The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
There is a scene in the movie ”Anger Management” where Dave is asked a simple question: “tell us, who are you?”

As you can see it evolved quickly into a comical moment where Dave flipped out. Clearly it’s not a simple question!

That question is the most important one for every one of us to answer as we travel our paths through business.

In fact, I’ll tell you now, some of you reading this aren’t being honest with yourselves. And it is holding you back. And it is a source of a lot of conflict in your life, including on this forum.

The answer to this question is never some epiphany, it’s a long arduous process of self discovery through your actions. Watching your own results, reflecting - you get a glimpse at who you are. Leaning into it will help you become more successful.

Survival -> Status -> Freedom -> Purpose​

Members of the FLF miscommunicate often. Often because we are at different stages and can’t understand each other. A person in a Survival mode want answers on how to make enough to pay rent. Those who‘ve made a few things work and are now buying Lambos are chasing status, they want the world to see that all those struggles paid off. But typically if they continue, they hit their exit number and achieve freedom. I think a good example is the 8-figure duo: @fastlane_dad and @NeoDialectic. They had their status while still in business, once they sold it, most of their stories here are now about freedom. And then there are people like @MTF who values freedom above all else, including status, actively avoiding showing off his status. To him it’s about being able to enjoy life of travel, activities etc. Then there is the man himself @MJ DeMarco who clearly travelled through to the Purpose, the main reason we are here: his books. You don’t write books like that for any other reason, it’s too much work.

Don’t judge people based on their outcome​

If you are just starting out, it’s easy to get stars in your eyes. You’ve read the books, you come here and see a few threads with success stories and boom, you want it all, how can you not? But not everyone should be an entrepreneur. Not everyone is cut out to be one or should even try. Self-reflection can save you a lot of grief.

Those who read about MJ’s lambo, often (or most of the time) don’t see the struggle and stress that came before it.

What’s most important to you?

What if I asked you to choose between having a family (children) and having a lambo - which would you choose?
If you have kids, what is the amount of money it would take for you to skip your child’s play? You know that disappointed look in their eyes because you weren’t there and they wanted you to see?!
How many hours of work do you feel is reasonable to put in into your business per week and for how long? Are you prepared for the 18 hour long days, bitter disappointment of not landing what you hoped and starting “from scratch” again while your family watches you?

Who are you? Deep down, you know parts of the answer to that question. You could be like Elon musk or maybe freelance solopreneur is better suited for you… or maybe being an employee is the best choice. Steve Balmer was an employee… this should open your eyes to see that employees can get big rewards too! But only those who act like entrepreneurs inside their organizations.

So again, who are you? How does it align with what you want?

Are you lazy and risk averse but dreaming of making f-u money? That’s contradictory and you’ll need to either change what you want or change YOU.

Rock bottom (FTE)​

Change is hard… most people talk about change but a) don’t look inwards to understand what needs changing and do nothing, b) may realize some superficial weaknesses but still sabotage any real change. Humans default to what is familiar, we repeat what we know or experienced in the past.

Rock bottom doesn’t happen on a whim. It’s a culmination of many (typically years) of poor choices that lead to “F*ck this, never again” event. This is where change is less painful than not changing at all. Honestly, this is where typically you see people finally let go of attachments to the past and are finally willing to change.

When I was a kid, I never thought of becoming a business owner. I thought a good job would be well… good. But the disfunctions within my family and fights over money left me convinced that I can’t be happy without money (generally false but was true to me). That association made me notice how the richest pepole we knew, those who didn’t seem to have money problems were all business people. Same family disfunction made it easy for me to leave the nest at 17. Most will struggle to leave the comfort of home! My “rock bottom” happened a few times in life, but different each time. I not only left home, I left the city and the country. I became fluent in English and moved continents. Never coming back…

One day working as a janitor at a hotel, I was reprimanded by my “manager” for taking home a roll. Rule was: if the roll is less than 1/3 full, you can throw it out and replace it, otherwise don’t. Apparently my eye judgement wasn’t same as my “manager”. It killed me inside … to live in a way where someone is judging me over a F*cking 1/3 roll of toiler paper! F*ck. Rock bottom. Never again.

