The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Stop telling us what you did. Show us what you achieved.

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

maverick

Aspice, officio fungeris sine spe honoris ampliori
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Oct 26, 2012
There seems to be a new trend.

Lots of progress threads are opened where people share their day-to-day activities.

Stop using progress threads as a way to justify to yourself that you're progressing when really you've been procrastinating.

Start showing. Stop telling.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TKDTyler

The Tea Guy
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
347%
Aug 25, 2014
Fox, do you mean i am one of them who tell what i did not show what i achieved?

He is saying that the OP is asking for something he has yet to even produce. He’s been part of the forum since 2013, yet hasn’t even started a progress thread of his own after 6 years.

Daily action > No action.

OP only wants to hear about the events - not the process.

Things you can show = events.
Things you can say you did = actions.

Actions > Events on this forum.

BlackMagician

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Jul 18, 2018
Mumbai, India
He is saying that the OP is asking for something he has yet to even produce. He’s been part of the forum since 2013, yet hasn’t even started a progress thread of his own after 6 years.

Oh. Pretty much explained. Thanks for clarification. Off to execution!

MHP368

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Aug 17, 2016
Sahuarita AZ
There seems to be a new trend.

Lots of progress threads are opened where people share their day-to-day activities.

Stop using progress threads as a way to justify to yourself that you're progressing when really you've been procrastinating.

Start showing. Stop telling.

I disagree , a progress thread is great self reflection and how many have we seen where they abandon a project with no legs and pursue something else (and start a new thread)? , if they didn't have the thread and some sense of urgency / obligation , a few folks rooting them on and some pointing out obvious flaws these folks would still be going it alone at home on that first bad idea.

How many of the progress threads are notable or gilded? , if folks didn't start progress threads until theyd done something awesome then we would miss out on lots of pragmatic tips and insight.

Sure you can fill the thread with mundane busy work that might be called "action faking" more than progress (no one cares that it took you 6 hours on google to decide to go ahead and form an llc) but we have this reading ability called "skimming" available to use.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe

Exactly - there are a lot of detailed progress threads on here where people have made massive results.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States

A progress thread is not necessary to be a part of this forum. I'd only be irritated if he had one, and it was a bunch of action faking baloney.

I share the sentiments of the OP.

Have your progress thread. Post updates about what you've done, and less about what you're going to do.

The act of telling others that you are going to do something, produces dopamine just like doing the actual thing does. You feel like you did something, when you didn't. It actually makes you less likely to do the thing you said you were going to do.

The way I take the OP, he's cool with actions and events.

It's the non-events and non-action that are unnecessary.

Lots of ways to interpret written text. Maybe @maverick can jump in here and clarify his position.

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
If I wanted nothing but the survivorship biased end results I would go watch YouTube videos about how "I made $200k drop shipping in 1 month!"

A good progress thread has a few parts to make it educational to follow.
  1. Goal setting & a plan of attack
  2. Updates pertaining to those goals & plans
  3. Interaction from & with the crowd
If it was nothing but "I closed a new client and secured $1,800 MRR for 6 months" followed by a similar post every few weeks...boring & braggadocio.

But when it's "I want to reach $2,500 MRR so I can leave my min wage job. I'll be crushing 60 cold calls on my days off. How's my script? (1 week later) Man cold calling is kicking my a$$, but I have a meeting set up. (1 week later) Secured my first deal for $1,800 every month for 6 months! I had to make over 400 calls, have 6 meetings, and I have another meeting tomorrow!" that's telling a story that unfolds over time.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
1.What are you going to do?
2.When will it be completed?
3.Go F*cking do it.
4.Report the results.
5.List the next things to do.
Loop.....

Leave out 3? Leave out the progress thread. That what @maverick is trying to say?

I also agree w/ @Fox

maverick

Aspice, officio fungeris sine spe honoris ampliori
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Oct 26, 2012
OP - you first
This is a fair challenge.

Progress threads have the most value when activities are shared that have been done over a period of time. A retrospective if you will.

These posts always share outcomes of these activities. This can be anything, e.g. sharing the outcome of a certain meeting, a photo of a new warehouse or products being delivered, or even a screenshot of amazon sales volume.

I don't "only want to hear about the events - not the process". The process is what I've outlined above. The process is actually a series of activities followed by events.

The number 1 factor that determines whether or not someone perseveres is by using positive feedback loops. Taking action, and then seeing the results of that action i.e. the "events".

I'm interested in understanding what positive feedback loops other entrepreneurs use to keep going. These are the things that we can actually learn from.

Let's keep the discussion objective and steer clear of incorrect assertions and ad hominem attacks.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.