The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Still in the process...

Leizer

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Feb 13, 2019
Phoenix Arizona
Hello everyone,
I was actually referred by @Eskil and he encouraged me to join this forum. As i'm in the middle of reading the TMF I see I'm in the right place so thank you to @MJ DeMarco for having this forum

I'm a 34 year old originally from Italy, and live in phoenix Arizona. Since i come from a religious Jewish family, my education was vast but nothing to do with regular college or business degrees or experiences. We have a very strict system that pretty much prepares you for being a Rabbi and until I got married at age of 24 I couldn't really focus on the "Making a leaving part" After I got married i went to lots of the regular jobs someone with no degrees or particular skills can afford. I was a Teacher helper a salesman at B&H photo video in Manhattan, Once I moved to Phoenix it got even worse. A bunch of commission based sales jobs, And Uber driver as well.
BUT!! I always liked to create things, I kept on looking on things and tried to thinkhow I can make them better? My problem was, that I didn't know where to go how to... I remember when I was still in NY I went to InventHelp and I was about to give them all of my savings and thank G-D I searched them first and saw they had left many aspiring inventors with shattered dreams and 10k less.
It's important to take yourself seriously What I mean is that I had to repeat to myself YES, you are an inventor and even though you don't really have something to show for it but keep on it and you will keep your chances alive to have the event you dreamed of.

Finally 3 years ago I contacted a small design company located in Mesa and started a project. My first time that i took the plunge and went for it. It's a physical product and I still don't have an actual business yet. I hit some bumps and road-blocks along the way but I'm driving.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

NMdad

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Aug 6, 2017
New Mexico
Welcome to the tribe!

For inventing a product, there are generally 2 routes:
  • licensing it to someone else
  • doing everything yourself (i.e., manufacturing, marketing, sales, distribution, etc.)
Obviously, licensing it to someone else violates the commandment of control, but might be easier, less expensive, and less time-intensive than doing everything yourself.

For the licensing route, you can read Stephen Keys's book "One Simple Idea". He breaks down the licensing process pretty clearly.

For the do-it-yourself route, you can check out this thread:
A related do-it-yourself route is to license something from someone else. @Vigilante has done a bunch of these deals. Here's a relevant thread:

Leizer

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Feb 13, 2019
Phoenix Arizona
Welcome to the tribe!

• doing everything yourself (i.e., manufacturing, marketing, sales, distribution, etc.)
Obviously, licensing it to someone else violates the commandment of control, but might be easier, less expensive, and less time-intensive than doing everything yourself.

For the licensing route, you can read Stephen Keys's book "One Simple Idea". He breaks down the licensing process pretty clearly.

A related do-it-yourself route is to license something from someone else. @Vigilante has done a bunch of these deals. Here's a relevant thread:
Welcome to the tribe!

Leizer

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Feb 13, 2019
Phoenix Arizona
Thank you very much!

I will definitely check out the Gold thread and perhaps the book is good to have.

Thruthfully, I'm kind of open to any route, but so far i'm doing it all. At this moment I actually just gave the green light just last week for tooling.

Wasn't all smooth though. I had a Kickstarter campaign that wasn't successful ( @Eskil helped me with a few things there and he did a good job but it still wasn't successful).
I had to pivot to presented as an outdoor pairing knife, something you take to your picnics, family outdoor adventures etc..
You can actually see what I'm talking about at safecutknife.com (I hope it's ok to show websites here since I'm not trying to sell anything).
I still need to change the website but you can get an idea of what it is.

All the best!

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
Very glad to see you joined the forum @Leizer !

I still think your SafeCutKnife still has really good potential, so I hope you don't give up on that one just yet. May I suggest that you create a progress thread, where you can keep yourself accountable, share your journey, but also get tips and feedback from others following you along ;)

Leizer

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Feb 13, 2019
Phoenix Arizona
Very glad to see you joined the forum @Leizer !

I still think your SafeCutKnife still has really good potential, so I hope you don't give up on that one just yet. May I suggest that you create a progress thread, where you can keep yourself accountable, share your journey, but also get tips and feedback from others following you along ;)

Thank you for the encouragement, that is a great idea. So just start a new thread and i would update the same thread? (Sorry, it's my first forum experience)

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
Yes. I suggest adding "[PROGRESS]" at the beginning of the thread title.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...