The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Stop the ride...

Gufrion

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Sep 2, 2017
Oklahoma
This may be the only post I ever make here, but here goes...

I have fought my way up a career ladder for the last 12 years or so. I started out making 24k a year in construction, and I'm currently making about 100k per year. The closer I got to the top, the clearer the real picture became. It would never afford me what I dreamed about... I would never be free.

It felt horrible, and it was depressing. My life wasn't any better than when I started the journey and I still had nothing to show for nearly 12 years of very exhausting struggle. It was a Merry-go-round ride that I no longer wished to be riding.

I did exhaustive research. I have always been a rapid and intuitive learner. I was up all night for literally months and my work suffered (oh well). Everything from Forex, stocks and bonds, book writing, save your pennies and avoid debt, youtube channels... any way to regain my freedom that I could think about, I researched. I learned quite a bit, I gained a LOT of clarity... but I'm no closer to being rich or free.

During some research I stumbled upon Millionaire Fastlane . It was an excellent book, and it articulated a lot of things that I had learned very well. I listened to the entire audio book in a single day. Ultimately it brought me to this forum to continue my research.

I'm nowhere near the end of my journey, but after sitting on this forum and searching for entrepreneurial answers, I'm noticing a glaring truth that's bugging me enough to write about...

Is this really it? Have I traded one ladder for another? The more look into this side of life, the more I can see the dogma in place. Everyone has a system. FBA, ecommerce, learn copy, affiliate marketing, lead generation... work hard and climb the ladder! Millions of people are preaching the same golden hymn but the don't seem to have millions of dollars. It seems like the only people who are getting rich from it are the ones selling the eBooks and programs.

Everyone says "Just do it", "Start today and make your first sell, grow from there", "Solve problems and give value"... just seems like new mantras on a new ladder.

Don't get me wrong, I have no answers. Just trying to figure out how to stop wasting my time. How to stop wasting my life. This isn't me asking for advice either. I'm sure some of you can make a very comfortable living doing the things you're good at...

But I'm going to find my own path. I'm tired of being on these rides.

See you guys on the other side.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
May 27, 2013
United States
In a sense, yes, entrepreneurship is another ladder, because you have to start from square one and develop new skills. It will take time to see any success.

However, think of each rung of the ladder as a money making system, and the higher you go the more systems you have in place and the more exponential your income/wealth grows.

That's the potential.

Whats the potential of your construction job?

jick5555

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 20, 2017
South London
Entrepreneurship could be deemed as another ladder but it's a ladder with a far higher ceiling and a lot of you're income would be automated, little to no manual work will required to be put in for money to be obtained after it's set up in the correct money. I have respect for effort, the work you put in is simply what you get out (that goes for you're construction career also!). Keep going.

TheSmokey1

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Jul 11, 2017
The World
This may be the only post I ever make here, but here goes...

I have fought my way up a career ladder...

...I did exhaustive research. I have always been a rapid and intuitive learner. ... I researched. ...I learned quite a bit, I gained a LOT of clarity... but I'm no closer to being rich or free.

I'm nowhere near the end of my journey, but after sitting on this forum and searching ...

...Have I traded one ladder for another? ...

...Everyone says "Just do it", "Start today and make your first sell, grow from there", "Solve problems and give value"... just seems like new mantras on a new ladder.

Don't get me wrong, I have no answers. Just trying to figure out how to stop wasting my time..

But I'm going to find my own path. I'm tired of being on these rides.

See you guys on the other side.

I was going to write a longer response, but why bother? Seems like a waste of time when your attitude is: you just got here, don't like it, and probably won't be back. But, maybe this will resonate with someone else.

A lot of your post seems to be about the analogy of 2 ladders, one being the corporate ladder you were/are on, and the other a new ladder. You are taking a look at these 2 ladders you have identified and telling yourself "Yup, they look about the same to me. I can either be on that ladder that sucks, or that ladder that sucks." That is a false choice, and a mindset I see a lot in people who never get anywhere. Not only that, it isn't even the real choice when you are at the starting line and deciding which path (ladder) to take. The reality about starting out on your own and being an entrepreneur, is really more like:
On one side I have a corporate ladder I can climb, on the other side I have no ladder at all. I can work hard, work smart, hustle, save, and get myself some wood, a hammer, and saw. Then I can, through my own efforts, start to build my own ladder. One day I expect to build my own ladder 10x bigger than the job ladder I was on. The difference being, before you were being led up someone else's ladder. At the end of that ladder, you have whatever you managed to save over a lifetime of your salary. On your own ladder, when you get to top, you own the entire thing - where you made it to, and every rung below it (and all the money you collected along the way). Now you are far more likely to be able to sell your ladder and cash out.