I had to change myself. And I did…

Years later, when people look at our family and how we live, it’s easy to get the impression it was and is now all easy … it wasn’t and it isn’t. And here’s the kicker, Elon Musk is a billionaire yet It’s still hard for him. The stress is always there.

Is this the life for you?

Who are you?​

Knowing yourself is a lifelong pursuit too. But without even trying, you could be hitting the wall and not knowing why you can’t succeed. People like @Black_Dragon43 are driven to the point of massive sacrifice, people like @MTF aren’t. It took me years to start realizing how our differences aren’t bad, they are good. To be happy we must align who we are with what we do. I can’t imagine the misery I’d feel if I ”retired” because I feel I was meant to run a company, to be part of making deals, creating teams and products. Yet I am not willing to sacrifice all family time, quite the opposite. I am unlikely to become an Elon because I am not willing to work the way he does, to make sacrifices the way he does. @Kak won‘t ever retire either, spending time on a beach with a fruity drink will bore him to death. He’ll drive hard fro as long as he’s moving to do bigger things. Yet he too won’t leave his family just for some dollar bills. He values that balance while the kids are young to teach kids all he knows. That’s part of Purpose.

So, dear reader, who are you? Have you thought about it?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Nightwolf

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Mar 15, 2023
I am told my great great grandfathers were very rich. So rich that they were one of the first to have a private helicopter in the country. But my grandfather and his father lost it all in gambling. This lead to my family being so poor that my father had no room to take risk and opted for a job to ensure stability in his life.

For me, it's different. I don't need to take care of my parents because they are all well set. I can take risks, I got nothing to lose. My father works for JP Morgan and is among the top 5% employees, so people expect me to follow in his footsteps. But I don't want that at all!

My brother, one day, came home with a welcome box from his recent internship that he got. He was showing off the stuff to us. "Look at this cool laptop, it's a 1000 bucks!" "Ooh look free airpods too!!"
My mom said, "you'll get these stuff too soon"
I scoffed and said "no, I will be the one giving these stuff"

I believe I was meant to be an entrepreneur. I want to help people. Give opportunities to people who weren't dealt the best hands. Provide immense value to the world. But I want freedom too. I want a family and I can't work like Elon. My friend, son of one of my recent clients, wants to take over the family business and never wants to sell, he wants to work like Elon and make sacrifices.

I thought I'd share the little I know about myself. So much more to find out, back to work!

Thanks for this amazing post antifragile!

Aidan04

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Apr 27, 2022
United States
“We’re here to put a dent in the universe. Otherwise why else even be here?”
― Steve Jobs

This is who I am. More than money, more than freedom, more than anything else, I want to build things that last.

I will live forever, because someday people will be using my products, software, or services long after I am gone.

My last name has never been in the history books, and my bloodline (as well as my current family) has always been full of working-class individuals. Hard workers who got shit done. But now I will be using a different system than them to get even better shit done.

My "spirit" lives within all of what I build. My ultimate intent is to change the world for the better, and let those who come after remember my name.

perchboy

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Aug 7, 2022
Toronto, Canada
I haven’t gotten enough of a taste of life yet to know what I want.

Start a family?
Travel?
Drive supercars?
Help others?

Maybe all of the above!

I don’t know yet.

But what I do know is that I am extremely grateful for this invaluable gift of life and I must make the most out of it as a tribute to God.

I can’t throw away hours, days, months, and years of my time doing something that doesn’t bring me joy. To be on my deathbed looking back at my life without a smile would be a disgrace.

Having a CENTS business will grant me the freedom to do whatever I want with my life and make the most out of it.

So if I don’t know exactly what I want in life yet, I may as well set my future self up to have the freedom to choose what he wants.

Panos Daras

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Oct 10, 2022
I haven’t gotten enough of a taste of life yet to know what I want.

Start a family?
Travel?
Drive supercars?
Help others?

Maybe all of the above!
All the above is the correct answer. You can do everything you want. You cannot do everything at the same time.

