditation, cold room, very dark room, enough cool down time...

While these might be beneficial... without a sleep schedule to stick to nothing has worked well for me. So in terms of the Pareto principle sticking to your sleep schedule is the 20% than will give you 80% of the results.

One thing that I started doing along the way is to take a walk first thing in the morning (for sunlight expose) and I take a walk when the sun goes down. But even before that, I say the benefits of sticking to my schedule.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.