Not sure what "rides" you are referring to. I see research, learned, researched, learned, got some clarity, sitting, searching... and you are no closer to your goal. You are definitely right about that. You seem to have missed the parts in the book that talked about the process (work) that leads up to the event. "Just do it" IS a big part of what you are missing. The reality looks more like this: Ideas, research, learn, DO WORK, learn, refine, DO WORK, learn, refine, DO WORK.....
You are missing any form of DO, and it is hard work.

I don't know what you expected to find here. From your post I am guessing "free and easy". There are people on this site doing great things, but you aren't going to see that by peeking in the window for a minute.

I hope you do find your own path. If you don't change some of your attitude and action, it is likely to be a short path. Many people on this site are already on the other side, waiting for you.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
It doesn't take millions. I'm sure that you've read the following story, read it again. Then find @V8Bill and read his free book...

An American investment banker was at the pier of a small coastal Mexican village when a small boat with just one fisherman docked. Inside the small boat were several large yellowfin tuna. The American complimented the Mexican on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took to catch them.

The Mexican replied, “only a little while. The American then asked why didn’t he stay out longer and catch more fish? The Mexican said he had enough to support his family’s immediate needs. The American then asked, “but what do you do with the rest of your time?”

The "Mexican Fisherman" said, “I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take siestas with my wife, Maria, stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine, and play guitar with my amigos. I have a full and busy life.” The American scoffed, “I am a Harvard MBA and could help you. You should spend more time fishing and with the proceeds, buy a bigger boat. With the proceeds from the bigger boat, you could buy several boats, eventually you would have a fleet of fishing boats. Instead of selling your catch to a middleman you would sell directly to the processor, eventually opening your own cannery. You would control the product, processing, and distribution. You would need to leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City, then LA and eventually New York City, where you will run your expanding enterprise.”

The "Mexican Fisherman" asked, “But, how long will this all take?”

To which the American replied, “15 – 20 years.”

“But what then?” Asked the Mexican.

The American laughed and said, “That’s the best part. When the time is right you would announce an IPO and sell your company stock to the public and become very rich, you would make millions!”

“Millions – then what?”

The American said, “Then you would retire. Move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take siestas with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos.”

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
It doesn't take millions. I'm sure that you've read the following story, read it again. Then find @V8Bill and read his free book...

An American investment banker was at the pier of a small coastal Mexican village when a small boat with just one fisherman docked. Inside the small boat were several large yellowfin tuna. The American complimented the Mexican on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took to catch them.

The Mexican replied, “only a little while. The American then asked why didn’t he stay out longer and catch more fish? The Mexican said he had enough to support his family’s immediate needs. The American then asked, “but what do you do with the rest of your time?”

The "Mexican Fisherman" said, “I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take siestas with my wife, Maria, stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine, and play guitar with my amigos. I have a full and busy life.” The American scoffed, “I am a Harvard MBA and could help you. You should spend more time fishing and with the proceeds, buy a bigger boat. With the proceeds from the bigger boat, you could buy several boats, eventually you would have a fleet of fishing boats. Instead of selling your catch to a middleman you would sell directly to the processor, eventually opening your own cannery. You would control the product, processing, and distribution. You would need to leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City, then LA and eventually New York City, where you will run your expanding enterprise.”

The "Mexican Fisherman" asked, “But, how long will this all take?”

To which the American replied, “15 – 20 years.”

“But what then?” Asked the Mexican.

The American laughed and said, “That’s the best part. When the time is right you would announce an IPO and sell your company stock to the public and become very rich, you would make millions!”

“Millions – then what?”

The American said, “Then you would retire. Move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take siestas with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos.”
Ah yes. I love that story.

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
Thanks @jon.a I too love that story.

@Gufrion please take a look at the thread in my signature and read the initial post then download and read or listen to my audio-book. I freely give it away to Fastlane members because...fastlane members. I wrote it specifically to address the issue you're facing (which is very common by the way) and I truly believe it will help you get your head around "what it's all about".

Wealth can be found at most incomes. All it needed was a slightly different definition and a fresh new way to look at money and wealth and the whole question of "how much do I need to feel and be genuinely wealthy". We do need more money, I'd even go so far as to say "a fair bit more" but you certainly don't need to be a millionaire to feel wealthy. In fact being a millionaire doesn't guarantee you'll feel wealthy at all. Being a millionaire is awesome (lots of fun things you can do all day) but you can easily gain the financial peace and clarity you're searching for within your current income or perhaps a little more. It's all in the mindset (as most things are). I wrote the book based on my own personal "near wealth experience"...I'm sure you'll find it useful.

inputchip

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
410%
Mar 26, 2017
www.tmkings.com
It all comes back to the wealth trinity. Relationships, health, and choice.

It always amazes me how many people come on here and think they need to become millionaires to achieve true happiness or wealth. It is surprising how little income is required to achieve wealth. Once your monthly income (divorced from time) exceeds your monthly expenses, you can retire. It's that simple.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...