Jrjohnny

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 18, 2023
I want to be a good father.

Like that dad that his kids would think he was legit a superhero.

I want to be fit enough to run and play with my kids whenever I want without being burnt out.

I want to be free enough to play and run with my kids whenever I want without having to work.

I want to be energetic enough to help my kids with their homework.

I want to be energetic enough to laugh with my wife and kids.

I want to be able to hangout with my wife whenever I want.

I want to be that superhero for my kids.

I want to be happy enough that material stuff isn’t the only stuff that will make me happy.

I want to be that dad my kids raise their hands in school and say “my dad solved that problem!”

“Hey that’s my dad!”

“My dad is so cool”

I want to solve problems, so people could be happy enough to hang out with their kids.

I want to be that guy who says “it all started with “I want”.”

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Survival -> Status -> Freedom -> Purpose
Interesting and true progression.

I feel that I've blown past status and freedom to purpose with a very little detour at each of them.

Status, I tried the fancy cars, expensive travel, metal credit card, fine dining, thing it is better than not having it, but is no longer a priority.

Now that I have kids, we spend a lot more time at home. A large estate on acreage, "my new want," is less about status and more about comfort and room for my family. Few outside of family and close friends will ever lay eyes on it.

I didn't like the Instagram douche without instagram lifestyle and the attention it garnered. I'm more business cowboy than on display "rich guy." I no longer like German cars. I don't strive for fine timepieces or expensive suits. We no longer go out to fancy dinners like we used to because of our son. We MUCH prefer the casual grill at the country club where we are now regulars, they know us, and even talk to my son. We grill a lot at home and when we do occasionally go to the really top end places, we always laugh and think we could do it better.

Basically I've seen enough to know there's no real feeling of completeness in status.

Freedom? Like no responsibility? I have found more enjoyment in taking on the responsibility of a family and continue to grow it. I like a business that rewards solid ongoing leadership to take the reins and boldly do stuff. Freedom for me is responsibility for things I want to be responsible for. I'm free to be "stuck" here. I lived the bachelor life around the same time I was also a status seeker. I was free to do whatever whenever and had the resources to do most of it. I had the easygoing lifestyle business that did well enough with minimal time. Meh.

Rooted family life is better for me and I'm thankful my life didn't stay there.

Now we get to purpose...

I have several. Ephesians 2:10 discusses being called according to God's purpose. It's bigger than me. I'm to lead an awesome family. I'm to build resourceful businesses that improve the lives of people around me. I'm to create value where there wasn't value previously and never stop trying to leave this world an ever better place than it was before I showed up.

THAT gets me FAR more excited than a car, jet or even my eventual acrage estate. Purpose. Purpose never stops.

No one would ever ask an author when enough books are enough. No one would ever ask an artist when enough works are enough. It's not about me and my comfort. Ironically I like responsibility and purpose better than being completely selfish, so I'm still getting what I want.

One of my good friends and board member of my company has more money than he needs to live 500 more years. Yet, he works for charity now. Everything he makes is donated. It's still purpose.

Last edited:

Shono

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
314%
Aug 8, 2021
Bumping this because it would be a disservice not to. Amazing post, really made me think of my priorities.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

DarkKnight

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jan 3, 2020
There is a scene in the movie ”Anger Management” where Dave is asked a simple question: “tell us, who are you?”

As you can see it evolved quickly into a comical moment where Dave flipped out. Clearly it’s not a simple question!

That question is the most important one for every one of us to answer as we travel our paths through business.

In fact, I’ll tell you now, some of you reading this aren’t being honest with yourselves. And it is holding you back. And it is a source of a lot of conflict in your life, including on this forum.

The answer to this question is never some epiphany, it’s a long arduous process of self discovery through your actions. Watching your own results, reflecting - you get a glimpse at who you are. Leaning into it will help you become more successful.

Members of the FLF miscommunicate often. Often because we are at different stages and can’t understand each other. A person in a Survival mode want answers on how to make enough to pay rent. Those who‘ve made a few things work and are now buying Lambos are chasing status, they want the world to see that all those struggles paid off. But typically if they continue, they hit their exit number and achieve freedom. I think a good example is the 8-figure duo: @fastlane_dad and @NeoDialectic. They had their status while still in business, once they sold it, most of their stories here are now about freedom. And then there are people like @MTF who values freedom above all else, including status, actively avoiding showing off his status. To him it’s about being able to enjoy life of travel, activities etc. Then there is the man himself @MJ DeMarco who clearly travelled through to the Purpose, the main reason we are here: his books. You don’t write books like that for any other reason, it’s too much work.

If you are just starting out, it’s easy to get stars in your eyes. You’ve read the books, you come here and see a few threads with success stories and boom, you want it all, how can you not? But not everyone should be an entrepreneur. Not everyone is cut out to be one or should even try. Self-reflection can save you a lot of grief.

Those who read about MJ’s lambo, often (or most of the time) don’t see the struggle and stress that came before it.

What if I asked you to choose between having a family (children) and having a lambo - which would you choose?
If you have kids, what is the amount of money it would take for you to skip your child’s play? You know that disappointed look in their eyes because you weren’t there and they wanted you to see?!
How many hours of work do you feel is reasonable to put in into your business per week and for how long? Are you prepared for the 18 hour long days, bitter disappointment of not landing what you hoped and starting “from scratch” again while your family watches you?

Who are you? Deep down, you know parts of the answer to that question. You could be like Elon musk or maybe freelance solopreneur is better suited for you… or maybe being an employee is the best choice. Steve Balmer was an employee… this should open your eyes to see that employees can get big rewards too! But only those who act like entrepreneurs inside their organizations.

Are you lazy and risk averse but dreaming of making f-u money? That’s contradictory and you’ll need to either change what you want or change YOU.

Rock bottom (FTE)​

Change is hard… most people talk about change but a) don’t look inwards to understand what needs changing and do nothing, b) may realize some superficial weaknesses but still sabotage any real change. Humans default to what is familiar, we repeat what we know or experienced in the past.

Rock bottom doesn’t happen on a whim. It’s a culmination of many (typically years) of poor choices that lead to “F*ck this, never again” event. This is where change is less painful than not changing at all. Honestly, this is where typically you see people finally let go of attachments to the past and are finally willing to change.

When I was a kid, I never thought of becoming a business owner. I thought a good job would be well… good. But the disfunctions within my family and fights over money left me convinced that I can’t be happy without money (generally false but was true to me). That association made me notice how the richest pepole we knew, those who didn’t seem to have money problems were all business people. Same family disfunction made it easy for me to leave the nest at 17. Most will struggle to leave the comfort of home! My “rock bottom” happened a few times in life, but different each time. I not only left home, I left the city and the country. I became fluent in English and moved continents. Never coming back…

One day working as a janitor at a hotel, I was reprimanded by my “manager” for taking home a roll. Rule was: if the roll is less than 1/3 full, you can throw it out and replace it, otherwise don’t. Apparently my eye judgement wasn’t same as my “manager”. It killed me inside … to live in a way where someone is judging me over a F*cking 1/3 roll of toiler paper! F*ck. Rock bottom. Never again.

Years later, when people look at our family and how we live, it’s easy to get the impression it was and is now all easy … it wasn’t and it isn’t. And here’s the kicker, Elon Musk is a billionaire yet It’s still hard for him. The stress is always there.

Who are you?​

Knowing yourself is a lifelong pursuit too. But without even trying, you could be hitting the wall and not knowing why you can’t succeed. People like @Black_Dragon43 are driven to the point of massive sacrifice, people like @MTF aren’t. It took me years to start realizing how our differences aren’t bad, they are good. To be happy we must align who we are with what we do. I can’t imagine the misery I’d feel if I ”retired” because I feel I was meant to run a company, to be part of making deals, creating teams and products. Yet I am not willing to sacrifice all family time, quite the opposite. I am unlikely to become an Elon because I am not willing to work the way he does, to make sacrifices the way he does. @Kak won‘t ever retire either, spending time on a beach with a fruity drink will bore him to death. He’ll drive hard fro as long as he’s moving to do bigger things. Yet he too won’t leave his family just for some dollar bills. He values that balance while the kids are young to teach kids all he knows. That’s part of Purpose.

Such a high quality post. Well deserved promotion to Gold!

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia

Rock bottom (FTE)​

Who are you?​

It’s not an easy answer. I actually took personality test, bazi consultation, and horoscope reading to understand myself better.

It’s definitely an important qn because if not you will be trying to imitate the path and ways of someone that’s not suitable.

Jinzou

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Feb 1, 2024
Germany

Rock bottom (FTE)​

Who are you?​

Oh, how many times in my life have I asked myself this question? I still don't know the answer.

Strange things happen in my head when I close my eyes and really think about it. It's as if I'm looking at myself from the outside.
When I look in the mirror I see a face. Sure, that's me. But who is this 'me'?
There are questions that seem so powerful to me that they cause pure chaos in my mind. It is as if a heavy ball is bouncing around in my brain, considering the fragments of a thousand unspecific things as possibilities at the same time.

At some point it becomes so much that I think I "deliberately" stop thinking about it.
Even though I really want to find the answer.
I have a lot of premonitions or ideas about who I might be. An essence of my life will be to find out exactly that. To prove or disprove the hunches.

However, one thing is very clear to me, as I have been shown time and time again by reading many threads in this forum: I will only find the solution by actively coming out of my shell and setting things in motion.

New things. Big things. Crazy things.

Only then can I find the edges that will help me define "me".

I'm very grateful for that revelation.

What an exhausting chunk to genuinely think about.
It took me a lot of energy just to formulate this answer, and even now it's not as precise as I'd like it to be.

However, many thanks for putting this important message into words. It helped me to slow down this bouncing ball a little.
You have shown me the beginning of an order, the beginning of an answer.

Wael

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Jul 13, 2022
France

Rock bottom (FTE)​

Who are you?​

Se connaître est aussi une quête de toute une vie. Mais sans même essayer, vous pourriez vous heurter au mur et ne pas savoir pourquoi vous ne parvenez pas à réussir. Des gens comme @Black_Dragon43 sont poussés au point de faire des sacrifices massifs, ce qui n'est pas le cas des gens comme @MTF. Il m'a fallu des années pour commencer à réaliser à quel point nos différences ne sont pas mauvaises, elles sont bonnes. Pour être heureux, nous devons aligner qui nous sommes sur ce que nous faisons. Je ne peux pas imaginer la misère que je ressentirais si je « prenais ma retraite » parce que je sens que j'étais censé diriger une entreprise, participer à la conclusion de contrats, à la création d'équipes et de produits. Pourtant, je ne suis pas prêt à sacrifier tout le temps passé en famille, bien au contraire. Il est peu probable que je devienne un Elon parce que je ne suis pas disposé à travailler comme il le fait, à faire des sacrifices comme il le fait. @Kak ne prendra jamais non plus sa retraite, passer du temps sur une plage avec une boisson fruitée l'ennuiera à mort. Il conduira fort tant qu'il se déplacera pour faire de plus grandes choses. Pourtant, lui non plus ne quittera pas sa famille juste pour quelques billets d'un dollar. Il valorise cet équilibre pendant que les enfants sont jeunes pour leur enseigner tout ce qu'il sait. Cela fait partie du but.

Alors, cher lecteur, qui es-tu ? Y avez-vous pensé ?
Votre message est très pertinent et m'incite à faire ce travail introspectif sur moi-même. Je vis en France et mon objectif ultime est d'aider les sans-abri qui dorment dehors dans le froid. Le gouvernement ne fait rien pour ces gens, donc ma mission est de les sauver. Je veux aussi acheter des vêtements de luxe et conduire des supercars, accumulant suffisamment de richesse pour que mes enfants n'aient pas à se soucier de l'argent. J'ai 22 ans et je suis prêt à tout pour arriver à ce résultat, mais rien ne garantit que je n'échouerai pas.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.